2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Rants and Raves...

Watching golf channel and just saw a commercial for the GolfLogix app with green reading technology. So here's advanced warning for my golf partners. First one of you to whip out your phone on the putting green is going to catch a putter head right between the eyes. You're welcome...and you're still away.

Hope you hit the phone first....

Watching golf channel and just saw a commercial for the GolfLogix app with green reading technology. So here's advanced warning for my golf partners. First one of you to whip out your phone on the putting green is going to catch a putter head right between the eyes. You're welcome...and you're still away.

Wonder when that is going to become a moot thing. The USGA is talking about banning green reading books. That is the smartest thing that has came from them in the last 15 years. Yeah that app in the hands of Joe golfer is going to slow play even more. One warning do not bend up a perfectly good classic putter hitting that hardheaded SOB between the eyes

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

I play ready golf so it won't effect me much. If I'm 'ready' and you're still F'n around on the green I hope you can run fast enough to catch the cart before I tee off on the next hole.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

I'm rapidly approaching the same mindset Tim,despite being a stickler for rules and etiquette I'm losing patience with the way people fart around on the golf course.

I played in a Seniors' open competition yesterday which took 5 hours to complete.

I was actually pleased that I manged to stay interested and played pretty well including a couple of birdies but the real drainer was that the other pair were sharing a buggy and almost inevitably their tee shots finished on opposite sides of the fairway so we were going through that scenario of player A going to find his ball,playing then going to find player B's ball and the repeated yardage check,club selection etc.,etc.,while we stood waiting.

It can be dangerous to play ready golf if people are not attentive when hitting approach shots but on or around the green I agree that if you're ready you should be able to putt out without delay.

After all,we're not getting any younger,time is precious...

When the kids go back to school and the weather gets a bit cooler here in Minnesota, my usual Friday afternoon round can turn fairly pleasant. We can find ourselves cruising through in 3 to 3.5 hours. It's quite lovely.

During the summers, not so much.

That said, I had a surprising experience this past Friday. We had a threesome, were following a small scramble event. This group of 40 to 50 players apparently had a bit of a clue, we played the front in 1.45, and we're under 4 hrs for the entire round, including the time taken for the clubhouse stop at the turn.

Too bad it's not always like that

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

• 3 weeks later...

Should golf clubs still require dress codes?

https://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/should-golf-clubs-still-require-dress-codes?utm_source=GA&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=Emailaug27

We have a Semi-Private Executive Course here on the Boca Delray border that requires not only tailored pants or shorts with a collared Polo but also that your Polo shirt Must Be Tucked In! No, I'm not kidding. Not really a big deal but truly stupid none the less. They wanted to fuss at me last winter because I came out once wearing very nice styled brand name warm-up style pants. Now I'm handicapped and my knee braces do not fit under normal styled trousers. The front desk got the Manager to back off, which probably saved him from a punch in the nose or at least a very nasty scene. I don't suffer fools gladly at this point in my life.

IMO: No Jeans, Collared Shirt, nice pants or shorts. Don't give a flying %&@%$! what sock color you wear.

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Fer use guys that like lead tape go check out Matt Dobbins WITB. One of the club pros that seems to always make the PGA Championship.

Enough lead on some of those sticks to make Stu and Augie giddy.

Where did you see it at? I did the research thing and the only thing it showed was a link to this post

Fer use guys that like lead tape go check out Matt Dobbins WITB. One of the club pros that seems to always make the PGA Championship.

Where did you see it at? I did the research thing and the only thing it showed was a link to this post

It would only be a guess, but probably Greg's WITB done prior to the PGA Championship.

BTW - lost track of my balata ball, but found them again this week.

Let's do this thing! Randy's got a new gig, so he probably has a bit more time to play now, but I'm just guessing

Should golf clubs still require dress codes?

https://www.golfadvi...aign=Emailaug27

We have a Semi-Private Executive Course here on the Boca Delray border that requires not only tailored pants or shorts with a collared Polo but also that your Polo shirt Must Be Tucked In! No, I'm not kidding. Not really a big deal but truly stupid none the less. They wanted to fuss at me last winter because I came out once wearing very nice styled brand name warm-up style pants. Now I'm handicapped and my knee braces do not fit under normal styled trousers. The front desk got the Manager to back off, which probably saved him from a punch in the nose or at least a very nasty scene. I don't suffer fools gladly at this point in my life.

IMO: No Jeans, Collared Shirt, nice pants or shorts. Don't give a flying %&@%$! what sock color you wear.

They better be glad the front desk got them to back off or you could have filed a law suit under the Americans With Disabilities Act. That would have been a Federal suit too. And from what I have read the Federal Court system does not take too kindly to a**hats messing around with folks with disabilities. I know a few years back one course here settled out of court because they gave a guy a bunch of crap over him wanting a handicapped flag and due to his medication had to carry water in a cooler with ice along with his meds. I heard it was in the neighborhood of 350K plus court costs and legal fees.

It would only be a guess, but probably Greg's WITB done prior to the PGA Championship.

Let's do this thing! Randy's got a new gig, so he probably has a bit more time to play now, but I'm just guessing

Where are you at now back in the Wilmington area? I am off next week and Randy and I may be getting together. I have a set of 74 Wilson Staffs 2 thru PW I am going to give him. Even though I am not a Wilson man (except for wedges) when I saw those in the bin I had to save them and I had him in mind when I did so. They are about I would say a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10 but they were too nice to be destroyed at the shredder and a complete set too to boot. Don't worry about Balata balls I have plenty including 3 brand new in the sleeve Palmer Balatas that Scooter sent me a couple of years back.

Where are you at now back in the Wilmington area? I am off next week and Randy and I may be getting together. I have a set of 74 Wilson Staffs 2 thru PW I am going to give him. Even though I am not a Wilson man (except for wedges) when I saw those in the bin I had to save them and I had him in mind when I did so. They are about I would say a 7 on a scale of 1 to 10 but they were too nice to be destroyed at the shredder and a complete set too to boot. Don't worry about Balata balls I have plenty including 3 brand new in the sleeve Palmer Balatas that Scooter sent me a couple of years back.

I am back in Wilmington, but next week, I already have 2 days "booked" for Drs and such. But, maybe towards the end of the week, we might get together.

Playing all my old balatas will be good for memories. Back when I was a caddy, I always played cut up Titleists, because no one else wanted them. Didn't matter much to me...they were free, and flew OB or into water just about as good as brand new ones!

Slow play rears its ugly head again. Played medal on Thurs. 3 hours 15 mins and one of our 3 ball was spraying it. Yesterday 4 hours 5 minutes. Ex club champ and legendary snail three groups in front. His response when the following group mentioned it was slow was "f&*k o$%..I play at my own pace". No point in complaining as chair of comps daughter works for his wife. His son is even slower...people now avoid playing with him or behind him. The problem won't go away with committees who have no balls.

Slow is, well, slow. I can live with that. Twilight rounds, I can get around the course in just over a couple of hours with no traffic, but up to 4 hours on a weekend in good company isn't a hardship I can't bear. However, contempt for the people behind is the thing that grinds.

How hard would it be to get a (re)statement out from the club that once a group loses loses a clear hole to the group in front, the group behind must be invited through?

Slow is, well, slow. I can live with that. Twilight rounds, I can get around the course in just over a couple of hours with no traffic, but up to 4 hours on a weekend in good company isn't a hardship I can't bear. However, contempt for the people behind is the thing that grinds.

How hard would it be to get a (re)statement out from the club that once a group loses loses a clear hole to the group in front, the group behind must be invited through?

Exactly!

No Marshal on course yesterday. Our Threesome was pushing a Twosome that was barely keeping contact with the Twosome in front of them... who had no one in front of them!

Now here's the kicker. Our Threesome was caught by a single on 7 and we invited him to join us as we were obviously going no where fast and he had no way around either. He joins us (nice guy) and off we go. One hole latter and, you guessed it, we re-caught the Twosome in front of us and stayed on their @ss the rest of the round as a Foursome! There is No Way in H_ll that a Foursome should be able to push a Twosome like that! *$^&%+$^%!!!

I found this interesting.

You may too...

Does Wedge Bounce Affect Performance? – Golf Myths Unplugged

https://pluggedingolf.com/does-wedge-bounce-affect-performance-golf-myths-unplugged/

Slow play rears its ugly head again. Played medal on Thurs. 3 hours 15 mins and one of our 3 ball was spraying it. Yesterday 4 hours 5 minutes. Ex club champ and legendary snail three groups in front. His response when the following group mentioned it was slow was "f&*k o$%..I play at my own pace". No point in complaining as chair of comps daughter works for his wife. His son is even slower...people now avoid playing with him or behind him. The problem won't go away with committees who have no balls.

I empathise; at that pace they could wave a group through without noticing but there seems to be an idea that it's somehow unmanly to so do.

I will not play in medal or any white tee competitions now because of the time involved,this is due to several factors such as the use of dmd's,leaving a trolley in front of the green,not playing a provisional ball immediately and worse than all of these,the idiots who have 'improved' the course by stretching the tees away from the line of play which means walking in some cases an extra 60 yards backwards whereas the original tees were close to the green just completed.

Medal is never less than 4-4 1/2 hours,5 hours is not unheard of and I was told yesterday that on Monday,an open competition played in fourballs,rounds were taking 5 1/2 hours!

Totally agree about committees,too many old pals,too many hidden agendas,too many empire-builders who all respond to criticism by suggesting that you serve on the committee,knowing full well that they will piss you off enough to cause your resignation.

Watching YouTube the other night I found a couple of hilarious golfing clips with WC Fields and then noticed a new Sir Nick Faldo testing Mizuno irons clip.

Maybe I misheard but the oily techie who was waffling on about 'numbers' mentioned a 7-iron with 30 degrees of loft.

I registered my disapproval to be told that it was all down to ball flight,spin,soft landing,blah blah.

So apparently this is not a high launching 5-iron but a genuine 7-iron,presumably the pitching wedge will be about 41 degrees allowing plenty of scope for extra wedges to fill the gaps.

I was pleased to be corrected,I can see now I was being cynical.........

Amazing how renumbering and renaming irons has "modernized" them isn't it?

I'm sure that the work involved in doing that more than justifies the tripling of prices.

I found this interesting.

You may too...

Does Wedge Bounce Affect Performance? – Golf Myths Unplugged

https://pluggedingol...yths-unplugged/

Indeed! Interesting results and such variation amongst both participants and shot type.

I always figured that the whole bounce and grind business was a bit over stated for all but the best players, but apparently there are measurable differences in terms of proximity to the hole. More fuel to the fire in favour of custom fitting for $200 wedges...

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Watching YouTube the other night I found a couple of hilarious golfing clips with WC Fields and then noticed a new Sir Nick Faldo testing Mizuno irons clip.

Maybe I misheard but the oily techie who was waffling on about 'numbers' mentioned a 7-iron with 30 degrees of loft.

I registered my disapproval to be told that it was all down to ball flight,spin,soft landing,blah blah.

So apparently this is not a high launching 5-iron but a genuine 7-iron,presumably the pitching wedge will be about 41 degrees allowing plenty of scope for extra wedges to fill the gaps.

I was pleased to be corrected,I can see now I was being cynical.........

The WC Fields clip is titled 'Fields as he should be' uploaded by stephenaltobello.

Sorry but external link would not work.

Wonder when that is going to become a moot thing. The USGA is talking about banning green reading books. That is the smartest thing that has came from them in the last 15 years. Yeah that app in the hands of Joe golfer is going to slow play even more. One warning do not bend up a perfectly good classic putter hitting that hardheaded SOB between the eyes

totaly agree BIG STU !!!!!

Countdown for Augusta!!!

Now they're going to take our Cart Girls away!?!

https://www.golfadvisor.com/articles/drone-beverage-cart-on-golf-course?utm_source=GA&utm_medium=Newsletter&utm_campaign=Emailsept10

The only big positive I see here is having a new target.

I don't believe for a minute that it will speed up the game. All it's going to do is lose a job for someone.

Now they're going to take our Cart Girls away!?!

https://www.golfadvi...ign=Emailsept10

The only big positive I see here is having a new target.

I don't believe for a minute that it will speed up the game. All it's going to do is lose a job for someone.

Yeah, dumb idea. There is already too much tech on the course imo. My Sunday playing partner takes forever to enter his score in his phone and look at the screen to see how far away he is before he skulls his PW. Can't imaging how long it would take him to order by drone. I did buy one of those digital yardage dohickeys this year and do find it helpful, but I only for a quick glance to confirm club selection. My regular Saturday sunrise course this season has no cart period. It's byob. When I have encountered cart girls this summer I have usually had to flag them down. I must be not be the right demographic. Can't imagine seeing a drone, but I can imagine aiming for it with my high ball flight or that gap wedge that irritates me occasionally.

Those of you that have an "In" with your area's Golf Course Management should consider passing this along as we are lossing far too many courses every year...

http://www.morningread.com/features/5e08dfe9-704a-4af6-972f-3d322237ee94