SuperSpeed Golf training system

Thanks for the response.

The coupling nuts I found at Home Depot is 1.75" long, so I figured 1" would be used to epoxy the nut to the shaft tip for a more secure bond. The remaining .75" is enough to accommodate varying length of bolts (from .75 and up to 2") depending on the number of washers used. Yes, loctite on the bolt is a good idea plus a ferrule on the epoxied side of the coupling nut.

My main concern is if swingweight matters in building SSG sticks, or just the total weight.

Why are folks building their own SSG trainers? Do people not believe $199 for 3 sticks with weighted cylinders isn't worth the cost? SSG spent years developing the exact weights for optimal results..

Ian poulter paid his $199, guess he didn’t want some home shopped washers and lead weights hitting fans who paid $200 to get into the event. It’s the little things.

Why are folks building their own SSG trainers? Do people not believe $199 for 3 sticks with weighted cylinders isn't worth the cost? SSG spent years developing the exact weights for optimal results..

Ian poulter paid his $199, guess he didn’t want some home shopped washers and lead weights hitting fans who paid $200 to get into the event. It’s the little things.

I agree with the other 30 people who gave reviews about SSG on Amazon.

I agree with the other 30 people who gave reviews about SSG on Amazon.

Gimme the cliff notes, what’d they say?

Problem is, SSG system costs too much for what it is. It is marked WAY up due to being golf related. Resourceful people can build their own set and spend much less than even 100 dollars and have a very comparable and useful set. The program they recommend isn't even earth shattering. Its a good idea, and the shiny package and workout routine really attracts some people and those people have some extra money so they don't need to make them. Good for them. Many of us are budget golfers with families or just not enough income to afford lessons, golf aids, or even new golf clubs. I am one of those people. I would love to have the real set, as they are prettier than what I have made but for me, what I have, and how I go about my own personal routine, gets results too. I got results beyond anything they have claimed by doing nothing but hitting crap loads of golf balls at the range. Its not rocket science. If you want to swing faster, then practice swinging faster.

Its like going to the gym the first time. You are wimpy wimpy but in just a few weeks you have huge gains weight lifting. Reason being, you are activating all of that muscle you already have that has basically been dormant due to limited use. You are also building muscle. Same stuff happens but add the fact that you could very well gravitate towards a faster technique as well if you don't already have a very efficient swing.

I look at the making your own vs buying kind of like a person that pays for a gym membership and lifts weights vs a guy that stays home and lifts whatever he/she has lying around, or does push ups or pull ups etc. Resourcefulness is a good thing. Some people have it, some people don't. Some people have extra money and 200 bucks is well worth it. To each their own.

Just my point of view.

Swing hard in case you hit it!

Problem is, SSG system costs too much for what it is. It is marked WAY up due to being golf related. Resourceful people can build their own set and spend much less than even 100 dollars and have a very comparable and useful set. The program they recommend isn't even earth shattering. Its a good idea, and the shiny package and workout routine really attracts some people and those people have some extra money so they don't need to make them. Good for them. Many of us are budget golfers with families or just not enough income to afford lessons, golf aids, or even new golf clubs. I am one of those people. I would love to have the real set, as they are prettier than what I have made but for me, what I have, and how I go about my own personal routine, gets results too. I got results beyond anything they have claimed by doing nothing but hitting crap loads of golf balls at the range. Its not rocket science. If you want to swing faster, then practice swinging faster.

Its like going to the gym the first time. You are wimpy wimpy but in just a few weeks you have huge gains weight lifting. Reason being, you are activating all of that muscle you already have that has basically been dormant due to limited use. You are also building muscle. Same stuff happens but add the fact that you could very well gravitate towards a faster technique as well if you don't already have a very efficient swing.

I look at the making your own vs buying kind of like a person that pays for a gym membership and lifts weights vs a guy that stays home and lifts whatever he/she has lying around, or does push ups or pull ups etc. Resourcefulness is a good thing. Some people have it, some people don't. Some people have extra money and 200 bucks is well worth it. To each their own.

Just my point of view.

It's not rocket science, but it is science. What they did is ground breaking in terms of taking the usual 20% heavier rules used in baseball and applying them to the golf swing (I'm scared to say 'lever sport' but I will).

TPI had dabbled in lighter clubs, but the SSG guys worked with actual golfers with 3D analysis and force plates to try to get to optimized weights that allow the golfer to swing something that's as light as possible without changing the muscles and motion used in the golf swing. To me that's fundamentally different than just trying to swing fast. If it wasn't, then we wouldn't all be buying or mocking up SSG sticks.

Their IP is in the weights and the protocols. They kindly made both of those freely available. At the same time that approach impacts their revenue stream because it's easy to mock up your own sticks and just follow their online protocols.

Personally, I think $200 is a bargain if you think about it as paying for the protocols, the sticks, and the results. Add to that the phenomenal customer support you get if you call them. At this point I can afford to pay for the SSG sticks, so I'm more than happy to do so.

At the same time I know that some people are on a tight budget (or simply like tinkering and seeing if they can make things - I do) and I completely get why people make their own sticks. It's cool.

So, everybody wins.

I believe very strongly that this is more than simply swinging a golf club as fast as possible. There's good science behind how it works, and now people are seeing tangible results.

Just my point of view.

It's not rocket science, but it is science. What they did is ground breaking in terms of taking the usual 20% heavier rules used in baseball and applying them to the golf swing (I'm scared to say 'lever sport' but I will).

TPI had dabbled in lighter clubs, but the SSG guys worked with actual golfers with 3D analysis and force plates to try to get to optimized weights that allow the golfer to swing something that's as light as possible without changing the muscles and motion used in the golf swing. To me that's fundamentally different than just trying to swing fast. If it wasn't, then we wouldn't all be buying or mocking up SSG sticks.

Their IP is in the weights and the protocols. They kindly made both of those freely available. At the same time that approach impacts their revenue stream because it's easy to mock up your own sticks and just follow their online protocols.

Personally, I think $200 is a bargain if you think about it as paying for the protocols, the sticks, and the results. Add to that the phenomenal customer support you get if you call them. At this point I can afford to pay for the SSG sticks, so I'm more than happy to do so.

At the same time I know that some people are on a tight budget (or simply like tinkering and seeing if they can make things - I do) and I completely get why people make their own sticks. It's cool.

So, everybody wins.

I believe very strongly that this is more than simply swinging a golf club as fast as possible. There's good science behind how it works, and now people are seeing tangible results.

Good post. Just to be hypothetical, I would imagine that if you were to take a version of me that did only the SSG protocals with their clubs, and a version of me that just did what I currently do which is go to the range a couple times a week (or my garage sim bay) and hit 100 golf balls as hard as I can, you would see a difference. How much? Probably hardly any. The only thing I can do now to gain more than I have ( I am at a ceiling), is to swing lefty which I haven't been doing and isn't something they came up with, and to hit the gym and add muscle and then teach that muscle to fire fast like my current muscles do. Sure they scienced it out, but like anything exercise related or what have you, its impossible to be exact. The heavy, medium light thing has existed for a long time in the LD world. Overspeed training with a bare shaft has been around for a long time and is proven to work. I myself swing a SUPER heavy driver compared to the standards of today, but I have many drivers and I bring a few different length and weighted ones to the range and hit them all. It gives me swings that include many weights.

My point is, their system is great, but it is one of many ways to get results. The biggest reasons I see people not get fast is because they don't put in the time, they are too embarrassed to practice swinging fast as heck at the range to learn to use it, control it and teach those muscles to fire fast, or because they think it will wreck their game. These sticks give people a private "exercise" rather than embarrassing wiff after wiff at the range in order to achieve the same thing many others have over the years. I am completely for it, as my personal goal with any golfers I meet is to let them know if I can gain 20 mph you can too just practice swinging fast. There is even a benefit to actually swinging a driver that the SSG clubs can't touch, you are actually hitting a ball and learning what you need to do to swing that fast and still hit the ball. Perhaps that method will actually get you even higher than SSG ever could.

Again, don't get me wrong, love SSG and what it does for people but there are many ways to get results and this is just one of them.

Finally getting in the Superspeed train and have a couple of questions for those that have seen gains from the system.

1. Technique. Do you try to maintain good technique or just go hard and fast? When I go as hard as I can I’m constantly spinning around on my lead foot. Did you find that when you went to the course did your technique remain solid?

2. Grip. Is everyone using their golf grip? I use an interlocking but found when I swing hard a baseball style grip works better.

3. I have read where people have done more than three days per week but has anyone tried two a days?

Finally. Swinging left handed now I know how my wife feels when I try and get her to swing a club. Haha!

Chris-P

Finally getting in the Superspeed train and have a couple of questions for those that have seen gains from the system.

1. Technique. Do you try to maintain good technique or just go hard and fast? When I go as hard as I can I’m constantly spinning around on my lead foot. Did you find that when you went to the course did your technique remain solid?

2. Grip. Is everyone using their golf grip? I use an interlocking but found when I swing hard a baseball style grip works better.

3. I have read where people have done more than three days per week but has anyone tried two a days?

Finally. Swinging left handed now I know how my wife feels when I try and get her to swing a club. Haha!

1. good technique

2. standard grip

3. varies

Finally) I feel like a complete klutz left-handed. I’m convinced I could never, EVER, break 120 from the left side. It’s nice, though, to remember how bad beginners have it.

Good post. Just to be hypothetical, I would imagine that if you were to take a version of me that did only the SSG protocals with their clubs, and a version of me that just did what I currently do which is go to the range a couple times a week (or my garage sim bay) and hit 100 golf balls as hard as I can, you would see a difference. How much?

I think there might be a non-hypothetical answer to this.

The first Australian tour player that SSG worked with (Clint Rice) had been working like crazy to gain speed, and was on a 1 year long intensive training regimen with elite fitness coaches to try to achieve that. The first time he met the SSG guys he was measured at 106-107. By the end of his first run he got up to 113. Later, he got to a peak of 119.

Of course, it definitely varies by the individual. You may have gotten little more out than your 'swinging faster' approach. That's certainly something that Justin James and others espouse. To your point, there are multiple ways to move the needle.

Re: #1

From the people at SuperSpeed.

“High-precision motor skills like hitting a golf ball down the fairway with a driver are what we call “multi-goal” motor patterns. This means that we have the goal of hitting the ball far, straight, and at advanced levels even with specific trajectory and curvature. With the complexity of this type of motor pattern, we have found that making significant change is difficult, in fact increasingly difficult as the skill level of the player increases.

In our case we are very interested in helping players increase the speed of their golf swing. We have found that by removing some of the goals of the motor pattern, in this case, taking the ball away and making free swings with our SuperSpeed Clubs, we are able to get players to make much more significant improvements to their sequencing, ground force mechanics, and wrist/club lag than by attempting to only train them with a driver in hand and a ball on the tee.

Moreover, we actually find that the difference in result becomes greater as the skill level of the player increasers. High level amateurs and tour players doing overspeed training with drivers and hitting golf balls will see very little change in swing speed before and after a training session. They will see very big changes before and after testing with free swings. The best theory on this scenario is that because the tour player’s level of expertise is so high, the motor pattern with the multiple goals goes into affect automatically when the player is over the ball with a driver. Therefore, significant change is very difficult to achieve. Without all of the normal goals of the motor pattern (free swings) the player is able to make much more significant alteration to the motion.

Overall, we have found that free swings make the biggest difference in overspeed training with all levels of golfers. It allows the player to feel much less restricted. This we find allows players to more quickly find and discover new and more efficient ways of creating speed.”

Is there something wrong with people building their own? If someone enjoys doing the work and building it, and they spend lets call it 1/3rd, whats the issue?

If they spent $50 and got 90% of the results they would get from an SSG set, wouldn't that make it an even better value?

Is there something wrong with people building their own? If someone enjoys doing the work and building it, and they spend lets call it 1/3rd, whats the issue?

If they spent $50 and got 90% of the results they would get from an SSG set, wouldn't that make it an even better value?

No nothing wrong with it at all, don't let anyone make you think otherwise. Golf is expensive already, save money when you can I say.

1. Technique. Do you try to maintain good technique or just go hard and fast? When I go as hard as I can I'm constantly spinning around on my lead foot. Did you find that when you went to the course did your technique remain solid?

1. I used to whack the clubs but now that I am going through 2 month long driver problem, I seek and try to maintain good technique such as lag, spine angle, ab rotation. Knowing my potential swing speed, I have gone back to the basic and start all over. I watch Top Speed, Aimee Cho and Gary Player videos. They are very helpful. 2 weeks ago, I was driving 250 yds with 18" 3 hybrid.
  2. the same golf grip
  3. 2 - 3 days a week should be sufficient. our body needs to rest. Please make sure you keep your body in shape and eat healthy.

Good luck!

I am thinking about diving into the SSG world. Do people have experience with the radar? is it worth it just starting off?

Driver: PXG Black Ops Tour-1 10.5deg - Tour AD TP 6S

Fairway Wood: PXG Black Ops 0311 15deg - Tour AD VR 7S
Hybrid: PXG Black Ops 0311 19deg - Tour AD DI Hyb 85S
Irons: PXG Gen6 0311P 4-GW - DG Mid 115
Wedges: Mizuno T24 54 & 58 S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond (Other testing in progress)

I am thinking about diving into the SSG world. Do people have experience with the radar? is it worth it just starting off?

SSR is a MUST. go get it. it is like dieting without a scale.

Love the analogy. That’s all I need for a sales pitch. Hoping to get this ordered by the weekend so I can get to work.

Driver: PXG Black Ops Tour-1 10.5deg - Tour AD TP 6S

Fairway Wood: PXG Black Ops 0311 15deg - Tour AD VR 7S
Hybrid: PXG Black Ops 0311 19deg - Tour AD DI Hyb 85S
Irons: PXG Gen6 0311P 4-GW - DG Mid 115
Wedges: Mizuno T24 54 & 58 S400

Putter: Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 / Never Compromise Dinero Prototype 

Ball: Srixon ZStar Diamond (Other testing in progress)

Love the analogy. That’s all I need for a sales pitch. Hoping to get this ordered by the weekend so I can get to work.

Just make sure you keep it a good 8 inches out of your swing path, or you'll be buying one next week... and the week after, and...

Don't ask me how I know...

Yep same mistake made here once and only once...….now the numbers don't show up fully on the screen ha ha!

Just make sure you keep it a good 8 inches out of your swing path, or you'll be buying one next week... and the week after, and...

Don't ask me how I know...

Yep same mistake made here once and only once...….now the numbers don't show up fully on the screen ha ha!

I'm on unit #4. Due to a... love tap... I now have to crouch down to eye level to read it in sunlight. In the evening there's only a slight ghosting, though. Somebody should sell replacement LCD screens for 10 bucks a pop. I'd be their biggest customer.

Another break through tonight - today was different in that I hadn't worked out before, normally I have on a Monday, but was so still a little tight from Tuesday workout.

Hit 129 with the second of the last 3 with green and was shocked but followed up with 125 for the third so.

Then swung my actual M2 with AD IZ 7 and hit 116.

I am starting to see that some of this truly is mental, if I am confident I can get another 1-2mph I can now find it.

I'm so far behind you big hitters, but I'm still seeing improvement.

I have been peaking at 106 on the red for a couple of weeks, but this morning hot 108, and then 109. Toward the end I hit 110 twice, which was a nice confidence booster.

With a real club I'm still hovering just above 100 MPH, but the swings feel so easy and my distance is moving up significantly on the course. Last week hit 288 yds landing and rolling out in the first cut. Getting really close to my original goal!