2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Rants and Raves...

Must have been something in the air yesterday I guess. I went out solo on what looked like a practically empty course as they are putting new greens in on the back 9 and you play the front then have to cross the street to their other course that is spread out due to new development and they've saved 9 holes of the original 18 over there. So, I see no one around as I take my time getting ice and water and sorting out my bag. Washed several balls before teeing off on 1. After S-ing my 1st drive attempt I settled down and par the par 5, not counting the unfortunate opening incident. ;) So, turn the corner and there is a foursome just short of the green on 2. Played 2 balls and stayed on their @sses without hitting into them clear through the front 9. They did a fabulous job of pretending I didn't exist. At least there was no loud swearing and they did move along for a foursome... but Come On! Empty Course in front of them and they can't let the single play through? F'n Rude I say! Thank God they either left after 9 or replayed the front 9 because once I crossed the street to the other course I didn't see them again and I know that wasn't due to their speed.

Remember Kids, Real Golfers let Faster Golfers Play Through.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Must have been something in the air yesterday I guess. I went out solo on what looked like a practically empty course as they are putting new greens in on the back 9 and you play the front then have to cross the street to their other course that is spread out due to new development and they've saved 9 holes of the original 18 over there. So, I see no one around as I take my time getting ice and water and sorting out my bag. Washed several balls before teeing off on 1. After S-ing my 1st drive attempt I settled down and par the par 5, not counting the unfortunate opening incident. ;) So, turn the corner and there is a foursome just short of the green on 2. Played 2 balls and stayed on their @sses without hitting into them clear through the front 9. They did a fabulous job of pretending I didn't exist. At least there was no loud swearing and they did move along for a foursome... but Come On! Empty Course in front of them and they can't let the single play through? F'n Rude I say! Thank God they either left after 9 or replayed the front 9 because once I crossed the street to the other course I didn't see them again and I know that wasn't due to their speed.

I've been playing mostly solo for a number of years. It's amazing how no one "sees" a solo. I had routine situations where foursomes take 5 minutes or so carding scores or talking on the finished green, ignoring that I'm in the middle of the fairway waiting on them.

I try to lag farther behind to eliminate the building anger, but people are jerks.

If I get ignored I just skip around them if there's empty holes in front of them.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

Rant: Looks like it is officially the off season in Wisconsin now, at least where I live. Fall rains will not let up, and temps are too far below normal (with high winds) to play. The weather dudes are starting to use "wind chill" and get positively giddy when snow shows up on the radar.

We are close to peak with the fall colors too, which bums me out. The golf courses in my area are absolutely beautiful this time of year. Any future outings will be an anomaly now. The clubs and other gear are going into storage this weekend, except for one minimalist set I will keep at the ready.

It's time to change focus, catch up on the remodeling project I pushed the pause button one earlier this summer, and figure out which golf book I am going to be slow reading this winter. The bright spot is a planned trip to Florida and the hope that I get out at least twice during vacation to experience Florida golf with our son.

Sigh.....

End of Rant

P.S. Baloo: Still holding out hope for one more warm Saturday outing.

Here in the UK we are experiencing the usual weather cycle; warm sunny days from Monday to Thursday, followed by three days of high winds and rain. Autumn can be a beautiful season, but it comes at a cost. My local course has lots of poplar trees which drop billions of silvery white leaves, making location of a regular golf ball nigh on impossible. I've tried yellow, orange and pink ones and they don't work either, as the rest of the trees between them drop leaves matching all known golf ball colours.

Two weeks ago I hit two perfectly serviceable tee shots on the first (175 yards par three) and found neither.

Nothing worse than losing a ball in the middle of the fairway. That's a typical occurrence around these parts where balls will plug a literally vanish from sight! Quite similar to the hide and go seek that many golfers experience in the Autumn.

At my course many of the poplars have been cut down as they were becoming problematic after 40 years due to breakage in high winds. The Emerald Ash Borer has looked after a lot of the other deciduous trees on the property. Almost all of the replantings have featured evergreens as they are lower maintenance and the need for rapidly growing trees has diminished with the more mature landscape.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

The thing in the rules about a single not having standing was eliminated a few years ago.

It’s always fun when someone tries to bring it up that a single has no standing and you can tell them that if you’re going to quote a rule, you should know what the heck you’re talking about.

But it’s 2018 and not too many people anymore know what they’re talking about. Except for this part of GolfWRX, of course... :)

Remember when the saying was to never trust anyone over 30? Now it’s never trust anyone under 40. :)

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key

I should actually look in the mirror and give myself a good talking to for allowing it to annoy me but last night I was watching highlights of the LPGA Hana Bank championship and was afterwards drawn to watch a new clip from a bloke I had seen on UK Golf Vlogs and also the dreaded Rick Shiels.

The guy is called Rob Potter,he appears on Shiels videos as your typical 13 handicapper who does occasional club testing to get the layman's perspective.

Last night his (Potter's) video was unpacking his new golf bag,made to his own design (!) by a custom bag maker in Australia,a black bag with all his details,name,twitter and website emblazoned in red but with the lettering reversed (?) an incredible monument to bad taste that he confessed amounted to around £400 !

If he had a great personality,was witty,funny and lively,I could possibly understand why he thinks he's such an attraction but he's not!

A northern monotone drone and his golf is the same.

He has had lessons with Rick Shiels who was,until he shot 41 over par for three rounds of a pro-am,the greatest golfer heard on YouTube!

Maybe he got a refund off Shiels to help pay for the bag!

But he's not alone,there's another called teeuplo who managed to make a course vlog at North Berwick into a cure for insomnia.

Then there's Big Oggie.......fat bloke with a ponytail.

The amazing thing is that they all think they're great!

Crossfield is another with his lazy speech,talking of 'Jordan Speef','can't be bovvered',no,not a speech defect or impediment the bloke is a tool yet has a following who try to emulate his phraseology and usage 'great video bruh'.

I'm off to Argos tomorrow for a camera on a stick.....

BALOO

You are exempt from the rant!

The thing in the rules about a single not having standing was eliminated a few years ago.

It's always fun when someone tries to bring it up that a single has no standing and you can tell them that if you're going to quote a rule, you should know what the heck you're talking about.

But it's 2018 and not too many people anymore know what they're talking about. Except for this part of GolfWRX, of course... :)

Remember when the saying was to never trust anyone over 30? Now it's never trust anyone under 40. :)

Hey, my friend.....I really don't trust anyone but you and me....and, I'm not really sure about you.....

Tiger can no longer compete... against a 10 year old.

Pretty sure he's done. I honestly hope so. Tiger, retire from playing.

Just saw this. lol. Greatest comeback in sporting history. :D

No other sport or game allows anybody not directly involved to call, write, text or email any rules official about a potential infraction.

Not true. You can call the governing drug testing body for any sport and provide them with information and they will act upon it, and that has in fact been done many times. Zero drug suspensions in history happened during the event, it's not how it works. At any rate every other sport allows it. :)

That should be in the rules as required signage on every tee box in America. Make Golf Fast Again!

Good luck with that !

I don't see drivers on the passing lane yield to faster drivers. They are the tax payers so they have the right to do what they think is proper.

Never mind about the driver's pamphlet for driver's license test stated to yield to faster vehicles regardless of the speed limit.

So, I don't think the rules in the rule books will do anything. If there is a way to throw the slow players off the golf course if they don;t yield to faster groups...... which I don;t think it's going to happen in this country, they'll use legal action to defend their right as a paying customer.

I should actually look in the mirror and give myself a good talking to for allowing it to annoy me but last night I was watching highlights of the LPGA Hana Bank championship and was afterwards drawn to watch a new clip from a bloke I had seen on UK Golf Vlogs and also the dreaded Rick Shiels.

The guy is called Rob Potter,he appears on Shiels videos as your typical 13 handicapper who does occasional club testing to get the layman's perspective.

Last night his (Potter's) video was unpacking his new golf bag,made to his own design (!) by a custom bag maker in Australia,a black bag with all his details,name,twitter and website emblazoned in red but with the lettering reversed (?) an incredible monument to bad taste that he confessed amounted to around £400 !

If he had a great personality,was witty,funny and lively,I could possibly understand why he thinks he's such an attraction but he's not!

He has had lessons with Rick Shiels who was,until he shot 41 over par for three rounds of a pro-am,the greatest golfer heard on YouTube!

But he's not alone,there's another called teeuplo who managed to make a course vlog at North Berwick into a cure for insomnia.

Crossfield is another with his lazy speech,talking of 'Jordan Speef','can't be bovvered',no,not a speech defect or impediment the bloke is a tool yet has a following who try to emulate his phraseology and usage 'great video bruh'.

BALOO

They will think they're great only if someone else watch their video.

I'd ignore the likes and they will fade away.

BALOO

They will think they're great only if someone else watch their video.

I'd ignore the likes and they will fade away.

Wow...

What a self centered tool! I thought Shiels was bad, but this takes the cake!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Translation: We had to make things easier for the whinny Bomb and Gougers...

https://www.golfchan...sdayNL_20181016

I wouldn't be too quick to jump to conclusions because I've seen the same sort of thing go on, to a lesser degree though, at the nine hole course I worked at. The current MO seems to favour cutting of trees at physiological maturity and then replacing them with young trees in order to reduce maintenance costs and improve turf conditions generally. You can't blame that on the bomb & gouge brigade because the course clientele are more bunt & duffer type.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I wouldn't be too quick to jump to conclusions because I've seen the same sort of thing go on, to a lesser degree though, at the nine hole course I worked at. The current MO seems to favour cutting of trees at physiological maturity and then replacing them with young trees in order to reduce maintenance costs and improve turf conditions generally. You can't blame that on the bomb & gouge brigade because the course clientele are more bunt & duffer type.

They did that here at one of the courses I used to play. Had beautiful tree lined fairways and a pond that was built to resemble 12 (I think) at Augusta. When they cut down those trees, there was quite the howl from some quarters. Claims of ruining the course.

But what the new owner explained was that the leaves were clogging the pumps making them fail and increasing his cost. Something had to give. But as my partner explained, now the trees are the size they were when he started playing there, in about 1960. So it's a necessary cycle.

If they ever cut down the tree on # 5 on the home course, (the only tree in play on the whole nine) I fully expect a bunker to appear just past where the old tree is standing now. It's a perfect aiming point, and actually kind of fun to see if you ca hit it over the tree, or how lucky you get when your ball miraculously makes it thru the canopy unscathed.

I always thought that hole, a dogleg right, would make the prefect hole for some church pew style bunkers at the "elbow" of the hole, where the tree now stands. There would be a lot of cussing tho...

I guess most of the rants were caused by the increased population. the percentage of the mishaps in life stayed pretty much the same but because of more people = more incidence given everything the status quo.

Had always knew that we will not cope with living in a densely populated environment as well as those in other parts of the world whom had no choice.

RANT!!!

For all the Talk (and that appears to be all it is) that we need to speed up the game all I see is more bullxxxx causing it to slow down.

No, your Laser Scope that you have to shoot 3 times before choosing your club, and then changing your mind and walking back to change it again, Is Not Speeding up the Game! Hint, If you don't have a good idea of which club you need by the time you get beside your ball it probably doesn't matter!

No, Your Green Reading Book or Device is not speeding up the game! Neither is your attempt to become Spiderman or to Plumb Bob your putt 10 times! Hint, If you can't squat or plumb bob once and have a good idea of the line you're probably going to 3 putt anyway!

My observations tell me that the more F'n around you do the crapper the golfer you probably are.

P.S. Those 10 practice swings you take before slicing, hooking, or sh_nking it don't seem to be helping!

RANT!!!

For all the Talk (and that appears to be all it is) that we need to speed up the game all I see is more bullxxxx causing it to slow down.

No, your Laser Scope that you have to shoot 3 times before choosing your club, and then changing your mind and walking back to change it again, Is Not Speeding up the Game! Hint, If you don't have a good idea of which club you need by the time you get beside your ball it probably doesn't matter!

No, Your Green Reading Book or Device is not speeding up the game! Neither is your attempt to become Spiderman or to Plumb Bob your putt 10 times! Hint, If you can't squat or plumb bob once and have a good idea of the line you're probably going to 3 putt anyway!

My observations tell me that the more F'n around you do the crapper the golfer you probably are.

P.S. Those 10 practice swings you take before slicing, hooking, or sh_nking it don't seem to be helping!

Agree completely. I think it would help if people approached the game in a more reactive, reflexive sense instead of a robotic, position-driven, mechanical one. Ideally you'd walk up to your ball with club already in hand, take a quick look at the lie of the land, and hit it. Obviously if playing with others you'd have to pause while they take their shot, but if everyone adopted the same approach it wouldn't be too onerous. There'd be howls from the technicians who wheel their motorised monstrosities filled with rangefinders, yardage books and alignment sticks around the course and plot every shot as though it was a broadside to an enemy ship, but they'd probably score as well or better if they stopped thinking about it so much and started allowing natural instincts to take over.

In my experience, the more time a golfer takes to assess the exact distance, wind speed/direction and required trajectory of a shot, the more likely he is to top, duff or shank it.

I saw a little piece of technology the other day that I thought might actually be helpful for the average golfer. It was a simple little GPS unit that clips to your hat or belt. It has no screen and only a single button. You push the button and it tells you - audibly - your current distance to the center of the green. That's it. The sum total of its features.

My gut reaction was, What about to the front of the green? What about to the back? What about to clear the bunker? Then I thought about it some more and realized, hey, I really don't need all of that information to play good golf. And I might even play better without that extra noise.

In the days before GPS and scopes, distance to the middle of the green was the only information we ever had, conveyed by stakes or buried capstones or even small bushes on either side of the fairway, along with the flags on the pin that would tell you, by its color, whether the pin was set that day on the front, middle, or back section of the green. And somehow people still managed to get around for 18 holes? What?!

One of my gripes about modern courses is that some of them, in an over reliance on GPS technology, or an assumption that no one uses them, have removed the stakes or let the stones grow over, and so on. And the flags are all the same color. Of course, even when the course has these markers, one still has to make a mental calculation if one is not right next to a marker or if far away from the centerline of the fairway. This little audible gps would be helpful in that regard.

I don't own a scope or a GPS, but my home course has GPS on the carts and I've realized, on those few occasions when I've chosen to walk, I've become addicted to that info...sometimes to my detriment. More than once lately I've just casually grabbed my distance to the pin off the screen and chosen a club. I end up hitting a solid shot that somehow flies the green completely. When I get up to the green I realize the pin was 3 paces from the back fringe and my shot wasn't that bad, but 5 yards past the target means its now over the green.

I would've been better off just knowing the distance to the center and adding one club for the pin being on the back section of the green, which would've been one club less than what I just hit.

Anyway, I've given serious thought to buying it. It was less than $60...on closeout. I guess it didn't have enough gizmos on it to be popular.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

I think for most of us a simple distance to the centre of the green would suffice. That's all I've ever had to work with because I don't own any gadgets. I've always approached the game old school where a bit of course knowledge will tell you how to play it most effectively and I have yet to see that displayed on any device.

I've played courses with mandatory carts that featured GPS devices and always felt their primary purpose were revenue drivers and a method to keep track of groups and their pace of play. I'll never forget being confronted by a marshal about 4 or 5 holes in and being scolded for being a half a hole behind based on the tablet he was carrying that tracked all the carts progress. I was dumbfounded that we would be harassed like this so quickly and vowed never to play there again, which I have quite happily stuck to.

Perhaps the best experience I have ever had at an unfamiliar course was when we checked in at the clubhouse; the clubhouse manager told us to simply play to the 100 yard marker off the tee and play the signature par 5 with a double dog leg using irons only to split the hole in thirds. Worked beautifully and far better than having a single (or multiple) data points referencing distance to the green.

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

RANT!!!

It has some truth in the general sense. I often have the same feeling.

However, we're dealing with human beings and we are all individually, unique !

A yardage device and/or a GPS golf device will help if the device help to speed up the decision process for the golfer in question. I remember those times when a golfer would pace back and forth from an in-ground yardage marker and stood there tossing grass clips into the air then stared at the tree top for the longest time........ not at a tournament, just a casual round..

Someone will be a slow poke and want to enjoy every second of their time on the golf course.

Probably the same guy going below the posted speed limit stayed in the left passing lane on the roadway with miles of traffic behind his vehicle.

It's in the driver's handbook for written test, to yield to faster traffic and stay out of the passing lane. Common sense also prevails when passing , it;s okay to go over the posted speed limit using the passing lane to pass slower traffic until it;s safe to return to the original lane. I have no clue whether people lack the common sense or they don't care or maybe they're just not equipped completely .............. .

So, if a technology could assist a golfer to move along swiftly through he golf course, all the power to them, they'll need it.

I refused to use a calculator when I can do the simple math in my head, I had refused to use the "future" when the PC first came on the market.

My brother been telling me that the PC was the future and work place gave training class to use it..... I looked at it back then when needing to type in command like C:/search.... ..... before the darn thing will do a simple function. It'll take me minutes to input and fill the appointment book while I could just seconds to hand written in the note pad. The process did not help but create extra work. Until Apple and Window change the game , now the PC . laptop. smart phone are a part of modern life.

When I was yonger, going out of the door only require to remember two things, wallet and the keys. Then it was wallet and the keys and the pager ( remember the pager ? It was only carried by VIP ), Then it become the wallet the keys and the pager + cellular phone.

Evolved to wallet and keys and the Smart phone........ all the way to present days when many instances only needing a smart phone to start a car, open the office doors check communication, and pay for lunch.......OH, maybe to carry a charger for the "device" of smartphone because it's online 24/7.

Soon according to all the messages I had been receiving recently, we'll all sit home and watch program or play games because the A.I. will take over most of the work load in all phases of our current activities ( including work ). I can see the Alzheimer's cases progressing faster in human race.

Soon according to all the messages I had been receiving recently, we'll all sit home and watch program or play games because the A.I. will take over most of the work load in all phases of our current activities ( including work ). I can see the Alzheimer's cases progressing faster in human race.

I think "A.I." is one of the biggest boat-load-o'-crap scams to be sold to the consumer in a good long while.

People have no idea how many steps / people / processes / etc are involved in making even the simplest things. They are told that AI will do everything for them, and how AI is so wonderful. Bull Puckey. It's simple another buzzword used to sell crap to the gullible. IMO, robots will never rule the world because they will never be smart enough to clean up after themselves. And they will never become self aware because the earth will be a smoldering rock by then. If there is one scintilla of human tainting in there they will destroy themselves.

I think "A.I." is one of the biggest boat-load-o'-crap scams to be sold to the consumer in a good long while.

People have no idea how many steps / people / processes / etc are involved in making even the simplest things. They are told that AI will do everything for them, and how AI is so wonderful. Bull Puckey. It's simple another buzzword used to sell crap to the gullible. IMO, robots will never rule the world because they will never be smart enough to clean up after themselves. And they will never become self aware because the earth will be a smoldering rock by then. If there is one scintilla of human tainting in there they will destroy themselves.

So....are you seeing the glass as half-full or half-empty????

Half empty for sure. Case in point. They show a guy using a camera and "AI" to reconstruct and ancient tower with lasers and a laptop. The only thing he can get from his data is the footprint. The rest comes from his imagination and so-called-educated guesses. Especially when they show the finials and carved stone trim work. None of that comes from rubble and "AI". It comes from thin air, imagination, and computer graphics software all with human input. And when the computer crashes and the satellite crashes and the guy ends up in the hospital with some ancient dust virus he kicked up it will be human intervention and human infrastructure that solves his problems. Not "AI".

Another one touted starting your car in the winter with your phone. Big deal. Remote starters have been around for how long now? That's not "AI". It's electrical switches and a wireless signal. We are so far away from real AI it ain't even funny.

It wouldn't be a problem if clueless managers didn't go to seminars and have "AI" nonsense pumped into their brain stems, and then come home and make stupid decisions that effect the lives and livelihood of real people. They are starting to make manpower decisions thinking that we already have "AI" in some form and that we should be able to do exponentially more with infinitely less.

"AI" my foot. And they can get off my lawn while they are at it. Harumpf.