2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Rants and Raves...

My take,

As Ryder Cups go I thought this one was pretty lame. Not much drama. US squad deserves that infamous Dottie Pepper quote, "......."

BZ to the Euros.

Pray tell what is the Dottie Pepper quote ???

In one of the Solheim Cups when Europe was making a comeback she made what she thought was an off mike comment to the effect that the American team were "choking freaking dogs" when the mike was actually open and her comment went out over the air.

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

For the good of America's Ryder Cup Team I will be taking over as Captain for the next event.

Well, I'm simply taking over.

I will be making all the player picks. All of them.

There will be No... Tiger, Phil, or Furyk.

Players will be chosen based on their ability to play the current venue and who has the hot hand.

Read...

http://www.morningread.com/features/20b4f089-780d-4003-84b7-6d46ab08eaa6

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

For the good of America's Ryder Cup Team I will be taking over as Captain for the next event.

Well, I'm simply taking over.

I will be making all the player picks. All of them.

There will be No... Tiger, Phil, or Furyk.

Players will be chosen based on their ability to play the current venue and who has the hot hand.

Read...

http://www.morningre...b7-6d46ab08eaa6

And the good news to all of this is that the solution to the distance problem on the PGA Tour has been answered with the course set-up at Le Golf Nationale. They don't need to roll back anything. All they need to do is ramp up the risk when trying for reward and that will be sufficient to reign in the hounds. Problem is they won't do it as too many players will whine about how unfair it is!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

It has occurred to me that the ‘Mericans, aren’t necessarily “choking dogs” as much as they are unable to run with the pack. When you’re big dogs, and cat, stay on the porch, it’s hard for the pups to find direction, so, for the most part they do what pups do, eat .... and pick at one another while the trail grows cold.

I want to say this doesn’t bother me, but, I’ve got too much time on my hands today and have twisted this into a microcosm of American society. Somebody please pass the tinfoil hat.

The only real conclusion that this Euro has drawn from the recent history of the Ryder Cup is that either the format is a great leveller, or else that there is just not that much separating those at the top of the game. I suspect it's a bit of both. There always seems to be a deal of angst (on either side) when superiority in rankings, or winnings, don't translate into RC points.

Bear in mind that DJ's stroke average is basically 69. To find a guy averaging 71, you're looking at Poulter who needed a wildcard to play. A lot can happen over 18 holes to overturn any arithmetical advantage held by the better player.

I'm really not sure that choking, or temperament, or desire, or tactical nous, or even team spirit is what separates the teams. Home advantage surely helps. The record since we started competing as Europe rather than GB&I is pretty evenly split, and I'd hate to have to argue that recent European teams are any stronger than those of the 80s when Seve, Langer, Faldo, Lyle and Woosnam were all in their prime. And the margin of victory is more often very fine than very wide.

It seems to have become a thing to point to the recriminations on the USA team after a defeat to illustrate the essential lack of team spirit, in contrast with the jolly Euros. Mickelson and Reed are excellent value in this regard. But let's not lose sight of Garcia's barbed comment aimed at Faldo, even whilst basking in the glow of victory.

My favourite moments were;

McIlroy thrusting his man-boobs at the spectators ahooting his mouth off and going on to lose (not Toulouse!).

Thomas' fantastic tee shot on 18.

McIlroy's face when he fed the fish.

DJ's face when he fed the fish.

I do agree with OSR that much of it was poor.

However the good news is that the UL Crown tournament is kicking off with teams of lovely ladies from the LPGA playing matchplay.

I have become a big fan of these girls who play a brand of golf that is closer to our own game as far as distance is concerned and actually look as though they are enjoying it.

I was watching an interview with the Thailand team earlier,their enthusiasm is infectious and they convey it very well despite the fact that english is a foreign language.

The Evian championship is on Youtube,a stunning golf course and take a look at Brooke Henderson hitting the par 5 green in two with a fizzing draw shot.

Ad over.

:air_kiss: LPGA

In an era where 7800 yards golf courses are here I thought it was refreshing to see that its not length that makes a golf course hard and that we can reel in the golf courses if we so wish by doing a few very simple things! Just let it grow.

I did mention this over on the darkside but was responded with 'what and have a tour full of Zach Johnsons!'

Help!

That just demonstrates how much people equate distance with their manhood.

This is one of my pet peeves. Somehow its more manly to shoot 95 from 6600 yards than 75 from 6200? I'll guarantee, its a lot more fun to do the latter.

The set of tees that one plays from should be based on their handicap, not on how far they think they drive the ball -- which is usually based on a small sample of selectively remembered tee shots.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

However the good news is that the UL Crown tournament is kicking off with teams of lovely ladies from the LPGA playing matchplay.

I have become a big fan of these girls who play a brand of golf that is closer to our own game as far as distance is concerned and actually look as though they are enjoying it.

I've thought this for a good while, now. The men on the pro circuits play a game with which I am thoroughly unfamiliar, to borrow a famous quote from Bobby Jones.

And if you play persimmon, you're my friend

I've thought this for a good while, now. The men on the pro circuits play a game with which I am thoroughly unfamiliar, to borrow a famous quote from Bobby Jones.

Agreed!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

In other news, this is a good read:

https://www.golfdige...a-female-caddie

Thanks for sharing. I enjoyed that.

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

New, Old Topic... Driver length.

Like all things Golf it appears there is not a one size fits all answer...

https://pluggedingolf.com/are-shorter-driver-shafts-more-accurate-golf-myths-unplugged/

In an era where 7800 yards golf courses are here I thought it was refreshing to see that its not length that makes a golf course hard and that we can reel in the golf courses if we so wish by doing a few very simple things! Just let it grow.

I did mention this over on the darkside but was responded with 'what and have a tour full of Zach Johnsons!'

Help!

This is one of my pet peeves. Somehow its more manly to shoot 95 from 6600 yards than 75 from 6200? I'll guarantee, its a lot more fun to do the latter.

The set of tees that one plays from should be based on their handicap, not on how far they think they drive the ball -- which is usually based on a small sample of selectively remembered tee shots.

I think it's more about the clubs chosen than the tees played. As in, buying a set with a 34* 8 iron instead of a 34* 6 iron, because they feel more rugged and manly about hitting a club with "8" on the sole where they otherwise might have been hitting one with a "6" on the sole. Nevermind they're essentially the same clubs.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

Help!

I think it's more about the clubs chosen than the tees played. As in, buying a set with a 34* 8 iron instead of a 34* 6 iron, because they feel more rugged and manly about hitting a club with "8" on the sole where they otherwise might have been hitting one with a "6" on the sole. Nevermind they're essentially the same clubs.

Is the typical male ego really that fragile? It seems like a stretch to me. Conversely I've seen lots of evidence of guys playing inappropriate tees whilst having no idea how far they really hit a ball; just some vague rosy coloured memory of that one that got away... No wait a minute, that's a fishing story...

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Help!

Is the typical male ego really that fragile? It seems like a stretch to me. Conversely I've seen lots of evidence of guys playing inappropriate tees whilst having no idea how far they really hit a ball; just some vague rosy coloured memory of that one that got away... No wait a minute, that's a fishing story...

It seems to be in the US, based on how irons are bought and the lack of knowledge about golf clubs in the general public. Even here on GolfWRX, where people should know better, there are dozens of posts from members giving similar comments as you'd find in that general golf public. Things that can be boiled down to "I don't play iron set A because I hit iron set B farther."

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

It seems to be in the US, based on how irons are bought and the lack of knowledge about golf clubs in the general public. Even here on GolfWRX, where people should know better, there are dozens of posts from members giving similar comments as you'd find in that general golf public. Things that can be boiled down to "I don't play iron set A because I hit iron set B farther."

That's a fair comment about playing X versus Y do to hitting the former further. Loft creep can be part of the reason for that. Still, I don't think the typical guy is going to look at the situation and say wow! I'm so much more manly because I can hit X 8 iron the same distance as my old Y 6 iron. The only person he's fooling is himself!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

That's a fair comment about playing X versus Y do to hitting the former further. Loft creep can be part of the reason for that. Still, I don't think the typical guy is going to look at the situation and say wow! I'm so much more manly because I can hit X 8 iron the same distance as my old Y 6 iron. The only person he's fooling is himself!

You and I wouldn't, and I'm betting almost everyone in the Classic section wouldn't, but there are a fair number of guys who do exactly that. :)

Due to playing my Golden Ram set with what I call 1960s lofts (32° 5 iron, 52° PW), I've had to explain what's going on to a few different guys in the golf league I sub in. They're accustomed to seeing me hit the ball farther than them (not many long hitters in this league), and when they find out I've hit a 7 iron on a 136 yard uphill par 3, they give me a funny look.

I can tell with some of them, they still don't understand after hearing the explanation. :)

Which reminds me.... a dozen years ago, I used to play in another golf league. The guy who ran the league, who was in Public Works and had some knowledge of "how things work," asked me why I was longer than him with driver, but we'd hit similar irons on our approach shots. He was playing King Cobras, I was playing Golden Rams. I told him the story of the King Cobra lofts, he thought a second and responded, "yeah, but still...." Can lead a horse to water, but.... LOL

You and I wouldn't, and I'm betting almost everyone in the Classic section wouldn't, but there are a fair number of guys who do exactly that. :)

Due to playing my Golden Ram set with what I call 1960s lofts (32° 5 iron, 52° PW), I've had to explain what's going on to a few different guys in the golf league I sub in. They're accustomed to seeing me hit the ball farther than them (not many long hitters in this league), and when they find out I've hit a 7 iron on a 136 yard uphill par 3, they give me a funny look.

I can tell with some of them, they still don't understand after hearing the explanation. :)

Which reminds me.... a dozen years ago, I used to play in another golf league. The guy who ran the league, who was in Public Works and had some knowledge of "how things work," asked me why I was longer than him with driver, but we'd hit similar irons on our approach shots. He was playing King Cobras, I was playing Golden Rams. I told him the story of the King Cobra lofts, he thought a second and responded, "yeah, but still...." Can lead a horse to water, but.... LOL

Fortunately I'm not good enough to have to explain myself. I just play golf. ;)

My main playing partner has an old set of clubs that were custom built for him 20 years ago. We hit the ball (or at least used to) pretty much the same distance with the same club in hand. His irons will have similar lofts to what I typically play whether vintage or more modern with only about a club's difference between the two eras for me. So, these types of things never come up.

In my men's league, I was one of the longer hitters, but I'm also one of only 4 guys under age 70 so that's more of a function of age and ability than hardware. Ego left the equation a long time ago as most of these guys are just damned glad to be out there chasing that little white ball around a couple of times a week! :good:

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

So, my situation in my league is similar; I'm in the younger half of the league as a mid-50something, and many of those younger aren't particularly accomplished. I also have a rep from my early years in the league, when I could still pound it a bit. To hear these guys, I'm in DJ/Koepka/Rory class. All because I hit a 285 yd tee shot on the first hole. LMAO

So, my situation in my league is similar; I'm in the younger half of the league as a mid-50something, and many of those younger aren't particularly accomplished. I also have a rep from my early years in the league, when I could still pound it a bit. To hear these guys, I'm in DJ/Koepka/Rory class. All because I hit a 285 yd tee shot on the first hole. LMAO

I would say that you have earned the rep quite honestly with a 285 yd. poke! Even when I was healthy 270 was the longest ever hit and that was using a 20 year old club to boot! Now, I'm lucky to bunt a 3W out there about 175 and play geezer golf like the rest of them!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I would say that you have earned the rep quite honestly with a 285 yd. poke! Even when I was healthy 270 was the longest ever hit and that was using a 20 year old club to boot! Now, I'm lucky to bunt a 3W out there about 175 and play geezer golf like the rest of them!

In my former golf league, my partner once almost drove a downhill par four. It was with the wind, and he adroitly used the cart path that runs along the entire left side of the fairway. The ball just kept bouncing along the center, and finally rolled off toward the green about 30 yards from the edge. It was perfect! I believe he went on to bogey the hole...

Hawthorne Hills - Ozaukee County - 401 yd par 4 14th hole.

Over the years, meeting a fair number of folks from the golf nerd world, it became old hat to see guys hitting some pretty long shots. Stuff like driving 296 yard par 4s with a 4w, or hitting 3w 320 yards off the tee.

Maybe watching all that, I've just gotten jaded. LOL

It's no exaggeration to say for several years, I could easily be the third longest in my foursome, with a 111-113mph driver swingspeed. Makes a guy think differently about distance. ;)

I had the group from hell in front of me yesterday. It's a public course, so one must expect to have to put up with slow play. This lot were not the slowest by any means, but possessed a degree of rude ignorance that I've not encountered before. To begin with, two of the three were practising on the putting green when I arrived, so I hoped as I was a lone player they might wave me on to the first tee. Not a chance - they hastened off when they saw me coming. Never mind - they were there before me. I putted for a bit and chipped for a bit more, listening to the foul language and arguing that drifted over from the first hole, and let them get two holes in front before I teed off. I caught them up on the fourth and had to wait on the tee while they searched for a ball, or maybe they were just arguing some more - whatever it was, it took a while. Once they moved towards the green I hit my usual two balls (!) and set off up the fairway. They were putting out when I got to them so I waited for them to finish. However, instead of heading for the fifth they went back to the first tee. Another player had arrived and they seemed to know one another. That's handy I thought - if they start again I'll have a clear run. I was putting out when they returned and jumped onto the fifth tee, completely ignoring me walking off the fourth green. I went back to the practice green and chipped for a bit more, muttering dark thoughts. There was no-one in front of them by this time, and the group behind me were just teeing off on two.

I caught them again on the seventh tee and waited while some more ball searching/arguing went on. I played two tee shots and then, to kill time, I inspected a clump of trees situated on the left of the fairway. Four balls to the good I came back out and saw they'd cleared the hole so I played up. They were on the ninth tee when I got to the eighth. I played eight, got to the ninth and found that three of them had disappeared, leaving one in the middle of the fairway. Nothing much happened for a while so I jumped over to the tenth green and putted for a bit. When I looked back all four were in the ninth fairway, no further forward. They moved on eventually and I let them clear the green before I teed off. I still had to wait on ten for them to get out of range. One of my tee shots went a bit left and I had to spend a few moments locating it and chipping it out from a clump of trees, which allowed them to clear the green. I played on, got to the par three eleventh tee and found them standing discussing scorecards well to the side of the twelfth tee, directly in line between the eleventh tee and green. I was no more than fifty yards from them, in broad daylight, yet they studiously ignored me and carried on talking, pointing and swearing. I was trying to decide whether to walk up and tell them what I thought or just play over their heads (and maybe take a couple of them out with a low shot) when they finally ambled off to the tee and got out of my way. They must have found some form at that point as by the time I'd holed two par putts and got onto twelve they were out of range.

I don't know what it is about this particular course, but for all its charm and peaceful setting it does attract a disproportionate amount of morons.

I had the group from hell in front of me yesterday. It's a public course, so one must expect to have to put up with slow play. This lot were not the slowest by any means, but possessed a degree of rude ignorance that I've not encountered before. To begin with, two of the three were practising on the putting green when I arrived, so I hoped as I was a lone player they might wave me on to the first tee. Not a chance - they hastened off when they saw me coming. Never mind - they were there before me. I putted for a bit and chipped for a bit more, listening to the foul language and arguing that drifted over from the first hole, and let them get two holes in front before I teed off. I caught them up on the fourth and had to wait on the tee while they searched for a ball, or maybe they were just arguing some more - whatever it was, it took a while. Once they moved towards the green I hit my usual two balls (!) and set off up the fairway. They were putting out when I got to them so I waited for them to finish. However, instead of heading for the fifth they went back to the first tee. Another player had arrived and they seemed to know one another. That's handy I thought - if they start again I'll have a clear run. I was putting out when they returned and jumped onto the fifth tee, completely ignoring me walking off the fourth green. I went back to the practice green and chipped for a bit more, muttering dark thoughts. There was no-one in front of them by this time, and the group behind me were just teeing off on two.

I caught them again on the seventh tee and waited while some more ball searching/arguing went on. I played two tee shots and then, to kill time, I inspected a clump of trees situated on the left of the fairway. Four balls to the good I came back out and saw they'd cleared the hole so I played up. They were on the ninth tee when I got to the eighth. I played eight, got to the ninth and found that three of them had disappeared, leaving one in the middle of the fairway. Nothing much happened for a while so I jumped over to the tenth green and putted for a bit. When I looked back all four were in the ninth fairway, no further forward. They moved on eventually and I let them clear the green before I teed off. I still had to wait on ten for them to get out of range. One of my tee shots went a bit left and I had to spend a few moments locating it and chipping it out from a clump of trees, which allowed them to clear the green. I played on, got to the par three eleventh tee and found them standing discussing scorecards well to the side of the twelfth tee, directly in line between the eleventh tee and green. I was no more than fifty yards from them, in broad daylight, yet they studiously ignored me and carried on talking, pointing and swearing. I was trying to decide whether to walk up and tell them what I thought or just play over their heads (and maybe take a couple of them out with a low shot) when they finally ambled off to the tee and got out of my way. They must have found some form at that point as by the time I'd holed two par putts and got onto twelve they were out of range.

I don't know what it is about this particular course, but for all its charm and peaceful setting it does attract a disproportionate amount of morons.

Happened to me yesterday. On an empty course, a pal and I caught up with these two guys on three. We just drove past them, waving, and teed off on four. Didn't see them again. Played one and two over again, for total 10 holes. I was driving away, and these guys were on 8.

The only solution is if the next hole is open, just skip a hole, and play the next one. Either give yourself a par on the skipped hole, or card the score twice.

Not the USGA or RA way, but the way for sanity.

It is annoying when singles are completely ignored. I've encountered situations, where guys have jumped onto the next tee, when I'm walking off the green. Happens all the time on league days. These jerks want to get practice holes in, and disregard my being there.

Easy to get into a confrontation, but wiser to say nothing. The world is completely crazy.

Easy to get into a confrontation, but wiser to say nothing. The world is completely crazy.

I agree. Better to say nothing and improvise than to encounter said idiot with a gun. What a sad and pathetic time we live in. We choose to display golf etiquette but it really doesn't matter does it?

On Saturday we were treated to a torrent of foul behavior in the clubhouse after our round, while on the course two from our group (last minute work outing - four ball round) showed very little etiquette to the two they were playing with! (your's truly and another guy I had never met before). One guy spent 20 minutes looking for his ball - on the driving range! :angry22: which ran parallel to one of the holes on the back nine. We had to waive two groups thru. He did this three times total, rather than take a drop. Talk about breaking the rhythm of the round... Yeah, I figure we wasted one whole hour looking for lost golf balls.

The other offender (my partner) couldn't figure out why his swing was off after repeatedly topping, chunking, whiffing, and abusing both the ball and the course. He could crush a drive, but displayed very angry behavior which at one point had me wishing I had stayed home. Toward the end of the round, after he just stopped playing with two holes to go, he revealed that this was only his 4th time out all season. :angry22: Thanks alot! Especially since we were playing for who buys lunch! :angry22: I had to play the final two hole alone. I had along my vintage woods with hybrid irons. Never had a blow up hole, so I played well enough to keep it close.

So the match was close, and we came within one inch of splitting with them. Cost me $31.50 for lunch, since the kid (my partner) carries no cash. Sigh...

I suppose it's the price we pay for 'growing the game', whatever that means. Too many people seem determined to shake off golf's stereotyped image as a boring game played by rich old men, and substituting it for one played by immature thugs whose sole object seems to be who can hit the ball the hardest. Yes McIlroy, I'm looking at you, among others. I'd rather they took their competitive machismo to the local fairground and left the golf course for those who respect it, and the game.

I agree. Better to say nothing and improvise than to encounter said idiot with a gun. What a sad and pathetic time we live in. We choose to display golf etiquette but it really doesn't matter does it?

On Saturday we were treated to a torrent of foul behavior in the clubhouse after our round, while on the course two from our group (last minute work outing - four ball round) showed very little etiquette to the two they were playing with! (your's truly and another guy I had never met before). One guy spent 20 minutes looking for his ball - on the driving range! :angry22: which ran parallel to one of the holes on the back nine. We had to waive two groups thru. He did this three times total, rather than take a drop. Talk about breaking the rhythm of the round... Yeah, I figure we wasted one whole hour looking for lost golf balls.

The other offender (my partner) couldn't figure out why his swing was off after repeatedly topping, chunking, whiffing, and abusing both the ball and the course. He could crush a drive, but displayed very angry behavior which at one point had me wishing I had stayed home. Toward the end of the round, after he just stopped playing with two holes to go, he revealed that this was only his 4th time out all season. :angry22: Thanks alot! Especially since we were playing for who buys lunch! :angry22: I had to play the final two hole alone. I had along my vintage woods with hybrid irons. Never had a blow up hole, so I played well enough to keep it close.

So the match was close, and we came within one inch of splitting with them. Cost me $31.50 for lunch, since the kid (my partner) carries no cash. Sigh...

It's a sign of the times. I live beside a CYO youth camp that happens to host the cross country running events for the local Catholic school board. I've become quite friendly with the staff as my daily walk takes me back their laneway to enter the adjacent conservation area walking paths. Last week was the fall session of cross country and despite sending home flyers with the kids informing parents that admission was $5 per car, cash only, several would show up at the gate house every day expecting debit to be available. Some really grumble about the cost despite the kids not having to pay a cent for participation in any CYO sponsored sports. It's all free. The only concession they require is that you pay to park if you chose to come to watch. It's their only direct form of fund raising beyond simply asking for handouts. But, it would appear that a portion of society still expect to get freebies at every turn!

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Once again the above posts give me cause for thought. Too much time on my hands. Banished to the breezeway, with my dog, coffee, and pipe.

Golf, as with civilization, at the moment, is balancing on that great scale of social justice, which, at best, stands on that slippery slope middle ground between conservatism and liberalism.

The rabbit hole is singing it’s siren song, please pass the tin foil hat.

And some say, “Golf, it’s just a game.”