2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

How old must golf clubs be to be considered a classic?

Is there an age restriction where a golf club or set can be called a classic?

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it just be age or a club that was a game changer? Big Bertha, TM 510, Eye 2's sort of clubs?

I've always liked the idea that a club would have been considered a game changer in its time, but that can be pretty subjective depending upon who's doing the classifying. Chronological age seems to be less prone to interpretation, but the dividing line can be subjective. In the end it's whatever you choose to make of it.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Robot-

It remains a matter of personal preference.

Joe Clements "Classic Golf Clubs- A Pictorial Guide", and Bobby Farino's " American Golf Classics- Golf Club Collectors Handbook" are two guides one could use for reference.

Incidentally, Farino calls PING Eye 2 irons classic.

Yet-

Taylor Made used the Classic Designs of

MacGregor Wingback Irons from the '50s in 2003, and Ben Hogan Precision Irons from the '50s in 2013-

Both of these "Classic" iron models were made RH and LH in the '50s, Taylor Made chose to limit the new models to RH ONLY.

Wilson Golf made both their FG 59 Tour Blade, and their FG 100 Forged Iron model, Celebrating 100 years in golf- RH ONLY.

While the Ben Hogan Golf Company reluctantly made LH iron models, the new Ben Hogan Golf Company did not offer a LH golf club.

Anything prior to Callaway's Big Bertha Driver is my line.

How long does it take music to be classic? Heck 80's music is playing on oldies stations these days. I think it is a little different with golf clubs. As in when technology makes leaps. I'd be interested to hear how others lump eras. This is a rough, off the top of the head, thought: Hickory shafts (150 to 80 years old?).Early steel with persimmon woods (70 to 45years old). Refined steel shafts, still wooden head woods, high quality forged blades (45 years to 30 years old) Anything newer than this wouldn't be classic. First metal woods, perimeter weighted irons such as Ping eye 2 and Taylormade Pittsburgh Persimmon (30 years to 15 years ago). These are tweener clubs, not classic, no longer modern, say yesterday. And everything since COR is modern.

For all practical purposes, any club that doesn't comply with the USGA 2010 groove rule for USGA competitions, is an out dated club.

Collecting is one thing, but playing is another. For me, if it doesn't comply - it's an antique.

Another possible criteria is lofts, which have changed from 52* PW, to the current 45-46* PW lofts - same changes throughout the whole set.

Texsport

Mizuno GT180 10.5*/Graphite Design Tour AD IZ 5 X
Tour Edge Exotics CB F2 PRO 15.5* Limited/Speeder 757 EVO 7.1X (Gene Sauers club)
Titleist 915 18*/Fubuki K 80X
Titleist 913 Hybrid 21*/Tour Blue 105X (Matt Jones' club) (OR) TM Burner 4-iron/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Wilson Staff V4 5 and 6/Aerotech Fibersteel 110 S
MacGregor PRO M 7-PM/Aldila RIP 115 Tour S
Edel 50*/KBS 610 S
Scratch JMO Grind Don White 56*/DG X-100
Cobra Trusty Rusty Tour 64*/DG S-200
The Cure CX2 putter

How long does it take music to be classic? Heck 80's music is playing on oldies stations these days. I think it is a little different with golf clubs. As in when technology makes leaps. I'd be interested to hear how others lump eras. This is a rough, off the top of the head, thought: Hickory shafts (150 to 80 years old?).Early steel with persimmon woods (70 to 45years old). Refined steel shafts, still wooden head woods, high quality forged blades (45 years to 30 years old) Anything newer than this wouldn't be classic. First metal woods, perimeter weighted irons such as Ping eye 2 and Taylormade Pittsburgh Persimmon (30 years to 15 years ago). These are tweener clubs, not classic, no longer modern, say yesterday. And everything since COR is modern.

If I write a piece of music in the classical style today is it not classified as classical music?

The same could be said for golf clubs in that replicas are considered conforming for competition in SoHG sponsored events. Most report that Tad's replicas are more playable than actual vintage hickory clubs. Are they modern or hickory sticks?

I consider the clubs in my signature bag to be "classic", but they are decidedly modern being from 10 to 20 years in age (with the exception of my putter which is a '71 model).

Want something a little more age appropriate; then consider my blades and persimmon set consisting of '87 Golden Ram Axial Tour Grinds and early '80's PB Citations.

Transition set; then I've got a set of Eye 2 clones and BB War bird metal woods.

I've played authentic hickories once. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but as an on-going fancy, the price of admission is pretty steep for the occasional foray.

Lots to choose from whether you call them vintage, classic or just plain old. I like them all and I think that each set is representative of an era during which I played at golf to one degree or another. That's why I said it is what you make of it.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

For all practical purposes, any club that doesn't comply with the USGA 2010 groove rule for USGA competitions, is an out dated club.

Collecting is one thing, but playing is another. For me, if it doesn't comply - it's a antique.

Another possible criteria is lofts, which have changed from 62* PW, to the current 45-46* PW lofts - same changes throughout the whole set.

Texsport

Tex-

Glad you're back- even for a little while.

Find out anything on that LH Wood Bros Graphite shafted Texan?

If I write a piece of music in the classical style today is it not classified as classical music?

The same could be said for golf clubs in that replicas are considered conforming for competition in SoHG sponsored events. Most report that Tad's replicas are more playable than actual vintage hickory clubs. Are they modern or hickory sticks?

I consider the clubs in my signature bag to be "classic", but they are decidedly modern being from 10 to 20 years in age (with the exception of my putter which is a '71 model).

Want something a little more age appropriate; then consider my blades and persimmon set consisting of '87 Golden Ram Axial Tour Grinds and early '80's PB Citations.

Transition set; then I've got a set of Eye 2 clones and BB War bird metal woods.

I've played authentic hickories once. Thoroughly enjoyed it, but as an on-going fancy, the price of admission is pretty steep for the occasional foray.

Lots to choose from whether you call them vintage, classic or just plain old. I like them all and I think that each set is representative of an era during which I played at golf to one degree or another. That's why I said it is what you make of it.

Hmm. Classical style is different than an original piece that is now a classic. Remade would be retro. One club I have that I enjoy using is a TaylorMade Retro Raylor 16*. It is getting old itself now, but it was a remake of the first TaylorMade Raylor. So I don't think replicas are anything more than replicas. They may be awesome, they may be legal for use in such events as you mentioned, but they are not originals and shouldn't be considered as such. That's a nice set up in your sig. I've never hit a Sonartec, but I do still have an Hogan SI BECU (both the first one with the pin, and the remake without) and Ping Zing that I enjoy putting in play once in a while. Ironically I just gave away my Nickent 3DX Hybrids, TaylorMade R7, and Hogan Apex PCs. Those were solid clubs for sure!

Classic is always a tricky thing to pin down. Age is legitimately a factor, and so too is the "gamechanginess" of a groundbreaking design. "Instant classic" isn't necessarily a contradiction in terms. Personally, I lean towards Scomac's point about classic also being a style. Think '99 Apex, MP33s, the last iteration of Aussie Blades or even RAC MBs. Too recent to qualify on age, not especially radical in design - but not unreasonable to describe them as classic blades. All were designed to appeal to players who had grown up with clubs that would meet the age criterion and were looking for something similar.

Robot-

Joe Clements "Classic Golf Clubs- A Pictorial Guide", and Bobby Farino's " American Golf Classics- Golf Club Collectors Handbook" are two guides one could use for reference.

Yet-

MacGregor Wingback Irons from the '50s in 2003, and Ben Hogan Precision Irons from the '50s in 2013-

Both of these "Classic" iron models were made RH and LH in the '50s, Taylor Made chose to limit the new models to RH ONLY.

Wilson Golf made both their FG 59 Tour Blade, and their FG 100 Forged Iron model, Celebrating 100 years in golf- RH ONLY.

While the Ben Hogan Golf Company reluctantly made LH iron models, the new Ben Hogan Golf Company did not offer a LH golf club.

Sooo, We're agreed.

Classic Clubs are Right Handed only!

:taunt:

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

A very loose definition is any club that your average playing partners decry as too outdated to play, and loudly and incessantly insist you are losing distance, accuracy, etc by playing them even though you are beating them all by at least 5 strokes with them.

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Question: If the Ping Eye 2 considered classic clubs, what is the Ping Eye? Junk? Prototype? I'm curious, because I have 4-9 with the original shafts.

The Ping eye and the Karsten 1. 2, & 3's preceding them were all good clubs. Karsten was so far out in front of the curve it was ridiculous. All of them are Classic. Honestly I don't concern myself much on what anyone else thinks... on much of anything anymore.

Question: If the Ping Eye 2 considered classic clubs, what is the Ping Eye? Junk? Prototype? I'm curious, because I have 4-9 with the original shafts.

The Ping eye and the Karsten 1. 2, & 3's preceding them were all good clubs. Karsten was so far out in front of the curve it was ridiculous. All of them are Classic. Honestly I don't concern myself much on what anyone else thinks... on much of anything anymore.

That's good. I was afraid I was going to have to throw them away... ;-)

Since I got my "classic" set of 845's (1988, pat pending) a couple months ago, I've coupled them up with a GBB driver, an older Callaway 3W (not 25 years old), and a Bulls Eye putter.

As good as anything made today.

Usually play the 4,7,PW, and SW, along with the 2 woods and putter. Seven clubs for my minimalist kit is the limit. I could leave out the SW, but it's been kind of fun hitting those high shots like Phil. (I'm lefty.) If I'm lazy, I'll leave out the driver.

Play well!

Robot-

Yet-

Sooo, We're agreed.

Classic Clubs are Right Handed only!

:taunt:

Not really....

Bob Charles '63 Open win, and Greensboro Open win (both in playoffs)

Sam Adams '73 Quad Cities win with Ben Hogan Apex irons

Notable in the fact that Classic Clubs were offered in both RH and LH, while remakes and Centennial offerings strangely are not.

Brian Harman was already a USGA Champion (USGA Junior), and was trying to join those who have won the USGA Junior and the US Open.

Incidentally Rex I really enjoyed watching Harman play at the Open, great swings are great no matter which side of the sphere they are on! Nothing against Koepka I just don't like the straight muscle game much (maybe because I'm weak out on the course ?) and Harman's game really fit my eye...what would the kids call that, #oldmanproblems maybe?

IMHO in no way shape of form would a set of Ping Eyes be considered junk. The Eye 2s were more popular and had a longer production run. They still have a cult following in fact the two friends I played today are still playing Eye2s. The Eye2s were an engineering marvel IMHO again and that is coming from a confirmed Macgregor blade man. I do not know anything about the playing characteristics of either since I have never played them. I did mess with some of the wedges but they never fit my eye (no pun intended). But just because they do not fit my eye does not mean they are anything less that what they are which is an engineering marvel. They also command high resell value on E-Bay (the eye2s that is)

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

IMHO in no way shape of form would a set of Ping Eyes be considered junk. The Eye 2s were more popular and had a longer production run. They still have a cult following in fact the two friends I played today are still playing Eye2s. The Eye2s were an engineering marvel IMHO again and that is coming from a confirmed Macgregor blade man. I do not know anything about the playing characteristics of either since I have never played them. I did mess with some of the wedges but they never fit my eye (no pun intended). But just because they do not fit my eye does not mean they are anything less that what they are which is an engineering marvel. They also command high resell value on E-Bay (the eye2s that is)

Yep, fully agree....eye2s will go down as probably the best club ever made. In fact in about 100 years eye 2s will still be being played

Yep, fully agree....eye2s will go down as probably the best club ever made. In fact in about 100 years eye 2s will still be being played

I will agree with that and to boot they will not be worn out. I can hear it now "no one can wear these things out Grandpaw tried Dad tried and now I am trying" Or the biggest fight in the family when Dad passed was not who would get the real estate holdings etc but who would get Great Grandaddy's Eye 2s" :taunt:

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

I will agree with that and to boot they will not be worn out. I can hear it now "no one can wear these things out Grandpaw tried Dad tried and now I am trying" Or the biggest fight in the family when Dad passed was not who would get the real estate holdings etc but who would get Great Grandaddy's Eye 2s" :taunt:

Or grandaddys BeCu eye2s....will be fisty cuffs over them!

When wooden heads were replaced that starts modern equipment for me and pre-Tommy Armour Silver Scott irons or possibly prior to that for irons. At any given time at our local muni you will find several sets of Ping Eye irons in play. That goes for any course in Arizona.

Bettinardi BB8 Reserve 300 pcs. 33"

Byron Morgan 615 33"

Stu-

Hilarious stuff there!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

I use science and formulas to determine things like middle age or when someone is considered a senior or "classic."

For example, what is the age someone is considered a senior?

Sa = S1(a)+1

Where:

S(a) = Senior age

S1(a) = Soloman1's age

It's right because there's a formula!

i don’t need no stinkin’ shift key