2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Old Man Golf

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This section is for Classic Golf... and Golfers.

Now I have always taken Classic Golfers to mean 'Senior Golfers.' We ourselves are Classic based on our age.

To me...

Classic Golf = Woods made of wood and Forged Blade Irons.

Classic Golfer = Anything a Senior Golfer wants to address regardless of his equipment preference.

This side of the board has always tried to be welcoming, accepting. and nonjudgmental.

Please open a thread to address anything you wish to question or discuss!

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Now I have always taken Classic Golfers to mean 'Senior Golfers.' We ourselves are Classic based on our age.

To me...

Classic Golfer = Anything a Senior Golfer wants to address regardless of his equipment preference.

This side of the board has always tried to be welcoming, accepting. and nonjudgmental.

Well said Tim as usual for you--- I agree all the way--- besides over here no one cares if you want to start a topic on newer clubs versus old or what kind or vintage clubs one plays. Just good times and good folks

Driver--- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha--- Speeder 565 R flex

3W--- TM V-Steel TMR7 REAX 55g R

7W --- TM V Steel UST Pro Force 65 R flex

9W--- TM V Steel Stock V Steel R flex shaft

5 Hybrid-- Cobra Baffler DWS NVS 60A High Launch

Irons 5 thru PW 1985 Macgregor VIP Hogan Apex #2 shafts

SW -- Cleveland 588 56* Shaft Unknown

LW Vokey SM5 L Grind 58* 04 bounce Stock Vokey Shaft

Putter -- Rusty 1997 Scottie Santa Fe-- Fluted Bulls Eye Shaft

Good times, great folks and a wealth of knowledge willing to be shared. Folks here are so smart and I learn so much here about vintage/classic/senior/whatever you want to call it golf. Sort of a refuge from the day to day grind of life for me. My one and a half cents...

57 y/o and FEEL like I play old man golf. But I take that as a compliment!

65 here, retired and play golf with my age peers and older. We keep the ball in play and score well enough to maintain handicaps in the 10 to 20 range. There are a handful of guys who give geezers a bad name by playing slow, hunting for balls, poor etiquette, etc. The ones I know in this group took up golf very late in life and never had mentors to teach them......and have an attitude that is not receptive to learning.

• Callaway Rogue Draw 10.5*
  • The Perfect Club 21
  • Callaway XROS 64
  • PING Eye 2 BeCu 7 - SW
  • PING Kartsen Craz-E

To me...

And, here lies the rub:

Since, as you can see in my "signature" and Big Stu can verify, I am a proud member of the OGA...the fact that I can't accurately remember my member number definitely qualifies me as a "Classic Senior" golfer.

If I were of Spanish heritage, I could be Classic Senior Seńor golfer.....but, I regress.....

My particular bone to pick is the "forged" iron stipulation.

Because of when I grew up, perimeter weighted irons were just beginning to make their mark. The Acushnet AC-108 was a thing of curiousity and envy. Imagine, a club that could actually allow you to have forgiveness on mis-hits. This iron design was from the early 70's...over 45 years ago....making it a "classic", at least in my mind. The fact that it was a horrible design, with a center of gravity higher than that of the ball, didn't stop people from wanting it, as it was so drastically different from traditional (classic) design.

While I didn't ever have a set of these, I was fortunate enough to acquire a set of Ping Karsten 1 irons around this time....again, over 40 years ago. While my early sets were (in no particular order) woods/irons with some hickory & some steel shafts; the first set I purchased - a box set of woods/irons from K-mart...a Chi Chi Rodrigues "signature set....that had the insert popping out of the woods within the first few months (no screw pattern, only epoxy); a full set of PowerBilt Citation woods (1-2-3-4) and irons (2-PW)....I kept the 1 & 4 woods and there were my regular players throughout my life; PGA Ryder Cup irons; Wilson 1200 (the original design, with the twist in the shaft).......the Pings were what I played most as a "kid".

But in 1976, I got the opportunity to acquire a set of Ben Hogan Apex irons (custom ground).....after using the Ping irons, it was like learning the game all over again, since my sweet spot not only "shrunk" but moved much closer to the hosel of the club.

So, I consider both designs....forged and cast....classic, in the sense that they are as old in design as my playing them.

Guess that's one of the things that makes me an outlaw....well that, and the fact that I still wear a ponytail, even though now it is only about 1 or 2 strands of hair thick.

Classic....Ping irons....???? Let's agree to disagree on this one, and have a go with whatever wets your whistle!

Now, please excuse me from this thread....it's gonna freeze again tonite, and I want to be sure to have one more pipe burst. It's so much fun working on these outside when the temps fall below 30 degrees....

I recall the debate that raged on here trying to reach consensus as to what would define suitable clubs for a Classic golf outing amongst members of this group. Everyone seemed to have a different idea of what was suitable and what should be exempt. There was no consensus.

For my money, it's whatever you want to use. It should be about meeting each other and enjoying the camaraderie on the golf course rather than worrying about who might have an advantage on their scorecard. I always figured that the person with the advantage was the best player regardless of what he/she was using.

If I'm being asked to play a regulation par 72 course from ~6000 yards then I'm going to bag a set of old cast CB's (Eye 2 clones) and a set of Callaway BB War bird woods from the mid 90's. They're classic enough for me. Give me a shorter and easier course particularly if it's heritage and then I would likely be inclined to bring out my PB Citations and GR Axial Tour Grinds for the full traditional blades and persimmon test. Either set can be equally fun if I've had a chance to practice with them a bit first. The rest of the time, it's probably going to be modern clubs with all the helpful technology they incorporate. There's less wear and tear on the body with light weights and graphite shafts and the margin for error is much bigger if I stay within myself. The game is tough enough and I don't need to make a statement everytime I hit the course.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I'm 37 but I would rather play with guys in their 50s and up all day everyday and twice on Sunday. Most of them want to play golf rather than smoke dope and drink and hassle the beer girl.

So......doing this type of thing in my 60's.....is considered bad form...?????

Lets put it this way, old fellers are more discreet :)

To me...

And, here lies the rub:

Since, as you can see in my "signature" and Big Stu can verify, I am a proud member of the OGA...the fact that I can't accurately remember my member number definitely qualifies me as a "Classic Senior" golfer.

If I were of Spanish heritage, I could be Classic Senior Seńor golfer.....but, I regress.....

My particular bone to pick is the "forged" iron stipulation.

Because of when I grew up, perimeter weighted irons were just beginning to make their mark. The Acushnet AC-108 was a thing of curiousity and envy. Imagine, a club that could actually allow you to have forgiveness on mis-hits. This iron design was from the early 70's...over 45 years ago....making it a "classic", at least in my mind. The fact that it was a horrible design, with a center of gravity higher than that of the ball, didn't stop people from wanting it, as it was so drastically different from traditional (classic) design.

While I didn't ever have a set of these, I was fortunate enough to acquire a set of Ping Karsten 1 irons around this time....again, over 40 years ago. While my early sets were (in no particular order) woods/irons with some hickory & some steel shafts; the first set I purchased - a box set of woods/irons from K-mart...a Chi Chi Rodrigues "signature set....that had the insert popping out of the woods within the first few months (no screw pattern, only epoxy); a full set of PowerBilt Citation woods (1-2-3-4) and irons (2-PW)....I kept the 1 & 4 woods and there were my regular players throughout my life; PGA Ryder Cup irons; Wilson 1200 (the original design, with the twist in the shaft).......the Pings were what I played most as a "kid".

But in 1976, I got the opportunity to acquire a set of Ben Hogan Apex irons (custom ground).....after using the Ping irons, it was like learning the game all over again, since my sweet spot not only "shrunk" but moved much closer to the hosel of the club.

So, I consider both designs....forged and cast....classic, in the sense that they are as old in design as my playing them.

Guess that's one of the things that makes me an outlaw....well that, and the fact that I still wear a ponytail, even though now it is only about 1 or 2 strands of hair thick.

Classic....Ping irons....???? Let's agree to disagree on this one, and have a go with whatever wets your whistle!

Now, please excuse me from this thread....it's gonna freeze again tonite, and I want to be sure to have one more pipe burst. It's so much fun working on these outside when the temps fall below 30 degrees....

As stated "To Me..." you also missed the part about welcoming and accepting I think.

My comment was not meant to be exclusive. And, I can look into my shop area and see several sets of old Pings right now. They are indeed 'Classic' to many people. That's simply not what I immediately think of when I say Classic. I gave My Definition. I am fine knowing it isn't the Only Definition.

Fairways & Greens My Friends!

P.S. Play What Brings You Joy!

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

" As stated "To Me..." you also missed the part about welcoming and accepting I think.

My comment was not meant to be exclusive. And, I can look into my shop area and see several sets of old Pings right now. They are indeed 'Classic' to many people. That's simply not what I immediately think of when I say Classic. I gave My Definition. I am fine knowing it isn't the Only Definition.

P.S. Play What Brings You Joy! "

I understood what you were saying Tim, and I was just busting you a bit

I've see the discussion(s) about what is considered "classic" and I agree, it is whatever you feel it is.

I haven't hit the Pings in a long time....but, then again, I haven't hit much of anything in a while.

I round in the past 4 years - and only 3 rounds in the past 7.

Looking forward to one of those "discreet" rounds for the next round

" As stated "To Me..." you also missed the part about welcoming and accepting I think.

P.S. Play What Brings You Joy! "

I've see the discussion(s) about what is considered "classic" and I agree, it is whatever you feel it is.

I haven't hit the Pings in a long time....but, then again, I haven't hit much of anything in a while.

Wow August, and I thought I wasn't playing much golf of late.............1 round in 2017 and maybe 6 rounds

in 2016. 10-15 rounds per year the 3-4 years prior. Just haven't had the time......but likely retiring later this

year and hope to start playing regularly again.

No offense taken.

I really hope you are able to overcome whatever is keeping you off the Course.

I just can't imagine that as it's far less than what I did when we lived in Wisconsin and I worked full time.

Whatever it is, and regardless of what you can or can't do, find a way to fan the flames of your love of the game.

Old Man Golf = OMG lol

Ha, good Sean. Goes well with....... OMG! OGA! golf.

Lol! The theme song can be "Green Grass and High Tides". :-)

"...As Kings and Queens bow and play for you..."

Excellent song by The Outlaws!!!

I wore 'Bring It Back Alive' out when I was about 12 years old and found my moms record collection. 20 minute tribute to Lynyrd Skynyrd is probably the greatest live version of any song I have ever heard.

Old Man Golf today for sure, 5 degrees and a stiff SE breeze (cold by our Atlantic standards).

OMG , 6 up and downs + 30 putts for 76

So, with your handicap, you shot like a ~64...????

You are just a touch too strong for me

One hot day with the wedge, my friend, it happens! I was too hot for the gang as well. Bragging rights rule, OK.