2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Torn Between Ping EYE 2s and Zings

Both are great sets. There's a golfing demographic that, once it had been exposed to that generation of Ping irons, never felt comfortable hitting anything else.

The Eye 2 is the daddy. If you had to pick a set of pings, not knowing the player and what they liked, you'd probably pick them. But you're obviously not in that position, so it's not so straightforward...

What would maybe swing it for me is how you set up your wedges. If you're playing the stock wedges in each set, then I'd go with the Eye 2s. Weaker lofts, better gaps, and grinds that Ping is still selling in its current clubs are all around more useable. It it wasn't for the groove rule, you'd still see Eye 2 wedges in bags at every level - Zings not so much.

once you get used to the zing wedges they are deadly

Pretty is as pretty does, but those Zing wedges really stretch the point.

I found it hard enough to come to terms with looking at the Eye 2s, I do worry that if I ever got used to the Zings, I'd never see a nice clean blade in the same way again

once you get used to the zing wedges they are deadly

Pretty is as pretty does, but those Zing wedges really stretch the point.

I found it hard enough to come to terms with looking at the Eye 2s, I do worry that if I ever got used to the Zings, I'd never see a nice clean blade in the same way again

I never really understood why some think that the Zings or the Eye 2s are ugly looking. They look like a man's club to me they look indestructible which I like, very industrial. The top line isn't a concern either. Actually, the thick top line encourages me. I feel like I'm going to murder the ball.

IMHO I think the Zing's are the better club for the average player. That being said if the Eye 2's offer you a more sure swing play them. I have owned 2 sets of PING Zings, Red and Green Dot's playing the Green's with much more success, I have not played Eye 2's as of yet so my opinion is biassed at best. As far as appearance goes I have not considered looks to quality of play ever. Ugly? I like the Zing's looks, actually more than the Eye's. Why do you HAVE to sell one set? I have 5 sets, only regularly play 2 and mostly play my more modern set. MORE CLUBS PLEASE!

I'm going to the indoor driving range this weekend and hit some balls. Maybe I will be able to decide then. I struggle with the fact that my EYE 2s are classics and heavily regarded as the best irons ever made. Plus, they are square grooves. But, for some reason, I feel more confident with the Zings. I don't hit them any better, but I feel more confident over the ball nonetheless.

I'm going to the indoor driving range this weekend and hit some balls. Maybe I will be able to decide then. I struggle with the fact that my EYE 2s are classics and heavily regarded as the best irons ever made. Plus, they are square grooves. But, for some reason, I feel more confident with the Zings. I don't hit them any better, but I feel more confident over the ball nonetheless.

All Pings from the Eye2 forward have square grooves. Aside from the obvious V Groove Eye2, of course. ;)

Speaking to the main topic, I'd be inclined to keep Eye2s over Zings. The shaft bending/breaking issue with the Zings is too large an issue for me, and the Eye2 are iconic.

I wish the bounce configuration were a bit more friendly, though. The negative bounce in the long irons nags at me.

The Ever Changing Bag!  A lot of mixing and matching
Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Fwy woods: King LTD 3/4, RIP Beta 90X -or- TM Sim2 Ti 3w, NV105 X
Hybrid:  Cobra King Tec 2h, MMT 80 S 

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"
Balls: Chrome Soft, Kirkland Signature 3pc (v3)

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

All Pings from the Eye2 forward have square grooves. Aside from the obvious V Groove Eye2, of course. ;)

Speaking to the main topic, I'd be inclined to keep Eye2s over Zings. The shaft bending/breaking issue with the Zings is too large an issue for me, and the Eye2 are iconic.

I wish the bounce configuration were a bit more friendly, though. The negative bounce in the long irons nags at me.

Explain the negative bounce.

I think you're answering your own question. If you like the looks of even the clunkier model, and hit both models equally well, and feel more confident with the Zings, AND YOU WANT TO SELL ONE - then it makes sense to sell the Eye 2s, which I agree will probably sell more easily, and/or fetch more than the Zings anyway.

The fact that the Eye 2s are more "classic", or that most posters here would keep both sets and then start to flesh out their Ping collection, shouldn't be a big factor for you. FWIW, I don't think a driving range test is a great way to make up your mind, compared to taking them out on a course where funky lies and finesse become more of an issue. Driving range is only the least-worst way to test clubs that you can't take away for an extended on-course test.

The good news is, if you decide you've made a mistake, a replacement set won't be hard to come by. I think my club charges more for its rental sets than what I paid for my Eye 2s.

I think you're answering your own question. If you like the looks of even the clunkier model, and hit both models equally well, and feel more confident with the Zings, AND YOU WANT TO SELL ONE - then it makes sense to sell the Eye 2s, which I agree will probably sell more easily, and/or fetch more than the Zings anyway.

The fact that the Eye 2s are more "classic", or that most posters here would keep both sets and then start to flesh out their Ping collection, shouldn't be a big factor for you. FWIW, I don't think a driving range test is a great way to make up your mind, compared to taking them out on a course where funky lies and finesse become more of an issue. Driving range is only the least-worst way to test clubs that you can't take away for an extended on-course test.

The good news is, if you decide you've made a mistake, a replacement set won't be hard to come by. I think my club charges more for its rental sets than what I paid for my Eye 2s.

It isn't as easy as you think. I'm very particular about my Ping iron sets. To find an iron set with at least 3 iron to sand wedge with matching serial numbers and original shafts.

Everything is relative. But I think anyone would struggle to name another 30 year old iron model that's as easy to find in playable condition. Nothing sold in greater numbers, nothing is harder wearing, and nothing retains such cachet that people will think there's enough residual value to actually sell rather than scrap. My Eye 2s came with a 7 iron that had been reshafted by Ping and didn't match the rest of the set. That bugged me until I found a replacement matching shaft, but it wasn't difficult or expensive to fix.

But if you're really that worried about finding a replacement set, you already know the answer... ;-)

To add fuel to the fire, if the lofts are a problem go with the Eye 2+'s and ditch both. A little more modern lofts at the top end, 48.5 degree PW. Minus the scalloped sole on the PW and SW, the Eye 2 +'s look almost identical to the Eye 2's. I can't believe how easy the long irons are to hit with the Eye 2's.

The below is copied from a post here on WRX in 2009, which copied the specs then available on the Ping website. Note the bounce is not zero degrees until the 5 iron. (they're Eye2+ specs, of course, but the Eye2 specs were similar)

Club Length Loft Lie Offset Bounce Swgt.

1 39.75" 16.0° 58.0° 0.36" -4.0° C9-D0

2 39.25" 18.5° 58.6° 0.35" -3.0° C9-D0

3 38.75" 21.2° 59.3° 0.34" -2.0° C9-D0

4 38.25" 24.5° 60.0° 0.28" -1.0° C9-D0

5 37.75" 27.7° 60.7° 0.27" 0.0° C9-D0

6 37.25" 31.2° 61.5° 0.23" 1.0° C9-D0

7 36.75" 35.0° 62.3° 0.17" 2.0° C9-D0

8 36.25" 39.5° 63.1° 0.19" 3.2° C9-D0

9 35.75" 44.0° 64.0° 0.20" 4.2° C9-D0

PW 35.50" 48.5° 64.4° 0.20" 8.0° C9-D0

SW 35.25" 53.0° 64.2° 0.18" 12.0° C9-D0

LW 35.00" 58.0° 65.1° 0.07" 18.0° C9-D0

Which means, if you have even a minor negative angle of attack with your irons, the sole width won't really come into play until you get to the short irons.

Driver: TM 300 Mini 11.5*, 43.5", Phenom NL 60X -or- Cobra SpeedZone, ProtoPype 80S, 43.5"

Irons grab bag:  1-PW Golden Ram TW276, NV105 S; 1-PW Golden Ram TW282, RIP Tour 115 R; 2-PW Golden Ram Vibration Matched, NS Pro 950WF S
Wedges:  Dynacraft Dual Millled 52*, SteelFiber i125 S -or- Scratch 8620 DD 53*, SteelFiber i125 S; Cobra Snakebite 56* -or- Wilson Staff PMP 58*, Dynamic S -or- Ram TW282 SW -or- Ram TW276 SW
Putter:  Snake Eyes Viper Tour Sv1, 34" -or- Cleveland Huntington Beach #1, 34.5" -or- Golden Ram TW Custom, 34" -or- Rife Bimini, 34" -or- Maxfli TM-2, 35"

Grip preference: various GripMaster leather options, Best Grips Microperfs, or Star Grip Sidewinders of assorted colors

The below is copied from a post here on WRX in 2009, which copied the specs then available on the Ping website. Note the bounce is not zero degrees until the 5 iron. (they're Eye2+ specs, of course, but the Eye2 specs were similar)

Which means, if you have even a minor negative angle of attack with your irons, the sole width won't really come into play until you get to the short irons.

Thanks for the information. I'm not sure exactly how to use the info, but it's good into nonetheless.

Thanks for the information. I'm not sure exactly how to use the info, but it's good into nonetheless.

What this is telling you is that if you tend to hit down on the ball rather than pick it off the turf you will likely cut a few beaver pelts with the long irons because they are going to dig due to negative bounce. I'm a picker so I can get away with it, but I'll still roll up a sod on occasion with a vintage 3 or 4 iron in my hands. Be thankful they're not as bad as hickories which can dig all the way through the bag!

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

I decided to sell both. I went to the indoor driving range at the PGA Superstore. Playing around, I tried out some new Ping clubs. The guy assisting me fitted me to a white dot. I don't like the newer clubs, but it was nice to know that I need a white dot lie. So I put both sets on Ebay and bought a set of white dot ISI 3-LW with matching serial numbers and original JZ stiff shafts. What do you think about my choice?

For all my blade playing habits, I've always had a thing for the ISI. I think you made a fine choice. :)

For all my blade playing habits, I've always had a thing for the ISI. I think you made a fine choice. :)

I feel obliged to add, not only am I "affinity-biased," but I am also owner biased. I have 3-PW, S2, LW, and an BeNi SW.

Been thinking about acquiring yet another set, though, as my set have DGX100 (the BeNi is ZZ65) and I tend to prefer stiff over X in my irons these days. ;) And buying a used set is cheaper than a reshaft, sadly.

Not sure I want to tackle the fabled Ping epoxy, either...

I decided to sell both. I went to the indoor driving range at the PGA Superstore. Playing around, I tried out some new Ping clubs. The guy assisting me fitted me to a white dot. I don't like the newer clubs, but it was nice to know that I need a white dot lie. So I put both sets on Ebay and bought a set of white dot ISI 3-LW with matching serial numbers and original JZ stiff shafts. What do you think about my choice?

I'd say you made a good choice.

Ping G430 Max 10.5

Ping G430 5&7 Wood

Ping G430 19°,22° Hybrids

PXG Gen 6 XP's 7-SW

Ping Glide 58ES Wedge

Ping PLD DS72 

If a person gets mad at you for telling the truth, they're living a lie.

I'd say you made a good choice.

I should receive them sometime soon. I'm excited about them.

I was pleasantly surprised by the ISI wedges, I think they're worth giving a look at bag time