2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Golf Life After ACL Reconstruction Surgery

Just found out that what I thought was a meniscus tear suffered on July 8th is actually a meniscus tear.

Has anyone here had experience with coming back to recreational golf after ACL reconstruction? How long was it until you could chip and putt? Hit balls? Make full swings? Actually play? Is there much risk of re-tearing down the line?

By way of background I'm 31, right handed and the ACL tear is in my left knee.

[font=courier new,courier,monospace][b]Titleist[/b] 915 D3 8.5* w/Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
[b]Taylormade[/b] R9 15* w/Graphite Design Tour AD BB7
[b]Titleist [/b]712U 2 Iron w/[color=#333333][size=2][background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]Graphite Design Tour AD Utility Driving Iron 95g[/background][/size][/color]
[b]Titleist[/b] 712 AP2 3-PW w/Dynamic Gold S300
[b]Titleist [/b]Vokey SM5 58* w/Dynamic Gold S300
[b]Titleist[/b] Vokey SM6 50/54* w/Dynamic Gold S300
[b]Titleist [/b]Scotty Cameron Studio Select Squareback No. 1
[b]Titelist[/b] Prov1x[/font]

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just found out that what I thought was a meniscus tear suffered on July 8th is actually a meniscus tear.

Has anyone here had experience with coming back to recreational golf after ACL reconstruction? How long was it until you could chip and putt? Hit balls? Make full swings? Actually play? Is there much risk of re-tearing down the line?

By way of background I'm 31, right handed and the ACL tear is in my left knee.

I tore mine when I was 29. You can almost start putting when they unlock the brace - at that time of therapy(6 weeks post op), they want you to put as much weight on the leg as possible.

Started chipping at day 90. Played 9 holes at around day 135 and played first full round at day 150.

I've torn my left Acl twice in the last 4 years. Started playing after 5 months on the 1st one and with the rehab I was doing it was like I never missed a beat. Tore it again in March of 15 and didn't want to give up a whole season, so I played the whole summer without getting it fixed. You're not going to hurt an Acl swinging a club, but be careful on uneven ground and going in and out of bunkers and stuff like that.

Titleist TSR3 10* Tensei 1K Black 65

Titleist TSR2 16.5* Tensei 1K Black 75

Ping G425* 19* Tour 85

Ping i230 4-PW DG 120

Titleist SM9 50F/54S/58M

PXG Closer or Taylormade Spider Tour

Titleist Pro V1

I don't like all these stories of tearing them multiple times or each knee!! LOL

Thanks for the responses thus far

[font=courier new,courier,monospace][b]Titleist[/b] 915 D3 8.5* w/Aldila Rogue Silver 60 S
[b]Titleist [/b]712U 2 Iron w/[color=#333333][size=2][background=rgb(246, 246, 246)]Graphite Design Tour AD Utility Driving Iron 95g[/background][/size][/color]

I tore mine in 1992, and complication was the tip of the tibia broke off. I was playing 5 or 6 months later. Hard part actually was crouching to read putts and getting my ball out of the hole. Left knee and I'm right handed.

No problems since. Good luck, and do your rehab like a madman.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

I tore mine in 1992, and complication was the tip of the tibia broke off. I was playing 5 or 6 months later. Hard part actually was crouching to read putts and getting my ball out of the hole. Left knee and I'm right handed.

No problems since. Good luck, and do your rehab like a madman.

Thanks! The consensus from what I've heard from others who've gone through it is that you have to take hr rehab very seriously and diligently.

• 5 weeks later...

Thanks just had surgery last Friday. Things went well, definitely feel better than I did a week ago

Had ACL reconstruction and meniscus trim in Nov '08 on right knee (age 41). Rehab seemed to go well and I skied a bit on it in the spring. Started playing golf left handed that summer (June '09), initially with mid-irons down, then full set. On a hilly course in late June, felt uncomfortable (slight knee instability) on a swing and switched over to right handed for the rest of the round and played a limited amount the rest of the summer right handed.

Injured the right knee again in May '11 and had ACL revision (2nd reconstruction) and meniscus repair. Surgeon said he saw no signs of the 1st ACL graft saying he was not sure if it had been gone for 1 month or 2 years. With the meniscus repair, they did not want weight on it for the first 5-6 weeks and I was much more patient with the rehab. Didn't play golf that summer and didn't ski again until spring '12. Got back into left handed golf summer '12 and won the Copper Creek Club Championship summer of '13. Knee has felt much more stable after 2nd surgery than the 1st and gives me 0 issues on the course.

I'd recommend listening to your PT and surgeon. Be diligent about rehab, but be patient about twisting and uncontrolled activities. I've been told that although the knee starts to feel better around month 3, that is actually when the ACL graft is weakest going through a period where it breaks down before rebuilding. I had a cadaver (allograft) both times. What type of graft did you guys have?

I had my surgery (right handed, right knee) in 2010 at age 47. Doc told me five months for golf and eight for basketball.

I was on the golf course after three( but basically playing one legged, right foot back and on my toe). I think it was probably close to the full eight before I was back playing normally. My buddy kept telling me I played better when it was torn but not fixed. What an a**!?��

• 5 months later...

Had surgery 9/1/17. Rehabbed pretty hard - just played about 7 holes in a golf simulator with full speed swings. Knee didn’t cause any issues, felt like I picked up exactly where I left off. Very pleased.

Had surgery 9/1/17. Rehabbed pretty hard - just played about 7 holes in a golf simulator with full speed swings. Knee didn’t cause any issues, felt like I picked up exactly where I left off. Very pleased.

Make sure you still keep up with the exercises you were prescribed in PT. Emphasize glute training as strengthening the glutes will help offload the pressure on the knee and the glutes are the most important muscle in the golf swing.

Depending on the type of graft you had, you may be more susceptible to reinjury. Recent studies have shown that allografts are upwards of 70% more likely to re-tear within 1 year compared to autografts (allografts are muscles/tendons taken from a cadaver and autografts are taken from your own body). I don't mean to scare you, and I am glad you are feeling great. Make sure you still keep up with the strengthening even though you're excited to finally be able to golf.

When I have my golfers return to play, I typically start them on a progressive interval training regimen. I don't know if your doctor prescribed you one but I will provide a link for you to refer to if you are interested. With the knew dynamic forces being applied to the knee in the golf swing and the repetition of such, do not be surprised if you are more sore than usual. If a golfer wants to return to golf and gets clearance by the doctor, it's important to start slow. I advocate flaring the left foot outward more than you usually do as to not put excessive rotation forces of the tibia on the femur and visa versa to still protect the ligament.

http://www.joshheenan.com/files/Interval%20Sports%20Programs.pdf

Cobra King F9 Speedback 9PX EvenFlow White T-1100 6.5-X 75g

Cobra King F9 Speedback Baffler Tour 4-5 17.5GD Tour AD TP-8x

Cobra King RAD Speed 21*  UST Mamiya Recoil ESX 480 F5

Callaway '09 X-Forged 4-5i  PX Flighted 6.0

Titleist 910H 27Oban Kiyoshi Purple 05 100
Cobra S3 Pro Forged CB/MB 6-PW  TT DG TI S400
Titleist Vokey Sm7 52/58*  TT DG S200
Bettinardi  '19 Queen B #6  35"

Titleist AVX/ProV1-V1x

• 4 years later...

Apologies for digging up an old topic

I just had ACL reconstruction (allograft) 8 days ago. First PT appointment was last night. So far it’s been far less painful than I imagined it would be, but I know that doesn’t mean anything. 

I’m hobbling around with the brace and no crutches around the house here and there. Using the crutches when I get tired or go outside. Doing my PT exercises too. 

Im a PGA pro, working in banking now. Wondering if I’ll be able to play at all this summer. Any thoughts from those of you who went through it already?

Right handed and left knee. 

Edited by freddy1682

I actually picked up golf because a torn ACL ended my hockey career. and my body wouldn't let me do much else. Had an allograft, cadaver achilles since I was too old to use my own hamstring. My rehab wasn't THAT bad but it took a long time for me to trust the knee again, didn't feel like 'mine' for about 18 months and the first 9 months or so you're always questioning every little thing, phantom pains, tweaks, etc. Leg muscles start to atrophy very quickly so initially it's about getting those back. As far as golfing this summer it'll be about listening to your body I'd imagine.

I've had 2 back surgeries and the ACL in between them, the knee was the worst of the three. There will be lots of doubt and internal concerns for a while but that's totally normal. I recommend taking rehab very seriously and come to terms with your knee never being the same again, it'll continue to improve for a long time but there will be days where it swells a bit, aches, etc.  I tore my right ACL and swing right and prefer to walk when it's not too hot, my surgery was over 10 years ago and it doesn't bother me at all on the course now. 

Darkspeed X 9* w/Diamana D+

Cobra King LTD 17* w/Diamana S+

PXG 0311T Gen3 GW-4 w/Modus 105

TM MG3  52* , Wilson HT 56*, Reg 588 Zip 61*
PhantomX 5.5

Athletic trainer here…I would say you probably won’t or shouldn’t be taking a full swing for close to 6 months.   You should be able to start putting first then work your way up to chipping and pitches.   Communication with your surgeon is key and following his/her rehab protocol will set you up for the best outcome.  I know it may feel good before you really are good but that front leg has so much force going through it and you rotate hard on it which would be a solid no no for a new acl tear.  Take your time the last thing you want to do is re tear it.  Good luck!  Ps I tore mine 20 years ago and still going strong.

Driver -  Callaway Paradym 🔷🔷🔷 9 degree with GD UB 6S

3 Wood- Cobra F9 with Fujikura Atmos blue 5S

5 Wood - Cobra F9 with Fujikura Atmos blue 5S
Hybrid - Cobra F9 22 degree Fujikura Atmos blue 5S
5 & 6 Irons - Srixon Z545
7 - PW - Srixon Z745
Wedges - Bridgestone J15 50* and 54* and Callaway PM grind 58* and 64*
Putter - LAB Golf mezz max broomstick, LAB Golf DF 2.1 armlock, LAB golf 2.1 standard length 

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
On 3/16/2024 at 5:15 AM, NixLix26 said:

I have ACL surgery March 21st , right leg, right handed golfer.  
So it is reading like 6 months at least.  
sheeesh

Nix how’s the recovery going?  I’m going under next week and have delusions of playing this summer.  My swing is very left leg dominant (I use right leg for balance not power) and I’ll just ride in a cart…. - have been joking you don’t need a right leg to play right handed - look at Tiger!