Drive 400 Distance Program .... my review

2. Rob also mentioned that he thought many players would benefit from a faster backswing, helping to create more swingspeed. Last few holes I experimented with this and did notice a considerable difference in speed and tightness of dispersion. So much for the old mantra of " low and slow " !

Great call out! I almost think one of the key points/fundamentals of all of this is the ability to support a faster turn away from the ball and resulting transition. I don't recall ever seeing any math/metric about the forces at play during the transition - the change of direction, weight/speed of the club, etc. but it tends to pull my arms out of position, making shaft steep, etc, etc. As I get stronger and more range of motion, the turn away/backswing is speeding up without screwing things up. This is a major focus of my attention these days.

There's one more place where all this seems to have a lot of influence - near impact. I am much more willing to really let it rip thru the ball now.

Great! A lot of this program was designed to help people externally focus so they stop consciously thinking about mechanics and positions so much. People don't realize how much the mind controls what the body does. When you externally focus and simply swing with maximum intent, a lot of things will take care of themselves.

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Rob... any ideas about what to do re getting real tight after about 12-14 holes? Legs/back - it gets hard to pick ball out of the cup and to make a swing. I stretch during round (I walk, push cart).

Is this about hydration/electrolytes/need food? Or more about mobility overall? I def have better range of motion but as round progresses it gets much worse.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Hi Rob,

I purchased your program recently and am excited to get started. I will try to post updates on my experience.

Thanks for taking the time to participate in this thread. It has been very informative.

I have noticed that my clubhead speed when not hitting a golf ball, is much slower than when I am hitting a golf ball. The fastest I can get to is about 102 for a practice swing, but I am able to easily and consistently swing at 110 on TrackMan, with ball speeds around 164. I believe this could be due to me holding the writ angles longer as well as having a longer swing when the golf ball is present.

Do you have any thoughts as to why this may be and would the speed drills still be of help, even if I can't get the speeds up to what I know I'm capable of when hitting an actual golf ball?

Thanks!

Steve

Hi Rob,

I have the physical limitation shown below (2 titanium rods screwed into my spine in 8 places with pedicle screws T11 - L3). As such I have some physical limitations, including not be able to do exercises that heavily axial load my spine (squats, deadlifts, etc) and rotating my lumbar area.

I was wondering if it would still be worthwhile to buy your program, or would a lot of the program be unobtainable for me?

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...

Rob- just purchased the program and had a question question regarding the order of each sessions. Would you be able to confirm that the below is correct and that you recommend doing both the Self-Myofacial Release and Mobility Work prior to both Training Swing Speed Drills and Strength Training Exercises?

Swing Speed Program

1. SELF-MYOFASCIAL RELEASE

2. MOBILITY WORK

3. Training Session

Strength Training

1. SELF-MYOFASCIAL RELEASE

2. MOBILITY WORK

3. 5x5 Training Session

Thanks

Just purchased the program and looking forward to getting started. I’m 33 and my current swing speed is right around or just below100mph. I’m hopeful that through training I can get it in the 110-115mph range. Also, I need to lose about 70 lbs. (currently 250) so am hopeful this program will assist me there as well (obviously nutrition is most important on that one).

Already have a question for Rob. In the speed swing training is there any benefit to using a lighter club if you already have one? I have the superspeed training clubs already so was unsure if I should use the one that is weighted similar to an actual driver or the lightest club that came with the set? Program looks great and I am excited to get started with it.

• 3 weeks later...

So can everyone confirm most workouts are 2.5 hours? Could you split it up or would you need 2.5 hours straight?

I am at about 1.25-1.5 for the foam roller, 50% of the stretching and the intermediate strength training work out of the day. Foam roller and stretching take a combined total of ~ 30 minutes: strength training 30-40minutes and 10-15 minutes of cardio. I am not doing the speed training but I don’t think that would add another hour. How long is each segment taking you to complete? I believe the foam roller is 15 seconds per body part, stretching is about a minute per stretch, strength training is 30second break between sets and 3 minutes between exercises.

So can everyone confirm most workouts are 2.5 hours? Could you split it up or would you need 2.5 hours straight?

I am at about 1.25-1.5 for the foam roller, 50% of the stretching and the intermediate strength training work out of the day. Foam roller and stretching take a combined total of ~ 30 minutes: strength training 30-40minutes and 10-15 minutes of cardio. I am not doing the speed training but I don’t think that would add another hour. How long is each segment taking you to complete? I believe the foam roller is 15 seconds per body part, stretching is about a minute per stretch, strength training is 30second break between sets and 3 minutes between exercises.

today was my first day. took me about 1 hour 45 minutes to do with some swim cardio on the back end. Really liked it.

Harob11, Q: I refuse to ever do anther barbell back squat secondary to a low back injury I had last year. I do these now:

what are your thoughts?

Thank you!

• 2 weeks later...

Started Day 1 of this yesterday. I am planning on doing the Advanced program with the Swing Speed stuff in there. Enjoyed it so far.

Little background about myself. Played lots of golf from ages 12-20 (probably 320 days a year 0-2 handicap). Slowly played less as I got older. 37 now with a 4 year old daughter. Have only played 5 times a year now. I am a PE teacher, personal trainer, and group fitness instructor. Followed mostly bodybuilding style workouts past 2 years (not a bodybuilder) along with teaching 6-10 fitness classes a week. My flexibility and mobility has gone to poop. Now that my daughter is older I am getting back into golf seriously, but also have a love working out. Found this program so it is perfect.

Few questions. Should I do the stretching and mobility everyday? Even not working days? The speed movements at 50% RM am I just focusing on moving the bar quickly? From my professional view this is a well put together program. I am currently contemplating getting TPI certified.

• 2 weeks later...

Just thought I would add my two cents about my experience with the programme having bought it last year.

Unfortunately some health problems have prevented me getting into it fully - plus I already have a very effective Strength programme and healthy lifestyle anyway. But I have managed a lot of the Flexibility/Mobility stuff on a regular basis and the very occasional Speed session.

I have to echo what Rob said earlier - just the doing Flexibility work on its own has led to increased swing speed, even though I was already doing 2 yoga sessions per week. Last week I noticed I was hitting a bit farther and out of curiosity checked my swing speed - was pleasantly surprised to find it's up to the low 90's again, which I hadn't seen for 10 years ( I'm 70 so it's only been going one way ). I can make a really full shoulder turn to generate extra power. And that's without any Speed training....

I have been paying a lot of attention to grip strengthening, which feels very important in enabling me to hang onto to the release, as well as supplying extra power. It now feels as though I have a "cruise " setting, which is my normal swing, and a " turbo "setting which I can call on if necessary. Yesterday for instance I hit my little 7 hybrid, normally my 140 metre club, 150 metres into a 2 club wind without losing control, as I needed some extra height to get it over trees. Also found another 10 metres on a 9 iron shot to a par 3. Nice !

Today I'm going to start the Speed work on a more regular basis and will report back over a few months. Great stuff Rob !

today was my first day. took me about 1 hour 45 minutes to do with some swim cardio on the back end. Really liked it.

Harob11, Q: I refuse to ever do anther barbell back squat secondary to a low back injury I had last year. I do these now:

what are your thoughts?

Thank you!

It's a good exercise. Don't feel like you need to have your back leg super elevated if it's really uncomfortable though.

This is a unilateral exercise vs a bilateral exercises so the load you're able to do will be far less, but that's still far better than a) doing nothing and b) hurting yourself.

Just thought I would add my two cents about my experience with the programme having bought it last year.

Unfortunately some health problems have prevented me getting into it fully - plus I already have a very effective Strength programme and healthy lifestyle anyway. But I have managed a lot of the Flexibility/Mobility stuff on a regular basis and the very occasional Speed session.

I have to echo what Rob said earlier - just the doing Flexibility work on its own has led to increased swing speed, even though I was already doing 2 yoga sessions per week. Last week I noticed I was hitting a bit farther and out of curiosity checked my swing speed - was pleasantly surprised to find it's up to the low 90's again, which I hadn't seen for 10 years ( I'm 70 so it's only been going one way ). I can make a really full shoulder turn to generate extra power. And that's without any Speed training....

I have been paying a lot of attention to grip strengthening, which feels very important in enabling me to hang onto to the release, as well as supplying extra power. It now feels as though I have a "cruise " setting, which is my normal swing, and a " turbo "setting which I can call on if necessary. Yesterday for instance I hit my little 7 hybrid, normally my 140 metre club, 150 metres into a 2 club wind without losing control, as I needed some extra height to get it over trees. Also found another 10 metres on a 9 iron shot to a par 3. Nice !

Today I'm going to start the Speed work on a more regular basis and will report back over a few months. Great stuff Rob !

Thanks. This is great! Well done. Most people, especially older people, have club-head speed in them that really doesn't require too much effort to unleash. Do as much of the program as you can. It's all beneficial.

Keep it up!

Rob.

Started Day 1 of this yesterday. I am planning on doing the Advanced program with the Swing Speed stuff in there. Enjoyed it so far.

Little background about myself. Played lots of golf from ages 12-20 (probably 320 days a year 0-2 handicap). Slowly played less as I got older. 37 now with a 4 year old daughter. Have only played 5 times a year now. I am a PE teacher, personal trainer, and group fitness instructor. Followed mostly bodybuilding style workouts past 2 years (not a bodybuilder) along with teaching 6-10 fitness classes a week. My flexibility and mobility has gone to poop. Now that my daughter is older I am getting back into golf seriously, but also have a love working out. Found this program so it is perfect.

Few questions. Should I do the stretching and mobility everyday? Even not working days? The speed movements at 50% RM am I just focusing on moving the bar quickly? From my professional view this is a well put together program. I am currently contemplating getting TPI certified.

It really can't hurt. Do it as often as you can but definitely make sure you do the foam rolling and mobility exercises prior to any swinging or lifting.

Rob.

Also are we supposed to do Med Ball shot put from both sides, or just from our dominant side

Both, time permitting.

Just purchased the program and looking forward to getting started. I'm 33 and my current swing speed is right around or just below100mph. I'm hopeful that through training I can get it in the 110-115mph range. Also, I need to lose about 70 lbs. (currently 250) so am hopeful this program will assist me there as well (obviously nutrition is most important on that one).

It will definitely help will all of your goals, provided you follow the program closely.

Best of luck. Keep us posted!

Rob.

Hi Rob,

I have the physical limitation shown below (2 titanium rods screwed into my spine in 8 places with pedicle screws T11 - L3). As such I have some physical limitations, including not be able to do exercises that heavily axial load my spine (squats, deadlifts, etc) and rotating my lumbar area.

I was wondering if it would still be worthwhile to buy your program, or would a lot of the program be unobtainable for me?

Thanks!

Hi. I replied to you in a PM.

Thanks.

Hey Rob... any ideas about what to do re getting real tight after about 12-14 holes? Legs/back - it gets hard to pick ball out of the cup and to make a swing. I stretch during round (I walk, push cart).

Is this about hydration/electrolytes/need food? Or more about mobility overall? I def have better range of motion but as round progresses it gets much worse.

Hey man,

Hydration for sure. Keeping your body temperature up is another. Jumping jacks to help with blood flood. You can also look into purchasing "The Stick" - https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=the+stick - You can do this while waiting to tee off on each hole or while waiting to putt or in the cart, etc. It's all good stuff.

Hope this helps.

Rob.

Arm circles and hamstring stretches also work.

Sorry I thought I quoted post above but it didn't work out.

Hey guys, I've enjoyed reading all the Q&As. So you know where I am coming from, I am a Physical Therapist. I appreciate Rob's advice about hydration, blood flow, and the rest. But based on what little bit I have to go on in the OP - I would look at front to back control. All our joints and muscles work in synergy - being that when muscles on one side of a joint are [contracting] getting shorter, the muscles on the other side must get longer. Typically when I see folks whose complaint is tightness I begin looking at the other side of the joint along with the synergistic movers.

I am willing to bet that you are overactive in your hamstrings and erector spinae - and underactive in your gluteals and deep core. I would also look at your warm up routine pre-round to see if you are priming the muscles for golf or if you are taking them 0-100 and they are fatiguing.

Hopefully, that makes sense - I'm happy to elaborate or clarify if you have any questions.

• 3 weeks later...

Ok, time to give some long term feedback. (See my thread swing speed of the Senior gods).

When I started this program my ss was mid 80’s. Now, 12-15 months later it’s mid 90’s.

I did modify the program mainly because the full application was nearly 2 hour workout and I was in the gym 4-5 days a week which led to injury.

So now I do 2 main things. I stretch daily incorporating several of the mobility stretches and rolling with some yoga poses. Lot of focus on the hips. And I do planks daily. Then strength is now just squats, dead lifts, bench press and rows.

I have increased range of motion and am stronger. Been at it injury free for 4 months now and love it. At 66 little things like picking ball out of the cup without squatting are totally rewarding.

Where I have veered from Rob’s notion is I continue to take lessons and no doubt this temporarily slows ss down. But when I start trusting what I have and go after it - I saw legitimate ss at 100 yesterday on my little radar unit. And hit the ball square and flush.

So ... that’s my story. For you seniors like me, don’t be the maniac I was at first - go light, go slow and build. Mobility daily. And then knock the hell outta the ball.

Great stuff Rob! Kudos to you!

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

• 5 months later...

I use parts of it. The whole regimen is time consuming. But I have backed off - I end up getting so sore that I can’t sleep. Back, hips just ache all the time. Been think I might need to see doc to see if it’s arthritis or something but I think it’s sold tissue strain. I’m about to re-start but will try again to be moderate as I can be.

Great program, though.

TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W