Rants and Raves...

Chris,

When your brain is computing distance 'old school' does it come up with a yardage, a modified yardage (ie. it plays 110 taking into account various factors), or does it compute a 'club' to hit? It probably does all three, but is there a preference?

My procedure is to walk to my ball absorbing wind (do I aim off and where?),slopes,lie,hazards (do I miss short or long?) and by the time I reach it I'm pulling a club out,simpler for me than most as I usually play with a half-set but the final analysis is 'What do I need to reach the flag without forcing the shot?'.

On my home course I would feel stupid relying on a DMD having experienced the course in all its moods over countless rounds and consider that those mid to high handicappers that do use them will never be proper golfers because they never learn anything from their experiences.

Generally they are also the guys who think that practice is hitting a tube of balls before they play and who having played crap on Monday return on Wednesday in the fond belief that they will have been sprinkled with magic dust by the Golf Fairy overnight and they are about to card a round in level par or thereabouts.

My routine suits me well,I have played a couple of courses recently for the first time (Ganton and College Pines),I drove the ball horribly at Ganton but my approach play was ok,better driving at College Pines and a lot of good approach shots and not even a course planner to hand (the pro offered to sell me a Garmin!).

My dislike for DMD was initiated at my old club (Heworth,in York) when I went out to support the lads in a scratch league match one evening and watched a visiting player on a short par four with an approach of 130 yards.

He arrived at his ball and pulled out a Bushnell,scoped the yardage,once,twice,returned Bushnell,tossed the salad in the air,back to the Bushnell for more scoping,finally picked a club hit the shot and missed the green by ten yards to the right....

Who was it (Trevino?) said 'If you're gonna miss 'em,miss 'em quick!'.

I guess that's one of the advantages of playing the bulk of one's rounds at a single course. You soon learn how to play it based on varying conditions and where you typically hit from. The actual number is less of a concern then as you have learned how each hole plays, be it long or short and the impacts of wind as well as firmness. I rarely do anything more than pace off a yardage from a marker and then adjust from there. I find it interesting that when an accurate yardage is available, be it laser or GPS, on a course that I'm not completely familiar with, it rarely results in me getting a materially better result than what I get from a paced yardage. Hence, I've never really been all that excited about buying one.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I'm with you guys. Started out playing alone yesterday. Caught and joined a gentleman at 7 waiting on a 4some that showed no interest in allowing him to play through. We were then caught and joined by another single at 11. Both used DMD as you call them and both tried to give me yardage... Once. Told them both Thanks, Don't Care, Please don't tell me again. What do you do? I look.

Beat them both by the way.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Rant On.

As the BBC no longer have any real interest in televising golf and as I refuse to put money into Murdoch's grimy pocket it's rare that I have the opportunity to watch golf other than my cherished dvd's of Hogan,Nicklaus,Watson,Faldo,so I was interested to see that there was a 45 minutes highlights programme of the PGA Championship from Wentworth in Surrey on the BBC tonight.

I can understand now why golf is considered to be a dying game,45 minutes of turgid golf played by robots dressed by Nike was enough to convince me that professional aka processional (as in funeral) golf has become unbelievably unwatchable.

The old Burma Road appears to have been obliterated in favour of what appears to be a more open golf course with little rough and nothing like the course that hosted the autumnal matchplay event which was always exciting,many of the areas around the greens that used to be fairly thick grass have been shaved down to fringe length,wayward shots not penalised as in the past,so not much of an examination paper for Europe's finest.

Nike appear to have a virtual monopoly in dressing these jokers,does their marketing department seriously think that flooding the spectators view with unlimited 'swooshes' will sell more of their over-priced sweatshop apparel?

I have no wish to be part of the Nike corporation,au contraire,I prefer something with an air of individuality,a shirt without a logo or at least something discrete that does not immediately shout 'Rory/Tiger/Jason/Dustin fanboy'!

Over and out.

Darn it, Did I keep running into the same idiot on different golf courses or is this is the new trend ?

Loud music on the golf course..... his Ma Ma did not teach him the etiquette when he was little. I hate hearing the music on the golf course. I golf because I want to get away from the other stuff in life, not to bring them to the golf course with me for 4 hours.

Young guy, in his twenties, riding golf cart, loud music........hate this.

I might have to find his facebook page ( pretty sure he'll have at least one " just so I'll know where he'd be golfing next . I'll avoid that golf course when he is on it.

Loud music on the golf course..... his Ma Ma did not teach him the etiquette when he was little. I hate hearing the music on the golf course. I golf because I want to get away from the other stuff in life, not to bring them to the golf course with me for 4 hours.

Could not agree more! Same as politics mingled with sports - I watch sports to escape from all of the BS. I watch golf to escape from the sewage that makes up the majority of TV. Same issue to me. I don't want to hear their tunes.

Being a rhythm golfer, I try to have a tune in my head that helps with my timing and rhythm. Their tunes interrupt that flow. Birds chirping and lawn mowers don't. They add to the enjoyment. UNPLUG people! Ugh!

:to_become_senile:

Could not agree more! Same as politics mingled with sports - I watch sports to escape from all of the BS. I watch golf to escape from the sewage that makes up the majority of TV. Same issue to me. I don't want to hear their tunes.

Being a rhythm golfer, I try to have a tune in my head that helps with my timing and rhythm. Their tunes interrupt that flow. Birds chirping and lawn mowers don't. They add to the enjoyment. UNPLUG people! Ugh!

:to_become_senile:

I have friends wearing the earbuds sometime because of one reason or the other. I really don't mind cause we're playing a casual round of golf. That does not bother me, only have to motion to him when we need to communicate. Like your push cart is sliding backward.......LOL

I consider myself a very liberal conservative, usually I have high tolerance for the others but very little forgiveness for my own mistake. Maybe because I'm aging, maybe because the population density had exploded. Or maybe because the kids and the grand kids of the baby boomers are now grown up, maybe because what we feed our children....... for whatever the reason, there seemed to be this attitude of lack of respect for the fellow human beings. The willingness to test and fight against the authority and rules are imminent , we'll have small issue of the idiots playing rock and roll music on the golf course and we'll have idiots sitting on the City council seats asserting new tax because they could not balance the book, or unwilling to enforce the existing Law.

Everyone has to be "in your face", instead of let people figured out by themselves. I don't mind the way they live their life just don'r force their way of living onto mine.

If I were 30 years younger, I'd be calling the Pro Shop or I'd be hopping over the next fairway ripping off that speaker and throw it into the water hazards. Yes, I blame their parents for dumping their issue onto the others to carry their load.

I think we'll have problems if these guys will run the country in the future.

I guess that's one of the advantages of playing the bulk of one's rounds at a single course. You soon learn how to play it based on varying conditions and where you typically hit from. The actual number is less of a concern then as you have learned how each hole plays, be it long or short and the impacts of wind as well as firmness. I rarely do anything more than pace off a yardage from a marker and then adjust from there. I find it interesting that when an accurate yardage is available, be it laser or GPS, on a course that I'm not completely familiar with, it rarely results in me getting a materially better result than what I get from a paced yardage. Hence, I've never really been all that excited about buying one.

Had never owned a laser or GPS range finder, don;t need one for my current game. They won't help me as much as someone whom could have consistent yardage off each golf club every time. My game vary from week to week depending on my health, some weeks I will have 10 yards more off each golf club than the week before .

I do, like to rotate playing different golf courses instead of playing majority of my rounds at a few familiar sites. Simply to peak my interest and attention by playing a different golf course from week to week.

Using the in ground yardage marker and eyeballing the elevation and the other elements, I could guess pretty well of approximate yardage within 5% or less.

That's pretty good for me.

Once in awhile, some golf courses will throw me off because the visual effect of the design makes it hard to tell the real distance.

Darn it, Did I keep running into the same idiot on different golf courses or is this is the new trend ?

I might have to find his facebook page ( pretty sure he'll have at least one " just so I'll know where he'd be golfing next . I'll avoid that golf course when he is on it.

We are fortunate in not having that problem (yet) just the minor irritation of people who have a 'conversation' with a playing partner who is on the other side of the fairway and who frequently appears to be partially deaf resulting in a mixture of shouted instructions or comments with a responding barrage of 'EH?' or 'WHAT?' all parties oblivious to the fact that there are other players on the course.

Current trend in the UK is for drivers to have their car stereos at maximum (11?) usually with that bass drum beat thing that can be heard a street away,I detest anything as invasive as this,it is a criminal offence but the police do nothing,a series of well-publicised prosecutions might help but as unlikely as prosecution over using a mobile phone while driving.

Some time ago I was almost decked by a woman talking on her mobile while driving,I chased her on my bike to the local Morrison's supermarket car park and phoned the police from there.Did I have a witness? No,only me.'We can't do anything without a witness.' I reported the exact time and location on the basis that her phone record would show it in use at that time but they were not interested.

Don't wish to give the wrong impression but I hear that 00 Buck works well on loud radios.

We are fortunate in not having that problem (yet) just the minor irritation of people who have a 'conversation' with a playing partner who is on the other side of the fairway and who frequently appears to be partially deaf resulting in a mixture of shouted instructions or comments with a responding barrage of 'EH?' or 'WHAT?' all parties oblivious to the fact that there are other players on the course.

Current trend in the UK is for drivers to have their car stereos at maximum (11?) usually with that bass drum beat thing that can be heard a street away,I detest anything as invasive as this,it is a criminal offence but the police do nothing,a series of well-publicised prosecutions might help but as unlikely as prosecution over using a mobile phone while driving.

Some time ago I was almost decked by a woman talking on her mobile while driving,I chased her on my bike to the local Morrison's supermarket car park and phoned the police from there.Did I have a witness? No,only me.'We can't do anything without a witness.' I reported the exact time and location on the basis that her phone record would show it in use at that time but they were not interested.

Don't wish to give the wrong impression but I hear that 00 Buck works well on loud radios.

I hear you !

When I was young, the Law of the land was upheld as it should be. No distraction while driving, you'll get pulled over by police and issue a ticket of violation. No extra tinted windows in the automobiles, for fear of not able to visual if the occupants pull a weapon on the patrolman . I know incidents of cars been pulled over and pulled off the tinted film on the windows before they were let back on the roadway.

We played loud music in the car when we were young, but with the windows shut. We enjoyed the music ( not boom box noise ).

Seriously, I do not mind if anyone want to donate their ear drums, just shut the windows and blast away. Don't open the window and want others to suffer through the vibration that could be felt a block away.

We have Law of distracted driving, Can not hold the phone in your hands if you're operating a motor vehicle..... guess what ?

I see that Law being violated all the time, not only they yak on the phone , most of them were texting, sharing their social media ....

Going over 60 MPH in traffic.

No wonder our auto insurance rate had sky rocketed. Their driving privileges should be taken away until they prove they could be a responsible driver.

Yes, the cell phone record is another thing, unless with an order from the Court Of Law, the cell phone company will NOT release records for investigation of endangerment to the public..... figure that one out ?

Many of the bicycle riders in our city wear a camera on their helmet ( GoPro or something similar ) which will record their ride. Which you should consider if you ride a bike all the time. Heck, I even have a ride recorder inside my car, it's on when I r=turn on the engine. This is to idiot proof in case needed to avoid the you say, I say scenario.

We have Law and Ordinance in place, but it's so hard to enforce the Law of the Land these days. I often said, if the Law is not enforced, then why bother to have them in the first place ? Might as well let it go crazy, because it doesn't make sense to have the Law only observed by part of the citizens.

Rant over, for now.

Clanked one off the flagstick on a par 3 today....in the worst possible spot. Hit the stick about a foot above the green where it's nice and firm. Made a nice ball mark about 8 inches from the cup on the rebound.

Oh, did I mention that it then ricocheted off the green into ankle deep rough? A nice chip to 3 feet below the hole and a power lip out later, I strolled to the next tee with my bogey 4 like a boss. Golf.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Clanked one off the flagstick on a par 3 today....in the worst possible spot. Hit the stick about a foot above the green where it's nice and firm. Made a nice ball mark about 8 inches from the cup on the rebound.

Oh, did I mention that it then ricocheted off the green into ankle deep rough? A nice chip to 3 feet below the hole and a power lip out later, I strolled to the next tee with my bogey 4 like a boss. Golf.

OUCH!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

I can feel your pain--- I did that one time on the 16th hole of a mini event--- Hit the pin and went into a lake on a par 3. Now I had a 5 shot lead made a double bogey-- Unnerved the crap out of me Next hole rope hooked one OB took a double there. was still rattled last hole tied for the lead hit a rope hook OB again another double. Ended up 3rd. I had no discipline in those days all I had to do was hit it in the center of the green on the par 3 and 2 putt. No but hell no I had to go flag hunting. Even after the incident I still had a 3 shot lead all I had to do was hit the 1 iron off the tee but I was mad and had to bust one out there.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I hear you !

When I was young, the Law of the land was upheld as it should be. No distraction while driving, you'll get pulled over by police and issue a ticket of violation. No extra tinted windows in the automobiles, for fear of not able to visual if the occupants pull a weapon on the patrolman . I know incidents of cars been pulled over and pulled off the tinted film on the windows before they were let back on the roadway.

We played loud music in the car when we were young, but with the windows shut. We enjoyed the music ( not boom box noise ).

Seriously, I do not mind if anyone want to donate their ear drums, just shut the windows and blast away. Don't open the window and want others to suffer through the vibration that could be felt a block away.

We have Law of distracted driving, Can not hold the phone in your hands if you're operating a motor vehicle..... guess what ?

I see that Law being violated all the time, not only they yak on the phone , most of them were texting, sharing their social media ....

No wonder our auto insurance rate had sky rocketed. Their driving privileges should be taken away until they prove they could be a responsible driver.

Yes, the cell phone record is another thing, unless with an order from the Court Of Law, the cell phone company will NOT release records for investigation of endangerment to the public..... figure that one out ?

Many of the bicycle riders in our city wear a camera on their helmet ( GoPro or something similar ) which will record their ride. Which you should consider if you ride a bike all the time. Heck, I even have a ride recorder inside my car, it's on when I r=turn on the engine. This is to idiot proof in case needed to avoid the you say, I say scenario.

We have Law and Ordinance in place, but it's so hard to enforce the Law of the Land these days. I often said, if the Law is not enforced, then why bother to have them in the first place ? Might as well let it go crazy, because it doesn't make sense to have the Law only observed by part of the citizens.

Rant over, for now.

From being in the towing business I know a lot of Law Enforcement Officers. I play golf with quite a few on occasion. Right now all agencies are short on officers especially the State Patrol. Now this is sad. I asked one guy WTH? why can they not attract young folks to be officers. He told me think a minute how many kids do you know now in this area that do not have traffic tickets or a criminal record? Yep it is a sad state of affairs

I hear you !

Rant over, for now.

From being in the towing business I know a lot of Law Enforcement Officers. I play golf with quite a few on occasion. Right now all agencies are short on officers especially the State Patrol. Now this is sad. I asked one guy WTH? why can they not attract young folks to be officers. He told me think a minute how many kids do you know now in this area that do not have traffic tickets or a criminal record? Yep it is a sad state of affairs

Time is different now.

I have known quite a few in the local Law Enforcement and it used to be a good profession to retire from in 15-20 years and move on to other after life professions.

I see that this profession is getting really difficult to hold on. Like you mentioned, there is a general sense of not following the rules these days, everyone is walking the line thinking if they don't cut in front of someone else, they'll be left behind. Which is pushed by intensified competition these days. One of my neighbors stated, kids are facing a lot more competition these days.... which is true in some sense.

Law enforcers not only have to deal with the social issue of hostile attitude toward them, they also have to fight the court system of which will turn loose a majority of the bookings they worked so hard to bring in. It's like fighting the battle on both ends.

No, a lot of them were glade that they retired when they did a few years ago. They don't want to be in the mix we have these days.

Law is a law is a law, it's there for a reason. If the current ordinance is out dated or not applicable then, it should be changed according to our judicial process, not by disrupting the current system without a better solution. What we have these days is a break down of the continuity of carry on.

When I started playing golf, all those strangers and senior golfers will teach the etiquette and share their experience with me, back then the information system is not like today. We didn't have internet, the P.C. is just started with very primitive system, to program a calendar on the P.C. was slower than hand writing it down on a piece of paper...............so the learning process was very important to me. These days, the young golfers would be riding golf carts zip around the golf course and have no interest listening to others giving them the wisdom of pearl. They seemed to be in a big hurry to get to the "end", and they're all super human that have multiple life to stay in the game or could restart their life when they wish.

Most of them will not be a "golfer" because the game is a continuous learning process, they don't have the patience for it and they don't want to learn how to be patient.

So the game is trying to change to suit "the current time" as all those complain of the rules in golf was too difficult to follow.......I thought the rules in golf are part of the charm for the game. I hope the ruling body of golf will not give in to the complain of the tradition. Tradition is but the only thing makes this game interesting.

Rant: On the radio coming in to work & on google news (which I am growing to hate) the headlines are all about Tiger and his final round 72 at The Memorial, with NO mention of who actually won the tournament! Give me a break! The news media simply reveal how little they actually know about the younger players who are better than Woods on a more consistent basis. No mention of the Women's US OPEN either.

In spite of the "sterile" coverage, Bryson Deschambeau is one of the few bright spots, and should be applauded for his unique & respectful approach to the game. His victory showcased his determination. He should be talked about, and should be the lead story or right behind the Women's Open. What Tiger does or does not do should be a distant third at best.

Coverage = Sad.....

End of Rant

Rant: On the radio coming in to work & on google news (which I am growing to hate) the headlines are all about Tiger and his final round 72 at The Memorial, with NO mention of who actually won the tournament! Give me a break! The news media simply reveal how little they actually know about the younger players who are better than Woods on a more consistent basis. No mention of the Women's US OPEN either.

In spite of the "sterile" coverage, Bryson Deschambeau is one of the few bright spots, and should be applauded for his unique & respectful approach to the game. His victory showcased his determination. He should be talked about, and should be the lead story or right behind the Women's Open. What Tiger does or does not do should be a distant third at best.

Coverage = Sad.....

End of Rant

Yeah in most cases Tiger can shoot 80 and miss the cut by a mile and someone else could shoot the course record and Tiger will get more coverage. Yep the coverage now days is sad

They go with what moves the needle. My regular foursome were talking about this last Friday. Modern Pros are like Tennis Players in the 80's straight out of youth academies and boring. Tiger is different and a known commodity he gets the press. I am surprised Bryson does not get more attention sense he is different, but his club selection, and some of his antics are probably a little off putting to the manufacturers who pay the bills.

This is universal,I'm not sure if there are any real journalists these days who are able to write perceptive and entertaining pieces,almost everything now is plagiarised and minimally reworked material from the internet or silly headline-seeking nonsense.

The BBC had a worldwide reputation for the quality of its objective reporting,the current golf correspondent,Iain Carter,is a failed accountant,apparently infatuated with Rory McIlroy who features with predictable regularity regardless of what he has done,even mediocre performances merit 'copy' while winners and other newsworthy items are glossed over or ignored.

Just putting the broader question of whether failing at accountancy is indeed a branch of failure, or rather something to celebrate.

One does wonder, however I suspect that you would get a different perspective from a successful accountant than a failed one. My accountant shared with me recently that he has no intention of retiring as he is having too much fun! It's just so easy, he said!

I'm not sure what it is about the profession that he finds so appealing, but there must be something that tweaks his own personal sensibilities...

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa