2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Breaking 70

gibbyfan

I've made some crazy birdies from crazy positions. On a short length par 4, 345 yards, I pulled my drive into the left fairway bunker. Took a 9 iron to the flag, and drained my birdie.

I've yet to see anyone without potential to shoot under par consistently. Everyone has made at least one birdie in their life, maybe if you've been playing for around 5 years you should have at least 20, if you play every week.

I've made some ridiculous birdies. When I shot 37 for 9 holes on my way to shooting 79 for the day after a poor first 9, I made a birdie on the 11th hole, and stayed 1 under through five holes. I made two stupid bogeys on 15 and 17, and had a birdie putt on the 18th for a 36. Barely missed, caught the lip and was inches from the hole. I usually shoot low 40s for 9 holes, so I know I have the potential to shoot around par or better, because I've been there.

You have the potential to shoot 3 or 4 under, because you shot 3 under through a certain amount of holes before. You have to keep your attitude one of the fact that you've done it once, you can obviously do it again.

Here's the problem. When I shot 42 on the front 9 that day, I was really focused on score. I wanted to shoot a really good round, so I tried really hard and found my score to be average.

On the back 9, I played with ease. I gave up on trying to shoot a good score, because I thought that a 42 would ruin my day anyway. So I basically gave up, and just played the game. Missed a birdie on the 18th for a 36, and ended up with a 37 from the back tees. You can't focus on results as you play, you just have to play. Play subconsciously, this is what I've realized.

If you play in the subconscious, you have a way better chance of shooting a decent score. When I shot 42 on the front, I was trying really hard. I was in the conscious mind, steering the ball. When I got up to the 10th tee, it was all subconscious. I played the game, I wasn't worried about the score, though I knew what I was shooting.

So it's not like I myself can't shoot good rounds, I was 1 under through the first 5 holes on that back 9. And it's not like you can't either, shooting 3 under through your first 9, it's all in how we take it. Play subconscious.

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Gibby, how goes it?

I’m sure that it’s been said by now however I haven’t gone through the thread though obviously if you the talent and game to get to red, whatever that number may be, well, it’s not your physical game that needs work.

As any Plus will tell ya, Be they Am or Pro, when you’re Playing in the 60’s, yea, the physical game is clicking, the wedges are landing in the circle and your putts are falling, however more than anything else, it is a subconscious calm and confidence that enveloped the individual, that allows them to “close the deal.”

One doesn’t “hope” that they can “keep it together,” they KNOW that they will keep it together. This kind of calm mentally and subconsciously is transferred to the body, muscles and physical swing/stroke, and from one’s breathing to their walk and then their swing/stroke, it’s just a matter of executing the vision that they have in their mind’s eye.

This visualization starts with the PSR and moves through visualizing the successful swings/strokes, shots and holes to come.

The great thing is that this can be practiced off of the course whenever you have 5-15 minutes to yourself.

Put yourself on the course, in the money game or tournament, in the moment.

Breathe as you would and visualize your PSR, your address, your swing/stroke, the shot and the expected successful outcome of the shot/putt.

Just as you practice a specific full swing shot, wedge or short game shot, or ya run 100 straight 3’ers, you have to do the same with your mental side as far as reps to condition your mind to act/react no differently whether it’s a shot/putt for a 66 or a 76.

At Plus, everyone has physical game-

The one’s that win, regardless of the level, have a mental game to match!!

The very best to ya and Hats off on being a Plank Owner?

Fairways &Greens 4ever My Friend

RP

In the end, only three things matter~ <br /><br />How much that you loved...<br /><br />How mightily that you lived...<br /><br />How gracefully that you accepted both victory & defeat...<br /><br /><br /><br />GHIN: Beefeater 24

Have been -2 through 10 holes, then bogeyed out for a +6. Gotta maintain focus. Nutrition and fatigue could play a part. Can't focus with sugar levels dropping and tired swing.

Had an even par 72 with a 3 putt on 18. Could have been first under par round. Was more mad about #12. After birdies on 10 and 11 hit perfect drive leaving 120 yrs into the wind. Hard PW or easy 9? Tried to cut the 9 but pulled it to the left fringe, pin being on the right. Long putt hit a too little hard and misread the break at the end. Par putt slid barely right past the edge of the hole.

You have to make a lot of correct decisions and confidently execute your plan. Helps to be very skilled at all aspects of the game. :-]

This thread reminds me of J T on 2nd round of tourney. Drove over the green on par 4. Chip shot rolled off front of green. Pitch shot rolled back down to his feet. Next shot got on the green but he missed the putt to card a 6 when it looked like he would get a 3 or easy 4. Went on to win the tourney in playoff. He didn't let his messed up hole derail him.

The whole idea that it’s all about mindset to keep a round going is nonsense. People who actually shoot in the 60s regularly do it easily no matter how calm they feel.

They are just better at golf then a 70s shooter who is hoping to string together a lucky stretch so they can tell their friends that broke 70.

The whole idea that it's all about mindset to keep a round going is nonsense. People who actually shoot in the 60s regularly do it easily no matter how calm they feel.

They are just better at golf then a 70s shooter who is hoping to string together a lucky stretch so they can tell their friends that broke 70.

Disagree 100%.

Sure, there's players who are just on another level that do it that way. Those players are few and far between. For those of us that routinely shoot in the 60s, but it's still a massive challenge, your mindset can 100% make or break your round. I've had many rounds in the 60s, but I've also pissed away numerous chances over the years counting strokes and starting to play prevent defense out there. I had a round two years ago where I was 6 under through 11 holes. Ended up shooting 73 because I panicked a little bit once I realized how low. Made a bogey on 12 and BOOM... it was over. I went in the full fledged prevent defense and the wheels fell off. It was 100% a mental issue. It happens. Even to the best players in the world.

The whole idea that it's all about mindset to keep a round going is nonsense. People who actually shoot in the 60s regularly do it easily no matter how calm they feel.

I'll agree somewhat with this mind thingy. It is NOT in your mind if you don't ever think about it being in your mind. You only need to get the right mind set IF you have allowed your mindset to affect your play. You have to play stupid!! You can't even think about what you have done or what you need to do. You only need to think about what you are doing at the time.

All this baloney about falling apart on 17 and 18 and "blowing" your chance is nonsense. It does not matter where your bad holes are. You can blow the first two and be done before you get to three, or you can blow 17 and 18. It makes no difference.

You play each shot to the best of your abilities. You can not or do not need to think about what just happened or what will or may happen. Its already a done deal. Just play the next shot the best you can.

BTW - I know my scores from the first shot to the last shot. It makes me comfortable knowing where I am and what I need to do. But I don't think about the past shots or the result of the next shot or next hole. Just hit the ball.

Yes, I've scored in the 60's.

Disagree 100%.

Sure, there's players who are just on another level that do it that way. Those players are few and far between. For those of us that routinely shoot in the 60s, but it's still a massive challenge, your mindset can 100% make or break your round. I've had many rounds in the 60s, but I've also pissed away numerous chances over the years counting strokes and starting to play prevent defense out there. I had a round two years ago where I was 6 under through 11 holes. Ended up shooting 73 because I panicked a little bit once I realized how low. Made a bogey on 12 and BOOM... it was over. I went in the full fledged prevent defense and the wheels fell off. It was 100% a mental issue. It happens. Even to the best players in the world.

A ton of truth in this post. Guys don't realize that there is a bit of fear in losing that under par round that alters how one was thinking to get under par. And until you break 70 a couple of times there can be a mental block of "I'm not good enough to break 70" that also ruins the mental side of a potential sub 70 round.

At your skill level, it is just like what separates the pros - short game. You obviously keep the ball in play off the tee. When you make a GIR, tell yourself you could get closer next time, but make the putt. When you are off the green, chip it closer. And you have to make those par conversions. As I said, at your level, it comes down to short play.

Yeah, this coming from a 9 hc...I could get back to a 6 except for my short game, but I'm getting friggin old...

At your skill level, it is just like what separates the pros - short game. You obviously keep the ball in play off the tee. When you make a GIR, tell yourself you could get closer next time, but make the putt. When you are off the green, chip it closer. And you have to make those par conversions. As I said, at your level, it comes down to short play.

Yeah, this coming from a 9 hc...I could get back to a 6 except for my short game, but I'm getting friggin old...

I think more than the short game, it's overall ballstriking. That sets everything up. That's where most of your "big" mistakes come from. It also dictates your short game and putting odds. Just like your odds of making a 10 foot putt are dramatically easier than a 20 foot putt, your odds of getting up and down from 10 yards are easier than 15. Better players just have a tighter dispersion across the board.