2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Rants and Raves...

PS...

Played a few weeks ago with a guy I meet on the 1st tee. On hole 13 (of course) I drove into trouble and put a bunker and trees between myself and the green. Hit a 3 iron that I got to work left to right and left it on the front apron. He screamed 'That's a Golf Shot!' Told me you don't see that any more. Made me feel both good and sad.

PSS...

Not saying the Pros can't work the ball. I'm saying they aren't forced to as often as they should be.

But there's a gazillion threads on here that say the modern ball can't be worked :rofl:

I think they can be, but with driving, I find the smaller persimmon heads easier for shot shaping that the balloon-on-a-stick modern clubs, even when using the same ball.

I was playing in a tournament a couple of weeks ago where I needed a bit more pop off the tee and I played a Callaway XR16. Didn’t have any issues with it moving the ball, and, performed well holding it against a crosswind.

Will have to say my driving was on point that day, so don’t know if it was my usually good day, or the club.

I like the Wilson Staff Duo Spin balls. I can get those to move.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

• 2 weeks later...

• 2 weeks later...

Blame the USGA, really, as they always seem to look at a new, never been done before achievement and in fear, take exactly the opposite action that they should. Tiger-proofing, for instance. No one in that meeting said, "hey guys, I get that we don't want one guy trampling the field because of his length, but how does making the course even longer help even the playing field, exactly? ....um....ok you guys aren't saying anything...." for crying out loud, they did the same thing after Johnny Miller burned Oakmont to cinders. If we make the fairway narrower, the rough longer, and the greens slicker who does it penalize? Probably not the dude that hasn't hit it more than a yard off line all day. I get they want to showcase the best players, but the wheels the set in motion have far reaching effects. This is an ancient game, why do they only look at it from a 5 year perspective? Why not, "where could this take us in 50 years?"

Reading utter garbage about how Tour players' putters are 'built'.

Made to sound like rocket science.

Trevino made adjustments by using his eyes and a concrete floor.

Rant over....

Totally agree. Bunch of BS.

Last Saturday, I'm standing in the garage looking at a Ping Anser 3 putter that I picked up in a thrift shop and thinking, "Damn I wish this thing wasn't so upright". Then my eyes slide over to my loft and lie machine that is only designed for irons and the wheels in my head start spinning. I mean what's the worst that can happen, right? Lose $3 that I paid for it??? Next thing you know, I've got it clamped in there and my long hosel bending par wrapped around it and I flattened it about 3 degrees...all the while holding my breath. I'm not sure if I altered the loft or not, but when I set the thing back down, it looked better. Slapped a new grip on it and took it to the golf course Sunday. Made a bunch of putts with it and didn't have a 3 putt all day.

Science, Schmience! David Graham was one of the best club makers and golfers of his era and its been said he could bend a set of clubs in a hotel door jamb. The guy would get done with a round of golf and other players had put clubs in his locker asking him if he could work on them and get them looking right. He would have them back to them, the next day! Now THAT impresses me! Not any of these stories about a tour player that got a putter specially built for him by a dozen NASA scientists. And oh by the way, the damn thing looks like the Anser I just bent in my garage! Rant over.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Rant over....

Last Saturday, I'm standing in the garage looking at a Ping Anser 3 putter that I picked up in a thrift shop and thinking, "Damn I wish this thing wasn't so upright". Then my eyes slide over to my loft and lie machine that is only designed for irons and the wheels in my head start spinning. I mean what's the worst that can happen, right? Lose $3 that I paid for it??? Next thing you know, I've got it clamped in there and my long hosel bending par wrapped around it and I flattened it about 3 degrees...all the while holding my breath. I'm not sure if I altered the loft or not, but when I set the thing back down, it looked better. Slapped a new grip on it and took it to the golf course Sunday. Made a bunch of putts with it and didn't have a 3 putt all day.

Science, Schmience! David Graham was one of the best club makers and golfers of his era and its been said he could bend a set of clubs in a hotel door jamb. The guy would get done with a round of golf and other players had put clubs in his locker asking him if he could work on them and get them looking right. He would have them back to them, the next day! Now THAT impresses me! Not any of these stories about a tour player that got a putter specially built for him by a dozen NASA scientists. And oh by the way, the damn thing looks like the Anser I just bent in my garage! Rant over.

Well you have been around and in the business long enough to figure it out. I made a jig to go on my Silvestri loft and lie machine to bend putters. Now I have to do manual calculations with a protractor the old school way. The other day I found a long necked Tommy Armour PGA Ironmaster style putter on the pile. It was bent in the hosel. I actually bent it back for me and it sat good. Did it the same way you talked about. In fact it sat so good to me I never pulled a manual protractor on it I gamed it on a lark the other day with the Precision irons and putted great with it. Now I would not bend say an expensive Scotty on my home made rig for someone but mess with my junk pile finds on it. Shoot back in the day I have seen guys bare eyed bend a set of irons to fit with a pipe wrench in the back bumper of a golf cart (back when carts had real steel bumpers like cars used to) or hang them in the leaf spring hanger on a Pargo or Ez-Go golf cart. I carried a pipe wrench for years with the teeth ground down for bending clubs. Some of the guys used to take copper pipe flattened down to put in the pipe wrench jaws to prevent scarring. Most of the old school hustlers I was around could care less about scarring up a iron or putter with a pipe wrench. LOL just something about a rusty old set of irons or putter adjusted by eye.

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Putters to me are all for show. I really dont think there is too much science going on in a putter. I mean you are not really asking that much of it. That being said I own a lot of them, but have never bought one to "fix" an issue, i jist like the way they look etc.

A friend of mine is 76 years old. He uses his father's putter, which his father bought in 1946. It works just fine. :-)

Putters to me are all for show. I really dont think there is too much science going on in a putter. I mean you are not really asking that much of it. That being said I own a lot of them, but have never bought one to "fix" an issue, i jist like the way they look etc.

Amen. At the end of the day, it's a stick meant to use to roll a ball along the ground. If you can set the thing down and it looks good enough to actually roll the ball where you think you are aiming it, then you've got a good putter.

Rant over....

Well you have been around and in the business long enough to figure it out. I made a jig to go on my Silvestri loft and lie machine to bend putters. Now I have to do manual calculations with a protractor the old school way. The other day I found a long necked Tommy Armour PGA Ironmaster style putter on the pile. It was bent in the hosel. I actually bent it back for me and it sat good. Did it the same way you talked about. In fact it sat so good to me I never pulled a manual protractor on it I gamed it on a lark the other day with the Precision irons and putted great with it. Now I would not bend say an expensive Scotty on my home made rig for someone but mess with my junk pile finds on it. Shoot back in the day I have seen guys bare eyed bend a set of irons to fit with a pipe wrench in the back bumper of a golf cart (back when carts had real steel bumpers like cars used to) or hang them in the leaf spring hanger on a Pargo or Ez-Go golf cart. I carried a pipe wrench for years with the teeth ground down for bending clubs. Some of the guys used to take copper pipe flattened down to put in the pipe wrench jaws to prevent scarring. Most of the old school hustlers I was around could care less about scarring up a iron or putter with a pipe wrench. LOL just something about a rusty old set of irons or putter adjusted by eye.

BIGSTU, I love that story. It reminds me of a story at the club I was working at when I was an apprentice.

I'm watching the head pro bend some irons on his loft and lie machine and a member walks in the shop and asks if the pro can bend his Ping Eye 2 one iron to 1 degree flat. Now I know the pro was a bit skittish about bending Ping irons because they could be a real bear to bend. But he takes it, puts it in the machine and measures the lie....then he unclamps it and takes the club and slams the heel of the club down real hard on the concrete floor....WHAAAAAAAM!. Then he puts it back in the machine, remeasures it and sure enough...1 degree flatter. Without saying a word, he hands it back to the guy who's chin is now on the floor. I mean what could the guy say? Mission Accomplished. HAAAAAAAAAA

Arch-- We were playing what we called a blitz one Sunday afternoon at the old man's course> this one was $10 a man winner take all--- Now this was a all iron blitz. I was about 15 years old at the time. I had a 1 iron I could flat scald with my hook then. It was an old Spalding Top Flite. I won the first 9 holes I think there was 30 players or so in it. One of the older guys got pissed because basically he got his butt stomped by several of us hitting 1 or 2 irons. They decided to do another one but no 1,2 or 3 irons. I said screw it I ain't playing besides i have their money in my pocket no one was going to change the game they made in mid stride. My old man told me the right thing to do was play besides all I could loose was $10. Ok I reluctantly bit but then had a thought of sheer genius. I was going to bend up a Mac 4 iron then thought that would be odd and would stand out since I was playing Custom 333 Spalding Elite irons. I took my 4 iron and bent it back on the spring shackle of a golf cart. Sat and looked like my 1 iron. Decided to play the big mouth sore loser who was a dumbWord not allowed anyhow on a $50 side bet. He had never played for more than $20 in his life and even if I lost both bets I was still a winner for the day. I waxed him but did not win the overall thing that time. He told my old man "That kid of yours hits that damn 4 iron almost as far as he does a 1 iron" It was not the loft of a 1 iron but darn near besides even at that age I knew how to deloft and hood down a club. Hey I was around a lot of hustlers at an early age and paid attention and mentally filed away notes for future reference. My old man asked me about that and I told him well I always hit that thing good and it might have gotten bent when I hit a rock on number 4. I did have a rock mark I filed down. He bought it with a grain of salt so to speak. He took it over to his buddy at the club shop a couple of days later and it was bent to roughly between a 2 or 3 iron of the day. He told me his buddy said that it must have been a hell of a rock to bend it that much. My old man knew I had a bad temper in those days and told Harold I probably threw it after I hit the rock knowing me. He was smart enough I knew he had not completely bought the story. Years later he asked me about it ( I thought he had forgot about it because I had) I did fess up then and he told me he had figured that I had done it. Told him I had seen some of the guys do it. He laughed about that and said 'well the Word not allowedhole got what he deserved anyhow" with you cleaning him out

Too many thoughts about Rants and Raves that could go into this section this morning, so I’ll try to limit myself to a couple:

New guy at work at Yeamans this work. They give me all the newbies to break in for a few days. If they pass the work with the “crusty old Navy Chief, and don’t complain,) then they might be worth keeping around.

Anyway, Carl wants to get more serious about golf. He’s been a “social golfer” for a few years, and said to me yesterday that he would like to get more involved in the game, but, from his perspective it appears to be too expensive. The cost of new clubs, greens fees, lessons, fittings, ECT, Got me to thinking “How many others would like to get into the game, but still see it as a money pit?”

Gave him my personal ideas on how the industry has changed over the years, and along with a few wise consumer tips, I think he’ll be taking the plunge.

I had thought golf had gotten out of the elitist shadow that it labored under for years. I was wrong.

If the industry as a whole continues to be driven by the bottom line then it’s up to us in the rank and file to grow the game one person at a time.

• 2 weeks later...

Over in 'Random conversation..' I wondered why Patrick Reed's reception was so underwhelming,Mr HC kindly provided a clue and then I saw an article by Ben Alberstadt on the same subject.

I was really no wiser having read it as it consisted of a shameful mix of rumour and innuendo that would have been at home in a tabloid or 'gutter press' publication under the pretence of asking a serious question.

This site is about golf not repeating unsubstantiated rumour and tittle-tattle about what someone 'might' have done as a young man.

Patrick Reed is deservedly Masters champion and has represented his country in great style,I loved his reaction to the idiot spectators at Gleneagles during the Ryder Cup matches,he's gutsy and shows a bit of character,he certainly does not merit the 'trash-talk' copy that appeared on here.

Anyway, Carl wants to get more serious about golf. He's been a "social golfer" for a few years, and said to me yesterday that he would like to get more involved in the game, but, from his perspective it appears to be too expensive. The cost of new clubs, greens fees, lessons, fittings, ECT, Got me to thinking "How many others would like to get into the game, but still see it as a money pit?"

Gave him my personal ideas on how the industry has changed over the years, and along with a few wise consumer tips, I think he'll be taking the plunge.

I had thought golf had gotten out of the elitist shadow that it labored under for years. I was wrong.

If the industry as a whole continues to be driven by the bottom line then it's up to us in the rank and file to grow the game one person at a time.

BOOM!

There it is.

Anyway, Carl wants to get more serious about golf. He's been a "social golfer" for a few years, and said to me yesterday that he would like to get more involved in the game, but, from his perspective it appears to be too expensive. The cost of new clubs, greens fees, lessons, fittings, ECT, Got me to thinking "How many others would like to get into the game, but still see it as a money pit?"

Gave him my personal ideas on how the industry has changed over the years, and along with a few wise consumer tips, I think he'll be taking the plunge.

If the industry as a whole continues to be driven by the bottom line then it's up to us in the rank and file to grow the game one person at a time.

BOOM!

There it is.

Indeed. It's about time to dust off the "old school" clubs and get out there to do some good old fashioned evangelizing again this year. Only problem up here (Wisconsin) is the 3ft snow drifts on the home course that have to melt first. I think we are about a month behind. But when the weather cooperates along with my joints, I will be out there. Plan on playing persimmon as a golf league sub this year. Actually going to try to play every round with the "old" clubs. Should be fun!

Wow, thanks for posting Tim. Made me realize I hadn't sent my letter to Jim Furyk yet!

Nickent 4DX Evolver 10.5*  UST Proforce V2 HL 60R

Ping G5 13.5*                  Aerotech Power Coil 50S                        

Innovex RLS 17* 4W    Fujikura Tour Platform 26.3 Tipped R

Orlimar Black Ti 22* 4H   Litespeed R

Adams A7 5-GW   UST Proforce 85R

Golfsmith/Spalding Cash-In 55/12 SW    Cleveland Action Lite S     

Cleveland TA 900 gunmetal 60*  Nicklaus Driveshaft R+

Slotline Raider Copper Cobalt 35"

or Ray Cook M1-A Austin  35"

• 2 weeks later...

The old saying used to be that b.s. baffles brains in which case I'm a natural heir to Stephen Hawking because I'm COMPLETELY baffled by recent marketing viz; Callaway and Jailbreak

A Footjoy video extolling their 'most powerful shoes ever'!

Wtf is that all about?

Powerful shoes?

Do the soles have increased COR?

On one hand it infuriates me that these marketing twats think so little of my intelligence that they can make nonsensical claims that I'm expected to swallow,on the other I'm glad for the light entertainment provided,it's the sort of stuff that Peter Griffin or Homer Simpson would devise in a marketing role and we would happily laugh and say 'That wouldn't happen in real life'.

Oh yes it does!

My stupid......

Maybe they're ex-Inspector Gadget,Goonies,Spiderman.....are they R&A/USGA conforming?

I can imagine that 30-odd years ago the marketing for Titleist/Footjoy was probably 'in house' and focussed on real qualities of their products.

Made in America by craftsmen.

Superb quality control.

Classic design and manufacturing.

Now it's a battle to outbs the opposition over a heap of mediocrity outsourced from the sweatshops of the orient.

I never cease to be amazed at the prices asked for crappy nylon bags,synthetic shoes held together with a dab of glue and sweaty polyester shirts with 'wicking technology'.

No wonder there's global warming,we're raising the temperature with all the energy produced by the friction of polyester and nylon rubbing against each other.

Chris, I was sent out today with 2 Twenty somethings and their bags full of gadgets and gizmos. At least they were nice kids and polite. I was packing my Mizzy Blades, old Callaway BB metal woods and a "White Driver." You can guess how that went for them.

There's no school like old school.

Chris, I was sent out today with 2 Twenty somethings and their bags full of gadgets and gizmos. At least they were nice kids and polite. I was packing my Mizzy Blades, old Callaway BB metal woods and a "White Driver." You can guess how that went for them.

There's no school like old school.

Wish I could give you more likes on that one--- "There's no school like old school"---- That was as much fun as screwing with the tourist golfers I bet. I got some curious looks last week at the scramble I played in with my old gauze taped Tommy Armour putter amongst the shiny Camerons and Odysseys etc. Got to show off a little bit. The 18th hole (our 12th) comes up by the clubhouse with a big porch so lots of folks were watching. It is a layup hole all of my partners were all over the place. I hit the stinger 3 iron off the tee to my range. Lots of folks were watching including a friend of mine who knows me well from way back in the day. We played my ball and I took a PW over the flag and spun it back. Someone asked my friend what I hit--- He told them more than likely some worn out beat to hell antique Macgregor. He asked me after one of my partners made the 1 ft putt. I told him the beat up part was right but they were beat to crap MP-68s--- He chuckled and said same difference. Grooves are good but a lot of dings and bag chatter----- Good gracious we have got to get together and play some old school golf and of course screw with the tourists and yuppies.