2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Breaking 70

gibbyfan

How to do it?
Twice this week I was 3 under and after a slip up( triple bogey) I was unable to refocus and finish the round on a positive note. I shot 72 and 77 after the slip up, but I just can't get over the hump to shoot in the 60s. What can I do? I know stay in the present, but I have never been able to do that. Any advice would be appreciated!

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Breaking 70 requires flawless golf and plenty up and downs.

Golf is all in the head. Once you have your swing and game setup the rest is "focus"..

I compare breaking 70 to a game of matchplay.. Once you stuff up/lose a hole, you've got to leave it back there and focus on the next hole... Worst thing you can do is say "Since I made a triple there, I gotta make up some shots"...

If you really struggle to get over it. Try taking some headphones and listen to some music that gives you inspiration. What I find it does, is take my mind off the game and bad thoughts/shots and essentially start a fresh.

Good hard rock music works well.

Callaway Epic Flash 3xDiamond Tour Spec Driver Ventus 6X
Titleist TS2 17 hybrid - KBS Tour Proto S
Srixon ZU85 2 iron Modus 120S
Callaway X Forged 3-PW Nippon Modus Tour 120S
Titleist SM6 52, 58
Taylormade Spider Tour Black

Twice this week I was 3 under and after a slip up( triple bogey) I was unable to refocus and finish the round on a positive note. I shot 72 and 77 after the slip up, but I just can't get over the hump to shoot in the 60s. What can I do? I know stay in the present, but I have never been able to do that. Any advice would be appreciated!

Don't add up your score till AFTER the round is finished. That's all part of the 'stay in the present' mentality, you probably started thinking about your end result before you actually got there and put pressure on yourself which caused the slip up.

I'm not sure you need to play flawless golf to break 70- I think to score at this level you need to work on making more birdies. There will always be bogeys and occasional doubles but they can be overcome.

My USGA index is scratch and this is a real focus for me right now- here's what I'm working on.

Staying in the present is vital. I'm working on playing each hole like a matchplay hole where I have to make birdie.

I have practiced hard at putt from 2-5 feet. I need to be able to try to make everything I look at, stop lagging putts, and be confident with the comeback.

I've played a dozen or so rounds from the forward tees to get used to having more birdie opportunities, hopefully take advantage of them, and get comfortable being under par.

Staying in the present is a huge key. In the match play thread, I told of how in a recent match I ended up shooting -2 and thought I played crap. I just kept on each shot one at a time and after the match, I looked at it and it ended up at 2 under. Take away a double bogie and there's 69.

If you've ever put together a stretch of holes like this : par-par-birdie-par-birdie-par-par-double-double, it's not that you aren't capable of shooting under par. Most likely you realized you were -2 through 7 and doubled in because of it.

Also, if you want to work on anything specifically on the range, work on your Driver, your Wedges and your putter. Hit every fairway, wedge it close from everywhere and make everything you look at.

It's doable, I promise.

-mini

don't look at the scorecard. I usually know what I'm at in my head but when I start looking at numbers on the card I lose it too and lose track of my game. I just broke 70 for 1st time ever 3 weeks ago and my buddy was keeping score but I knew I had to make the birdie putt on 18 for my 69. Drained it.

Didn't miss a shot all day and chipped in twice once from 100yds away. Short game and putts is what did it for me.

unlike most people here, I have never had the privilege of shooting in the 60's. However, when I was having a week where i played out of my mind, I had what was almost the same for me.

I was in Orlando for a conference and afterwards, stayed a few days over at Bay Hill. I shot a 78 then a 75 there. Unbelievable! Then I had to be in Dallas and was playing a corporate outing at Las Colinas and shot an 80. Proceeded to come home to my home course in SF Bay Area and shot 1-under par 71!!!! From teh blue tees, at Shoreline Golf Club, that was playing to a 'plus 1' or something like that! To me, as an 8 index, that was like shooting in the 60's. I may never play like a pro but nobody can ever take away that I shot a round under par on a respectable course. Still one of my greatest golf achievements to date.

On that round, I made mistakes. On the 12th hole, I drove in the water. Next shot into the bunker, failed to get out in one shot. Next hole, stuffed a wedge close for a birdie. Next hole, hit greenside bunker and again failed to get out in one. On 18 tee, I knew I was 1-under (and did not need scorecard to tell me that). There was driving range OBI left, and OBI right with bunkers framing the landing area unless I nutted one. Of course, because I knew I was 1-under, I totally messed up my drive short left under a tree. I then had a shot that if I tried it, meant hitting about a 3-iron punched low and rising over another short tree, then running up onto the green with a bit of a draw. Not exactly in my bag. Of course I tried it. I near chinked it then nearly cried as it was heading straight across the fairway and towards OBI. Stopped almost under a tree. Hit wedge 6 feet pas teh hole, leaving a slick downhill left to right breaking putt. I thought I needed oxygen there. Luckily, in a tourney a few weeks earlier, I had that exact putt so I knew what it would do. I drained it to preserve my 1-under.

Point: I had ups and downs but the recovery shots are what saved me. I made mistakes that other times I never make but I was able to put it behind me and make a good stroke afterwards rather than crumbling. After that 12the hole, I thought it was all over but when I stuffed that wedge on 13, I said 'hey, I am right back there and can do it again!

Titleist 915 D3 9.5 degree, Oban Devolution 6 (03 stiffness) 65g
TE Exotics CB2 3w 15 degree Proforce V2
Mizuno JPX 825 19 deg Hybrid fujikura s
Ping i20 blue dot, Rifle Project X 5.5
Cleveland RTX 588 56 degree, Rotex 2.0
Ping Anser 2i isopur

definately focus on the next shot and the next shot only - that's it, if its a putt or chip - try to make it - you must exercise your freewill to only focus on the next task at hand, then relax enjoy the walk and do it all over again - if you start playing "what if" you're finished and yes you will screw up some shots - minimize the damage and exposure to round killers like doubles or worse

my best scores are when I don't add up the numbers until it's over and knowing when to take my lumps and play safe ie: pitch out of trouble to a spec yardage if possible and try to make par from there - you'd be surprised at how often you can save it from your special yardages whatever that number is, mine is 130, 110, 90 or 60.

Thank you guys for the advice. I have had a number of chances this year and in my past and have really struggled to close the deal. it seems that I have always kept a running total in my head. One thing that I have thought about is that I concentrate too much on shooting in the 70s and not playing and shooting in the 60s. Maybe it is time to retool my thought process and what I practice what are your thoughts on this?

Driver: Tour Issue Epic Flash TD 10.5o w/ Fuji Ventus Black 6x 

5wd: Taylormade Sim2 SHAFT???    

Hybrid: 19Titleist 915 w/ Diamana 90 Stiff

Irons: 4Iron thru GW Titleist T100  Shaft????     

Wedges: Edel Wedges 54 & 58 Nippon Modus 125 

Putter: PXG Bat Attack Gen1

I've played a dozen or so rounds from the forward tees to get used to having more birdie opportunities, hopefully take advantage of them, and get comfortable being under par.

I think Fred Funk used to play the middle or forward tees when he was the golf coach at Maryland. He said it helped him gain confidence in scoring low and more experience with the birdie/eagle jitters.

I guess he usually played from the back tees and scored okay, but in tournaments and such (before he turned pro) they played the middle or forwad tees. Since he scored low there, he figured it wasn't a stretch to score low from the back tees . . . I think it worked out great for him.

• 1 month later...

I read this thread a while ago, as I was going through the same process at the time; consistently in the 70's, but the best I've ever carded was -1 on nine and even through 18. It sounds awesome, but after a while it gets pretty frustrating.

So, I just shot a -2 69 this past sunday. 6 birdies, 4 bogeys. Started birdie, birdie, birdie and never looked back. From my experience, here's what I focus on;

1) a wrx'er said earlier that you need flawless golf, but i disagree. you just need to avoid the big mistakes (water, ob, etc.)

2) I've been making more birdies lately, I think, because my attitude has been (once I make one) "act like you've done it before." sure, get a little excited, but don't over or under play it. say "thanks" to the compliments and move on... to the next birdie opportunity. Seriously, if you're thinking about how to shave those few strokes and get under par on a regular basis, YOU ARE GOOD ENOUGH, just act like it.

3) Hit your putt like you want to make it, not like you just don't want to three-putt. Seems obvious, seems easy, but it is a major mental hurdle for most. Next time your striking the ball well and have a bunch of birdie looks; try to honestly reflect on your mental state. Tournament calibre amateurs and pros (when on their game) are trying to make EVERY reasonable length putt.

I'm still in the process of breaking par regularly, but with the thoughts i've mentioned above, I'm making a lot more birdies, lowered my average score and index, and in general, can't wait to play my next round.

15 pars and 3 birdies is all it takes to shoot 69 on most courses. People seem to think that par isn't good enough so they try for more birdies and end up with "bogies" that they have to "make up" with MORE BIRDIES.

It doesn't matter if you made 9 birdies and 3 pars and 6 bogies or if you made 15 pars and 3 birdies, it both equals 69.

Learn to make MORE PARS with LESS BOGIES with a birdie thrown in here and there and you'll be fine. If you are a big hitter your goal should be to play par golf on the majority of the course and birdie every par 5. Most golf courses these days have 4-5 par 5s. If you par everything and birdie those, it's essentially like a par 68 or par 69 :)

Something that I have found that REALLY helped my golf game was when I started playing the local par 3 course.

No don't laugh, I'm being serious here.

The course I'm talking about has roughly 15 par 3 holes (usually anywhere from 90 yards to 150 yards long), with a few par 4's mixed in. Playing this course repeatedly made me become a better player from 150 yards and in. I got a lot more practice with my wedges, and I really had to focus on distance control.

On top of that, the rounds didn't take too long and it was usually pretty cheap to do. I recommend it to anyone who wants to lower their score.

I know exactly what this is like. My focus has changed quite a bit though. Yesterday, I shot a terrible 69. I looked like a total hack. It was an ugly front nine; I was all over the map. But, I was making pars from the trees. It was pretty crazy. My biggest thing has been giving myself more credit for hitting a great shot to make up for a bad one. I guess I started to treat each "make up" shot as a little victory.

Going into the back nine yesterday I had a huge boost of confidence. I really felt like it didn't matter where I hit the ball. It was amazing how my game turned around with the huge vote of confidence.

Up until recently, I never really bought the notion that much of sub-70 golf is between your ears.

Something that I have found that REALLY helped my golf game was when I started playing the local par 3 course.

No don't laugh, I'm being serious here.

The course I'm talking about has roughly 15 par 3 holes (usually anywhere from 90 yards to 150 yards long), with a few par 4's mixed in. Playing this course repeatedly made me become a better player from 150 yards and in. I got a lot more practice with my wedges, and I really had to focus on distance control.

On top of that, the rounds didn't take too long and it was usually pretty cheap to do. I recommend it to anyone who wants to lower their score.

I agree man. That's where you make your money on the course.. I always thought it was pretty cliche until I started embracing the game from 120 yards and in.

• 9 years later...

Breaking 70 is quite a feat for most players. I have personally done it numerous of times. As a player, you have to understand that you are good and that you can play. That is the definite first. Second, eliminate bogeys. The key is to play smart golf. Take on shots you know that you won't make worse than par from. If you have a 220 yard par 3 with water down the left, tee off from the left side and take the water out of play. Tour players make the minimum amount of bogeys as possible. Third, know your game. Know your tendency, strengths, and weaknesses. If you are a strong driver off, take driver as often as possible, if you are a good wedge player, take advantage of your wedges. Be aware of what's going on and adapt to the changes. Finally, you have to commit to the shot and be aware of your thoughts. When you are 3 or 4 under, be aware of it, but don't latch on. You can't control your mind. You have to just latch on to the right ideas when you're playing and let go of the others. I hope this helps your game.

Set your goal lower. It's hard to shoot 69. Try to shoot 67 or 68 if you miss your goal you still shoot in the 60's. It's not easy though but once you get over the hump it will help.

Callaway Paradym TD Ventus 6S Black Velocore
TM Sim2 3 wood Tour AD DI 7x
TM Sim 5 wood Ventus Blue Velocore 8x
Mizuno JPX 923 Modus 120x 
Odyssey Stroke Lab Double Wide
Vokeys SM9 56,60

The biggest mistake I see is poeple start to play safe and get their round to the club house.

Happens with people trying to break 100, 90, 80, 70 and tour players that are near the cut line or on pace for their record low.

Playing safe is the worst thing you can do. Playing your normal game is what gets you to the club house.

If you're a guy that tries to make birdie on every hole, do that. If you're a guy who plays patient golf and lets the birdies happen, do that.

If your nature is to attack every pin, keep doing it. The good rounds get away from you when you divert for your routine.

Playing par as your partner and playing red tees teaches you to shoot low, but the only way to "save" the 69 is to play the same golf that got you to 3 under....and try to get to 4,5 and 6.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

Breaking 70 is quite a feat for most players. I have personally done it numerous of times. As a player, you have to understand that you are good and that you can play. That is the definite first. Second, eliminate bogeys. The key is to play smart golf. Take on shots you know that you won't make worse than par from. If you have a 220 yard par 3 with water down the left, tee off from the left side and take the water out of play. Tour players make the minimum amount of bogeys as possible. Third, know your game. Know your tendency, strengths, and weaknesses. If you are a strong driver off, take driver as often as possible, if you are a good wedge player, take advantage of your wedges. Be aware of what's going on and adapt to the changes. Finally, you have to commit to the shot and be aware of your thoughts. When you are 3 or 4 under, be aware of it, but don't latch on. You can't control your mind. You have to just latch on to the right ideas when you're playing and let go of the others. I hope this helps your game.

You guys know this thread is from 2007, right?

OP, have you broken 70 yet? LOL

Callaway Great Big Bertha 9* (Rogue Rip i/O 60x)
2016 M1 3HL (Aldila Rogue Silver 70x)
TaylorMade p790 3i (KBS Tour S)
TaylorMade RSi TP 4-9i (KBS Tour S)
Mizuno T7 Blue Ion 46-50-54-58 (S300)
Spider Tour Platinum 35"
TP5x

Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/hurryupgolf/?hl=en

You guys know this thread is from 2007, right?

OP, have you broken 70 yet? LOL

This is what I get for answering with my phone.

All "tips" are welcome. Instruction not desired. 

The problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts.

BERTRAND RUSSELL

easy when your 3 under you want to shoot 5 under. People that play safe or conservative more often mess it up. I relate it to leading a tourny, when you lead by 2 you want to win by 4. . When your 3 under try and shoot 5 or 6 under. Be smart aggressive, I hate screwing up a rd or losing a tourny by conservative or scared golf. Promise next time your there thinking this way will make it easier, funny I never read Monte's post I answered first, and I also just seen this was from 2007, dam

m6 9 degree , tensai pro orange 70s , and epic flash sub zero rogue 60x
m4 3 wd, 15 degree rogue 125 msi 60 tour x  and epic flash sub zero hzrdus 70x,
818 h2 hybrid 19 degree ,tour spec blue 85s
taylor p790 17 degree
taylormade p760 3-pw
vokey 50--56--60
taylormade spider tour dj version and cleveland huntington beach number 1
epic green staff bag or taylormade flex lite 

• 2 weeks later...

Breaking 70, that's 3 under 4s for 18 holes of golf. Tough nut to crack. Requires good golf with concentration and smart decisions on every shot.

Nerves are difficult to avoid, they will appear no matter the level if you are close to a personal achievement. Try and embrace them, rather than let them put you off.

Recently I was -3 par on the 18th tee, 400 yards, OOB left off the tee and left of the narrow green with the pin tucked up the back left!

Nerves yes, but I told myself its nothing special, been here before (which helps). Took a extra safe line off the tee, and again a safe line on with my approach (missed green pin high right). Got up and down for par. I'm not advocating playing safe, the 18th at Lundin is a card wrecker with the OOB left, so I just took some smart decisions to make 5 the worst I was going to score. If it had been an easier finish hole I would have been going for bird.

When the nerves come, eat them up and tell yourself this is what its all about!

Then grip it and rip it (nerves makes most folks start to guide the swing! )

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

The biggest mistake I see is poeple start to play safe and get their round to the club house.

Happens with people trying to break 100, 90, 80, 70 and tour players that are near the cut line or on pace for their record low.

Playing safe is the worst thing you can do. Playing your normal game is what gets you to the club house.

If you're a guy that tries to make birdie on every hole, do that. If you're a guy who plays patient golf and lets the birdies happen, do that.

If your nature is to attack every pin, keep doing it. The good rounds get away from you when you divert for your routine.

Playing par as your partner and playing red tees teaches you to shoot low, but the only way to "save" the 69 is to play the same golf that got you to 3 under....and try to get to 4,5 and 6.

I heard a story about Greg Norman. When he was younger, he would find himself something like -7 after 10 holes. He would think "-7 is good enough". Then he'd start trying to make pars and wind up frittering a couple and couldn't get back into the birdie everything mindset and he'd finish with like 68 or some such. Decent score, but not great after being -7 through 10. Then one day he once again was -7 through 10 and he thought to himself "if I can get to -7 after 10 holes, how low can I go through 18?" He shot 61 and never looked back.

It is scary how much of your score is about your mindset.

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant