2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Pine Needles/ Mid Pines

sdhayes135

Mid Pines was in great shape on Saturday. My group had played Tobacco Road and #4 the previous two days and they were both super soaked with casual water covering most of the fairways. We weren't too optimistic about Mid Pines, but I am so glad we went. The fairways were still pretty firm and there were only a few moist spots where we had to take relief. The greens rolled great, too. I definitely rank MP ahead of PN now. MP is way up there on the list for me now. Fantastic course!

The important question, did you sit up on the terrace and make bets on the players coming in on 18? That's one of the more mystifying greens on the whole course, and a great spot to watch from.

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Mid Pines was in great shape on Saturday. My group had played Tobacco Road and #4 the previous two days and they were both super soaked with casual water covering most of the fairways. We weren't too optimistic about Mid Pines, but I am so glad we went. The fairways were still pretty firm and there were only a few moist spots where we had to take relief. The greens rolled great, too. I definitely rank MP ahead of PN now. MP is way up there on the list for me now. Fantastic course!

The important question, did you sit up on the terrace and make bets on the players coming in on 18? That's one of the more mystifying greens on the whole course, and a great spot to watch from.

Man, I wish we could have but we were the last ones coming in before dark. The spotlight from the clubhouse was shining down on the green when we were coming in.

Mid Pines was in great shape on (edit: had wrong day) Friday. My group had played Tobacco Road and #4 the previous two days and they were both super soaked with casual water covering most of the fairways. We weren't too optimistic about Mid Pines, but I am so glad we went. The fairways were still pretty firm and there were only a few moist spots where we had to take relief. The greens rolled great, too. I definitely rank MP ahead of PN now. MP is way up there on the list for me now. Fantastic course!

57eacc7e96.jpeg

57f83ebfba.jpeg

57eaca5bdd.jpeg

Gosh the course looks good. I am coming Mid March and only have time for one round so I've been torn between Mid Pines and Pine Needles. I currently have a tee time at Pine Needles as it is supposed to be the more "tournament" style golf course and I love hard golf courses with great layouts. These pictures have me questioning my decision.

Mid Pines was in great shape on (edit: had wrong day) Friday. My group had played Tobacco Road and #4 the previous two days and they were both super soaked with casual water covering most of the fairways. We weren't too optimistic about Mid Pines, but I am so glad we went. The fairways were still pretty firm and there were only a few moist spots where we had to take relief. The greens rolled great, too. I definitely rank MP ahead of PN now. MP is way up there on the list for me now. Fantastic course!

Gosh the course looks good. I am coming Mid March and only have time for one round so I've been torn between Mid Pines and Pine Needles. I currently have a tee time at Pine Needles as it is supposed to be the more "tournament" style golf course and I love hard golf courses with great layouts. These pictures have me questioning my decision.

I've said it before, I prefer Mid Pines over Pine Needles by just a little bit. If you want to see some more pretty pictures, check these out:

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/mid-pines/

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/pine-needles/

You won't go wrong either way. To me, MidPines is a little more interesting piece of land, a few more slopes. MidPines is on one continuous piece of property, so you can see a lot of other holes from many parts of the course, while Pine Needles kind of weaves through some neighborhoods. You won't really see many homes, you won't feel cramped, but you won't see any other holes either. Pine Needles has a little more length available, 7000 yards (par 71) from their medal tees, but the "Ross" tees there are 6400 yards, compared to 6700 (par 72) at Mid Pines, pretty similar considering the difference in par.

So, I played Pine Needles 3 times last year and absolutely loved it. Once in April and twice in July. This was my first time playing Mid Pines and I have to say I'd rate it above Pine Needles. It's like comparing two hall of famers, so there's no wrong choice. If I'm doing the 10 rounds bit where I divide them between both courses, I'd go at least 6-4 in favor of Mid Pines. Probably 7-3. It's less of a knock on Pine Needles and more of a boost for Mid Pines.

I was really impressed by Mid Pines.

So, I played Pine Needles 3 times last year and absolutely loved it. Once in April and twice in July. This was my first time playing Mid Pines and I have to say I'd rate it above Pine Needles. It's like comparing two hall of famers, so there's no wrong choice. If I'm doing the 10 rounds bit where I divide them between both courses, I'd go at least 6-4 in favor of Mid Pines. Probably 7-3. It's less of a knock on Pine Needles and more of a boost for Mid Pines.

I was really impressed by Mid Pines.

Great photos...took some of the same ones two weeks ago :D Both MP / PN are in great shape. I will say having played both back to back on Friday the 15th it is a TOUGH choice. I was a MP fan by far but PN moved up a lot this last trip. There is no way you can go wrong with either...! PN is more tourney though it that is what your are after.

The real gem for us this trip was MID SOUTH... Dave can tell more about it but I will hands down say that is must play too now. It was excellent and on the list for sure when we go back.

EDIT: We played TR again. Second time playing it. Played it well given it was my second time and knew what to do this time around but its 11-12 great holes and 6-7 holes you go "REALLY" hahahaha. I would tell everyone to play it once but twice I am pretty sure is enough for me now.

The real gem for us this trip was MID SOUTH... Dave can tell more about it but I will hands down say that is must play too now. It was excellent and on the list for sure when we go back.

EDIT: We played TR again. Second time playing it. Played it well given it was my second time and knew what to do this time around but its 11-12 great holes and 6-7 holes you go "REALLY" hahahaha. I would tell everyone to play it once but twice I am pretty sure is enough for me now.

Yeah, part of our membership with the condo at Talamore is membership at MidSouth too. MS might not be in the top 5 in the area, but its not far below that. But that's pretty off-topic in a thread about Pine Needles and Mid Pines, so I'll stop now.

• 2 weeks later...

Mid Pines is one of my top 5 favorite courses that I've ever played. Been all over the world and played Pebble, Oakmont, Congressional, #2, Merion, etc. and pretty much every course in Hawaii and a whole bunch in the UK to include St. Andrews Old, I still count Mid-Pines in the top 5. It's not as difficult as #2 or even it's sister course- Pine Needles, but if you give me a selection of courses to play in that area, I'm choosing Mid-Pines every time. The current ownership now realizes what a diamond in the rough they have and are restoring it to original condition. Now if they could tear down the old motel rooms, the caddy barracks and other buildings that are not used, now your talking about a world class facility.

i played MP back in february and it was in beautiful condition - just a few spots that were wetter than most and had a few balls that got some mud on them.

i'm going back down to pinehurst area this weekend and will be playing Pine Needles on friday - i'll take pics and whatnot if anyone is interested; i can also report back with observations.

i wish my wife would just let us move down there already (haha)

1398f186971b05b7e440b3f40b8df857.jpg1fb7d4efd5c188e162df58b172a87cd0.jpgc62bd6865bd759e3f57ae3074633499a.jpg6484697d843344a958cf7e421e762c33.jpgb536a4e7db981794abaa65cbac16599b.jpg

Qi10 LS / 8* (dialed to 8.75*) / HZRDUS Smoke Green 60 6.5

Qi10 Tour / 3w / Denali Blue 70TX

Mizuno Pro 24 Fli-Hi / 3i / HZRDUS Smoke Black RDX 100 6.5
Mizuno Pro 245 / 4-GW / KBS Tour X

SM9 Black / 54,58 / KBS Tour S+

Odyssey AI-ONE 7CH 35”