Drive 400 Distance Program .... my review

Nice job man!

Yup, I'll possibly have to get re-fitted before we play.

My transition is definitely loading stronger. Much more solid strikes!

Really liking my new swing. I'm hitting farther with a lot less side-to-side issues. Played only a few holes, but in general hitting straighter again and farther to boot.

I’m so annoyed. Again getting into the full swing of things and hitting the ball hard —- and I pulled a muscle in my upper back. Not sure if it was in the gym or from the swing. Ugh. Slowly it’s healing but... aggravating.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I’m so annoyed. Again getting into the full swing of things and hitting the ball hard —- and I pulled a muscle in my upper back. Not sure if it was in the gym or from the swing. Ugh. Slowly it’s healing but... aggravating.

There’s no need to overdo anything. As we get older recovery times increase, but we also don’t have any specific time lines for strength and recovery either.

Try doubling the recovery times and dropping load increases by 20% to 30%. Wait until the current resistance feels almost like nothing.

After you heal, that is.

Nice job man!

Yup, I'll possibly have to get re-fitted before we play.

My transition is definitely loading stronger. Much more solid strikes!

Really liking my new swing. I'm hitting farther with a lot less side-to-side issues. Played only a few holes, but in general hitting straighter again and farther to boot.

Awesome! Love it. Keep it going!

I'm so annoyed. Again getting into the full swing of things and hitting the ball hard —- and I pulled a muscle in my upper back. Not sure if it was in the gym or from the swing. Ugh. Slowly it's healing but... aggravating.

There's no need to overdo anything. As we get older recovery times increase, but we also don't have any specific time lines for strength and recovery either.

Try doubling the recovery times and dropping load increases by 20% to 30%. Wait until the current resistance feels almost like nothing.

After you heal, that is.

Sucks you pulled a muscle. This is good advice though. Lacrosse ball roll on back or against wall. Heat. Don't ice. Prevents inflammation, which is actually part of the natural healing process and speeds up recovery time. Ice is good for drinks and making you think you're helping yourself, because it reduces inflammation and visually, we think that's a good thing. It's not.

I really get so into the effort of a workout - I really like it, but I think I just push it to the limit. I actually think it's the swing that did it. I am much faster now than in a while and also much shallower. Something in that tweaked the back, maybe on top of muscles being tired.

Yes, heat! Went to chiro today, got adjustment, massage. Will do the ball against the wall. It's healing.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

What size of foam roller is recommended? I travel a lot with work and need something I can take with me.

There are hundreds of different rollers on the market today, if you are looking for a roller for traveling they make some of them around 18" give or take (would be the "travel" size 1s). For me when I travel I usually just bring a couple of the different types of massage balls I have - a lacrosse ball and there are a number of different massage balls on the market.

In general I usually recommend to people to buy rollers (or ball if you go that route) that are more dense, because the softer 1s wear out quicker, and they lose some of their effectiveness (ie you get more used to them) over time.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself really quickly to this thread, my name is Mike I'm a trainer and a Strength Coach, and been working in fitness for 14 or so years. If there are general fitness questions I may try to chime in and answer as best I can (questions not specifically about Rob's program). But if you have questions that I may be able to answer then let me know, I'd be happy to help.

Hey everyone, I just wanted to introduce myself really quickly to this thread, my name is Mike I'm a trainer and a Strength Coach, and been working in fitness for 14 or so years. If there are general fitness questions I may try to chime in and answer as best I can (questions not specifically about Rob's program). But if you have questions that I may be able to answer then let me know, I'd be happy to help.

Are you affiliated with Rob and the Drive 400 program?

Not at all. I DM'd Rob last week and introduced myself and asked if he minded me posting on this thread.

Not at all. I DM'd Rob last week and introduced myself and asked if he minded me posting on this thread.

As the guy who started this thread, I think at a minimum you should buy Rob's video so you can talk about his program. I would ask you if you're goal is to market your product/services that you do it in a separate thread. But otherwise, if Rob's ok with this, I also am.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

I really get so into the effort of a workout - I really like it, but I think I just push it to the limit. I actually think it's the swing that did it. I am much faster now than in a while and also much shallower. Something in that tweaked the back, maybe on top of muscles being tired.

Yes, heat! Went to chiro today, got adjustment, massage. Will do the ball against the wall. It's healing.

I'm the same way. Pretty laid back guy until I get into the gym. Then I definitely get into the zone. Not a gym socializer. It's hard to turn this off, too, so I understand where you're coming from. You'll be fine though!

As the guy who started this thread, I think at a minimum you should buy Rob's video so you can talk about his program. I would ask you if you're goal is to market your product/services that you do it in a separate thread. But otherwise, if Rob's ok with this, I also am.

I'm ok with him giving his thoughts on things already being discussed on here. I don't want things getting way off track though. I think we have a pretty good thread going on here. I have no idea if we see eye to eye on training, swing-speed, etc, but I guess debates can educate...

He did ask me though, to be fair.

I just purchased it last night and am stoked! I didn’t delve too far into the training but I have a question. I’d like to think I’m a reasonably decent player (5HC) but Driver is definitely my weakest part of my game. Does this training just solely focus on swing speed or through the training will it help develop a better swing overall?

Thanks in advance. I can’t wait to start

-Ship

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

I just purchased it last night and am stoked! I didn't delve too far into the training but I have a question. I'd like to think I'm a reasonably decent player (5HC) but Driver is definitely my weakest part of my game. Does this training just solely focus on swing speed or through the training will it help develop a better swing overall?

Thanks in advance. I can't wait to start

-Ship

Great question!

From the the feedback I've gotten so far, it seems to be helping people with their ball striking and accuracy even better than I expected. I believe this is due to three main reasons.

1) This program helps you shut off your mind and externally focus rather than thinking positions and technique and internalizing. It's amazing how are body will naturally adjust and get into position when we have the right mental concept of what we're trying to do/accomplish. However, without #2, that can only help so much.

2) Vastly improving people's range of motion. Let's be honest, if someone is physically unable to get into key positions, it's going to be nearly impossible to be a consistent ball striker. That's one thing I will say about this program. It's going to really improve your mobility, stability and overall athleticism. All of these things contribute to more physical freedom.

3) Increasing your swing-speed has a trickle down effect. If your top end number was 110 and now it's 115, swinging 75% is going to feel easier and your ability to control the club is going to be better because of less required output to achieve the same speed. Make sense?

So to answer your question, yes, I think the program can absolutely help improve your ball striking and accuracy.

Rob.

I just purchased it last night and am stoked! I didn't delve too far into the training but I have a question. I'd like to think I'm a reasonably decent player (5HC) but Driver is definitely my weakest part of my game. Does this training just solely focus on swing speed or through the training will it help develop a better swing overall?

-Ship

Great question!

From the the feedback I've gotten so far, it seems to be helping people with their ball striking and accuracy even better than I expected. I believe this is due to three main reasons.

1) This program helps you shut off your mind and externally focus rather than thinking positions and technique and internalizing. It's amazing how are body will naturally adjust and get into position when we have the right mental concept of what we're trying to do/accomplish. However, without #2, that can only help so much.

2) Vastly improving people's range of motion. Let's be honest, if someone is physically unable to get into key positions, it's going to be nearly impossible to be a consistent ball striker. That's one thing I will say about this program. It's going to really improve your mobility, stability and overall athleticism. All of these things contribute to more physical freedom.

3) Increasing your swing-speed has a trickle down effect. If your top end number was 110 and now it's 115, swinging 75% is going to feel easier and your ability to control the club is going to be better because of less required output to achieve the same speed. Make sense?

So to answer your question, yes, I think the program can absolutely help improve your ball striking and accuracy.

Rob.

Sounds perfect to me! I’m definitely looking forward to the increased flexibility! I’m terribly inflexible lol. I also had back surgery back in 2015 and have been a bit lazier than I had hoped in terms of strengthening my back and core. Thanks again and congrats on the success of this program so far.

TSi2 10* w/ Trono 65x set at C1

TSi2 16.5* w/ Trono 75x set at C1

TSi2 18* w/ GD Tour AD BB 7s set at C1

VEGA VDC-01 Raw 4-P w/ Modus 120S

Edel SMS 52 T Grind

Edel SMS 56 T Grind

Edel SMS 60 T Grind

LAB DF 2.1 w/ Stability Shaft

Bridgestone Tour BXS

-Ship

Great question!

Rob.

Sounds perfect to me! I'm definitely looking forward to the increased flexibility! I'm terribly inflexible lol. I also had back surgery back in 2015 and have been a bit lazier than I had hoped in terms of strengthening my back and core. Thanks again and congrats on the success of this program so far.

Good stuff and I appreciate it, thanks!

I just purchased it last night and am stoked! I didn’t delve too far into the training but I have a question. I’d like to think I’m a reasonably decent player (5HC) but Driver is definitely my weakest part of my game. Does this training just solely focus on swing speed or through the training will it help develop a better swing overall?

Thanks in advance. I can’t wait to start

-Ship

What I see is I am more stable and able to handle more speed as a result. Club motion is tighter at the top and transition and less motion laterally from lower body.

Range of motion. Should be a golfer’s cheer leading squad chant!

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Just thought I would add a couple of small points which Rob has mentioned earlier in this thread and which I think are worth bringing to attention :

1. Because of some health problems havn't been able to do much physically apart from the flexibility work ( which indeed has enormous benefits on its own ). But I have done a lot of work on grip strength and today over a few holes noticed what a difference this makes to the stability of the strike through the ball.

2. Rob also mentioned that he thought many players would benefit from a faster backswing, helping to create more swingspeed. Last few holes I experimented with this and did notice a considerable difference in speed and tightness of dispersion. So much for the old mantra of " low and slow " !

2. Rob also mentioned that he thought many players would benefit from a faster backswing, helping to create more swingspeed. Last few holes I experimented with this and did notice a considerable difference in speed and tightness of dispersion. So much for the old mantra of " low and slow " !

Great call out! I almost think one of the key points/fundamentals of all of this is the ability to support a faster turn away from the ball and resulting transition. I don't recall ever seeing any math/metric about the forces at play during the transition - the change of direction, weight/speed of the club, etc. but it tends to pull my arms out of position, making shaft steep, etc, etc. As I get stronger and more range of motion, the turn away/backswing is speeding up without screwing things up. This is a major focus of my attention these days.

There's one more place where all this seems to have a lot of influence - near impact. I am much more willing to really let it rip thru the ball now.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

In my search to find a strength program focused on golf I found this thread. I shied my best to read through all the earlier posts but didn't see my question asked before.

My situation is that I travel for work where I will be away working for 11 or 12 days then be home for the weekend. Sometime I am able to take my club's with me but 95% of the time I cannot. This combined with staying in hotels a majority of the time will this program still be benifical if I cannot do the swing drills? And is there any alternative way to do swing drills without my driver while in the road? Thanks.

I puirchased this programme a few months back but didnt start it due to getting lessons and working with a tpi instructor , my driver speed has gone from 95mph to 102mph.

In your honest opinion by following this programme for 12 weeks could i look at getting up to 110mph??

I work out 4 days a week following a fitness programme , I currently carry it about 240 yards with my driver , for some reason i can hit my 3 wood just as far

Looking forward to the feedback

I puirchased this programme a few months back but didnt start it due to getting lessons and working with a tpi instructor , my driver speed has gone from 95mph to 102mph.

In your honest opinion by following this programme for 12 weeks could i look at getting up to 110mph??

I work out 4 days a week following a fitness programme , I currently carry it about 240 yards with my driver , for some reason i can hit my 3 wood just as far

At 102 or 240 carry, you should be able to shoot mid to low 80s or better every now and then depending upon the rest of your game. I can hit my 3W as far as my driver, though it's pretty rare. Not sure what's going on there? Are they the same type of club? If they are different designs, then it's completely possible that your 3W is better fitted for you than your driver. However, I'd like to note that carrying a 3W 240 yards is pretty much perfect ball striking at 100mph or so?

As far as my progress is concerned, going from 104 to 109 has not dramatically improved my scoring, although it's easier for me now. The difference is hitting 7i on some 430 to 440 yard holes versus a 9i. If I practice a lot more with my shorter clubs, I would think that my score could go down. For instance, a 9i could be much more accurate than a 7i, but it's not as dramatic as many people would think. I still have to hit it 150+ yards with it.

At 102 or 240 carry, you should be able to shoot mid to low 80s or better every now and then depending upon the rest of your game. I can hit my 3W as far as my driver, though it's pretty rare. Not sure what's going on there? Are they the same type of club? If they are different designs, then it's completely possible that your 3W is better fitted for you than your driver. However, I'd like to note that carrying a 3W 240 yards is pretty much perfect ball striking at 100mph or so?

As far as my progress is concerned, going from 104 to 109 has not dramatically improved my scoring, although it's easier for me now. The difference is hitting 7i on some 430 to 440 yard holes versus a 9i. If I practice a lot more with my shorter clubs, I would think that my score could go down. For instance, a 9i could be much more accurate than a 7i, but it's not as dramatic as many people would think. I still have to hit it 150+ yards with it.

Hey mate

I used play off ten when i was 16 i gave up for nearly 13 years and only returned last summer, I had 46 points stableford playing off 18 and winter rules last sunday. Im much better then 18 but just getting back into it.

My putting can be my killer and chipping.

If you dont me asking how long did it take you to go from 104 to 109 and how many days a week were you doing the routine??

I lift weights 4 days a aweek but im going to focus on this routine now to increase my speed

cheers

If you dont me asking how long did it take you to go from 104 to 109 and how many days a week were you doing the routine??

I lift weights 4 days a aweek but im going to focus on this routine now to increase my speed

cheers

I did roller and lacrosse ball for two to three weeks in a row and did some speed training using a prototype resistance setup. Took about 3 weeks in total. I will amend that with my summertime warmed up swing speed has been about 108 for a 9 swing average. It seems like my average swing with limited warmup is about 109 with 9 swings. A couple in the 110+ range and a few a bit lower.

It takes a lot less effort to get more consistent speed. I think Rob is right that 110+ is possible now once I begin to see the effects of the strength building part of the program.

In my search to find a strength program focused on golf I found this thread. I shied my best to read through all the earlier posts but didn't see my question asked before.

My situation is that I travel for work where I will be away working for 11 or 12 days then be home for the weekend. Sometime I am able to take my club's with me but 95% of the time I cannot. This combined with staying in hotels a majority of the time will this program still be benifical if I cannot do the swing drills? And is there any alternative way to do swing drills without my driver while in the road? Thanks.

Hi,

There's a lot in the program. You can pick and choose what you want to work on but there's definitely something beneficial in there for 99% of golfers. Soft tissue and mobility work, grip strength program, total body strength training program, med-ball power program, swing-speed drills, swing-speed tips, nutrition, energy and sleep guide. I think you can definitely find something beneficial!

Without having something to swing, it's tough. If you can find some sort of device that extends and retracts into itself, you could probably swing that and be able to travel comfortably with it. Swinging anything is better than swinging nothing.

I'll try to think of something and let you know but there's plenty of other program benefits aside from the swing-speed drills.

Hope that helps!

Rob.

Just thought I would add a couple of small points which Rob has mentioned earlier in this thread and which I think are worth bringing to attention :

1. Because of some health problems havn't been able to do much physically apart from the flexibility work ( which indeed has enormous benefits on its own ). But I have done a lot of work on grip strength and today over a few holes noticed what a difference this makes to the stability of the strike through the ball.

Great! We've been taught "low and slow" for years. Why? Just another example of some fluff that somehow manages to stick around and turn into a golfing "absolute". Lot of nonsense out there. I'm not saying to rip your hands back like a complete lunatic but if maximizing swing-speed is what you're after, there should be significant speed in the backswing so you can create a stretch.