2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Golf Recommendation for Denver

bsteven43

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here are some ideas. Keep in mind that this late in the summer, there will be quite a bit of burn on any of the courses.

Meadows Golf Club

Nice track with some challenging greens and rough. Be careful walking around in the tall fescue due to rattlesnakes.

Arrowhead Golf Club

Amazing course wrapped around the vertical stone of the hogback. This is one of the premier courses of colorado. $$$ but defnintely worth it for the scenery and challenge of the course.

Racoon Creek

Another good course. Fast fairways and faster greens.

Lone Tree Golf Club

This is my home course and it features some very nice terrain built throughout the course. The front side is flatter and more of a prairie type course. You'll have 3 blind shots (2, 4, and 8) off the drive. The back 9 is much tougher with many more blind shots with twists and turns through homes and up the Daniels Park hills. The course is in great shape with well manicured fairways and rough. For the money, this course is tough to beat.

Fossil Trace

I've heard phenominal things about this course and I can't wait to play it.

Google is you friend:

Golf Courses around Littleton, CO

For the budge conscious:

http://golfcolorado.com/coupons.php

Hope this helps

-Kinger

Two best courses near Littleton are:

#1. Fossil Trace Golf Club - Golden (west Denver suburb) http://www.fossiltrace.com/

#2. Highlands Ranch Golf Club - Highlands Ranch (south Denver suburb) http://www.highlandsranchgolf.com

I just played both of these courses a couple of weeks ago and both are in tremendous shape. Fossil Trace is tricked up and challenging but an awesome experience. Highlands Ranch Golf Club is a little more forgiving. Have fun!

Taylormade SIM2 Max 10.5* Driver - Aldila Rogue 70s
Taylormade M6 16.5* HL Fairway - Aldila Rogue 80s

Cobra King TEC Utility 3U 19* - Aldila Rogue 80s
Cobra King Tours 4-PW - DG AMT White S300
Titleist SM9 50* & 56* wedges - DG S400
Taylormade Spider GTX Putter

Originally from Littleton and visit 2 times a year as my parents still live there. Out of all the ones mentioned above, I think Fossil Trace would be my first recommendation. Very unique Jim Engh layout that plays through old limestone mining fields. Hole 12 actually has old triceratops fossils right near the green.

Out of the others, I actually used to work at Racoon Creek, and it is quality course that offers a good challenge. Meadows is a nice county course, but a definite notch below Fossil. You may also want to look at Fox Hollow in Lakewood. It has three different 9 hole courses and is always in good shape. The Canyon / Meadow combination is the best, so you may want to call and see what the two nines are planned on the day you are playing.

Please feel free to PM with any questions.

• 2 years later...

I just played Redhawk Ridge, another Jim Engh course, I thought it was one of the funnest, most scenic courses I've played. Lots of elevated tee shots, huge greens and sand traps. It wasn't as tricked up as Fossil Trace and was in great condition. It plays shorter than its yardage due to all the downhill tee shots. Great closing hole in #18. I will play it again.

• 7 months later...

I know this is an old thread, but I just got back from another trip to Denver on which I played Arrowhead, Bear Dance, The Ridge at Castle Pines and Red Hawk Ridge (all South of the city), and Common Ground closer to the city at Lowrey. I would recommend all of those courses. Here is a link to photos of the courses:

[url="http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157631938905759/"]http://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/collections/72157631938905759/[/url]

and here is a link to my favorite denver area courses:

[url="http://golfcourses.weebly.com/denver-colorado.html"]Top Denver Area Golf Courses[/url]

• 3 weeks later...

Just played Arrowhead yesterday, greens were perfect! The most scenic course I've been on and a good golf course too. Now it is an all inclusive course, includes food, drink, range balls (no woods on range, too short), and all things non-alcoholic. We had lunch, golfed 18 and then supper, food was really good. GPS in the carts, yesterday was the first day for GPS, helps, don't want to hit driver on many holes as it is just too much club, you really need to know your distances and account for the 6000 ft. altitude or you will airmail greens and doglegs. One course I look forward to playing again.

• 1 month later...

I'm headed out to Denver at the end of the month for a wedding turned golf trip. Already planning to play:

-- Murphy Creek (Aurora)
-- Fossil Trace (Golden)
-- Riverdale Dunes (Brighton)

I need to find another course located north or northwest of Denver. I'm currently considering:

-- Colorado National (Erie)
-- Hyland Hills, Gold Course (Westminster)

I'd definitely welcome any thoughts on these courses or any others in the general vicinity that I should look at.

Many thanks!

[quote name='hr24' date='30 June 2010 - 09:27 AM' timestamp='1277911641' post='2546757']
I'm headed out to Denver at the end of the month for a wedding turned golf trip. Already planning to play:

-- Murphy Creek (Aurora)
-- Fossil Trace (Golden)

I need to find another course located north or northwest of Denver. I'm currently considering:

I'd definitely welcome any thoughts on these courses or any others in the general vicinity that I should look at.

Many thanks!
[/quote]

Murphy is my home course and it's in good condition right now, [u]except[/u] they're having some trouble with portions of several of the greens (reportedly the result of the severe treatment during the 2008 publinks). They're not at all unplayable (I played a tourney there this past Saturday) but they're not perfect. If this scares you off, consider Saddle Rock, which is about 10 minutes south of Murphy along C470 and also a strong course.

Up north, I'd play Heritage Todd Creek (which is a fantastic track just northeast of Denver) before I played Colorado National or Hyland Hills.

Have fun.

[quote name='whitemb' date='30 June 2010 - 10:43 AM' timestamp='1277912603' post='2546802']
Murphy is my home course and it's in good condition right now, [u]except[/u] they're having some trouble with portions of several of the greens (reportedly the result of the severe treatment during the 2008 publinks). They're not at all unplayable (I played a tourney there this past Saturday) but they're not perfect. If this scares you off, consider Saddle Rock, which is about 10 minutes south of Murphy along C470 and also a strong course.

Up north, I'd play Heritage Todd Creek (which is a fantastic track just northeast of Denver) before I played Colorado National or Hyland Hills.

Have fun.
[/quote]

Many thanks for the feedback on the area courses and the status of Murphy Creek. A couple more questions if I can:

1. If I don't play Murphy Creek and am flexible on location, would you recommend I play Saddle Rock, Arrowhead, Bear Dance, Buffalo Run, The Ridge at Castle Pines or any other course in the metro area I'm not already playing?
2. I haven't heard of Heritage Todd Creek. Looks like a strong track. Do you recommend it over Legacy Ridge in Westminster?

Thanks again.

-- Howard

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='hr24' date='30 June 2010 - 01:16 PM' timestamp='1277925379' post='2547241']
[quote name='whitemb' date='30 June 2010 - 10:43 AM' timestamp='1277912603' post='2546802']

Have fun.
[/quote]

Many thanks for the feedback on the area courses and the status of Murphy Creek. A couple more questions if I can:

1. If I don't play Murphy Creek and am flexible on location, would you recommend I play Saddle Rock, Arrowhead, Bear Dance, Buffalo Run, The Ridge at Castle Pines or any other course in the metro area I'm not already playing?
2. I haven't heard of Heritage Todd Creek. Looks like a strong track. Do you recommend it over Legacy Ridge in Westminster?

Thanks again.

-- Howard
[/quote]

Sorry for the delay in responding.

1. Of the courses you mention, Bear Dance, The Ridge and Arrowhead are the premium courses. Of the three, I prefer Bear Dance, but each is a great track that will not disappoint. Saddle Rock is less expensive and less spectacular. I've haven't played BR in the last couple years because the conditions were horrible the last time that I played there - I've heard from other folks that the conditions are still poor. Saddle Rock is one of the best values in the Denver area IF you can get out in the morning - afternoon tee times can result in a 5+ hour round.
2. I would play Todd Creek over Legacy.

Fossil Trace, play it anytime im in Denver. It is easy access, affordable, Jim Engh, and has great views. I always wonder why there arent more "mountain view" courses in Denver. This one is a great course.

Callaway Mavrik SZ 9*
PING LST 14* 
Callaway Epic Flash SZ 18*
PING Blueprint 4-PW
PING Glide 2.0 54*
Titleist SM7 58*
Nike Origin B2-01

[quote name='hr24' date='30 June 2010 - 09:27 AM' timestamp='1277911641' post='2546757']

-- Murphy Creek (Aurora)
-- Fossil Trace (Golden)

Many thanks!
[/quote]

Colorado National is a great course with great views! I would highly recommend playing that one.

I would also consider Heritage at Westmoor, it is also a very good track and hosted the US Open local qualifier this year.

• 2 weeks later...

Out of any course in the Denver Area you would want to play in order.

-The Ridge ( probably a little bias because I live on the course )
-Bear Dance
-Riverdale
-Arrowhead ( for the views, not the golf )

I wouldnt recommend Murphy Creek as much as everyone else does. It is nothing great, and if you do play it, play in the morning because it gets a little windy out there later in the day.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='mlesser' timestamp='1280229834' post='2601649']
Out of any course in the Denver Area you would want to play in order.

-The Ridge ( probably a little bias because I live on the course )
-Bear Dance
-Riverdale
-Arrowhead ( for the views, not the golf )

I wouldnt recommend Murphy Creek as much as everyone else does. It is nothing great, and if you do play it, play in the morning because it gets a little windy out there later in the day.
[/quote]

Holy smokes, great looking homes at the ridge!! Which hole is your house on??

[quote name='hr24' timestamp='1277925379' post='2547241']

Have fun.
[/quote]

Thanks again.

-- Howard
[/quote]

I would play Bear Dance and The Ridge. Not sure about Buffalo Run. Arrowhead is ok. Like someone else posted, awesome views, but golf is so-so. Another I would add to that list is Plum Creek in Castle Rock. It's a Pete Dye track and used to be a TPC course.

• 2 weeks later...

I will be back in Denver around mid-late October maybe even first part of November, and would love to get with a local wrx-er to play a few of the local courses in the area. Fossil Trace looks pretty good, but outside of that, I am clueless as to what courses to play. I play to around a 5 hcp. Thanks

PING G430 LST 9* 
Srixon 13.5* 
Adams LS 19* 
Srixon ZX7/ZX5 Nippon Tour 125s
Odyssey Backstryke blade 
PING/Cleveland 54* 58*

• 3 weeks later...

If you are on the North side of town another vote for The Heritage at Westmoor. It is a links style sister course to Legacy Ridge, both with the same superintendent. The Heriatge was in awesome shape this year after hosting the US Open Local qualifier. Info and pics of Westmoor and Legacy Ridge here [url="http://www.golfwestminter.com"]www.golfwestminter.com[/url] .

[quote name='evanseze' timestamp='1282448670' post='2654217']
I will be back in Denver around mid-late October maybe even first part of November, and would love to get with a local wrx-er to play a few of the local courses in the area. Fossil Trace looks pretty good, but outside of that, I am clueless as to what courses to play. I play to around a 5 hcp. Thanks
[/quote]

If you want to play south part or south of Denver, hit me up. I live in Colorado Springs, which is about a hour south of Denver.

I would love to play with you but my wife is due in the middle of October and wouldn't want to commit to anything. I have played pretty much every public course in the metro area. Here is how I wold rank them.

[b]Best overall not considering price:[/b]
Bear Dance- I really like this layout, it is a little better than Ridge at Castle Pines (A great course as well)
Fossil Trace- a great course to play a couple of times per year. It is definately tricked up and I don't think I would want to play it all the time but I always take out of towners there.

[b]Best Value[/b]
Riverdale Dunes- Not the most breathtaking course by any means but you can't play a better conditioned challenging track in the area for $20 more than you will pay for Riverdale Dunes.
Fox Hollow- I am little biased because this is my home track. It is always in good shape and has a lot of elevation change and is challenging. I just with their greens had a little more undulation they are pretty flat.

If you have any other questions PM me.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='asianplow' timestamp='1281378954' post='2628174']

Have fun.
[/quote]

Thanks again.

-- Howard
[/quote]

I would play Bear Dance and The Ridge. Not sure about Buffalo Run. Arrowhead is ok. Like someone else posted, awesome views, but golf is so-so. Another I would add to that list is Plum Creek in Castle Rock. It's a Pete Dye track and used to be a TPC course.
[/quote]

I wouldnt recommend Plum Creek to anyone. It has become a Dog Track and isnt in the best shape as they cant hold any members. One of my buddies tried it out last summer and made it a month as they where offering free memberships and he got out as soon as possible. I played with him a few times out there and they have really let that place go from what it used to be. A example of this is on the 17th hole that is like most Dye courses have a short par 3 surrounded by water the water was half full and the water hazzard looks like it became a trash can.

[quote name='dirtyboy' timestamp='1282481548' post='2654488']
I just played the Ridge at CP North, actually liked Red Hawk Ridge better. It is still worth playing though. I played Arrowhead early this year and the course was in perfect condition, great value as I ate 2 meals and played one round.
[/quote]

I am a fan of Red Hawk Ridge as well, as it is a very good track and is a great place to shoot a low score as both 1/18 should play as long par 4's and not par 5's. I think last time I played there on hole one. I hit Driver / 58 degree wedge and I played the tips. I think I drove 2 of the par 4's as well. I believe hole 2 and 9 if I remember right. Always nice to start Eagle/Eagle. I do not hit the driver more then 300 as well. But, to put Red Hawk ahead of the Ridge I just can't agree with you on.

One of the major issues I have with Red Hawk is they just pack the people on there. It always seems like I am waiting on every hole everytime I play there.

The Ridge has one of the best deals in the Denver area with their "Super Pass" I would highly recommend checking it out.

[quote name='dirtyboy' timestamp='1292180279' post='2837065']
I'll never play on the weekend near Denver, when we played Red Hawk, we didn't see another golfer until hole #11 but when we played RCPN, we waited on every hole after #6. That could be why I didn't enjoy RCPN as much because I detest waiting.
[/quote]

Weird, because their Tee Times are about 10-12 mins apart unlike Red Hawk that is around 6 mins. You are smart, I would never play Red Hawk on a weekend.

• 2 months later...

[quote name='mlesser' timestamp='1292167302' post='2836774']
[quote name='asianplow' timestamp='1281378954' post='2628174']

Have fun.
[/quote]

Thanks again.

-- Howard
[/quote]

[/quote]

I wouldnt recommend Plum Creek to anyone. It has become a Dog Track and isnt in the best shape as they cant hold any members. One of my buddies tried it out last summer and made it a month as they where offering free memberships and he got out as soon as possible. I played with him a few times out there and they have really let that place go from what it used to be. A example of this is on the 17th hole that is like most Dye courses have a short par 3 surrounded by water the water was half full and the water hazzard looks like it became a trash can.
[/quote]

I agree that Plum Creek has had rough times. I didn't start playing out there til summer of 2010, and the course is in great shape. The lake is still more or less drained with some trash in there, but the course is in great shape. I ended up playing in the first annual Castle Rock City in Oct last year, and it was a blast. Weather was a little crappy, but course was in great shape. Because of their problems with holding members, you can get some great daily rates there and it's not crowed at all.