2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Rants and Raves...

Sorry for the delay, but, I was out working on the greenside bunkers before start of today's play. 1920ish Seth Raynor design that we are trying to resurrect to it's original intent.

So much I want to say, but, I can tell I would be on my soapbox, so, for now, I will just say,"Target Golf, what's the fun in that?"

That's certainly what I want to play. Sadly there are only a few courses like that in our area. I did play one of them on Thursday but the course conditions are/were disappointing. My wife and I are playing a different one we frequent tomorrow. I have played the Button Backs the last few times there but believe I'll take my Mizzies tomorrow. I honestly get a kick out of seeing the young athlete guys out on this course (Colony West Glades Tamarac FL) wielding State of The Art Equipment. LMAO! Hell, I have No Swing Speed and rarely drive the ball over 200 yards and I can overpower that course with my set of Ping G10's! Now because I know the course I can play successfully with them there but it's so much more fun and just as easy to play vintage. I wish there were more Target Golf Courses available to me. There was a neat one close to where we lived back in SW Wisconsin I loved. It had one of those narrow fairways lined solid with mature trees like have been pictured on a different thread. I've found nothing quite that challenging down here but Target Courses and Vintage clubs Were Made for Each Other! Me, I'll save the G10's for the Bomb and Gouge Courses... even though my version of that is more like Bunt and Slide. ;)

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Sorry for the delay, but, I was out working on the greenside bunkers before start of today's play. 1920ish Seth Raynor design that we are trying to resurrect to it's original intent.

So much I want to say, but, I can tell I would be on my soapbox, so, for now, I will just say,"Target Golf, what's the fun in that?"

That's certainly what I want to play. Sadly there are only a few courses like that in our area. I did play one of them on Thursday but the course conditions are/were disappointing. My wife and I are playing a different one we frequent tomorrow. I have played the Button Backs the last few times there but believe I'll take my Mizzies tomorrow. I honestly get a kick out of seeing the young athlete guys out on this course (Colony West Glades Tamarac FL) wielding State of The Art Equipment. LMAO! Hell, I have No Swing Speed and rarely drive the ball over 200 yards and I can overpower that course with my set of Ping G10's! Now because I know the course I can play successfully with them there but it's so much more fun and just as easy to play vintage. I wish there were more Target Golf Courses available to me. There was a neat one close to where we lived back in SW Wisconsin I loved. It had one of those narrow fairways lined solid with mature trees like have been pictured on a different thread. I've found nothing quite that challenging down here but Target Courses and Vintage clubs Were Made for Each Other! Me, I'll save the G10's for the Bomb and Gouge Courses... even though my version of that is more like Bunt and Slide. ;)

Gotta agree with you on that Tim (but then I tend to agree with you 99.99% of the time) The older designed courses are much more fun with the vintage equipment. As you say target thinking mans golf. Too bad there are not many left in my area today. Today we got a special invite to play one of the few courses I have not played over the years here on the Strand. World Tour Golf Links. I guess the semi modern stuff will be in the bag--- In fact that reminds me I need to change my signature. I had been experimenting some with more modern wedges in the front line bag but went back to my old trusty non conforming ones. Come to think of it LOL my front line clubs in most eyes are getting antique now after all they were made in 2013. Yep I am playing the forged CB Callys because no more than I am playing now I need all the forgiveness and help I can get

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Hopefully I didn’t come across bomb and gourge in my rant. Quite the opposite for my opinion and desires. The older established courses around me seem to be falling like tenpins, making way for housing developments and shopping complexes.

The ones still around are best played with the older gear, albeit now, for me, from a different teebox than in days gone by.

Gotta agree with you on that Tim (but then I tend to agree with you 99.99% of the time) The older designed courses are much more fun with the vintage equipment. As you say target thinking mans golf. Too bad there are not many left in my area today. Today we got a special invite to play one of the few courses I have not played over the years here on the Strand. World Tour Golf Links. I guess the semi modern stuff will be in the bag--- In fact that reminds me I need to change my signature. I had been experimenting some with more modern wedges in the front line bag but went back to my old trusty non conforming ones. Come to think of it LOL my front line clubs in most eyes are getting antique now after all they were made in 2013. Yep I am playing the forged CB Callys because no more than I am playing now I need all the forgiveness and help I can get

Stu, The loss of the old Target Golf courses is happening here as well and makes me sad. As I said there are still a few but outside of a couple fairly near by the rest are a drive. I guess that leaves me better off than many though.

Tell me about the Cally Forged. Are they becoming more affordable? Good forgiveness while retaining Feel? Available in at least a regular flex? I see most clubs like that are stiff only and I like a soft regular when possible. I need to find something that does the work of my Ping G10's that gives me more feel and that I can afford.

OSR, You didn't offend nor did you promote Bomb and Gouge. I simply went off on my own mini-rant. :good:

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

You have my attention.......quite the beautiful course, at least on Google Maps.

Which course are you referring to?

Another hole on my home course is being ruined. There is a house the other side of a small road right of the fairway, out of bounds, obviously. Twenty or so years ago when I played there as a kid, two people in the club could have made the front garden with a wide. Nowadays, pretty much every fifteen handicapper can fly it into the poor ba$%ards BACK garden.

It is a lovely old links course, but doesn't have any more land, beach along one side, then houses and roads inland. They are building banks and pulling the tee back (into the landing area of another hole!) as they have no other option.

Current technology, there just isn't enough room for eighteen holes any more. I wish they would have been more creative though. Some crazy deep cross-bunkers nobody could carry would make people hit three woods, rescues, whatever. Would still only be an eight iron or something in.

Whatever, I am sure there are more courses like this around. Someone will get hurt soon, or the people that live around the course will call their lawyers, because of a hard golfball and titanium woods!

Today's Rant!...

My range session today was so bad that I'm going to have to play my Ping G10's tomorrow!

Love Raynor and CB MacDonald Golf courses. My favorite...the only one west of the Mississippi, St. Louis Country Club. Fantastic, Fantastic golf course. Site of the '47 Open and several other big amateur events including the 2014 Curtis Cup.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

You have my attention.......quite the beautiful course, at least on Google Maps.

I am guessing Yeamans Hall Club, unless there is another Seth Raynor design in the Charleston area.

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/yeamans-hall-club

You are correct about Yeamans Hall, but, The County Club of Charleston is also a Raynor design.

I am guessing Yeamans Hall Club, unless there is another Seth Raynor design in the Charleston area.

https://www.golfdige...amans-hall-club

You are correct about Yeamans Hall, but, The County Club of Charleston is also a Raynor design.

Yes, I see that now. Missed that on my Wiki search.

Orlando is my second favorite city.

What’s your first favorite?

Anywhere else.

At the PGA Show again. Exhausted again.

40,000 people + all of us exhibiting and no toilet paper. No one at the convention center had the foresight to think about this. Must be their first convention? I think it’s a union job. You can tell the union employees here. They walk slower than sloths.

Paper towels were all gone from everyone using it.

Orlando is a bigger s-hole than some 3-world countries.

i asked the convention center help desk people about getting toilet paper in all of the bathrooms and they sighed and rolled their eyes because I interrupted them from playing with their phones.

I hate Orlando. Worst city in the world filled with the laziest people in the world.

At least no one smashed the windows of the car last night to steal everything like last year. I should be happy.

Did I tell you that I hate Orlando?

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

It was not always this way. 40 odd years ago I used to take a couple of days after a patrol cycle and R&R in downtown Orlando. An old school type hotel in the middle of town where I could relax and regroup. Within walking distance to a nice park where I would drink my morning coffee and read the newspaper while feeding the birds.

Orlando is my second favorite city.

What's your first favorite?

Anywhere else.

At the PGA Show again. Exhausted again.

40,000 people + all of us exhibiting and no toilet paper. No one at the convention center had the foresight to think about this. Must be their first convention? I think it's a union job. You can tell the union employees here. They walk slower than sloths.

Paper towels were all gone from everyone using it.

Orlando is a bigger s-hole than some 3-world countries.

i asked the convention center help desk people about getting toilet paper in all of the bathrooms and they sighed and rolled their eyes because I interrupted them from playing with their phones.

I hate Orlando. Worst city in the world filled with the laziest people in the world.

At least no one smashed the windows of the car last night to steal everything like last year. I should be happy.

Did I tell you that I hate Orlando?

I remember those days well from my time "in the bidness". My merchandise show game plan was always centered around how quickly I could get some business done and then get the hell out of town. I feel and have felt your pain.

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Ah, yes....the PGA Merchandise Show.

Remember, at one time, the "merchandise show" was nothing but sales reps showing things from the trunks of their cars in Dunedin, BITD.

How far we've come.

I guess each and every company has to have a big display to justify the outrageous prices they are getting for their merchandise.

AND....you would THINK that since many manufacturers are now going direct to the final end user/consumer/customer bypassing the traditional middle men - such as wholesalers, reps, and retail outlets...that their pricing would be somewhat more "friendly"

I told my wife, 19 years ago, exactly where the industry was headed...and, here we are.

Thank goodness I don't have to attend the merchandise show. The dozen free Titleist (or whatever it is that they are giving away) just aren't worth it.

now....GET OFF MY LAWN!

Remember, at one time, the "merchandise show" was nothing but sales reps showing things from the trunks of their cars in Dunedin, BITD.

How far we've come.

I guess each and every company has to have a big display to justify the outrageous prices they are getting for their merchandise.

AND....you would THINK that since many manufacturers are now going direct to the final end user/consumer/customer bypassing the traditional middle men - such as wholesalers, reps, and retail outlets...that their pricing would be somewhat more "friendly"

I told my wife, 19 years ago, exactly where the industry was headed...and, here we are.

Thank goodness I don't have to attend the merchandise show. The dozen free Titleist (or whatever it is that they are giving away) just aren't worth it.

now....GET OFF MY LAWN!

I can remember when they opened the first off course discount shop in Charlotte NC. It was called Pro Golf Discount. My old man said well that will be the death of the green grass pro shops and retired about a year later. And yes he was correct. But him being him he did raise hell at Ram ( he was a Ram staffer at the time) and he still had friends at Wilson and Macgregor. Of course it all fell on deaf ears.

Stu, The loss of the old Target Golf courses is happening here as well and makes me sad. As I said there are still a few but outside of a couple fairly near by the rest are a drive. I guess that leaves me better off than many though.

Tell me about the Cally Forged. Are they becoming more affordable? Good forgiveness while retaining Feel? Available in at least a regular flex? I see most clubs like that are stiff only and I like a soft regular when possible. I need to find something that does the work of my Ping G10's that gives me more feel and that I can afford.

OSR, You didn't offend nor did you promote Bomb and Gouge. I simply went off on my own mini-rant. :good:

I did a trade deal on mine and mine are not stock items they were Alex Cjeka's #4 back up set and trust me they have been tuned. Man they have a great feel I compare them in feel to a set of MP 33s. The way the weight is distributed the 5.5 PXI kick good for me and I do not have to push the issue. They also have that certain little click like a Mizuno does when you pure one. I have not checked prices on the bay lately but I would say they may come down since Cally introduced the 2018 forged. Another WRX member tested the 2018 ones and said they hit like his 2013 ones did. For me they are stupid easy to hit and are super forgiving. Now I have read some folks opinions that they are hard to hit. But like everything else in golf that is subjective

How far we've come.

now....GET OFF MY LAWN!

Augie,

Looks like..."MAFIA staff car, keepa you hands off"

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

How far we've come.

now....GET OFF MY LAWN!

Augie,

Looks like..."MAFIA staff car, keepa you hands off"

"Guido's collections .... we get results"

This is what needs to be done to address pace of play...

http://www.morningread.com/features/c954ca49-9ccf-42c5-b2fa-ad856063aa2c

This is what needs to be done to address pace of play...

http://www.morningre...fa-ad856063aa2c

More on this...

http://www.golfchannel.com/article/randall-mell/randalls-rant-how-stop-slow-play