Rants and Raves...

BBC golf coverage and reporting.

Either poor or non-existent.

Curtis Cup matches this weekend,no BBC coverage for a premier amateur event just a box on the web page with a link to the USGA website which was actually very good.

Leona Maguire,lovely Irish lass who had a stellar career as an amateur turned professional this week and made her debut in the LPGA Classic resulting in a T15 finish.

The sketchy BBC report did not even mention her name in the 'significant others' of those chasing the leaders.

Careless,lazy and ignorant.

Just putting the broader question of whether failing at accountancy is indeed a branch of failure, or rather something to celebrate.

One does wonder, however I suspect that you would get a different perspective from a successful accountant than a failed one. My accountant shared with me recently that he has no intention of retiring as he is having too much fun! It's just so easy, he said!

I'm not sure what it is about the profession that he finds so appealing, but there must be something that tweaks his own personal sensibilities...

Accountant chiming in....

I can understand the comment from your accountant. Accounting isn't particularly difficult. When you boil it away to it's base level, it really is fairly easy. A fair portion of it is little more than following rules set forth.

When you get more involved, it can be arcane, but that's another story. :)

This discounts the tax aspect here in the USA. I'll just ignore that for this post. LOL

Because of the left brain, follow the rules, nature, the profession seems to draw some drier personality types. Not everyone fits that description, but they're the ones people remember. Which is fine, it gave me quite a bit of entertainment a couple decades ago. I used to have a full beard and hair down to my elbow, and I'm something of a silly bastxxx; people would be shocked when they find out what I do for a living.

I found it funny, but I spent my formative years watching Monty Python's Flying Circus syndicated broadcasts on public television. It may explain a few things. :pimp:

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I would think that both accountants and engineers share a lot of traits. In the town I live in our University has one of the best engineering schools in the country, also has a pretty good business school. Lots of my friends over the years were one or the other, and none of them were boring, meticulous but not boring.

US Open coming up...

Question: How long before the best talents in golf start whining about how tough and unfair the course layout / conditions are?

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

US Open coming up...

Question: How long before the best talents in golf start whining about how tough and unfair the course layout / conditions are?

Yesterday...

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Rant!

Last season my golf partner was interested in buying my modern clubs. Said he didn't like them and returned them. I put them away without looking at them. Pulled them out tonight and was appalled. Not cleaned, looked like they were used to hit gravel. Now they are unsaleable. Can't believe a friend would do that. Lesson learned: no trial before buying and no loaning clubs for me again. #angrygolfer

End of rant!

US Open coming up...

MAYBE 5 minutes if that---- That is why I put maybe in all caps

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Rant!

Last season my golf partner was interested in buying my modern clubs. Said he didn't like them and returned them. I put them away without looking at them. Pulled them out tonight and was appalled. Not cleaned, looked like they were used to hit gravel. Now they are unsaleable. Can't believe a friend would do that. Lesson learned: no trial before buying and no loaning clubs for me again. #angrygolfer

End of rant!

That is really a shame to be done like that---- On a bright note though I like where you have the lead tape on the Power Bilt driver in your avatar---- Yep you know what you are doing

If we all were "cut from the same cloth" although, uniformity would be achieved, it would be a very dull and dreary universe indeed.

Believe it or not some folks say I am dull or that we live a dull life---- I go to work ,play golf , get on here and go to church. We don't drink or go out to drink etc. In the non tourist season we do go out to eat on Saturday or Sunday nights. I do not keep up with any sports not even racing anymore. I do piddle in the shop with my old golf clubs some

Darn it, Did I keep running into the same idiot on different golf courses or is this is the new trend ?

Loud music on the golf course..... his Ma Ma did not teach him the etiquette when he was little. I hate hearing the music on the golf course. I golf because I want to get away from the other stuff in life, not to bring them to the golf course with me for 4 hours.

Young guy, in his twenties, riding golf cart, loud music........hate this.

I might have to find his facebook page ( pretty sure he'll have at least one " just so I'll know where he'd be golfing next . I'll avoid that golf course when he is on it.

What is funny as much as I have heard about music on the golf course on here and other golf forums I have never seen or heard it here. You would think here in this tourist mecca with folks from all parts of the USA and Canada coming down here you would see or correctly hear it. I have never seen any posted rules here at any course on it. Have seen some drunk rowdy groups especially wedding parties but never any music

If we all were "cut from the same cloth" although, uniformity would be achieved, it would be a very dull and dreary universe indeed.

Believe it or not some folks say I am dull or that we live a dull life---- I go to work ,play golf , get on here and go to church. We don't drink or go out to drink etc. In the non tourist season we do go out to eat on Saturday or Sunday nights. I do not keep up with any sports not even racing anymore. I do piddle in the shop with my old golf clubs some

I may be even more boring. Work, play golf, go to lake getaway place many weekends. Don't drink, don't smoke, never have.

It added to the amusement factor I mentioned earlier. People have a hard time accepting a long haired, metalhead with no alcohol or recreational compound habit. LOL

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

I may be even more boring. Work, play golf, go to lake getaway place many weekends. Don't drink, don't smoke, never have.

It added to the amusement factor I mentioned earlier. People have a hard time accepting a long haired, metalhead with no alcohol or recreational compound habit. LOL

I sorta went through the same thing as you on that my last 5 years of riding Harleys.

I can remember one night my wife and I went out to eat down in the inlet. We were riding my rat Shovelhead Harley. Georgetown County had a license check on the way back. Of course I still had a ponytail. I presented license registration and proof of insurance. This wet behind the ears cop asked me how much I had to drink. I told him nothing I did not drink anymore (note here I never drank even in my drinking days and rode a motorcycle). He said aw come on now. I told him no BS and offered to take a roadside test. I also added that just because I had long hair and rode a Harley did not mean I drank. He threatened to arrest me for being a smart a**. I told him go ahead and I will own you and this county. He let me go. I called a buddy of mine who is a cop in my county and talked to him. He told me what to do. Because I had demanded his name and badge number and the jerk had gave me his card. As my friend told me to do I went straight to his department and filed a complaint. He got a reprimand and a couple of days off and had to apologize to me and my wife. A few months he got into a bunch of trouble doing the profile thing on the wrong folks. The county got the crap sued out of them and he lost his job.

Not to be misconstrued I have the utmost respect for law enforcement. In fact I have worked with them both when I ran the wreckers and as a volunteer fireman and I have a lot of cop friends here. But I am not going to be pushed around

Davis: Windy forecast forces a few setup 'audibles'

Well, That didn't take long...

https://www.golfchan...sdayNL_20180614

"SOUTHAMPTON, N.Y. – A daunting first-round forecast has already caused USGA setup man Mike Davis to alter his strategy. Players could face wind gusts up to 30 mph during the opening round here at the U.S. Open. “I can’t remember going around making so many audibles from the original game plan,” Davis said Wednesday at Shinnecock Hills. The strong winds are the biggest factor, but Davis said that he needs to be particularly “mindful” of some hole locations and tee markers based on the changing conditions."

Well, I talked to God and reminded him that he didn't want to upset the players, especially Tiger. So he has promised to settle the wind down. That's good because you don't want to p_ss Tiger off.

Phil has already done some whining as well but we really don't care. It's only Phil.

We also plan to move the hole locations for Tiger before he hits on. (Preferably to the middle of the green and in a little valley area when possible.) The holes will then be moved back to extreme locations after Tiger finishes putting as we want to keep things fair and challenging.

Any players that whine about that will be penalized 6 strokes. ;)

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

I always thought that the rules of golf stated that;

'A player shall play without delay.'

Obviously this does not apply to the best players in the World.

2hrs 45mins to play 9-holes,are they paid on results or on an hourly rate by the advertisers?

Not to mention schoolboy errors like uphill putts left woefully short and an apparent inability to hit anything other than a full shot relying on spin to control the ball then looking surprised when it doesn't spin and rolls into trouble.

Who said you had to hit the green in two on a par 4?

Two layups in the fairway,a chip and a putt make 4,not many are made from out of the hay.

Will TM be asking McIlroy for a refund?

I particularly enjoyed it as our Chairman of Greens now has our course set up with fairways LESS than 20 yards wide with large areas of semi-rough encroaching in wavey patterns for 'definition'.

The fairway 70 yards short of the 11th green is 11 paces wide!

Has the World gone mad?

Welcoming the 1st day of Summer in The Lowcountry...

99 F with a 114 heat index predicted...

It was Hot when I played here yesterday...

but not that hot.

Humidity is what kills me.

If you play in that you really have to work to stay hydrated and seek out the shade at every opportunity.

Welcoming the 1st day of Summer in The Lowcountry...

99 F with a 114 heat index predicted...

We had something like that here in MN over Memorial Day weekend. Hit triple digits.

What made it stranger was that only six weeks earlier, we'd gotten 22" of snow.

• 2 weeks later...

Rant:

https://www.mensheal...mp_tf=From %1$s

Talk about fake news! $350 per club??!!?!

Good grief! That's more than my entire set of custom hybrids! Oh brother...

A fool and his money...

Well, the unimaginable has happened. I have flooded again. Third time in 4 years. Just got the house squared away from last August Hurricane.

So first we had the thousand year rain, next was Hurricane Harvey, and today the most torrential rain I have seen in my 64 years on this earth.

Water rose so high and fast a fire engine couldn’t get through the neighborhood.

Old Man Mini-Rant:

"Tour Issue", MY a**

Cobra F9 Driver 10.5 UST ProForce V2 HL 5F4 46"

Tour Edge Exotic EXS 220 16.5* UST ProForce V2 HL 6F4 44"

Cobra Amp Cell 5-7 fairway (set to 20*) Fujikura Fuel 60g S 43"

Maltby TS3 4-P Elevate MPH 95 +1"

Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 50*, 54* & 58* Apollo Matchflex Wedge 36.25"

Cleveland Classic Collection #10 35"

Well, the unimaginable has happened. I have flooded again. Third time in 4 years. Just got the house squared away from last August Hurricane.

So first we had the thousand year rain, next was Hurricane Harvey, and today the most torrential rain I have seen in my 64 years on this earth.

Water rose so high and fast a fire engine couldn't get through the neighborhood.

OH Crap I did not know you guys even got rain yesterday. We have not gotten a drop except for maybe a stray 5 minute summer shower in the last 3 weeks. So you are still in James Island I thought you were going to move up towards Santee. Let me know if I can help

Old Man Mini-Rant:

"Tour Issue", MY a**

ROTFLMAO!! my sentiments exactly. For me it is more like " Scrapyard issue" . We played in a scramble yesterday to benefit a family I know. All of the old gang was together. Someone remarked "You outta see that beat up POS putter Stuey has" One of the guys remarked " Aw hell it is probably something he picked up in that scrapyard he works at". My old GM/Pro was one of my partners. He told someone I was the only person he had ever seen that could pick up a club off a scrap pile change the grip or tape the grip on it and actually play with it. Yeah "Tour Issue" MY a** :taunt: Yeah that old scrapyard putter ran in 6 birdies yesterday. Finished 3 out of 20 something teams. Main thing won all our side bets but one and broke even on that.

Water rose so high and fast a fire engine couldn't get through the neighborhood.

Sorry to hear that. We've had record breaking rains here as well, and while we were fine because we're on high ground, there are a lot of people a lot less fortunate. So far, the death count in Japan is 70, with 68 unaccounted for. It was almost a year to the day that the area in the south of the prefecture was hit with widespread flooding, but the rains this year have hit about half the country.

The rains also came two days after a typhoon passed by. That didn't damage us too much, but Nagasaki got hit quite badly.