2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Senior golfer category

Want to be very careful with this post. As I empathize with the OP's situation. Been reading through this thread from the OP and I'm not quite sure what is being asked. Do you want to play better at golf? If so, to want degree are you willing to invest the time and resources to improve? How often do you play and/or practice? Have you established any goals to which you aspire? How good is good enough? What are you seeking?

Questions that do not need to be answered ITT. But a personal assessment of where you'd like to take your level of play. For there are many paths that one can take that is not solely predicated on how far you hit the ball or how well you score on the day.

As you've read, for many here it's playing with older, classic clubs. But this is not the sole province of this sub-forum. Some of us still play more modern equipment with regularity along with our classic stuff. Not because it allows me to play any better, in most instances it does not. I do it occasionally because it brings me pleasure. That simple. Do not concern myself with score, distance, any of it. I try and hit the ball with a vintage club as well as possible, and when I fail, there is always the next shot to do it right. And every now and again, I do it correctly, and say to myself, "Yeah, that's how you're suppose to do it". And I try to repeat the experience.

Enjoying the day with good friends and golfing competitors. Sharing laughs, trying to play as well as possible. But nothing is ever on the line other than very fleeting bragging rights for the day. I may not play particularly well, but it doesn't matter all that much. Because the company kept was of greater value. I'm not playing with or against golfers that are substantially better than me. We all have similar skill sets. Then there are those times that I enjoy playing a solo round. Just me trying to hit a ball. With no chatter or distractions. Hearing the ball on club face, being more in tune to my surroundings than when I'm playing with the usual suspects. With the only running conversation being the one occurring inside my head. Again, it brings me pleasure. And I don't even take out a scorecard. Its inconsequential.

Guess my point here is to find your niche. Strive to improve in those areas that can make a meaningful difference in you efficacy of play. (Better short game and putting skills can make a big difference. And they do require strength or distance for realization.) Play in a manner that brings enjoyment. Find company that you enjoy spending a few hours with while out for a walk. Move up a tee box to shorten the course if necessary. Practice a little more if possible. Take some lessons if you deem that may have some merit. FWIW, never had a meaningful lesson in my life. Trying to figure things out on my own is another facet that I find challenging and enjoyable.

In closing, I'm essentially the same body size and age as you. I have no real infirmaries that negatively impact my ability to play. A good day on the course is anytime I break 90. Do I want to play better? Sure who doesn't. I hit the range every now and again to practice, but certainly would label it as regularly. Its more fun to play. Do I want to improve badly enough to invest the time and capital to that end? No. I'm good enough and I'm OK with that. Not everyone lives in the WRX'ian world of score and distance the be all end all of why we play at golf. If I play poorly today, can't wait to get back out tomorrow. Because I'm always optimistic that the next day will be better.

If you have specific questions or concerns that you'd like to throw out, by all means post them up in this forum. Good group around here. In all likelihood, you'll find sympathetic eyes to what you're experiencing. Most likely, we're facing the same to one degree or another.

Laissez les bons temps rouler!

OGA - Mitglied Nummer Sechs

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll be 63 in a couple weeks. Lucky for me I'm retired from my full time job, but for the last 24 years I have been officiating 4 sports. So I get my exercise in. From what I read hear I am right at the norm for distances on my clubs. Not long but not short either.

I golf mostly on a 10 hole course near my house, where I get my range work in and usually play 2 balls when I am on the course(lots of practice that way) . and I walk that.

I think a senior area here would be interesting

This is why I started this thread. To see how older golfers do things to help themselves improve or things that make them hit the distances they can or stay in shape, ect. Like I've posted, I can't relate to a 100mph swing 5 hcp player, their stories are a lot different to tell their peers possible advice.

My 2c...

For slower swing speeds clubs with more loft in lighter flexes are going to be the biggest help equipment wise. I would also suggest going to a lower compression golf ball.

Exercise and stretching will help without question on the physical end.

Practice and work at finding a repeatable swing that works for you. Don't try to swing it like the Pros or young guys.

Move up a tee box.

All Forged, all the time.
The Sets that see regular playing time...
67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

Pro Slicer, glad you're retired because hopefully you can play more golf. I see you've been a member for a while, so as you hopefully will learn through this thread, if the right info doesn't come your way, you can just post and ask for it, and chances are it will. I think I can understand your circumstances a bit, although I am quite a bit younger than you (I won't be 67 until March) :taunt: so we old guys have challenges of our own. What we lose in one area (distance) we can begin to focus on in others like shot placement and course management. Heck, I never knew what that meant or just heard that on tv until I realized maybe it would work for me too. So there are some other things that can make the game just as satisfying without being as concerned with distance. I hope you keep posting. You gotta get your average above six posts per year to get good info ya know :)

I don't know if this is relevant to the topic, but for example, anyone can develop a good short game. You don't have to be young. You don't have to be athletic. I don't hit the ball very far, so I work very hard on my short game. I will take each wedge, make 1/4, 1/2, 3/4, and full swings and write down how far each one goes. I will record this for both shots out of the "fairway" and out of the rough.

When I practice chipping I will do so from a variety of lies, including balls nestled down in very think rough to a tight pin, as well as tight lies from 100 feet away, and everything else in between. I practice bunker shots too, including plugged lies.

I also play tees that are suitable for how far I hit the ball. I want the game to be challenging, but I also don't want to be hitting a lot of fairway woods/hybrids into par 4's, or off the tee on par 3's. To me that's not challenging, that's stupid. lol I know a lot of people will feel differently. I don't care what tees anyone plays, it's their game to enjoy as they see fit. And, I understand that some folks' egos just won't "allow" them to move up.

Re a new section for seniors... somewhere I read wrx owners saying they were stuck with the site pretty much as is — for reasons beyond my pay grade, it can’t be modified. I recall them saying they also can’t figure out how to re-build it from scratch (and save its content). So my guess this is all there is/can be for seniors...Hopefully I’m wrong.

Titlest Tsi2, 10*, GD ADDI 5
Titleist TSi2 16.5 GD ADDI 5

Callaway X-hot pro 3, 4 h
TM P790 5-W, DG 105 R
Vokey SM7 48, 52, 56
Cameron Futura 5W

Re a new section for seniors... somewhere I read wrx owners saying they were stuck with the site pretty much as is — for reasons beyond my pay grade, it can’t be modified. I recall them saying they also can’t figure out how to re-build it from scratch (and save its content). So my guess this is all there is/can be for seniors...Hopefully I’m wrong.

No, I believe you are right. Requests in the past for other types of accommodations have generated a similar response from management/ownership. It may seem like a small and simple request, but I can assure you that it isn't. Keeping a board of this size and scope running is a big undertaking and an expensive one too. It is a business after all and any changes would have to be looked at under the lens of whether it made economic sense for the owners.

I've never really had any problems finding the sort of information I was looking for. You just have to know how to enter and effective search and where you're likely to get the information you seek. Beyond that, ask away; you're bound to get some response and the mods are pretty good at moving topics to the most suitable forum. Rather than wish for something different, contribute and help build the sort of community that you will feel at home in.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

Mods could start a Senior's section in forums. I'm 70 and don't even watch the PGA tour anymore because what they do is unrealistic for me. We could discuss anything golf related and I would enjoy it.

I think a sub-section for Seniors on this side 'Classic Golf and Golfers' would do the trick myself. More seniors hanging out over here I believe.

67 Spalding Top-Flite Professional, Cleveland Classic Persimmon Driver, 3 & 4 Spalding Top-Flite Persimmon Woods, TPM Putter.
71 Wilson Staff Button Backs, Wilson System 3000 Persimmon Driver, 3 & 5 Woods, Wilson Sam Snead Pay-Off Putter.
95 Snake Eyes S&W Forged, Snake Eyes 600T Driver, Viper MS 18* & 21* Woods, 252 & 258 Vokeys, Golfsmith Zero Friction Putter.
2015 Wilson Staff FG Tour F5, TaylorMade Superfast Driver, 16.5* Fairway, & 21* Hybrid, Harmonized SW & LW, Tour Edge Feel2 Putter.

I'm 56, am I a senior?

I'm of Spanish heritage - so I'm a senior señor

I'm also a very pessimistic stamp collector - a fatalist philatelist

I'll be here all week.....

"BOO"!!!!!!!!

You can heckle me, but you can't "jeckel" me

And you are old enough to actually remember these two

I'm 56, am I a senior?

I'm of Spanish heritage - so I'm a senior señor

I'm also a very pessimistic stamp collector - a fatalist philatelist

I'll be here all week.....

"BOO"!!!!!!!!

You can heckle me, but you can't "jeckel" me

And you are old enough to actually remember these two

My 2 favorite magpies!!!

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

A cult following those two. May their memories live inside the demented minds of seniors everywhere.

As I recall they were always a staple at the local drive-in during the intermission as they changed reels.

My problem is LOFT -- Lack of friggin' talent

Cobra F-Max Airspeed 10.5°

Adams Tight Lies 2.0 3W/7W

Ping G30 4h/5h

Ping G 6-UW

Cleveland CBX Zipcore 56° SW

Cleveland CBX Fullface 60° LW

Odyssey WRX V-Line Versa                          

A cult following those two. May their memories live inside the demented minds of seniors everywhere.

I could never tell them apart - very confusing. Kinda like Chip and Dale.

It's easy...Heckle has the red mouth and Jeckle has the black feathers...see???

Hmmm, looks like a nervous twitch caused by an over-indulgence in some type of foreign matter...

CHASING CLASSIC CLUBS

I could never tell them apart - very confusing. Kinda like Chip and Dale.

It's easy...Heckle has the red mouth and Jeckle has the black feathers...see???

Hmmm, looks like a nervous twitch caused by an over-indulgence in some type of foreign matter...

Is "Ohio Green" considered "foreign matter"?

I’d like to see a seniors section.

Been reading everyones aging stories and I must be on the high side of the bell curve. I’m almost 67 and carry a 8 hdcp. Play from the blue tees and my drives average 240 ish with a 9* head. I play hybrids for the long irons, which i can control pretty well. Hitting greens fron 180 or so out comes pretty easy.

I’m only playing 7 years.

As a former 20+ year mountain biker who broke his back twice, i was advised to find another outdoor interest. Never thought I’d play golf, but a friend dragged me to a range after i healed and it seemed pretty easy.

Guess I’m trying to say i have natural ability. 67 year old body, but my heart and mind still think I’m 15. Good genes run in my family, my grandfather was 105 and my dad was only 96 (smoked for 80 yrs).

So get this senior section going and keep youselves going!!!!

Callaway Rogue 10.5* Synergy 50R

Ping G430 5W 

Callaway Edge 24* Hybrid R
Mizuno JPX921HM w/Recoil 780S 6-LW

Cleveland Huntington Beach Soft 11
Vice Pro Plus

I'm 65 with the body of a 70 year old.

"We're putting the band back together" (The Blues Brothers)...

Interested in a road trip for some great vintage golf and copious amounts of alkyhal and bad jokes???

I'm In!!!

:partytime2: :censored2: :taunt: :tomato: :mug:

I'm 56, am I a senior?

A senior?

Hell, you're almost dead!

Ping G430 Max with Ping Distanza or MP5 Ladies flex or Grafalloy Pro Launch Blue 45 in Senior

Ping G430 Five Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Seven Wood Ping Distanza

Ping G430 Nine Wood Ping Distanza

Ping i230 5-PW Red Dot + 1"  Recoil Dart 105

Ping i230 Utility Wedge +1" Recoil Dart 105

Ping Glide 4.0 56 Degree ES Red Dot ZZ 115

Scotty Cameron Squareback 2.5 341/2"

Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5 35"