Drive 400 Distance Program .... my review

Just signed up, still a few months before I can get out and play but hoping to see big improvements!

Follow the program properly and I think you'll be quite happy! Good luck!

Any substitute for lacrosse ball?

Not sure who will stick those here mid winter

You can try a simple kids "bouncy" ball. Hard rubber. Should be able to find those pretty easily.

Amazon is my friend. Found a ton of these balls. Should get by Thursday.

I have never been flexible and often have aches in my legs. Hamstrings tighter than violin strings.

Am really hoping the MFR sections will help me.

I’ve been back at it after kidney stone/back issues since Jan 1. Got some local coaching re proper squat form. Main focus is on mobility and strength - this is still a 90 minute session, 4x/week. Feels great.

Question re wrist strength. I am doing wrist curls regularly. It makes sense but then again, I’m confused. A big part of speed for me is relaxed forearms thru impact. I’ve never found that ‘trying’ to swing club with hands helped (it always slowed the club down for me) and if grip gets firmer it inhibits release. And my speed is def improving. Definitely. I hit balls on the course yesterday that backed the clock up 3 years.

So ... how does forearm strength play into this?

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Just ordered. I'd be happy as a cat in a canary cage if I could get 5 more mph clubhead speed and 10 more yards off the tee box.

And if that doesn't happen, I had something occur one month ago that gives me impetus to start working out anyway: after a lifetime of being told "Everything's fine, no worries" after checkups, doc said last month I need to make lifestyle changes due to moderately high blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides. Ugh, nothing wrong all my life and now three things all at once! So in the last month I've started a diet and dropped 16 lbs, BP has gone from 140/90 to 110/75, I feel so much better, carrying around one less extra large bowling ball. And now, stage 2: physical fitness. Might as well be golf-related, will be more likely to stick with it.

I’ve been back at it after kidney stone/back issues since Jan 1. Got some local coaching re proper squat form. Main focus is on mobility and strength - this is still a 90 minute session, 4x/week. Feels great.

Question re wrist strength. I am doing wrist curls regularly. It makes sense but then again, I’m confused. A big part of speed for me is relaxed forearms thru impact. I’ve never found that ‘trying’ to swing club with hands helped (it always slowed the club down for me) and if grip gets firmer it inhibits release. And my speed is def improving. Definitely. I hit balls on the course yesterday that backed the clock up 3 years.

You can only maintain speed you're strong enough to handle. Hand/wrist strength and forearm strength don't necessarily create speed, but they have to be strong in order to handle the speed generated from arms, core, legs, etc. So, you may have the swing to generate 10 mph more speed, but if your strength in your hands wrists forearms can't withstand it, your body won't let you swing that fast.

I usually have a good analogy to explain this but it escapes me.

You can only maintain speed you're strong enough to handle. Hand/wrist strength and forearm strength don't necessarily create speed, but they have to be strong in order to handle the speed generated from arms, core, legs, etc. So, you may have the swing to generate 10 mph more speed, but if your strength in your hands wrists forearms can't withstand it, your body won't let you swing that fast.

I usually have a good analogy to explain this but it escapes me.

A Toyota Corolla with a souped up 400hp engine. . .and stock Corolla tires.

Just signed up, still a few months before I can get out and play but hoping to see big improvements!

Follow the program properly and I think you'll be quite happy! Good luck!

Any substitute for lacrosse ball?

Not sure who will stick those here mid winter

You can try a simple kids "bouncy" ball. Hard rubber. Should be able to find those pretty easily.

Amazon is my friend. Found a ton of these balls. Should get by Thursday.

I have never been flexible and often have aches in my legs. Hamstrings tighter than violin strings.

Am really hoping the MFR sections will help me.

It totally should.

Just got my lacrosse ball.

Saw the MFR videos and tried today.

I have very tight hamstrings but they weren't sore doing the foam roller.

Is it still helping if there is no soreness

Yes, it should still be helping.

What color of foam roller are you using? Black is the firmest.

It's possible to be inflexible and not feel discomfort when foam rolling. You might have good tissue quality but just don't have much laxity in your joints. Two totally different things.

Are you 100% sure you're tight in your hamstrings and not your lower back? Some people think they have tight hamstrings (and limited flexibility) but it's actually an immobile and tight lower and mid back.

Regardless, soft tissue work and mobility exercises should help with all of this!

Good luck!

Glad you're back to being healthy, Chuck. Good to hear!

A lot of people have tight hips and ankles and that's why they struggle with squatting. Soft tissue and mobility work should definitely continue to help you there. I hate Squats with a passion but man are they a good exercise for lower body and core strength.

My back problems from two years ago (when I wasn't working out) are completely gone............ from squatting and deadlifting. Imagine that.

Most people I know with back problems stem from a lack of strength. This program will definitely help with that.

Regarding forearm strength:

If you look at Long Drive guys, look at home-run hitters, both swing clubs and both smash balls for a living. Both have extremely strong hands and forearms. Your forearms and hands are the last part of the Kinetic Chain. They're the last part of the body that transfers and imparts force.

If they're weak and or passive, the energy created earlier in the movement won't transfer as efficiently. It's like wrist snap with a Baseball pitcher. A study done many years ago concluded that grip strength was highly conducive to ball velocity. For example, try throwing a ball as hard as possible, without letting your wrist bend (eliminating wrist snap). What you're essentially doing is throwing without utilizing the last part of the kinetic chain. You will be throwing a variation of a change-up and you will reduce your ball velocity by 10-15 mph, easily.

Another thing to consider (I don't have scientific backing on this) is stability. Take hitting a baseball as an example. A ball traveling towards a bat at 90mph will impart tremendous force onto the bat upon impact. If that bat isn't held with extreme stability, the bat will recoil and potential ball exit velocity will dissipate. Conversely, if that bat is held extremely stable, the force will rebound back onto the ball and the exit velocity will be much faster. This stability principle applies to the golf swing, it's just not nearly as big of a factor because the ball is stationary and lighter.

Yes, the bat and the club are already moving towards the ball prior to impact (around the time of maximum engagement of the forearms and hands), it's just that you won't fully maximize your speed and distance with passive and or weak hands.

Strong and powerful forearms and hands should accelerate the clubbed into the ball, not just hold the club in place.

I can hit a ball probably 75 yards just using my forearms and wrists. That's definitely significant.

Think of staying loose with the forearms and hands until the late in the swing, then engaging them and stepping on the gas, so to speak.

Make sense?

Just ordered. I'd be happy as a cat in a canary cage if I could get 5 more mph clubhead speed and 10 more yards off the tee box.

And if that doesn't happen, I had something occur one month ago that gives me impetus to start working out anyway: after a lifetime of being told "Everything's fine, no worries" after checkups, doc said last month I need to make lifestyle changes due to moderately high blood pressure, cholesterol and triglycerides. Ugh, nothing wrong all my life and now three things all at once! So in the last month I've started a diet and dropped 16 lbs, BP has gone from 140/90 to 110/75, I feel so much better, carrying around one less extra large bowling ball. And now, stage 2: physical fitness. Might as well be golf-related, will be more likely to stick with it.

Great job man! I'll be honest, I've never been a total gym rat, endorphin junkie, workout fanatic, but I will say, it sure does feel good both mentally and physically when I do hit the gym. It's a total life changer. Keep it up!

A lot of people have tight hips and ankles and that's why they struggle with squatting. Soft tissue and mobility work should definitely continue to help you there. I hate Squats with a passion but man are they a good exercise for lower body and core strength.

My back problems from two years ago (when I wasn't working out) are completely gone............ from squatting and deadlifting. Imagine that.

Most people I know with back problems stem from a lack of strength. This program will definitely help with that.

If you look at Long Drive guys, look at home-run hitters, both swing clubs and both smash balls for a living. Both have extremely strong hands and forearms. Your forearms and hands are the last part of the Kinetic Chain. They're the last part of the body that transfers and imparts force.

If they're weak and or passive, the energy created earlier in the movement won't transfer as efficiently. It's like wrist snap with a Baseball pitcher. A study done many years ago concluded that grip strength was highly conducive to ball velocity. For example, try throwing a ball as hard as possible, without letting your wrist bend (eliminating wrist snap). What you're essentially doing is throwing without utilizing the last part of the kinetic chain. You will be throwing a variation of a change-up and you will reduce your ball velocity by 10-15 mph, easily.

Another thing to consider (I don't have scientific backing on this) is stability. Take hitting a baseball as an example. A ball traveling towards a bat at 90mph will impart tremendous force onto the bat upon impact. If that bat isn't held with extreme stability, the bat will recoil and potential ball exit velocity will dissipate. Conversely, if that bat is held extremely stable, the force will rebound back onto the ball and the exit velocity will be much faster. This stability principle applies to the golf swing, it's just not nearly as big of a factor because the ball is stationary and lighter.

Yes, the bat and the club are already moving towards the ball prior to impact (around the time of maximum engagement of the forearms and hands), it's just that you won't fully maximize your speed and distance with passive and or weak hands.

Strong and powerful forearms and hands should accelerate the clubbed into the ball, not just hold the club in place.

I can hit a ball probably 75 yards just using my forearms and wrists. That's definitely significant.

Think of staying loose with the forearms and hands until the late in the swing, then engaging them and stepping on the gas, so to speak.

Make sense?

Hey Rob thx. Ironically the stroke that I most experience the importance of the head not rebounding from contact with the ball is putting.

I get the idea of ‘stepping on the gas’ near impact but I tend to think of that in terms of bracing left side. I will explore your idea - it’s not new to me but I know I must be missing something.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Make sense?

Hey Rob thx. Ironically the stroke that I most experience the importance of the head not rebounding from contact with the ball is putting.

I get the idea of ‘stepping on the gas’ near impact but I tend to think of that in terms of bracing left side. I will explore your idea - it’s not new to me but I know I must be missing something.

Ya give it a shot and let me know!

I’ve had this system for a few months now, have only really been doing the rolling and stretches, haven’t got into the drills yet just swing my driving in the garage with a swing speed radar.

When I started my average was around 100 and maxing our at 105.

After around six weeks I maxed out 124 but most swings/days I was between 112 and 120.

Last night I read this post from Rob:

“As far as "coil" and added speed. We talked about this in person and it's all about the stretch-shortening cycle (SSC). Think of an elastic band - pull it back at a consistently slow speed and it becomes difficult after a certain point and range of motion is limited. Measure the distance it flies and it will go decently far. Now, stretch the band back twice as fast and it will be longer before you encounter the same resistance (due to momentum) and the range of motion will greatly increase. Measure the distance and it will have flown much further. Our muscles and the golf swing work no differently.”

Woke up this morning not feeling that fresh but decided to give it a go so did some rolling and stretching then started swinging.

Almost straight away I got one at 124 and every single other swing was at least 118 and most were over 120 so very please and felt like a real breakthrough in swing fast consistently.

I also think getting the SSC going on the course once a ball is in the way will help to translate these faster practice swings to actually doing it out on the course. Am playing tomorrow morning so will try and report in tomorrow. Hoping to hit parts of the fairway I’ve never reached before.

Thanks Rob!

I now my flexibility is pretty awful. Let’s see what this does with respect to my speed in a couple months. I was 104-106 on the flight scope yesterday and would love to get back to low teens again by the time the season starts here in about 3 months.

You're in a great range to improve!

As long as you follow the program consistently, I don't see how you won't get back into the 112-114 mph range, maybe even as high as 115 mph.

It doesn't seem like it, but 3 months is a long time to improve!

For example, I didn't start working out last year until the second week of December I believe it was (just a lot going on - big mistake).

I also only played about 4 or 5 rounds of golf last year (pitiful) and my swing-speed was only around 118-120 mph. That might sound good, but for me, it’s bad.

For the past 7 weeks, I’ve been doing Trap Bar Deadlifts consistently (working on developing lower back, leg, core and grip strength).

On day 1, I tested myself and my 1RM (rep max) was 335 pounds. That's pretty good for the average person who doesn't workout, but not great for someone with a history of strength training experience.

This past Friday, I tested myself again (end of week 7) and my 1RM improved to 500 pounds. I'm 38 now and that’s the heaviest I’ve ever lifted and a gain of 165 pounds in about 7 weeks.

I haven't even been doing any of the Drive 400 Swing-Speed Drills and my swing-speed is now back up to between 130-135 mph.

This speed increase is solely the result of strength training for 7 weeks.

The reason I’m telling you all of this is to help you (and others) realize that strength and speed gains don’t have to take long to occur if you have a well thought out plan and that’s where Drive 400 comes in.

This is especially true for beginners and people with a history of working out, who may have slipped. Sometimes all it takes is reactivating the body… waking it up from hibernation.

What’s also great is that strength training is just one part of the equation.

There are so many ways to improve swing-speed and distance.

Even just following one of these components of the program, consistently, will increase swing-speed.

Flexibility

Mobility

Strength Training

Neuromuscular Training

Power Training (med-ball, etc),

Swing-Speed Training

Improving Grip/Forearm Strength

Improving Ground Reaction Force

Rotary Core Training

Swing Technique - can be as simple as a grip change: interlocked vs overlap, strong vs neutral vs weak.

Equipment Tweaking

Etc, etc.

Hell, caffeine alone can increase swing-speed! It’s been proven to increase power output.

I’m not joking. Give it a shot.

Last I checked, although less exciting (for most people), coffee beans are a lot cheaper than a new $400 driver, too.

Anyway, there are so many ways to improve swing-speed and distance and to be honest, most people aren't utilizing very many of these things at all. That's why I developed the program. I felt there was a need to design a program that provided Golfers with all of these components in one affordable package.

Hope you found this interesting and beneficial.

Keep us posted, man!

All the best.

Rob.

I've had this system for a few months now, have only really been doing the rolling and stretches, haven't got into the drills yet just swing my driving in the garage with a swing speed radar.

When I started my average was around 100 and maxing our at 105.

After around six weeks I maxed out 124 but most swings/days I was between 112 and 120.

Last night I read this post from Rob:

"As far as "coil" and added speed. We talked about this in person and it's all about the stretch-shortening cycle (SSC). Think of an elastic band - pull it back at a consistently slow speed and it becomes difficult after a certain point and range of motion is limited. Measure the distance it flies and it will go decently far. Now, stretch the band back twice as fast and it will be longer before you encounter the same resistance (due to momentum) and the range of motion will greatly increase. Measure the distance and it will have flown much further. Our muscles and the golf swing work no differently."

Woke up this morning not feeling that fresh but decided to give it a go so did some rolling and stretching then started swinging.

Almost straight away I got one at 124 and every single other swing was at least 118 and most were over 120 so very please and felt like a real breakthrough in swing fast consistently.

I also think getting the SSC going on the course once a ball is in the way will help to translate these faster practice swings to actually doing it out on the course. Am playing tomorrow morning so will try and report in tomorrow. Hoping to hit parts of the fairway I've never reached before.

Thanks Rob!

Dude. Yes. To all of it. That's unreal. Seriously, great job!

I'm spending the next two weeks putting together an entire video series of how to maximize swing-speed.

I'll be going into much more detail regarding all of these things (SSC, etc, etc).

I'll let you know when it's ready to go.

In the mean time, please don't be afraid to post your improvement to social media.

I'll be totally transparent, I'm trying to grow my business (it's very difficult in this industry) so it all helps.

I'm here to help in any way I can and to provide value.

I appreciate it and seriously, great job man! Keep it up!

Rob.

It's possible to be inflexible and not feel discomfort when foam rolling. You might have good tissue quality but just don't have much laxity in your joints. Two totally different things.

Are you 100% sure you're tight in your hamstrings and not your lower back? Some people think they have tight hamstrings (and limited flexibility) but it's actually an immobile and tight lower and mid back.

Regardless, soft tissue work and mobility exercises should help with all of this!

Good luck!

Pretty sure it's my hamstrings. Can't touch my toes and his like hell where my hammys are.

My foam roller is one that is pink coloured with some bumps on it called trigger point foam roller.

Have to say my quads and rotators were looking rolling.

Should I give a day or 2 of to recover? Can one roll with to much pressure?

Also for the ball rolling exercises should one do all our any of the floor vs wall ones?

Rob -

Do you think that as max speed increases, cruising speed will go up by the same amount (ie same perceived level on each)? I was working on the simulator and my "comfortable and controlled" speed was 105-106 with a corresponding ball speed of 154-156 consistently. When I would try to max out effort, my best result was 112 clubhead and 165 ball speed. If I can increase my max by say 5-6 mph, would you expect the same 5-6 in my comfortable and controlled attempts? Additionally, is my delta pretty typical at about a 6 mph difference between regular speed and trying to go as fast as possible? Thanks for any input. All of your answers in this thread have been very helpful so far.

This has certainly had an impact on my game. Last year I hit a few drives over 320 on the course after a couple decades of rarely hitting the ball over 250. And, my workouts have been altered quite a bit. My body is reacting to this and (this is funny) my wife even says I'm looking really good. How's that for an endorsement!? My problem is that I'm a busy guy and only get to the gym a couple times per week, but manage to work in some mobility, swing and lacrosse ball work at home too. Good stuff. Love learning new things like this.

• 2 weeks later...

9 ball average comfortably up to 107. I could get more if I really went after it, but a normal swing is about 107.

Pretty happy using some prototype resistance clubs to increase my sequencing and speed. Doing some grip work using a "Swing-Rite" trainer. Triggers comfortably between levels 4 and 5. Continuing with the recover and prep section. Have not even started on the weight and resistance training yet.

Good luck!

Pretty sure it's my hamstrings. Can't touch my toes and his like hell where my hammys are.

My foam roller is one that is pink coloured with some bumps on it called trigger point foam roller.

Have to say my quads and rotators were looking rolling.

Should I give a day or 2 of to recover? Can one roll with to much pressure?

Also for the ball rolling exercises should one do all our any of the floor vs wall ones?

I would get a black roller. They're pretty firm.

Ya, if you're in pain, give yourself a day or two off but the more you do it, the sooner you'll be pain free. There's a short period of discomfort when rolling for most people, then it goes away.

Just choose which exercise work better for you... wall or floor. Certain people respond differently to different exercises.

Rob -

Do you think that as max speed increases, cruising speed will go up by the same amount (ie same perceived level on each)? I was working on the simulator and my "comfortable and controlled" speed was 105-106 with a corresponding ball speed of 154-156 consistently. When I would try to max out effort, my best result was 112 clubhead and 165 ball speed. If I can increase my max by say 5-6 mph, would you expect the same 5-6 in my comfortable and controlled attempts? Additionally, is my delta pretty typical at about a 6 mph difference between regular speed and trying to go as fast as possible? Thanks for any input. All of your answers in this thread have been very helpful so far.

Hi, good question.

Generally speaking, yes.

It's similar to strength training. Say you have a max squat of 320 lbs and your "comfortable" 50% effort squat is 160 lbs.

If you're able to increase your max squat to 400 lbs, your "comfortable" 50% effort squat will go up as well. It should then be 200 lbs.

Make sense?

It's not as if your max effort weight can go up but your sub-maximal weight just stays the same.

Same thing applies to swing-speed. As your maximum swing-speed increases, so then will your sub-maximal swing-speed.

Say it takes 80% of your maximum effort to hit a 7 iron 160 yards. If you increase your maximum swing-speed, that 80% effort, 160 yard shot might only require 70% effort, therefore improving your control and accuracy, since velocity and control are diametrically opposed.

There are more factors involved but generally speaking, this is true.

That’s why pros and powerful golfers can hit the ball longer and straighter than average golfers. They can swing faster, with less effort than most people, therefore improving control of their body and accuracy of the ball.

Honestly, I should talk about this more often since sub-maximal speed and distance gains are probably more important for lower scores than maximum speed and distance gains. We don't often swing 100% during a round of golf... almost every swing is sub-maximal.

Good topic!

Hi

Downloaded this and already feeling the benefit from the stretches and rolling. For the swing exercises, will be it damaging to use (the lightest) bar in the gym rather than my driver? I live in hotels 4 days a week and can't really take a club on the plane on a weekly basis!

Hi,

Good stuff! Keep it up!

When you say lightest bar? What bar do you mean?

This has certainly had an impact on my game. Last year I hit a few drives over 320 on the course after a couple decades of rarely hitting the ball over 250. And, my workouts have been altered quite a bit. My body is reacting to this and (this is funny) my wife even says I'm looking really good. How's that for an endorsement!? My problem is that I'm a busy guy and only get to the gym a couple times per week, but manage to work in some mobility, swing and lacrosse ball work at home too. Good stuff. Love learning new things like this.

Really happy to hear this!

Just do what you can. Anything is better than nothing. That's really the approach more people should take.

You might not have the time to follow the program exactly, but you will still benefit from doing something!

Keep it up!

9 ball average comfortably up to 107. I could get more if I really went after it, but a normal swing is about 107.

Pretty happy using some prototype resistance clubs to increase my sequencing and speed. Doing some grip work using a "Swing-Rite" trainer. Triggers comfortably between levels 4 and 5. Continuing with the recover and prep section. Have not even started on the weight and resistance training yet.

Good stuff! The biggest gains come from the the swing-speed program and strength training, for most people.

Crap, now my transition is faster too. Not quite at 109 with a 9 shot average and peak deviation of 3mph on a Flightscope. I think I'll be needing new shafts for all my clubs. The salesman told me to look at so and so shaft. My conclusion is the stiffer the shaft the more they stiff you for $$$.

Going to be starting the workout sections later this week.