2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Not posting scores???

Our policy is if you're on the course a score must be posted. We don't consider the course a practice area. The practice area is for practice.

This policy seems to have minimized our sandbagging issues.

We do occasionally have e new member test the policy. A score of par is entered for them if they "forget", as a service.

We have a similar rule. I'd be interested to see what posters here think about members who play a breakfast ball. Could they still post while simply assuming that they played 17 holes and use score for an unplayed hole for the first?

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Our policy is if you're on the course a score must be posted. We don't consider the course a practice area. The practice area is for practice.

We do occasionally have e new member test the policy. A score of par is entered for them if they "forget", as a service.

We have a similar rule. I'd be interested to see what posters here think about members who play a breakfast ball. Could they still post while simply assuming that they played 17 holes and use score for an unplayed hole for the first?

As I understand the rather arcane handicap system rules, then that's exactly what a player should do. If he plays 17 holes by the Rules and hits two balls or whatever off the first tee then post the score for the 17 holes played (with ESC) and then par plus handicap strokes for that one hole played not under the Rules.

Assuming it's an otherwise postable round, of course. Not solo, not out of season, etc., etc.

P.S. And if I'm wrong about some detail of the handicapping rules it would not surprise me in the slightest.

NOT CURRENTLY ACTIVE ON GOLFWRX

Where Are You Waiting GIF by This GIF Is Haunted

As I understand the rather arcane handicap system rules, then that's exactly what a player should do. If he plays 17 holes by the Rules and hits two balls or whatever off the first tee then post the score for the 17 holes played (with ESC) and then par plus handicap strokes for that one hole played not under the Rules.

Assuming it's an otherwise postable round, of course. Not solo, not out of season, etc., etc.

P.S. And if I'm wrong about some detail of the handicapping rules it would not surprise me in the slightest.

Guy's, none of this even matters if the player is not out there with the intention of playing his absolute best. Plenty of guys go out and slap it around and then post bullsh!t scores, saving their best stuff for net events. Pretty much impossible to fight...

USGA Index: ~0

[b]WITB[/b]:
Ping G410 LST 9 degree - Tour AD IZ 6x
Ping G410 LST - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Kasco K2K 33 - Fujikura Pro TourSpec 73 
Callaway RazrX Tour 4h - Tour 95 shaft
Ping i200 5-UW (2 flat) - Nippon Modus 105X
Taylormade HiToe 54 (bent to 55 & 2 flat)
Taylormade HiToe 64 (Bent to 62 & 2 flat)
Palmer AP30R putter (circa 1960s)
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Guy's, none of this even matters if the player is not out there with the intention of playing his absolute best. Plenty of guys go out and slap it around and then post bullsh!t scores, saving their best stuff for net events. Pretty much impossible to fight...

I look at it the opposite way. In the casual rounds, I am trying to play my absolute best, but in competition, I am playing conservatively and trying to avoid big numbers.

I look at it the opposite way. In the casual rounds, I am trying to play my absolute best, but in competition, I am playing conservatively and trying to avoid big numbers.

You're obviously not the type we're speaking of here. The guys I'm talking about know exactly what they're doing. They don't play for anything that matters until it's a big "net" event for cash, title, or both.

BTW, scoring one's best often involves mitigating unnecessary risk to avoid big numbers.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Your "policy" is not in accordance with the USGA.

If the guy is on the course alone the score is NOT to be posted.

If he's not playing by the ROG, e.g.. hitting multipile shots on multiples holes, it is NOT to be counted

If he's accompanied and he's playing by the ROG it IS to be posted.

If he "forgets" you are required to post a score equaling his lowest differential, NOT a score of your choosing ("par").

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 10.5 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Ping G20 5-PW DGS300 Yellow Dot

Ping Glide Pro 48*

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 35*, RED, Black Accra

Callaway Tour TruTrack Yellow

If he "forgets" you are required to post a score equaling his lowest differential, NOT a score of your choosing ("par").

I respect much of what you said in your post #38, but wanted some detail on the above point. I see that Handicap Manual Rule 8-4b says:

b. Penalty Scores for Failure to Post

If a player fails to post an acceptable score as soon as practical after completion of the round, the Handicap Committee has three options:

1) Post the actual score made by the player;

2) Post a penalty scoreequal to the lowest/highest Handicap Differential in the player's scoring record;

3) Post the actual score and a penalty score

The Handicap Committee is not required to notify the player prior to posting a penalty score.

--------

Regarding number 2 above, I now realize I have no idea what they mean by "the lowest/highest Handicap Differential." I could certainly understand posting the lowest differential as a penalty, but does anyone know what is intended by the phrase "lowest/highest"? (How would posting a high differential be a penalty?)

That seems really extreme. A perfect example would be a foursome competition (as defined in the RoG). Some groups like to occasionally play games like "only five clubs". People have to abandon rounds for a variety of reasons. Or the ubiquitous scramble is a great way to allow an (almost) non-golfer to participate in a meaningful way with experienced (and maybe even highly skilled) golfers. Surely there is some flexibility here.

dave

Regarding number 2 above, I now realize I have no idea what they mean by "the lowest/highest Handicap Differential." I could certainly understand posting the lowest differential as a penalty, but does anyone know what is intended by the phrase "lowest/highest"? (How would posting a high differential be a penalty?)

There are cases where posting a lower score will actually increase your index (and vice versa). This can happen when a person has an "R" handicap (index reduced by exceptional tournament scores). Maybe that is the scenario in mind.

Or maybe it is a case where the Handicap Committee believes that the golfer is a vanity handicapper (trying to achieve a lower index than he/she deserves). These golfers can be most irritating if they end up on your team in a handicapped competition.

But I admit that I am speculating here.

dave

I respect much of what you said in your post #38, but wanted some detail on the above point. I see that Handicap Manual Rule 8-4b says:

b. Penalty Scores for Failure to Post

If a player fails to post an acceptable score as soon as practical after completion of the round, the Handicap Committee has three options:

1) Post the actual score made by the player;

2) Post a penalty scoreequal to the lowest/highest Handicap Differential in the player's scoring record;

3) Post the actual score and a penalty score

The Handicap Committee is not required to notify the player prior to posting a penalty score.

--------

Perhaps they should have said "best" ? Or just "highest" ? But I think it may be this.

Our handicap terminology is confusing in itself. Even if the Rules aren't. :rolleyes:

The VAST majority of handicaps are "minus" handicaps but if you ask somebody their handicap they'll say "I'm a 4" (when they're really a 4.1 index). Since a great player would say he's a "+4". So the 1st guy, index aside, should have said "I'm a minus 4".

As well, most people would say they subtract their course handicap from their gross score to give a net score. Arithmetically speaking that is incorrect. Since a "4.1" is actually a minus 4.1, doing the arithmetic to get the course handicap would result in a negative, whole number, course handicap.

So in reality, everybody ADDS their course handicap to their gross to get their net. Plus handicappers as well as minus handicappers.

I guess the USGA could have just said "highest" differential,,,,,,, as +4 is higher than +1 which is higher than -4 which is higher than -8.

But (just) "highest" would arguably be even more confusing. Perhaps the word "best" should have been used ? :dntknw:

Ping Glide Pro 48*

There are cases where posting a lower score will actually increase your index (and vice versa). This can happen when a person has an "R" handicap (index reduced by exceptional tournament scores). Maybe that is the scenario in mind.

Or maybe it is a case where the Handicap Committee believes that the golfer is a vanity handicapper (trying to achieve a lower index than he/she deserves). These golfers can be most irritating if they end up on your team in a handicapped competition.

But I admit that I am speculating here.

dave

Hi dave,

I never asked, but I believe it is for the vanity cap situation. There are many guys who won't post a high score (due to vanity). As you say, vanity caps make for bad partners and they are basically do damage the central purposes of a golf club - which should be to increase participation and enjoyment of the members.

Just a somewhat educated guess.

Hope you are well,

Mark

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

Vanity cappers, I agree, but the wording is more likely there for plus handicaps as pointed out by nsxguy.

If you are above a zero cap, the committee would post your lowest differential. If you are a plus cap, they'd post your "highest" differential.

For example, me and a good am play a tough course, 75.0/140. He shoots 63 and posts.

His differential is -9.7.

When the committee needs to assess a penalty score to him, it'd use the "higher" -9.7 instead of a "lower" -2.5 that might be his next best index.

I do agree they should just change it to BEST differential. There's no confusion using best.

Vanity cappers, I agree, but the wording is more likely there for plus handicaps as pointed out by nsxguy.

If you are above a zero cap, the committee would post your lowest differential. If you are a plus cap, they'd post your "highest" differential.

For example, me and a good am play a tough course, 75.0/140. He shoots 63 and posts.

His differential is -9.7.

When the committee needs to assess a penalty score to him, it'd use the "higher" -9.7 instead of a "lower" -2.5 that might be his next best index.

I do agree they should just change it to BEST differential. There's no confusion using best.

Maybe it is because I am a math kind of guy, but to me -9.7 is smaller, lower, less than, .... -2.5.

dave

I don't post match play cards.

Not sure where you're from, but in the US most casual rounds of golf amongst friends, especially at private clubs, are some form of match play. Scores must still be posted to have a valid hc.

[b]WITB[/b]:
Taylormade TP5X Ball

Hi dave,

I never asked, but I believe it is for the vanity cap situation. There are many guys who won't post a high score (due to vanity). As you say, vanity caps make for bad partners and they are basically do damage the central purposes of a golf club - which should be to increase participation and enjoyment of the members.

Hope you are well,

Mark

Mark/others with Handicap Committee related experience..

Have any of you ever dealt with a 'vanity sandbagger issue' at your club? My club is large with lots of team play, so we would seem to be the perfect target for such complaints. But in my 8'ish years on the Handicap Committee it never came up. Surprising (in retrospect). I would guess that 80% of the complaints that we dealt with were folks who played a couple of summer tournaments, saw their indexes rise over the winter, and starting about Feb. the "R index" complaints came out of the woodwork.

dave

ps. Mark - I am doing well by "old golfer standards" :-)

--------

[/font][/color]

Could it be for the purpose of adjusting the handicap of a player trying to enteri a tournament with a maximum handicap (USOpen qualifier, etc).

This policy would drive me nuts. One of my favorite things about my club is being able to play a few holes when I have a spare hour. We have a lot of 3-4 hole combinations that end up back at the club house. I'm usually trying to experiment with different strategies and shots when I'm doing this, so if these score were tracked and entered (which would be huge pain in the butt), I'm pretty sure my handicap would be significantly higher.

The larger issue is clubs having too many events that don't require a tournament score to be posted. Requiring T scores makes it a lot harder for a sandbagger to game the system.

Titleist TSR3 (10) - Project X HZRDUS 4G 6.0
Titleist TSR2 4W 16.5 at D1 (16.5) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  60 6.0

Titleist TSR2 7W 21 at D1 (20) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0
Titleist TSR2 21 at A3 (23) - Project X HZRDUS Red CB  70 6.0

Titleist T150 5i-GW - Nippon 950 GH R - I up
Ping Glide 2.0  52 SS - AWT 2.0 S - Back Dot
Ping Glide 3.0  58 ES - ZZ-115 - Black Dot

In Timeout - Callaway MD5 64 S Grind - TT-115 
Ping Fetch 2023 - 34"

Hi dave,

Hope you are well,

Mark

Mark/others with Handicap Committee related experience..

Have any of you ever dealt with a 'vanity sandbagger issue' at your club? My club is large with lots of team play, so we would seem to be the perfect target for such complaints. But in my 8'ish years on the Handicap Committee it never came up. Surprising (in retrospect). I would guess that 80% of the complaints that we dealt with were folks who played a couple of summer tournaments, saw their indexes rise over the winter, and starting about Feb. the "R index" complaints came out of the woodwork.

dave

ps. Mark - I am doing well by "old golfer standards" :-)

Hi dave,

When I was involved on the Board and the Handicap Committee back in the 1994 - 2010 years (off and on). I attended at least 3 Handicap seminars run by the USGA and our Association. Back then they did put some emphasis on the vanity cap issue as they said it was much more prevalent than sandbagging (which is probably true). To my knowledge, we have never posted penalty scores for high scores not posted. I did address the issue in our newsletters & club info emails - showing how it does hurt both participation and enjoyment in club tournament partner/team play over time.

Outside of that, we have adjusted handicap Indexes up for players with temporary or permanent disabilities. And I know you guys have as well.

MM

Titleist TSR4 9.5, Oban Devotion 6, 05 flex 65g
TM M4 Tour 3W, Oban Devotion 7, 05 flex 75g
TM R15 TP #3 (19*), Fujikura Speeder 869 X
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 4-PW, KBS C-Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged GW, KBS C-Taper X
Vokey Wedges - SM8 56.12 & 60.08 S400
Newport 2.5

literally one of the most ignorant things ive ever heard..... im sorry to be blunt but practice on course is the only way you will get better at scoring.... beating balls and rolling straight putts on the practice green will only engrain muscle memory.... they will not make a good player alone.... I wouldnt last 2 weeks at your course... I regularly hit the course for a practice 9 and will hit multiple balls if i dont excecute a shot... ill hit more till i do... ( on a dead day of course) ... surely there is someone to call and report anyone posting false scores into someone elses history..no? i would find out ....

Cobra LTD X 9* Hzrdus RDX blue 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

Ping i530 4-Uw AWT 2.0 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

This policy would drive me nuts. One of my favorite things about my club is being able to play a few holes when I have a spare hour. We have a lot of 3-4 hole combinations that end up back at the club house. I'm usually trying to experiment with different strategies and shots when I'm doing this, so if these score were tracked and entered (which would be huge pain in the butt), I'm pretty sure my handicap would be significantly higher.

The larger issue is clubs having too many events that don't require a tournament score to be posted. Requiring T scores makes it a lot harder for a sandbagger to game the system.

You're cool. And these clubs you mention are flat out wrong.

First of all, if you play multiple balls you're not playing by the ROG so the round wouldn't count anyway.

Secondly, if you played by yourself the round wouldn't count.

And thirdly you have to play at least 7 holes for the round to be posted (in this case as a 9 hole score)

Q. What scores can be used for handicapping?

A. A golfer is required to post scores whenever he plays at least 7 holes. If 7 to 12 holes are played, then that score shall be posted as a 9-hole round. If 13 or more holes are played, it shall be posted as an 18-hole round.

Ping Glide Pro 48*

You're cool. And these clubs you mention are flat out wrong.

First of all, if you play multiple balls you're not playing by the ROG so the round wouldn't count anyway.

Secondly, if you played by yourself the round wouldn't count.

And thirdly you have to play at least 7 holes for the round to be posted (in this case as a 9 hole score)

Q. What scores can be used for handicapping?

A. A golfer is required to post scores whenever he plays at least 7 holes. If 7 to 12 holes are played, then that score shall be posted as a 9-hole round. If 13 or more holes are played, it shall be posted as an 18-hole round.

What friend Truman said works the other way 'round. He's not trying to force players to post not-allowed rounds into the handicap system. He's trying to force players to never step foot on his course unless they are playing a full round under the Rules of Golf in a manner acceptable to the handicap system. He can't stand the idea of someone out on the course doing something beside pretending their playing in the US flippin' Open.

Somehow I'll bet his course isn't real fun to deal with on many other issues besides of the posting of rounds for handicap purposes!

literally one of the most ignorant things ive ever heard..... im sorry to be blunt but practice on course is the only way you will get better at scoring.... beating balls and rolling straight putts on the practice green will only engrain muscle memory.... they will not make a good player alone.... I wouldnt last 2 weeks at your course... I regularly hit the course for a practice 9 and will hit multiple balls if i dont excecute a shot... ill hit more till i do... ( on a dead day of course) ... surely there is someone to call and report anyone posting false scores into someone elses history..no? i would find out ....

I think you MAY be taking him too literally as there are many instances where rounds, per the USGA, wouldn't be allowed to be posted for handicaps anyway, regardless of what his club says.

Besides the ones mentioned above to bazinky, there are any number of other reasons NOT to post a score (listed in that link),,,,,, and of course that includes your scenario of hitting multiple balls. I would LOVE to see his club justify "forcing" a member to post a score under those circumstances.

Surely his local association would never allow that.

Ping Glide Pro 48*

A convenient accommodation of the practice involves "abandoning" the round after striking the first tee ball, then considering the BB the first shot of an entirely new round.

Obviously, you lose the option to play the original tee shot (if it ended up in better shape than the second) under these circumstances, and it precludes using the BB anywhere except on the first tee.

A convenient accommodation of the practice involves "abandoning" the round after striking the first tee ball, then considering the BB the first shot of an entirely new round.

Obviously, you lose the option to play the original tee shot (if it ended up in better shape than the second) under these circumstances, and it precludes using the BB anywhere except on the first tee.

Back when the USGA idiotically insisted that Every Score Is Sacred and wanted me to post solo rounds, I was always tempted to say to myself on the first tee "I agree with myself to waive Rule 14-4" and just take the DQ.

Back when the USGA idiotically insisted that Every Score Is Sacred and wanted me to post solo rounds, I was always tempted to say to myself on the first tee "I agree with myself to waive Rule 14-4" and just take the DQ.

So now I'm wondering, "Does he know many types of DQ rounds must nevertheless be posted?"