I tried the new 718 AP2's and AP3's

KirkNo-yes

I saw an AP3 7-iron for the first time in a Golf Galaxy today. I compared it to the AP2 (718). The AP2 is a bit more compact, and the AP3 has a slight bit more offset.

But this was interesting: there was a used set of AP2 714 nearby, and I compared the AP3 7-iron to the 714 AP2 7-iron. To my eye, the blade length looked the same! So they have shrunk the blade of the AP2 on the 718, at least according to what I saw today.

I have 7-iron to PW in the AP2 714 model. I always use the PW, and 9-iron. In the summer I also use the 8-iron, and sometimes the 7-iron. (My other set is AP1 712.) So for me, the AP3 will integrate easily with my AP2 PW. I will probably get the 7, 8, 9 in the AP3, and continue to use 5 and 6 AP1.

By the way, the new AP1 looks very good as well. For a 9 handicap like my, the AP1 probably makes the most sense. But I do like the AP2 PW.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So far with almost 3 full rounds in I would say that I am very happy with the performance of the Ap2s coming from the 716s they're pretty much the same in terms of distance, the longer irons seem to be slightly more forgiving on mishits. I tend to miss on the toe and they still maintain a solid distance when missed. If you currently have he 716s not sure if it's worth the upgrade as the main improvement is aesthetics. Overall I am satisfied but if I was paying retail I would have stuck with the 716s.

Thanks for the feedback! I really love the look of the AP2, can I ask why did you go with the AP3 instead of the TMB??

Well, if you are asking me, the AP3 fits in between the AP2 and AP1. I am an AP1 guy in longer irons for sure (6-iron, 5-iron). I can play, and enjoy the feel of the AP2 9-iron and PW. So the natural slot between those should be the AP3.

By the way, I have no problem with the relative chunkiness of the AP1 6-iron and 5-iron. And I have always preferred those over the Ping G series, which I find too offset, and mostly too light.

Unseen, in the background, Fate was quietly slipping the lead into the boxing-glove.  P.G. Wodehouse

Just did a fitting, currently playing 714 ap2. Went in for the 718 ap2s. Felt great but just didn't seem worth the upgrade, the ap3 was a different story. Was super surprised how much they looked and felt like the ap2s in my opinion. Ball speed was much higher and launch was easy to control. Going to have order a set cuz they were way better then I thought... going with 4-p, like the new Amt tour whites but still haven't found anything better for me then trusty dg s300

Has anybody tried soft-stepping last years AMT (or this years AMT White)?

After three fairly open minded trial sessions, I intend to go AP3 5i and AP2 6-P. I have experience with last years AMT in 716 AP2 (6-P) and MB (7-P) in both Stiff and Reg. I can play both reasonably well but seem to get slightly more consistency from the Reg and slightly better ball flight when playing solidly from the Stiff. I'm thinking about soft-stepping the Stiff once. Thoughts?

Orrrr hard steppig the reg? Lol.

Just did a fitting, currently playing 714 ap2. Went in for the 718 ap2s. Felt great but just didn't seem worth the upgrade, the ap3 was a different story. Was super surprised how much they looked and felt like the ap2s in my opinion. Ball speed was much higher and launch was easy to control. Going to have order a set cuz they were way better then I thought... going with 4-p, like the new Amt tour whites but still haven't found anything better for me then trusty dg s300

that seems to be a pattern here, even reviews state 718 AP2's LOOK better but numbers similar to 716 AP2.

AP3 however seem to be a game changer for us mere amateurs.

I've steered clear of 714 and 716 AP2 thinking 718 AP2 will be much better, the look IMO is definitely much better from the back but I think I'm erring towards the AP3 and I've not even seen one in the flesh lol

I did a fitting yesterday in your Golf Club with a Titleist Guy. My current iron set is a 716 AP1 5-PW with KBS Tour 90 regular, before a played Ping i25, Titleist AP2 and CB, Mizuno MP58. What i liked about the AP1 was, very forgiving Club and because of the Loft and MOI 1 club longer than before. And because of this i was very interested in the new AP3 to keep the distance and ad a little bit more spin.

Visuell the AP2 looks better, smaller more compact.

My SS 7i is between 80-83 mph. I started with the new AP1, much nicer i think a cleaner design than my 716 AP1, good distance but more clicky than my 716 AP1. Than we switched to the AP3, compact head, shorter blade length, better feeling, no clicky sound at impact.

We started with AMT red, high Ball flight, than Nippon Modus 3 much better, more stable shaft, Mid Ball flight, than AMT Black stabile shaft lower ball flight and noticeably heavier than the AMT red. And at least, Nippon 880 AMC, perfect shaft for me, high Ball flight, very good distance and very good spin rate at about 6.220-6.300 rpm with range balls. Carry distance about the same as with my old AP1 at about 160 yards but about 700 rpm more backspin!

The AMC is right between the AMT black and red feel wise. I think it´s the standard shaft of the C16 irons.

I also ordered a 23 H2 Hybrid with the project X Even flow shaft. What a Hybrid or what a shaft, carry distance now with range balls about 197 Yards with a very high Ball Flight, love it!!! This new Hybrid is about 17 Yards longer than my old 24 degree 915 Hybrid!

loving this thread. going to hit the ap3's and 818's this afternoon i hope if the weather holds. should probably just go with the ap3's, but have been toying with the idea of ap3/ap2 split set, but not sure which irons to bend... the titleist rep had a neat chart that i forgot to take a picture of that had a few different options on where to break the set apart and which clubs to bend and how much but i haven't seen it posted anywhere ....

SIM 2 9° AD IZ 6X
SIM Ti 3w 15° AD DI 7X
SIM Ti 5w 18° AD DI 7X

SIM2 Rescue 4 22° Nippon GOST X

RSi UDI 4 DGTI 120 S400
P7MC 5-PW DGTI S400
MG 52, 58 DGTI S400
Spider Tour Copper 34"

Woohoo. New toys! Just got fitted at a Titleist demo day into AP3's. AP3's looked much better in person than I expected. Look very similar to AP2s at address with more offset in mid to long irons (nothing AP1 like though). They are virtually identical head size to my MP-64's which I am keeping but leaning against the wall for now. Was looking for all the things you want in a players club - enough spin, traj control (low to high), versatile sole (not too wide or too high bounce), some workability (not my top priority though) and decent look and feel. More distance an appreciated bonus. AP3 ticked all those boxes for me perhaps because I came to them as a high spin player (was about 8500 with my MP64 7 iron today) and the AP3's brought my spin down to about 1k below the number which is about right since a 7 iron in AP3 is effectively a 6 iron so should spin circa 5500-6000. I am going to use a higher spin ball (330S) - I think that will make it about right and will work with my woods which spin on the low side. Really liked the AP3. Never thought I would buy a cast club again but they feel great - not MP64 good but good. A pretty penny to buy them however. But, what the heck. Was fit into the low launch, low spin side of shafts on their charts. Ended up 1/2 inch over, 2 flat (that surprised me a bit but made sense since my miss is definitely a pull) and PX 6.0 (did not like the AMTs white or black). Going 4-GW (48 degree). Went GW because the PW is ridiculously low loft (43) and it would have been too big a jump to my MD3 50. So, now I will be AP3 PW, AP3 GW and then 54 MD3 and 58 PM. Just have to get my mind around the club I am pulling - a PW is actually a 9, a 9 is actually an 8, ... but, once I get that, it should all work.

Now the waiting...

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

sounds good. I also hated the amt shafts from the 716, didnt think the 'new' amt would be any better but I'll still try it.

I still think I'll love the ap2 in the fitting but out on the course the ap3 sounds like the game changer. Nice to hear the sound isnt as bad as I feared, is it beter than the callaway apex 'click'?

I really can't say if it is better than the Apex clickiness - haven't hit the Apex. But, coming from MP64's, I was not offended by the noise. More of a thwack sound to my ear. They sound and feel nice to me, just not as awesome as MB our MP sound and feel.

• Callaway Epic Max LS 10.5; Mitsubishi Diamana TB 60 S; 45.5”
  • Taylormade SIM Max 3w and 5w; Mitsubishi Diamana BF 70 S; 43.25” & 42.25”
  • Mizuno '21 CLK 19, 22 & 25; Fujikura Speeder EVO 75 HB Graphite S; Std L/L/L; sub for 5w, 4i & 5i
  • PXG 0311 P GEN3 PW-4i; Aerotech Steelfiber i95 stiff ; Std L/+0.75"/2 up
  • Vokey SM9 50F8 & 54S10 and SM8 58M8; Mitsubishi MMT 105 S in 50 & KBS 610 Wedge R+ in 54 & 58; Std L/+0.75"/1 up
  • Odyssey White Hot OG #1 Stroke Lab Putter; 35/74; stock Odyssey grip
  • JumboMax JMX UltraLite small on all clubs except putter

sounds good. I also hated the amt shafts from the 716, didnt think the 'new' amt would be any better but I'll still try it.

I still think I'll love the ap2 in the fitting but out on the course the ap3 sounds like the game changer. Nice to hear the sound isnt as bad as I feared, is it beter than the callaway apex 'click'?

Here's what I was told regarding the new amt's from a local fitter I know.

AMT Red = XP95

AMT Black = XP115

AMT White = Original AMT

that seems to be a pattern here, even reviews state 718 AP2's LOOK better but numbers similar to 716 AP2.

AP3 however seem to be a game changer for us mere amateurs.

I've steered clear of 714 and 716 AP2 thinking 718 AP2 will be much better, the look IMO is definitely much better from the back but I think I'm erring towards the AP3 and I've not even seen one in the flesh lol

The new ap2s look better then any of the previous models imo but performed the same as my 714s from the numbers I got. I love my ap2s and have tried the new srixons for a few months and went back to the 714 ap2, tried the the jpx 900 forged for a few months and also went back to the my trusty ap2s, sold the others sets but never can let go of the ap2 haha let's just say I've tried most of the new trending clubs and guess I'm a titleist homer now. As soon as I felt and seen the forgiveness with the soft feel which was a huge surprise to me from the ap3s I was sold , the numbers I was getting with spin rate/ distance just verified it and them looking better behind the ball then my 714 ap2s imo with a great top line was the cherry on top haha

Here's what I was told regarding the new amt's from a local fitter I know.

AMT Red = XP95

AMT Black = XP115

AMT White = Original AMT

thanks, thats interesting as I have XP95 in current set and had XP 115 in previous. I think I need to go Project X or KBS now and steer clear of DG and XP

Good News / Bad News

Good News - set of AP3 irons (5-PW), 3 Vokey Wedges, and 2 818 H2's due in this week.

Bad News - I have been out of action (can't swing or play) for past 7 weeks due to sciatic pain - gotta get over this soon.

Looking into Chiropractic treatments due to the Spinal Stenosis and Spondylolisthesis (slipped vertebrae) that are causing the nerve pain in my buttocks and upper legs.

Bruce

Good News / Bad News

Good News - set of AP3 irons (5-PW), 3 Vokey Wedges, and 2 818 H2's due in this week.

Bad News - I have been out of action (can't swing or play) for past 7 weeks due to sciatic pain - gotta get over this soon.

Looking into Chiropractic treatments due to the Spinal Stenosis and Spondylolisthesis (slipped vertebrae) that are causing the nerve pain in my buttocks and upper legs.

Bruce

Bruce, do you need me to break them in for you? ;)

Smoke 9* GD IZ 5s
Smoke 🔹🔹🔹15* GD IZ 6s
Smoke 19*GD IZ 7s
T150's 5-PW KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 50/12F KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 54/10S KBS Tour
SM10 Nickel 58/08M KBS Tour
TM Spider Tour X

Nike 006 Paul Casey Proto 
Nike 006 Rory Proto 

PRO V1 #36 or #70

[url="http://www.golfwrx.com/forums/topic/973333-mnnikeguy-nike-oven-witb/"]WITB Link[/url]

So I hit the Ap3, the Tm 790, and my 7 iron today. All three clubs had the same shaft, Kbs tour, that's about as close as in can get to apples to apples out of a fitting cart. Ap 3 is listed a half degree weaker than Tm at 31 loft, my current gamer is 34. I hit around 100 balls spread out between all 3. Ap3 was the longest and had the highest ball flight. Tm was good, but not the best with this setup.

I checked the rest of the specs when I got home, and I just can't wrap my head around 43 Pw with the Ap3. I assume you could bend them weaker in the shorter clubs. I just don't know what Titleist expects you to carry in the wedges to keep the gapping problems from getting too out of hand.

You need to call your fitter and make sure they either processed your order or you will either to have to switch out the shaft or wait. It was such depressing news I wanted to cry.

I went and ordered my ap3s Thursday with Ns pro 88 AMC shafts, just got an email form my fitter stating the shafts are on back order until November 22nd. He told me to either get Nippon NS pro 950’s or wait till November.

That's good to know. Thanks

Your welcome no problem.

So I hit the Ap3, the Tm 790, and my 7 iron today. All three clubs had the same shaft, Kbs tour, that's about as close as in can get to apples to apples out of a fitting cart. Ap 3 is listed a half degree weaker than Tm at 31 loft, my current gamer is 34. I hit around 100 balls spread out between all 3. Ap3 was the longest and had the highest ball flight. Tm was good, but not the best with this setup.

I checked the rest of the specs when I got home, and I just can't wrap my head around 43 Pw with the Ap3. I assume you could bend them weaker in the shorter clubs. I just don't know what Titleist expects you to carry in the wedges to keep the gapping problems from getting too out of hand.

Carry the W and W2! Haha it does sound a little ridiculous. Instead of pw, W, and W2 plus your sand and lob wedge, why not just call them 9 iron, pw, gap wedge like normal?! I read all the arguments about the lofts and numbers on the clubs and agree and disagree with some, and it is all subjective, but carrying 5 wedges just seems odd to me

Stealth 2+ 9* - Ventus TR Blue 6x
Taylormade Stealth 2+ 15* - Ventus TR Blue 7x
Taylormade Stealth UDI 3 iron - X100
Taylormade P770 4-5 iron - X100

Taylormade P7MC 6-pw - X100
Taylormade MG3 - 50 SB, 56 SB, 60 LB
Taylormade Juno TP long neck

Custom 1/1 Rory Nike Oven proto 006, Oven Method Matter B2/01

Carry the W and W2! Haha it does sound a little ridiculous. Instead of pw, W, and W2 plus your sand and lob wedge, why not just call them 9 iron, pw, gap wedge like normal?! I read all the arguments about the lofts and numbers on the clubs and agree and disagree with some, and it is all subjective, but carrying 5 wedges just seems odd to me

As I've discussed a few times in this thread, my AP3's are bent 1º weak making the PW 44º. My previous set up with AP2's was PW @ 46º & SM6 50/54/59. All I did was bend my 50º to 49º and I haven't had any issues with gapping. The AP3's are very easy to flight down and drop a 3/4 shot on command.

TSR3 9º Driver - Helium Black 5F5 @ 45.5”     

TSR2 15º Fwy - LinQ M40X Blue 7F5     

TSR2 18º Hyb  - Recoil Proto Hybrid 85F5
T200 #4 @ 1º Weak - Recoil Proto Utility 110F5

T100 #5-P - Modus 120X

SM10 Raw 50.12F @ 51º, 56.12D, 60.08M @ 61º - Mouds 120X
SeeMore Mini Giant Deep Flange - SuperStroke Flatso 1.0

Pro V1 - Yellow

Here is what I am going to do. AP2 PW at 46*, AP3 9-iron bent 1* weak at 40*. I can manage 6* gapping at that point in my bag. I can easily play 9-irons with less than a full swing. The gap from the 9-iron to the 8-iron would be 5*.

Heck, I go 46* PW, 54* SW, 60* LW. I like to keep it simple.

My AP3 set is due in this week - 5 thru PW + Vokey's at 48 , 53 (52 bent 1* weak) and 58 which gives me consistent 5* gaps.

I am estimating about a 5 to 7 yard distance increase with the AP3 - AMT Red Stiff. My current PW (714 AP2) distance is 120 under normal conditions.

Not sure when I will be able to test them out due to issues noted above. See Chiropractor week from tomorrow.

Bruce