2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

NJ Country Club Help

gogolamt

Hello. My wife and I are relatively new to the North Jersey area and are looking to join a country club again. We have it narrowed down to the following clubs as we are looking for a full country club experience with tennis, paddle, pool, food etc:

North Jersey CC

Spring Brook CC

Glen Ridge CC

Morris County GC

Essex County CC

Plainfield CC

Fiddlers Elbow CC

Roxiticus GC

If anyone has any insight, recommendations, or can help put these into tiers that would be very helpful. In addition, I have not played the courses either do course, driving range, practice area insight would be great as well.

Thank you very much in advance.

You have a nice list of courses there. If it were up to me I would pick Plainfield CC, great Donald Ross design, I played there prior to relocating to FL last year. My father belonged to Fiddler's Elbow years back when it was corporate, in fact my wedding reception was there. Nice facility, 54 holes, but cannot be compared to Plainfield IMO. In the same area I would look into Somerset Hills CC also. I would put Essex County 3rd after Plainfield and Somerset Hills.

I don't have any experience with the other clubs, but I think proximity to work or home should be a big factor. We would only go to Fiddler's Elbow on the weekends, but I would find myself at Plainfield to use the range or a quick 9 after work or early on the weekends before family obligations much more.

Hello. My wife and I are relatively new to the North Jersey area and are looking to join a country club again. We have it narrowed down to the following clubs as we are looking for a full country club experience with tennis, paddle, pool, food etc:

North Jersey CC

Spring Brook CC

Glen Ridge CC

Morris County GC

Essex County CC

Plainfield CC

Fiddlers Elbow CC

Roxiticus GC

If anyone has any insight, recommendations, or can help put these into tiers that would be very helpful. In addition, I have not played the courses either do course, driving range, practice area insight would be great as well. Thank you very much in advance.

After Plainfield joined the Barclays/ Northern Trust rota, membership became full with multi-year waiting list. However, if you applied in early 2k then rates were cheap with no waiting. Of course you still need to be recommended. Otherwise anyone can play the orginal 9holes across the street that is now called Plainfield West.

Most of Plainfield has been pushed to lengthening limits for pga standards, from 6.0k to 7.1k from tips. Many tees are old school literally connected next to the green. Course was made harder with new grass planted post 2011 Barclays. Ball settled deep in thick rough.

Course has multiple blind and semi-blind shots to the green. As this is a Ross course there notable green defenses, plateuing and canting. Canting caused some pros a big level of fustration including a few euros.

Won't call plateuing as extreme as Pinehurst #2, but don't miss the green. Each hole green has a side never to miss or pay heavy penalty.

There are sizeable elevation changes where course knowledge esp. from the caddies are invaluable. All the caddies seemingly have the same yardage watches and arr on top of their game. They rl know the yardage/ breaks and are top3 caddy staff in NJ.

Local knowledge pays off when the wind blows as course is @top of Watchung Mtn ridge, same as Baltusrol. There are several vistas where you can see manhattan and when clear, well over 100miles.

Most of course has old growth, mature trees that line many fairways. There are some flatter or downhill holes. Be in shape as the last few holes are all uphill and a grind after the par5.

18th is a driveable, uphill par4 around a big tree on the left. It played 324 uphill when DJ won the Barclays in 2011. He put it on the back fringe and won his 1st big tournament.

Day won in 2015, driving bombs 380yds and sinking bombs to 50ft.

Clubhouse w/ patio overlooks 9th green and is next to 1st & 10th tees. Its a classic old bldg. with plenty of history and trophies. Food has always been vg everytime I've been there and rates to zagats vg level.

Haven't used the other amenities as I'm usually only there for the golf, PGA playoffs -Barclays/Northern Trust, outings and other events.

a Cobra KingLtd 9* Black Smoke 6.5 45"
b Ping g400 9* SpeederPro TSx84 45"
c TM 17M1 460 9.5* Matrix BlackTie X 45"

Titleist TS2 15* Hzrdus Green S 1"tip
Cobra BafflerPro19* SpeederProS .5"tip
Cobra Baffler RailH23* SpeederProS

a Callaway Apex 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
b Callaway x20 Tour 5-pw ProjectX 6.0 +.5"
Vokey Sm7 raw aw51*, sw56*, lw60*
Cameron FuturaX SuperStroke Fatso5.0

Roxiticus, while not on the same level as Somerset, Trump etc. (prestige and size), is truly a hidden gem. Challenging 18 holes with lots of elevation changes and strategy involved. A course I love to play and one that never gets old. Also a great family club with pool, tennis etc. and friendly staff. Only downside would be the recently renovated clubhouse. Very small and has more of a hotel feel than golf club. Also, due to length and severe elevation changes, it is primarily a riding course, though there are some caddies. Would highly recommend taking a drive out there to check it out. You'll be amazed by some of the views as well as the private feel of the course.

I worked at Springbrook ~10 years ago as a lifeguard and my parents live down the street. The club is beautiful: ~6,600 yards from the tips, a couple holes over 2 different lakes, tennis courts, pool, kids camps, etc. In addition to your normal driving range with practice bunkers and putting green, there's also an entire short-game "hole" somewhere on the back 9. I always get a laugh when they have outings, usually Morristown BMW or Menham Audi sponsors and parks a car right up on the 10th hole tee box. I also just looked on their website and found out they now have an indoor training facility with simulators and a putting green.

I know every club does fireworks, but Springbrook really goes over the top. They shoot them right over the main lake in front of the clubhouse, and close off the best seats for the members (along with an all day pool and bbq party).

Not sure what the other places are like, but Fiddler's Elbow has 3 courses?! And fly fishing!?

Not sure what the other places are like, but Fiddler's Elbow has 3 courses?! And fly fishing!?

Fiddler's Elbow is a nice family type course located next to Trump Bedminster. Have been there for golf, outings & event. They have a nice set of on-going activities for the membership.

Fiddler's is a nice mid-level course but not on level of the 100top of Plainfield and Somerset. Its moderate length and rough isn't too deep but pretty thick.

Yes they have 27holes. They rotate 1nine out everyday depending on usage, weather & outings.

Some parts have/are changing as its now the new hq of MET -ny/nj starting for 2017 season.

You also might want to consider Somerset Hills CC as its on the level of Plainfield. It hasn't been lengthened and doesn't have the long waiting list. It definitely has vg, active tennis group and pool use. Fyi, Tilly designed this course and requires strategy and thinking your way around the course.

http://www.somersetcc.org

On the mid-level, try Basking Ridge CC. Its usually open for members and promotes lots of family activities you are considering. The golf is pretty rigorous but not on pga level.

http://www.baskingridgecc.com

Montclair?

Ridgewood

Canoe Brook

So many great courses, but obviously the family activities at each need to be addressed, as well as the commute

Montclair 36h Ross then RT Jones/Rees on regular retainer as they lived/worked a few miles away.

Many tournaments from the Dow Open PGA, NFl classic Sr. and Shop Rite Classic LPGA for a few yrs when usual course was under construction.

For NJ, course has a low amount of trees and is more open. For the area, elevation is low. No greens aren't plateaued like #2. Actually many greens are minimally raised. Rough isn't that deep but is thick.

UMCC is vg course but not on level of Plainfield or Somerset Hills. V nice clubhouse.

Would put Ridgewood/ Plainfield 1st, Somerset Hills 3rd and UMCC 4th.

Fyi, in 2016 Montclair merged with Rock Spring which is 3miles away. Rights are shared between the clubs.

http://www.mgagolf.org/news/2015/january/montclair_rockspring_merger

and

https://www.njsga.org/communications/news/mergermgc16/

Ridgewood 27h Tilly design on the Barclays/ Northern Trust rota. Entire course closes as a composite course is formed some 8wks before. Some holes are covered by tents and others left quiet. Best clubhouse of this 2nd list.

Holes are a great mix of length, strategy and unique designs that appeal to a wide range of players. Lots of mature, thick and tall trees sometimes form a "hall" by tilly design for strategy & elegance. Some tree clearing has been done. Its been fun walking 18 w/ pros each time barclays has been onsite. Big range of ways to play the course. 2 examples:

3rd hole "Gorilla" (east 3rd) par5 has 30yd neck w/ ob left challenging drivers before fescue covered Tilly mounds splitting fairway. Very few pro reached this in 2 despite most going for it.

6th Nickle & Dime "Scoonie" (center 6th) par4 80ft uphill 270-320yd is a classic strategy vs brawn hole. last 60yds is all uphill deep thick rough. Green is narrow sideways green w/ rl steep bunker front & back.

Phil is famous for going for it and putting tee shot onto astroturf balcony behind the beverage tent for 1st & 2nd round. Pros would regularly score eagle to quint-bogey. This hole always extremely popular viewing.

Good luck getting in. Its always been tough even before the Barclays. Always in the high end for Bergen County.

http://www.rcc1890.com/Default.aspx?p=dynamicmodule&pageid=407401&ssid=334322&vnf=1

Good pick of Canoe Brook. Course holds its own with many of the top nj courses. Although course was changed when I-280 & Short Hills Mall were constructed, Canoe is tough and well respected. Met tournaments are always hard to score well. As course has been updated & lengthened it will hold up to most golfwrx'ers. Each 18 is quite different.

North course -half is thickly tree line and other half is more open. As a Travis w/ Rees update, seems suited for bomb & gouge w/ good short game.

South course -Allison is often overlooked when your partner w/ Colt & MacKenzie.

Course has more strategy, doglegs architectural features and is an interesting desig.

Family wise you might have picked best mix of family & golf with reasonable cost.

https://www.canoebrook.org/club/scripts/section/section.asp?NS=PG

Does anyone have any insight into Morris County Golf Club?

Have been passing this old club for decades as friends live next door. Its shoehorned in by Traction line/ Patriots Path and Punch Bowl Rd.

The former JCP&L hq is on other side of RR. Its down the st from: The Madison Hotel/Rod's Steakhouse, Convent Station (RR stop) & block from rt24.

Recall its a Raynor design of moderate length, typical county length. Layout is fairly hilly and well rolling. Routing is pretty straight except for 2 doglegs (1left & 1right).

There are 2 lakes next to each other, one small and a moderate size. The larger has a tee shot carry over on a dogleg and is on the left for a par3. The smaller lake affects tee shots on 2 holes as lake on the side of each fairway.

Bunkering is low for tee shots but for greens ranges from none to all sides. Most greens have at least one or two side completely protected by multiple bunkers.

Fairways seem well defined and towards narrow side. Some fairways have narrow necks near tee shot location and a few have a bunker on one side of the fairway.

Most of course is treeless. There are patches of tree and lone trees. On a 2or3 holes, trees line one side of a fairway.

Conditions are always appear vg even when there has been drought in area. Course never seems to get that much play. Rarely see anyone playing at least from the road.

Don't recall many changes other than the driving range in c2011.

you say that but I would highly recommend a club that is in the area you are planning to move. a club being 8 minutes away is a big difference versus 35 or 40. Obviously canoe brook is right there but I believe there is a wait list. Balty is also close by but no family amenities. you want to be close so you can pop in and play 9 or just go to the pool or hit the bar for a drink before dinner. if your club is a long drive you wont use it to its full extent.

you say that but I would highly recommend a club that is in the area you are planning to move. a club being 8 minutes away is a big differentz8ce versus 35 or 40. Obviously canoe brook is right there but I believe there is a wait list. Balty is also close by but no family amenities. you want to be close so you can pop in and play 9 or just go to the pool or hit the bar for a drink before dinner. if your club is a long drive you wont use it to its full extent.

For most of the top clubs in nj, unless you have a friend and/or connection who will vouch for you don't count on getting in.

Balty, Plainfield, Ridgewood & Trump are all well north of 100k application and have multi-yr waiting lists. These clubs are/want to be top100 in us, are in demand & priced accordingly.

Somerset, Canoe and few others have waiting lists but are short and much lower initiation fee.

Many of the other courses mentioned are open and/or considering membership. Golf in nj has also been shrinking. Several courses have closed and suspect more will soon.

• 2 weeks later...

Montclair?

Ridgewood

Canoe Brook

So many great courses, but obviously the family activities at each need to be addressed, as well as the commute

Never introduced myself to you, but my name is Dave and I live in NJ and would love to play with you sometime if you're up for it. Nothing fancy. That would be awesome.

• 3 weeks later...

you say that but I would highly recommend a club that is in the area you are planning to move. a club being 8 minutes away is a big differentz8ce versus 35 or 40. Obviously canoe brook is right there but I believe there is a wait list. Balty is also close by but no family amenities. you want to be close so you can pop in and play 9 or just go to the pool or hit the bar for a drink before dinner. if your club is a long drive you wont use it to its full extent.

For most of the top clubs in nj, unless you have a friend and/or connection who will vouch for you don't count on getting in.

Balty, Plainfield, Ridgewood & Trump are all well north of 100k application and have multi-yr waiting lists. These clubs are/want to be top100 in us, are in demand & priced accordingly.

Somerset, Canoe and few others have waiting lists but are short and much lower initiation fee.

Many of the other courses mentioned are open and/or considering membership. Golf in nj has also been shrinking. Several courses have closed and suspect more will soon.

I know its obv very very expensive and has a waitlist etc., but do you know if Baltusrol has a junior membership option out of college or is it only junior legacies? If so, is it a reduced initiation or pay over a certain number of years etc.? I know its a lofty goal but it would be nice to know what it takes money wise

I know its obv very very expensive and has a waitlist etc., but do you know if Baltusrol has a junior membership option out of college or is it only junior legacies? If so, is it a reduced initiation or pay over a certain number of years etc.? I know its a lofty goal but it would be nice to know what it takes money wise

Here's an outline. Baltusrol requires knowing 8 members for at least 3years. Rate listed has gone up a bit.

https://njmonthly.com/articles/jersey-living/going-clubbing/

Plainfield price has gone up but they are back to considering members.

fyi, link doesn't work.

https://www.njsga.org/membershiphome/ebenefits/club-memberships/

North Jersey CC

Spring Brook CC

Glen Ridge CC

Morris County GC

Essex County CC

Plainfield CC

Fiddlers Elbow CC

Roxiticus GC

If anyone has any insight, recommendations, or can help put these into tiers that would be very helpful. In addition, I have not played the courses either do course, driving range, practice area insight would be great as well.

Thank you very much in advance.

While it isn't a private club, have you considered becoming a full member at Crystal Springs? You get access to SIX courses, THREE pools, a gym, etc.

• 4 weeks later...

Maybe this writeup will help your decision. It's a basically accurate, few years old description of many area courses.

http://www.newjerseyhills.com/where-to-play-golf/article_5ab9d226-0014-597a-afd1-1890c6192657.html

Maybe this writeup will help your decision. It's a basically accurate, few years old description of many area courses.

http://www.newjerseyhills.com/where-to-play-golf/article_5ab9d226-0014-597a-afd1-1890c6192657.html

That article was from 2003. No mention of Wild Turkey or Ballyowen. They're is also a relatively new club/course here in Morris county called Black Oak. Very good golf course and golf instruction along with a brand new clubhouse.

• 3 weeks later...
My Husband and I belong to Panther Valley G&CC. Its a great Robert Trent Jones, Sr. course. It was bought out in 2014 by a single owner so there were no assessments or initiation fees, which is nice to know what you are paying every year exactly. Low activity of play so there is never a wait for a tee time.

I live near there, that's a great course. Was thinking of joining, but for the same price I can join Crystal Springs and get 6 courses to play.

Are there any private clubs in Northern Jersey where members can carry their own bags? Seems like cart or caddies is where most clubs are.

There always have been some courses that allow carrying. Often its the courses that still have caddies.

Many courses still allow jrs to carry. Its often result of jrs rules that require carrying. Most course also don't expect jrs. to have the same finances as their parents.

Are there any private clubs in Northern Jersey where members can carry their own bags? Seems like cart or caddies is where most clubs are.

The problem is the terrain here in northern NJ. Outside if a few county courses, most in this area are all cart.

At the private courses in NJ that require a caddie if you want to walk and don't let you carry your own bag, it has nothing to do with the terrain, it's about the club wanting to maintain a traditional caddie program. IMHO it's an expensive, distracting luxury that I do not need, especially on my home course, therefore it's why I joined a club where I live that lets me carry my own bag anytime.