Rants and Raves...

Since we are on the "rules", I've always been puzzled by " you cannot give or ask for advice" in the sense that there would seem to be a lot of grey areas. For example, does " you're supposed to hit the ball first", or, the bunker corollary ,"you're suppose to hit the sand first" constitute advise? For the sake of clarity, let's say it doesn't because these are invariably offered after the shot. Now, take the pre-shot statement "I always hit into the pond on this hole". It would seem critical to know if the speaker or his opponent was on the tee when weighing this as advice. On reflection, maybe it doesn't. Finally, my true confusion involves rangefinders. You've completed your preparation on an approach shot, entered the "be the ball" phase, and from behind you hear " It's a 168". Aborting the shot, you turn and consider your reply carefully. "Was that on sale"?

OMG! ROFLMAO! This happened to me yesterday. The single we were playing with has a rangefinder and shoots the distance before he hits on a short par three. He comes up short. According to the marker it's about 130, but there's a headwind. I'm on the tee and setting up to the ball and he says it's 133... I have the right club, but I'm now second guessing. Put it in the lefthand bunker about pin high...

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

OGA - Outlaw Golf Association. The 1%'ers of golfdom. Big Stu is the founder and illustrious leader. A way of thumbing our collective noses at the stupid rules laid forth by the USGA and R & A. No specific thread, just randomness sprinkled about it, here and elsewhere.

For one to join, its a simple process. Pick a membership number and place it in your sig. Once so "patched", you pledge to play at golf however you damn well please. Better yet, membership costs you nothing.

Examples: In a divot, roll the ball out before hitting. Anchored/long putter, just fine to use. Any clubs, any type of grooves, are good to go.

Thank you! Done and done. Now to mutilate by USGA bag tag and membership card. I'm keeping the hat tho...

OGA - Outlaw Golf Association. The 1%'ers of golfdom. Big Stu is the founder and illustrious leader. A way of thumbing our collective noses at the stupid rules laid forth by the USGA and R & A. No specific thread, just randomness sprinkled about it, here and elsewhere.

For one to join, its a simple process. Pick a membership number and place it in your sig. Once so "patched", you pledge to play at golf however you damn well please. Better yet, membership costs you nothing.

Examples: In a divot, roll the ball out before hitting. Anchored/long putter, just fine to use. Any clubs, any type of grooves, are good to go.

Thank you Fella you explained it perfectly

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W-- Callaway RAZR-- Speeder 565 R Flex

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

Irons 4 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Cleveland Designed By 8802 style

Since we are on the "rules", I've always been puzzled by " you cannot give or ask for advice" in the sense that there would seem to be a lot of grey areas. For example, does " you're supposed to hit the ball first", or, the bunker corollary ,"you're suppose to hit the sand first" constitute advise? For the sake of clarity, let's say it doesn't because these are invariably offered after the shot. Now, take the pre-shot statement "I always hit into the pond on this hole". It would seem critical to know if the speaker or his opponent was on the tee when weighing this as advice. On reflection, maybe it doesn't. Finally, my true confusion involves rangefinders. You've completed your preparation on an approach shot, entered the "be the ball" phase, and from behind you hear " It's a 168". Aborting the shot, you turn and consider your reply carefully. "Was that on sale"?

You are very correct I can give you an example--- You can give advice in stuff as common knowledge such as yardage or something like is there a bail out area right of the green? Or even there is a big creek at the bottom of the hill. Now you can not actually tell an opponent you need to hit a 8 iron here or for that matter tell them what club you hit. It can be a gray area in the rules and in Pro comp it can be a thin line between Professional Courtesy and a rules violation. One of the minis I played on here when the range finders first came out not everyone could afford one. What they did was allow them in a comp round and tried to put at least one guy with a range finder in each group. It was also permissable under our rules for another player to shoot your yardage. Another good example is pin placement sheet a fellow competetor can ask you if like say is that pin 10 steps on because it is common knowledge because everyone gets a pin sheet. Actually had a guy in a event that fell into a hazard and got his placement sheet wet. We were telling him what the placement was. Professional Courtesy and common knowledge in action. Now a little known rule-- In a stipulated round your clubs are known as equipment and you can not lend one out to a competetor even if you have already played that day and he is just starting. Now under the rules balls are not considered equipment under the rules (go figure) and you can lend or give a competetor a ball as long as it is the same brand and compression as the balls he started with if they are playing a "one ball rule" Just a few examples

Thank you! Done and done. Now to mutilate by USGA bag tag and membership card. I'm keeping the hat tho...

As President and Founder of the OGA let me welcome you to the fold glad to have you. One other thing Fella did not mention is that you have to flame the USGA on here every time you see an opportunity--- As far as USGA hats and bag tags I burned all of mine since I had been a member for years it was a big fire--- One of the great things about the OGA is do your own thing if you want to keep your hats that is fine too. Welcome Again

As President and Founder of the OGA let me welcome you to the fold glad to have you. One other thing Fella did not mention is that you have to flame the USGA on here every time you see an opportunity--- As far as USGA hats and bag tags I burned all of mine since I had been a member for years it was a big fire--- One of the great things about the OGA is do your own thing if you want to keep your hats that is fine too. Welcome Again

Thanks for the welcome! It's an Erin Hills hat with the Erin Hills Logo and a ball marker thingy in the cap an everything. I never wear it because it's white and I'm afraid to get it dirty.

But I will desecrate the bag tag and membership card, and will post a photo as proof.

Oh yeah: The USGA sucks! What did I ever get for my membership $$ but a crummy hat I can't even wear because it's too pretty??!?!

And - those ticket prices to the Open were just stupid. I can play (and am playing) multiple rounds of golf for what they were asking. Want to grow the game? How about making it CHEAPER!

My rant, idiots who are fishing for balls with their retrievers when the green is clear!

And the ones that do it here have 5 gallon buckets full of balls in their garage and could not possibly play them all if they played 36 holes a day until they were 100 years old

Thanks for the welcome! It's an Erin Hills hat with the Erin Hills Logo and a ball marker thingy in the cap an everything. I never wear it because it's white and I'm afraid to get it dirty.

But I will desecrate the bag tag and membership card, and will post a photo as proof.

Oh yeah: The USGA sucks! What did I ever get for my membership $$ but a crummy hat I can't even wear because it's too pretty??!?!

And - those ticket prices to the Open were just stupid. I can play (and am playing) multiple rounds of golf for what they were asking. Want to grow the game? How about making it CHEAPER!

"The USGA sucks" I like this new member already!!!!!

My rant, idiots who are fishing for balls with their retrievers when the green is clear!

And the ones that do it here have 5 gallon buckets full of balls in their garage and could not possibly play them all if they played 36 holes a day until they were 100 years old

I play with that guy on occasion. The worst part of this is that he won 300 balls in an ammo box at a tournament last year and he has never used a single one! Why do that when he can fish freebees out of a pond? Better yet, he keeps the good balls he finds and offers me every crapper he comes across. I told him: No thanks, I'm not that hard up! :angry: Probably the same guy that as a kid hoarded his Hallowe'en candy until it was moldy! :lol:

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

While we are on the subject of "fishing for balls..."

One of the members of our foursome today with the traveling senior group I think spent more time around the ponds "fishing for balls" than he actually did on the greens.

My cart buddy and myself hung our heads in shame as we could see steam coming from the group behind us as he pulled ball after ball out of the ponds.

After a couple of "we need to speed it ups, which seemed to fall on deaf ears, we just decided to play as a 2 ball, regardless of where they were on the hole, and if they couldn't catch up to us on the next tee box..Oh Well...

Still a 5 1/2 hour round. Sad, it was at a nice private course that hosts a prestigious international amateur event yearly. Would like to have had the opportunity to play it when I wasn't so outraged by the pace of play.

I usually play in the evenings at my little course and try like heck to fill up my 5 gallon bucket with balls I get from the ponds, 'usually know one playing so dont keep anyone waiting

The difference is here in the desert where the course is you, hit the range balls in the wash, once a week a couple of guys from the mens club go out and pick them up and put them in the ball machine. The mens club gets all the proceeds form the ball machine, Pretty nice deal for the mens club and I am donating balls for them to make a few bucks on so they never have to buy balls

its averaging over 110 degrees here now, it was 122 ,2 days ago so not many balls in the water since hardly anyone playing

When it is not too hot I go through a 5 gallon bucket of balls in a week , so some people do hit the balls sitting in the garage in 5 gallon bucket

UStoopidGoofyword not allowed

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

I play with that guy on occasion. The worst part of this is that he won 300 balls in an ammo box at a tournament last year and he has never used a single one! Why do that when he can fish freebees out of a pond? Better yet, he keeps the good balls he finds and offers me every crapper he comes across. I told him: No thanks, I'm not that hard up! :angry: Probably the same guy that as a kid hoarded his Hallowe'en candy until it was moldy! :lol:

Shoot these old farts around here will not even sell you a ball. I know one who has about 10- 5 gallon buckets full. On rainy days he sorts through what he calls his master bucket and puts new finds into their approate bucket. And hell no he will not sell you any. Called me one day wanting me to do some club work. I told him let me pick 2 dozen Pro Vs from the bucket. Naaw he told me I would rather pay cash. Ok so I set the price higher than any golf shop. Saw him 2 weeks later and he told me that the PGA SS was cheaper than me. I told him fine do not call me any more call them. He told me well you will not be in business long like that. I informed him that I did not make a living in my little shop that I drove a truck for a living and stressed kiss my :censored2: and repeated do not call me ever again.

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Don't know if this is the right place for this, but I thought this was pretty cool...

http://www.foxsports...er-proud-071117

That would be considered a Rave.

Yes, this is as good a place for it as any and thanks for sharing an excellent article.

Thanks for linking that. Yep Mr Palmer was something else

I feel sorry for the LPGA golfers. It always has to be about Trump 1f622.png...

http://www.golf.com/tour-news/2017/07/14/reports-president-trump-will-spend-weekend-bedminster-club

Stu,that's the same here in Yorkshire,UK,the old boys are tighter than a duck's backside and will spend hours (seems like) searching for balls in waist-high grass or risk drowning in ponds for the sake of getting something for nothing.

One of them nearly passed out the other day when I hit one in the rough and said 'Leave it,six rounds and scuffed,can't be bothered' and a real winner was one bloke playing with the scruffiest ball you ever saw,I picked it out of the hole and after examining it told him I couldn't let him play with crap like that and threw it into a thick patch of brambles!

His eyes came out on stalks,he hadn't spotted that I switched his ball with another and kept his in my pocket!

Some great footage from one of our many recent protests, an anarchist accusing a policeman of assaulting him. Funny as it is that an anarchist is so interested in laws and rules, but said policeman didn't touch the guy and just repeated his request for the utter tool to stop throwing fireworks into a crowd of people.

I feel sorry for the LPGA golfers. It always has to be about Trump 1f622.png...

http://www.golf.com/...bedminster-club

Don't feel sorry at all for them. If any of them had even a breath of sensibility at all they pull out (but the money my god the money). Plus the LPGA has lost all credibility except for in the eyes of the elitist.

Another addition to the "Rant" column ... Keith Pelley ... I've heard alot of Marketing morons in my time, but this guy is something else ... I really hope he finds something else to do and leaves the running of the European Tour to someone else far better qualified !

[i]"Don't play too much golf ... two rounds a day are plenty" [/i]

[b]Harry Vardon[/b] (1870-1937)

As promised!

The USGA still sucks. BTW, the Opens were awfully boring to me this year. Was it the USGA, FOX, or both?

:Rant:

:Things that bug me while playing golf:

Our normal quiet Sunday afternoon round was interrupted by a foursome in golf carts. These were all twenty-somethings who NEVER STOPPED TALKING AND YELLING BACK AND FORTH BETWEEN THEMSELVES. I have never heard so much nonsense chattered in my life. They had no respect, or even awareness, of people playing within earshot on every hole we encountered them on. Plus the fact that these were all healthy looking guys in their twenties.

I wanted to yell at them: GET YOUR A@@SES OUT OF THOSE CARTS AND WALK YOU IDIOTS!, but my playing partner stopped me.

What is it with young people riding in golf carts anyway? Apparently they can't conceive of golf without the driving experience. Thankfully they weren't playing music. Of course, they wouldn't have heard it anyway, what with all of the jabbering going on.

I have no problem if people want to ride in a cart, provided they are respectful of other's on the course. But these guys were just idiots. The drove on front of us when we were hitting our tee shots (should'a aimed at them) and were just loud and obnoxious. If I had done that when I was a kid, my dad would have belted me.

:End of Rant: