2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Who on tour has a Malaska type swing??

So, if I take a club to the top of your backswing, and the club is at an angle rather than strictly vertical, and then drop the club, am I correct in thinking that the club would fall to the ground at that same angle? If so, then if I don't let go of the club, isn't the weight of the clubhead creating a beta torque against my hands just by me continuing top hold the the handle of the club? If I'm correct, how is that not gravity creating a torque against the hands?

Go watch the two videos I made earlier in the thread. Just dropping the clubhead causes the club to move vertically, Club does not flatten/shallow. To flatten the shaft the club needs to move horizontally. Gravity doesn’t move things horizontally

When gravity can help substantially in creating neg. beta ? when club would be perpendicular to the left arm with its head back (not up).

Sorry, I don't understand what you're trying to say.

The angle between left arm and the shaft is 90 deg. but the clubhead is not up but behind the arm. Not happening in a real swing though.

So, if I take a club to the top of your backswing, and the club is at an angle rather than strictly vertical, and then drop the club, am I correct in thinking that the club would fall to the ground at that same angle? If so, then if I don't let go of the club, isn't the weight of the clubhead creating a beta torque against my hands just by me continuing top hold the the handle of the club? If I'm correct, how is that not gravity creating a torque against the hands?

Go watch the two videos I made earlier in the thread. Just dropping the clubhead causes the club to move vertically, Club does not flatten/shallow. To flatten the shaft the club needs to move horizontally. Gravity doesn't move things horizontally

Yes, if you loosen the grip on the club and just drop the clubhead gravity will cause the club to move vertically, which does not flatten/shallow the shaft. However, dropping the arms (or allowing the lead arm to rotate) while holding onto the club firmly in the grip, gravity will cause the arm/club unit to fall (or the arm to rotate providing negative Beta) and thus the club shaft does flatten/shallow.

[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

However, dropping the arms while holding the club firmly in the grip gravity will cause the arm/club unit to fall and thus the club does flatten/shallow.

Huh? In transition?

Don't think that is correct. Dropping the arms will steepen the shaft. If you move your hands in direction of the target line the club will shallow.

Yes, if you loosen the grip on the club and just drop the clubhead gravity will cause the club to move vertically, which does not flatten/shallow the shaft. However, dropping the arms (or allowing the lead arm to rotate) while holding onto the club firmly in the grip, gravity will cause the arm/club unit to fall (or the arm to rotate providing negative Beta) and thus the club shaft does flatten/shallow.

Huh? In transition?

Don't think that is correct. Dropping the arms will steepen the shaft. If you move your hands in direction of the target line the club will shallow.

This is the direction I am suggesting the arm 'drop' (and arm rotation) lays or moves the club shaft and clubhead down (see ~2:20 time):

[media=]

[/media]
[size=4][font=comic sans ms,cursive][b][color=#006400][i]I'm back on the tour playing again...[img]http://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.clublexus.com-vbulletin/42x27/80-yahoo_c1e85bb914542fdc9f0f5b3c66f5ed93fa601ccf.gif[/img] [/i][/color][/b][/font][/size]

px9LNg7.jpg

Mike is similarly steep in transition and then dumps it under which requires a flip to square the face, so he then has head well in front the ball and stays in flexion so he doesn’t hit it fat

Ironically the vast majority of golfers on the planet would take that golf swing all day long

They’d take my golfswing too. What does that have to do with anything?

They would indeed I wonder which is harder to achieve

Go watch the two videos I made earlier in the thread. Just dropping the clubhead causes the club to move vertically, Club does not flatten/shallow. To flatten the shaft the club needs to move horizontally. Gravity doesn't move things horizontally

Thanks, I just watched them (don't know how I missed them the first time). So, yeah, the clubhead moves vertically if the clubhead is allowed to drop while still holding the handle. That makes sense. But, doesn't the dropping of the clubhead, while still holding the handle in the same position, point the angle of the shaft closer to the ground? And, if so, if the angle of the shaft is pointing more upwardly than horizontal to begin with, doesn't dropping the clubhead then flatten the shaft, relative to the ground, at least, until it reaches horizontal?

Can we then say that the shaft, when angled from upwardly from horizontal, flattens in the direction in which the shaft is pointing, at least, until it reaches horizontal (at which point, it begins to steepen in the opposite direction)?

In your videos, you're pointing your shaft/stick towards the target and your stick/shaft is nearly parallel so, of course, when you let the 'clubhead' drop, it's going to fall towards the target. However, if John Daly got to the...uh, end of his backswing, stopped, and let the clubhead fall, if would fall away from the target. Something different would happen with Jon Rahm. If we look at the top of his backswing...

ekfXGpU.png

...his shaft is not pointing at the target, so were he to just let the clubhead drop, it would not drop in the direction of the target and the shaft would get flatter until it fell past horizontal, yes?

Thanks, I just watched them (don't know how I missed them the first time). So, yeah, the clubhead moves vertically if the clubhead is allowed to drop while still holding the handle. That makes sense. But, doesn't the dropping of the clubhead, while still holding the handle in the same position, point the angle of the shaft closer to the ground? And, if so, if the angle of the shaft is pointing more upwardly than horizontal to begin with, doesn't dropping the clubhead then flatten the shaft, relative to the ground, at least, until it reaches horizontal?

Can we then say that the shaft, when angled from upwardly from horizontal, flattens in the direction in which the shaft is pointing, at least, until it reaches horizontal (at which point, it begins to steepen in the opposite direction)?

In your videos, you're pointing your shaft/stick towards the target and your stick/shaft is nearly parallel so, of course, when you let the 'clubhead' drop, it's going to fall towards the target. However, if John Daly got to the...uh, end of his backswing, stopped, and let the clubhead fall, if would fall away from the target. Something different would happen with Jon Rahm. If we look at the top of his backswing...

ekfXGpU.png

...his shaft is not pointing at the target, so were he to just let the clubhead drop, it would not drop in the direction of the target and the shaft would get flatter until it fell past horizontal, yes?

I did it in the video with the club laid off. And the clubhead won’t drop while holding onto the club unless you apply a force to make it do so

You're right - no one is going to loosen the grip and just allow the club to drop. To shallow the club requires a combination of arm/club unit movement, not a loosening of the grip and letting the club fall/drop.

Dropping the arms would cause the club to steepen and apply a positive beta torque. Gravity will not cause the arms to fall. Arms will “fall” by either increasing right side bend or straightening the trail arm which is applying a force to the grip.

Rotating the lead arm is literally applying a direct force to the club and gravity isn’t flattening the shaft, rotating the left arm is. Gravity has nothing to do with anything you’re talking about. Those active moves the body is apply to the club

Dropping the arms would cause the club to steepen and apply a positive beta torque. Gravity will not cause the arms to fall. Arms will "fall" by either increasing right side bend or straightening the trail arm which is applying a force to the grip.

Rotating the lead arm is literally applying a direct force to the club and gravity isn't flattening the shaft, rotating the left arm is. Gravity has nothing to do with anything you're talking about. Those active moves the body is apply to the club

To have the arm (and club) remain in some elevated position requires contracted muscles to keep it in that elevated position. Releasing those arm/shoulder muscles then allows gravity to drop the weight of the arms (and the club) as a unit. Right?

I've been working on the Malaska swing principles for about 3 months now.

I was wondering who on the Tour has a swing like Mike advocates?

Thank you

Will you now still be working on Malaska's principles :)

I think he's been side-tracked - learning about Alpha, Beta and Gamma forces!

Dropping the arms would cause the club to steepen and apply a positive beta torque. Gravity will not cause the arms to fall. Arms will "fall" by either increasing right side bend or straightening the trail arm which is applying a force to the grip.

Rotating the lead arm is literally applying a direct force to the club and gravity isn't flattening the shaft, rotating the left arm is. Gravity has nothing to do with anything you're talking about. Those active moves the body is apply to the club

To have the arm (and club) remain in some elevated position requires contracted muscles to keep it in that elevated position. Releasing those arm/shoulder muscles then allows gravity to drop the weight of the arms (and the club) as a unit. Right?

Why would you release those muscles and use gravity when you would have to re-engage the muscles afterwards. You don't want the arms to drop down loosely.

All comments are made from the point of
view of my learning and not a claim
to expertise.

Petunia, in the Rahm pic you posted if he were to let go of the club, because there would be some residual pressure in the hands, the clubhead would drop a little below the handle until both hands have totally let go of the club. At that point, unless some other force interrupts the fall, the club will maintain its spatial relationship in the sky. Now, had he completely remove all of his hands surface area from the handle in one single moment the club in would have fallen without changing orientation. That's my understanding. So maybe "letting go" and "dropping" are defined differently. The question becomes can we then let go without dropping. The answer is yes.

There are only two places where gravity doesn't apply the moon and a fairway.

Be careful clubbing on the moon though I took a 7 iron from 150 yards and the ball ended up on Mars

New pro v as well

Gutted

No. For the arms to drop the trail tricep would have to extend and the arms extending is what would apply the force to the club. And the arms extending downward would steepen the club, not flatten it. For the club to flatten there has to be a horizontal force applied to the handle club. Gravity doesn’t apply horizontal forces.

Even if the arms did move because of gravity it would cause the arms and clubhead to drop at the same rate which would keep the shaft in the same plane, it wouldn’t flatten the shaft because a horizontal force was never applied

ekfXGpU.png

I did it in the video with the club laid off. And the clubhead won't drop while holding onto the club unless you apply a force to make it do so

I don't think the latter statement is true. I think the opposite is true. If you use any standard golf grip, that grip applies resistance to the club keeping it from dropping. The entire club will drop if you don't hold it up. The clubhead will drop if you hold the handle end loosely enough to 'let it' do so. If the shaft is pointed away from the hands upwardly of horizontal, if allowed to drop, the clubhead will drop in the direction in which the shaft is pointed, the shaft flattening relative to the ground as it approaches horizontal. Once the clubhead drops below horizontal, the clubhead will begin to drop away from the direction in which the shaft is pointing and the shaft will begin to steepen in a manner opposite to which it started.

Why would you release those muscles and use gravity when you would have to re-engage the muscles afterwards. You don't want the arms to drop down loosely.

You're right - you wouldn't drop them down loosely. You would only release a little bit of muscle contraction - the same as you would if you were holding your arm outward to point slightly upward...and then drop the arm to point slightly downward. You would not totally release muscles as-if to let them go lifeless.

There are only two places where gravity doesn't apply the moon and a fairway.

Be careful clubbing on the moon though I took a 7 iron from 150 yards and the ball ended up on Mars

New pro v as well

Gutted

Gravity applies on the moon. The force due to gravity is just a lot smaller than here on earth.

Nobody said gravity isn’t existing during the golf swing. Just that the amount of force gravity is acting on the club is very minuscule in comparison to what force the body is applying to the club. And gravity absolutely in no way flattens the shaft because gravit is a vertical force and to flatten the club you’d have to apply a horizontal force. Gravity doesn’t apply horizontal forces.

You're right - you wouldn't drop them down loosely. You would only release a little bit of muscle contraction - the same as you would if you were holding your arm outward to point slightly upward...and then drop the arm to point slightly downward. You would not totally release muscles as-if to let them go lifeless.

As I understand it any change in limb direction involves using the opposing muscles not just loosening the ones in use. So straightening the trail arm and rotating the lead arm in the downswing can only be achieved by positive muscular action. Imagine you were wearing boots fastened to a ceiling you could (in theory) make a golf swing but you would be opposing gravity and it would not be much to overcome.

to expertise.

ekfXGpU.png

I did it in the video with the club laid off. And the clubhead won't drop while holding onto the club unless you apply a force to make it do so

I don't think the latter statement is true. I think the opposite is true. If you use any standard golf grip, that grip applies resistance to the club keeping it from dropping. The entire club will drop if you don't hold it up. The clubhead will drop if you hold the handle end loosely enough to 'let it' do so. If the shaft is pointed away from the hands upwardly of horizontal, if allowed to drop, the clubhead will drop in the direction in which the shaft is pointed, the shaft flattening relative to the ground as it approaches horizontal. Once the clubhead drops below horizontal, the clubhead will begin to drop away from the direction in which the shaft is pointing and the shaft will begin to steepen in a manner opposite to which it started.

Again the clubhead will drop vertically. As that’s the only direction gravity is applying a force. It would not rotate the club which is required for the shaft to shallow.

The club will not and cannot flatten and then steepen due to gravity. That requires 2 horizontal forces and gravity applies zero horizontal force. You aren’t seeing this in 3D. Again in the video I held the club laid off and just let the clubhead fall. The shaft didnt flatten. Gravity will only make the clubhead move vertically down the plane it’s in. It won’t rotate the club. For the shaft to flatten the club must be rotated in the horizontal direction. If Rahm let the clubhead go it would move down and TOWARDS the target. When the club is flattened from that position in 3D the clubhead would move AWAY from the target. I also showed this in the video I made

As you release the bicep the tricep contracts which applies a force on the club. It’s not gravity at all. It’s muscles of the arms apply a force on the club

I think iteachgolf and some others are far too hung up about exactly how body parts and objects are moved and/or affected by gravity.

I take it that the assertion of this video titled 'How to Shallow the Club With Gravity' is incorrect - that using gravity should not be used to explain how to shallow the golf club... Yes? No?

I think iteachgolf and some others are far too hung up about exactly how body parts and objects are moved and/or affected by gravity.

I take it that the assertion of this video titled 'How to Shallow the Club With Gravity' is incorrect - that using gravity should not be used to explain how to shallow the golf club... Yes? No?

Body parts are moved by muscles contracting and extending. It’s not being hung up, it’s not knowing what you’re taking about. You’re calling tricep contraction gravity.

No gravity should not be used when talking about shallowing the club. Again the shaft flattening requires a horizontal force, a force gravity cannot apply

[media=]

[/media]

He didn't do what he was saying to do when he hit the shot. Interesting there is a pete Cowan video where he says the gravity on the head of the club leads to many players snatching at the club and coming OTT.

to expertise.

[media=]

[/media]

Body parts are moved by muscles contracting and extending. It's not being hung up, it's not knowing what you're taking about. You're calling tricep contraction gravity.

No gravity should not be used when talking about shallowing the club. Again the shaft flattening requires a horizontal force, a force gravity cannot apply

So, if someone was holding his arm up while pointing upward and his spine was severed or he suddenly died of cardiac arrest where there was immediately no more muscle activity whatsoever - what would happen to the [once] raised arm?

So, I guess Martin Hall should not be using gravity in his teaching assertions either with his 'Gravity Arm Drop'! Yes? No?

http://www.golfchann...f-25d7cc2c8ca8

[media=]

[/media]

Body parts are moved by muscles contracting and extending. It's not being hung up, it's not knowing what you're taking about. You're calling tricep contraction gravity.

So, if someone was holding his arm up while pointing upward and his spine was severed or he suddenly died of cardiac arrest where there was immediately no more muscle activity whatsoever - what would happen to the [once] raised arm?

Haha. Stop it already.