2 iron vs 3 wood

jackruss02

I am seriously considering replacing my 3 wood with a 2 iron, I'm too inconsistent with my 3 wood, I have Titleist T-mb 2 and 3 iron, I use the 3 iron off the tee quite a bit and get about 220 yards out of it, if I could get 235 out of the 2 iron I feel I could ditch the 3 wood, anyway both the 2 and 3 iron are shafted with dg s300, do you think it would be any advantage to shaft the 2 iron with a graphite hybrid shaft? Any input would be greatly appreciated

Callaway Rogue 10.5 GD ADDI 7S
Callaway Rogue 15 project X evenflow blue 75 6.0
Titleist 718 AP3’s 3-pw DG S300
Titleist vokey Sm6 50, 54, 60 stock wedge flex shafts
Scotty Newport 34" customized at scotty shop

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah you might get 5-10 yards out of adding graphite. But I think you should continue a search for a 3W you can manage, perhaps a deep face model or bigger head overall. Another option would be getting a 16-17 degree hybrid, turning it down a degree, it will give you near 3W distance. I would continue searching to find something for that fairway spot.

There are so many options out there, I'm sure you can find something + reshaft your 2-iron if you please. Dont give up!

Thanks, I would like to hit an M2 3 wood, I really love my M2 driver, guess I'll have to go to PGA superstore and hit one. I have an R15 and a 915f 3 woods, some days they work great, other days, not so much

Before ditching your 3w, add some weight to the head or try a heavier shaft. I see a lot of golfers struggling with 3ws that are too light. All of my 3ws are very consistent and everyone that picks them up says they feel like swinging a sledge hammer.

BT

Dr#1 Cobra Speedzone 10.5 – HZRDUS Yellow HC 65 TX @ 46”
Dr#2 Mizuno STZ 220 9.5 (10.5) - HZRDUS Smoke IM10 65 Low TX @ 46"

Mizuno ST190 15 - HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 43"
Mizuno STZ 220 18- HZRDUS Smoke Yellow 70 TS @ 42"
Mizuno MP15 4-PW - Aldila RIP Tour 115 R
Cobra MIM Wedges 52, 56 & 60 – stock KBS Hi-Rev @ 35.5”

Odyssey V-Line Stroke Lab 33.5"
Grips - Grip Master Classic Wrap Midsize

What is your Goal OP, I have finally accepted my fact...and put my Ego away, The 2 iron was a chest thumping mad man that roared like Tigers Woods and it felt good to have it in the bag and felt like a beast when I hit it. With that I can still hit it pretty darn good.. But now..... I pulled both the 2 and the 3 iron out.... Why?

Well purely for my personal performance.

1) 2 iron really did absolutely nothing for me at the top of the bag, I needed something to fill the gap between driver and Iron. I have found my 3 wood and it stays.

2) The 3 wood was not always the most comfortable club off the tee I agree, so I had a 3 iron for this. While it worked and I used my 3 iron for everything, from saving shots, hooking, slicing, knockdowns. I found it to not have the right distance off the tee, it was not long enough.

*Used as I am cheap*

3) I needed something to fill the gap from 3 wood to 3iron. I searched for a 5wood, and ran into a 19* hybrid, loved it, it fit the distance gap, put me in the right layup distance if I chose to lay up off the tee, had some amazing height and forgiveness. But was a looking to much left for me.

4) Finally found a 5 wood, took some time to get used to, but it is my go too club now, it fits the distance again right between the 3 wood and Iron, Its not as long (actual length wise) as a 3 wood, so a little more control, More loft is always good, being 18.5* versus 15* and still has the punch to get distances that I really need.

5) Pairing it with the right shaft for the right trajectory, is the next key but all in all, giving up on your 3 wood, or trying to put an semi obsolete 2 iron in the bag, with much more "effective" clubs likes a hybrid or a 5 wood, would be leaving strokes on the table.

Again dont get me wrong, I love my 2 iron, more so its a blade and the head is smaller than the ball, I can hit it no problem, But once in a while when the swing is no good...... It wont work and it HAS to stay in the bag the remainder of the round, On the other hand when the swing is BAD, I dont pull driver, I dont pull Iron, I cheat with a 5 wood and it gets the ball down the course, with less frustration.

Just my useless $0.02

TM - Stealth 1.0 - Rouge 70X
TM 15* M2v1 - RIP Phenom 60S
TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Sub70- 649mbs-PW-6 ,639 CBs-5-4   PX 6.0 Rifles - Incoming Sub70 659CB!!!!!!!
Vokey SM7 - 50*/8*, 56*/10* & 60*/8* S200
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

That is definitely a lot to thank about lol, I was leaning towards the 2 iron because if my fairway wood isn't working my 3 iron almost always does, I have an M1 hybrid, M2 5 wood, and the R15, and 915f 3 woods I mentioned up above, all of them work at times, but they can turn on me at anytime, the 3 iron never treats me bad, you're right, I am definitely leaving strokes out there by not using my fairway wood, I guess I need to pick one and practice with it until I'm confident with it, funny thing is I have total confidence in my driver, but you can't use that off of every tee

You must be a bit of a different case because generally there's a pretty hefty disparity in distance between a 3 wood and a 2 iron. I dropped the 3 iron and bagged the 2 to give me options from the tee and coming into par 5's. I honestly have no need for a 3 iron when those T-MB's fly so high. I just choke up a couple inches on the deuce - boom - Instant 3 iron. But there's a 30-40 yard gap between my deuce and my 3 wood. I don't think I could ever drop the 3 wood.

Titleist TSi3 8º - LAGP DJ 65-6
Titleist TSi3 15º - LAGP TourAxs Blue 
Mizuno Pro 225 2i - C-TaperL
Mizuno Pro 245  5-GW C-Taper 
Mizuno T22  52º, 56º, 60º C-Taper

Scotty Special Select Newport 2 
Titleist Left Dash -ProV1x

I had a similar problem a while ago, had been bagging Nike Covert Tour 3wood, great when I first got it but over the last year it went bad and I stopped trying to play it, well as I have the Ping G driver which I love I thought match the 3wood, but it didn't work in the shop so out of nowhere they give me a club to try, WOW, unreal, nailed it every time, brought it, love it, one of my favorite clubs in the bag, I look for reasons to hit 3wood now, the club? Callaway Great Big Bertha, my point, your 3wood might be in the shop waiting for you to find it. I never imagined I would be able to consistently hit a 3wood the way I do this one.

Do play a course or multiple courses? If 1 course (a majority of the time) tune your bag to the needs of the course, not the expectations of what should be in a bag. Hypothetically if you have a home course that you already manage well and get comfortable second shot distances with yor 2 and 3 iron, I am of the opinion that 3 wood will be either useless (you won't take it out during a round) or screw you all up if you do take it out. The other side to that is have and practice with both setups so if you play many courses you can just interchange setups to meet the need.

As it pertains to graphite totally personal. I tried both and get a better, more consistent flight with steel.

I play the same 2 courses every week for league and then various different courses on the weekends, to be honest, my 3 wood probably only gets used about once a round, but if I was comfortable with it I'd probably use it off the tee more. My distance gap between my 3 wood and 3 iron is not that big as I only hit 3 wood about 240yds, once in a while I might get a little more out of it but not too often

I love going on the simulators at PGA superstore, boosts my ego when it says I'm hitting 3 wood 260 lol

I play the same 2 courses every week for league and then various different courses on the weekends, to be honest, my 3 wood probably only gets used about once a round, but if I was comfortable with it I'd probably use it off the tee more. My distance gap between my 3 wood and 3 iron is not that big as I only hit 3 wood about 240yds, once in a while I might get a little more out of it but not too often

What courses and what league? I'm on Long Island and have been considering joining a League. Just need a "true" Handicap.

Driver: Cobra LTD Pro 7.5o - Kuro Kage DC XT 70 TX - Tipped 1"

UDI: 2019 TaylorMade P790 2i

Irons: 3-PW: Srixon z745 with Modus 130x

Wedges: 52o/56o/60o - Cleveland RTX4s

Putter: Ping Kushin 4

I live in Orange County NY, about 60 miles northwest of the city, I play at Swan Lake in Sullivan County and Winding Hills which is about 10 minutes from where I live, I bet there are tons of leagues on Long Island, and I'm sure they would establish a handicap for you if you joined

Your distance gap is not that big? Im curious what that would be? As is it truly not that big because you have a ball striking issue or are you misunderstanding the gap?

What I mean is, I hit my 3 wood about 240 yards as well, I hit my 3 iron about 205-210 that is 30-35 yards difference which is HUGE. That means if I lay up the difference between my 3 iron and my 3 wood could be a 9 iron versus a 6iron. I would truly choose a 9 over a 6.

With that, again I felt the 3 iron did not give me enough distance advantage off the tee. My 4 iron goes about 190-195 were its not even worth the lay up distance, yet the secondary usage of my 3 for low punch shots, hooks and slices could be performed similar with my 4 iron as my 3 iron. So I pulled the 3 iron.

With that I needed to find something that filled the gap between 240 yards and 195 yards, That was finding a comfortable 225 club. This again my preference as I took my average approach distance and this means I would have a 7 or 8iron laying up with a 225 club, versus a 6 or 5iron.

With that as I discussed, I tried a 19* hybrid that is 40.25" that was great, went the right distance, and surprising very high, just went left too much, it was shorter and controllable, and a great happy medium.

I also tried a 18* 5wood that is 42" that is great as well that went the right distance much lower (preferred) and did not go left LOL. While it is 2" longer, I can still choke up on it and visually since its larger than a hybrid, it was confident inspiring off a tee box, rather than an iron or a hybrid.

Anyways.... Im curious what you think your "gap" really is, as 2 clubs or more difference in approach too me is huge!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Your distance gap is not that big? Im curious what that would be? As is it truly not that big because you have a ball striking issue or are you misunderstanding the gap?

What I mean is, I hit my 3 wood about 240 yards as well, I hit my 3 iron about 205-210 that is 30-35 yards difference which is HUGE. That means if I lay up the difference between my 3 iron and my 3 wood could be a 9 iron versus a 6iron. I would truly choose a 9 over a 6.

With that, again I felt the 3 iron did not give me enough distance advantage off the tee. My 4 iron goes about 190-195 were its not even worth the lay up distance, yet the secondary usage of my 3 for low punch shots, hooks and slices could be performed similar with my 4 iron as my 3 iron. So I pulled the 3 iron.

With that I needed to find something that filled the gap between 240 yards and 195 yards, That was finding a comfortable 225 club. This again my preference as I took my average approach distance and this means I would have a 7 or 8iron laying up with a 225 club, versus a 6 or 5iron.

With that as I discussed, I tried a 19* hybrid that is 40.25" that was great, went the right distance, and surprising very high, just went left too much, it was shorter and controllable, and a great happy medium.

I also tried a 18* 5wood that is 42" that is great as well that went the right distance much lower (preferred) and did not go left LOL. While it is 2" longer, I can still choke up on it and visually since its larger than a hybrid, it was confident inspiring off a tee box, rather than an iron or a hybrid.

Anyways.... Im curious what you think your "gap" really is, as 2 clubs or more difference in approach too me is huge!

My 3 iron is about 220 and my 3 wood is about 240, so about 20 yds, that's why I feel with the right shaft my 2 iron could come close to my 3 wood, I have much more confidence with an iron in my hands, I sure a lot of it is mental, but I get unsure of myself with a hybrid or fairway wood, I tend to miss towards the toe with those clubs and when I do they hook left, I should get fit for a 3 wood, that's the only spot in my bag where I'm not confident

My 3 iron is about 220 and my 3 wood is about 240, so about 20 yds, that's why I feel with the right shaft my 2 iron could come close to my 3 wood, I have much more confidence with an iron in my hands, I sure a lot of it is mental, but I get unsure of myself with a hybrid or fairway wood, I tend to miss towards the toe with those clubs and when I do they hook left, I should get fit for a 3 wood, that's the only spot in my bag where I'm not confident

20 Yards does not seem like the normal gap, (based on generic swing speeds and lofts)

CarryDistanceSwingSpeedChart-600x218.jpg

240 yard 3 wood, should equate to about 208 3 iron

220 Yard 3 iron, should equate to about 255 3 wood,

with that you should see a 30-40 yard difference between your 3 wood and your 3 iron, Something needs to be looked at, you have a very odd gap in your bag. Be it lofts issues, swing issued, unfit clubs etc.

GL on your search but I hope you so the hole thats present that needs to be addressed?

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

20 Yards does not seem like the normal gap, (based on generic swing speeds and lofts)

with that you should see a 30-40 yard difference between your 3 wood and your 3 iron, Something needs to be looked at, you have a very odd gap in your bag. Be it lofts issues, swing issued, unfit clubs etc.

GL on your search but I hope you so the hole thats present that needs to be addressed?

Thanks for the chart, I'm guessing the issue is with my 3 wood, I've never been fit for one, been fit for a driver and for my irons, but never a fairway wood or hybrid, guess I need to focus on that, like I said, I'm confident with everything in my bag and if I can figure out that spot in my bag I know it will improve my game. I've been through so many hybrids and fairways it kills me to wonder how much I've spent on stuff that didn't work for me. I guess instead of trying to mask my fear of those clubs with another iron I should see if a fitting helps.

Thanks for the chart, I'm guessing the issue is with my 3 wood, I've never been fit for one, been fit for a driver and for my irons, but never a fairway wood or hybrid, guess I need to focus on that, like I said, I'm confident with everything in my bag and if I can figure out that spot in my bag I know it will improve my game. I've been through so many hybrids and fairways it kills me to wonder how much I've spent on stuff that didn't work for me. I guess instead of trying to mask my fear of those clubs with another iron I should see if a fitting helps.

you need to talk story with "Duffnerswaggle", the struggle is real LOL. Ill say this, personally the 3wood to me would be the hardest club to fit.

1) lowest lofted club you would normally hit off the deck.

2) 43" shafts off the deck with any type of swing issues is asking for errors

3) shaft matching and pairing is not joke as sometimes you want to match your driver but sometimes it just does not work out that way.

4) Lie angles for many 3 woods are so up right now to fight slices, but those steep OTT moves and dig that heel in there and bang you got blocks and all kinds of crap going down.

3 wood is tough no less, just gotta really find something that fits your eye and your swing.

GL!

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

That's something to think about, you say 3 woods are upright, my irons are all 2* flat, I bet I'm fighting the lie angle of the 3 wood

Taylor made Burner 07 (10 years ago) 15* 3 wood, 43" 58.5* lie angle

TM M2 Fairway (Current) , 15* loft 43.25", 60* lie angle.

Do the math, Its already half inch longer, almost as long as some peoples drivers LOL, 1.5" more upright, so think if you play your irons 2* flat, that means you have a 3 wood that is 3.5* more upright than you would normally play. and then add in the extra half inch that you are not used to and it could be almost 4+* more upright.

I know I play my irons 2* flat as well and I struggle like hell with my woods because of the massive upright design of recent clubs....

*edit*

Titleist 910F - 15* 3 wood, 43" 57* lie angle

Tileist 917F - 15* 3wood, 43", 56.5* lie angle

Something to consider

TM 18* M2v1 - Rogue 60S
Scotty Newport 2 - 33"

Taylor made Burner 07 (10 years ago) 15* 3 wood, 43" 58.5* lie angle

TM M2 Fairway (Current) , 15* loft 43.25", 60* lie angle.

Do the math, Its already half inch longer, almost as long as some peoples drivers LOL, 1.5" more upright, so think if you play your irons 2* flat, that means you have a 3 wood that is 3.5* more upright than you would normally play. and then add in the extra half inch that you are not used to and it could be almost 4+* more upright.

I know I play my irons 2* flat as well and I struggle like hell with my woods because of the massive upright design of recent clubs....

*edit*

Titleist 910F - 15* 3 wood, 43" 57* lie angle

Tileist 917F - 15* 3wood, 43", 56.5* lie angle

Something to consider

Just looked the lie angle of the M2 15* is 60* 3.5* more upright than the 917, I almost ordered a custom M2 glad I didn't, thanks again for the info, that's why I asked, a lot of good people with a lot of knowledge on this site.

I bag both but the 3 wood was really just holding up my headcover for the most part of the year, I hit it once all year. If there was any hesitation on hitting the 3 wood I would pull the 2 iron and point and shoot and loose 15-20 yards but in a safe area.

PXG 0311 7.5* (set to 6.75*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana DF 70TX Tipped 0.75" @ 45.25"

TM Original One Mini Driver 13* (set at 11.5*) w/ Mitsubishi Diamana BF 80TX Tipped 1.5" @ 43"
Srixon U45 18* w/ N.S. Pro Modus3 GOST Tour X @ 39.5"
Callaway UW 21* w/ Aldila VS Proto 95X Tipped 1.75" @ 41" / Srixon U45 23* w/ Aldila RIP Tour SLT 115 Tour X @ 38.5"

Cobra KING Tour with MIM w/ PX LS 7.0 5-PW / Srixon Z745 5-PW w/ DG TI X7's (PW Tipped 1/4")
Mizuno T22 Denim Copper 50*, 55* & 60* w/ PX LS 7.0 Tipped 3/8" D2, D3 & D5

Putter: Evnroll ER2v

I replaced my 3 wood with a 2 iron and couldn't be happier! :stop: In all honesty though, I also replaced my driver with a 3 wood..... :sorry:

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 - Adila Rogue White 130 MSI 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 3 wood 16* - LinQ Purple 70 Stiff

Callaway Paradym 18/19* Hybrid  HZRDUS Smoke Gray 

Mizuno Pro 243 with modus 120S

Mizuno T24 50 and 56 S400
Bettinardi Queen B

I replaced my 3 wood with an 18* hybrid. You may want to try something like the 915hd or callaway apex hybrid. Swing it like an iron and it flies like a wood.

Ping G400 Max 9* Tour75R
Taylormade M1 3HL
Callaway Apex 3 hybrid
Callaway Apex CF16 4-P
Callaway MackDaddy 4 50& 56 W-grind
Scotty Cameron Newport original

If you feel comfortable hitting a 3 iron but don't like 3 woods, might I suggest a 2 iron cut to the same length as your 3 iron.. Either that, or shorten the shaft of your 3 wood. If you hit a 3 iron well, then obviously your angle of attack is steep enough, but the added length of your 3 wood shaft causes your swing to flatten out? Just a thought.

If you feel comfortable hitting a 3 iron but don't like 3 woods, might I suggest a 2 iron cut to the same length as your 3 iron.. Either that, or shorten the shaft of your 3 wood. If you hit a 3 iron well, then obviously your angle of attack is steep enough, but the added length of your 3 wood shaft causes your swing to flatten out? Just a thought.

That's what I wrote in the original post, wanted to reshaft my 2 iron with graphite to see if I could get closer to 3 wood distance, I ordered a shaft for the 2 iron and also ordered a 917 3 wood because as someone pointed out up above, the 917 has a much flatter lie angle and is able to be flattened even more with the surefit hosel, so now I have choices, or I'll just be more confused lol, anyway can't wait for the weather to get better to try all this out!