2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Pine Needles/ Mid Pines

sdhayes135

Played Pin Needles back in November. If you're a member of the Carolinas Golf Association they offered FREE replays. We wound up playing 36 at Pine Needles for the price of 18.

Not sure if they're still running that deal but depending on how much it costs to join CGA, it may be worth checking out.

Amazing course, have fun!

Great to know. I am a member. Going to play MP and PN in June. Will inquire. Did they advertise that or how did you find out?

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's a review of Mid Pines posted this week by Graylyn Loomis. Looks gorgeous for being only March.

http://www.graylynlo...-resort-review/

Playing there in May, thanks for posting!

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

Here's a review of Mid Pines posted this week by Graylyn Loomis. Looks gorgeous for being only March.

Have a great time. If you need additional visual fuel for your appetite, check out the spread here:

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/mid-pines/

Played Pin Needles back in November. If you're a member of the Carolinas Golf Association they offered FREE replays. We wound up playing 36 at Pine Needles for the price of 18.

Not sure if they're still running that deal but depending on how much it costs to join CGA, it may be worth checking out.

Amazing course, have fun!

Great to know. I am a member. Going to play MP and PN in June. Will inquire. Did they advertise that or how did you find out?

Sorry - just saw this notification. I went with a friend of mine who was the CGA member.

I think he called the course and asked if they had specials for CGA.

Have a great time. If you need additional visual fuel for your appetite, check out the spread here:

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/usa/mid-pines/

Thanks!

"We're not here for a long time... we're here for a good time." 

Mizuno JPX 900 Driver w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Mizuno JPX 900 3W, 5W w/ Speeder Evo II 661 Stiff
Titleist AP3 4, 5 irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0
Titleist AP2 6 - GW irons w/ Project X LZ 6.0

Callaway Jaws Tour Grey 54S & 58x w/ Project X LZ 6.0O

Odyssey 2-Ball Ten Tour Lined
Shapland Stand Bag 2.3

Clicgear 4.0

• 2 months later...

Just returned from a trip over the weekend , which included Pine Needles and Mid Pines. I enjoyed PN far more than MP. PN is a lot more open and overall conditioning was much better. . The areas in play at MP were generally in good condition, but the course could stand some capital investment in some tee box's, cart paths, etc. More than a few areas near cart paths completely washed out, old asphalt cart paths in bad shape - they would be better off pulling them out all together and going with full sand/dirt cart paths - Its a classic sandhills look and would show much better. Greens at PN definitely lived up to the Ross greens reputation, but MP not so much. MP greens were in good shape, but not nearly as penal and fast as PN..which was OK and certainly made it more playable. MP requires more of a strategic approach off the tee. PN was mostly Drivers, but you had to think about your approach - often playing to front of green was smart. Obviously I enjoyed both - but the nod for me goes to PN. Overall better course conditions, layout, and customer service were all a notch above MP.

* also played the Cradle on arrival Thursday afternoon. Don't miss this. We thought about scheduling this our last day , but I am really glad we started off with it. A casual low pressure way to loosen up for the rest of the trip...why not just jump right in. $50/Adult (kids free), and free replays. We made it around 3 times. My 7 year old son was with us and I think it certainly was the highlight of his trip. They have music playing on the course in hidden speakers, a bar set up out between 3 & 4....it is a life is good kind of place...

Just returned from a trip over the weekend , which included Pine Needles and Mid Pines. I enjoyed PN far more than MP. PN is a lot more open and overall conditioning was much better. . The areas in play at MP were generally in good condition, but the course could stand some capital investment in some tee box's, cart paths, etc. More than a few areas near cart paths completely washed out, old asphalt cart paths in bad shape - they would be better off pulling them out all together and going with full sand/dirt cart paths - Its a classic sandhills look and would show much better. Greens at PN definitely lived up to the Ross greens reputation, but MP not so much. MP greens were in good shape, but not nearly as penal and fast as PN..which was OK and certainly made it more playable. MP requires more of a strategic approach off the tee. PN was mostly Drivers, but you had to think about your approach - often playing to front of green was smart. Obviously I enjoyed both - but the nod for me goes to PN. Overall better course conditions, layout, and customer service were all a notch above MP.

* also played the Cradle on arrival Thursday afternoon. Don't miss this. We thought about scheduling this our last day , but I am really glad we started off with it. A casual low pressure way to loosen up for the rest of the trip...why not just jump right in. $50/Adult (kids free), and free replays. We made it around 3 times. My 7 year old son was with us and I think it certainly was the highlight of his trip. They have music playing on the course in hidden speakers, a bar set up out between 3 & 4....it is a life is good kind of place...

I played MP / PN last week back to back on Thursday.

I understand removing the cart paths at MP for a more natural feel and in line with the area would be great as they needed some love. That noted, I played Dormie last week also and they have no paths and it gets VERY rough in areas from tee to fairway. Talking with staff I was told it is from the rain runoff washing them out making it really really bad in some cases. So I am sure either direction is an issue in the area.

Interestingly, given the path issues, and yes a few tee boxes need refreshing/leveling I liked MP more then I liked PN by far. It fit my eye and loved the look more. As noted both are excellent but I just thought PN was more a "tourney" course, where as I felt like MP feels more natural, fit into the area provided.

As to greens comment "penal and fast as PN" . Its true but at PN on Wednesday they had a women's open USGA qualifier and had to firm them up for the event. As you noted they were faster and FUN =). According to the marshal both courses are normally very much the same in the summer to ensure they don't burn up....

Just returned from a trip over the weekend , which included Pine Needles and Mid Pines. I enjoyed PN far more than MP. PN is a lot more open and overall conditioning was much better.

I've only played PN/MP in early April, but I'm surprised to hear anyone say that conditioning at MP is anything other than terrific. It's a remarkably maintained course. Will have to experience it in summer sometime.

1. I've heard the same thing, food at these resorts is good, and I've heard that the Sunday Brunch at Mid Pines is phenomenal.

Had the Sunday Brunch at MP once and it was indeed phenomenal. Unfortunate that serious brunching isn't consistent with playing lots of golf!

^ take my “critique “ of MP conditioning with a gain of salt, Haha. To clarify- the conditioning of areas in play were mostly great, I was more so referring to some areas away from play/transition areas- a few bad tee boxes, several washouts, etc, and such. Kind of came across snobbish I Know, but heading into a place with such esteem I just expected all the fine points to be super tight as well. Didn’t diminish its playability at all. Still loved it and can’t wait to be back later this summer with my son for the USKG world championships.

• 2 weeks later...

I thinking of treating myself to a Pine Needles/Mid-Pines combo visit at the end of the summer. Haven’t even seen MP since it was spruced up a couple years back. My previous three trips I felt PN was easily the better of the two, or at least it was my clear favorite. I’m ready to keep an open mind but I love everything about the Pine Needles course so much that it’s little sister will have to really wow me to take top spot in my regard!

One trip I stayed at the Pine Needles lodging (this was quite a few years ago now). A few years later a group of us went together and stayed at a Comfort Inn or some darned thing. Then the third time (maybe 2007-ish?) I stayed at the Pine Crest on the main drag. Charming, glad I did it once, the pork chop was great and all but overall I liked staying right on the PN property.

What’s the Mid-Pines Inn like? Is it too “quaint” and old fashioned or is it pretty comfy?

I thinking of treating myself to a Pine Needles/Mid-Pines combo visit at the end of the summer. Haven’t even seen MP since it was spruced up a couple years back. My previous three trips I felt PN was easily the better of the two, or at least it was my clear favorite. I’m ready to keep an open mind but I love everything about the Pine Needles course so much that it’s little sister will have to really wow me to take top spot in my regard!

One trip I stayed at the Pine Needles lodging (this was quite a few years ago now). A few years later a group of us went together and stayed at a Comfort Inn or some darned thing. Then the third time (maybe 2007-ish?) I stayed at the Pine Crest on the main drag. Charming, glad I did it once, the pork chop was great and all but overall I liked staying right on the PN property.

What’s the Mid-Pines Inn like? Is it too “quaint” and old fashioned or is it pretty comfy?

Did this trip two weeks ago. Stayed at Mid Pines. I am by no means a snob or High standard, but MP Inn was a tired. AC was working overtime and never got bellow 76*. It’s a neat old place, but I would stay across the street at Pine Needles instead.

I thinking of treating myself to a Pine Needles/Mid-Pines combo visit at the end of the summer. Haven't even seen MP since it was spruced up a couple years back. My previous three trips I felt PN was easily the better of the two, or at least it was my clear favorite. I'm ready to keep an open mind but I love everything about the Pine Needles course so much that it's little sister will have to really wow me to take top spot in my regard!

What's the Mid-Pines Inn like? Is it too "quaint" and old fashioned or is it pretty comfy?

Did this trip two weeks ago. Stayed at Mid Pines. I am by no means a snob or High standard, but MP Inn was a tired. AC was working overtime and never got bellow 76*. It's a neat old place, but I would stay across the street at Pine Needles instead.

After letting the idea cogitate for a couple days I'm almost certain I would not like the Mid Pines Inn. If I'm honest, old and quirky really doesn't do anything for me. So it's either Pine Needles Lodge or staying a few miles down the road at the Comfort Inn. My current thinking is Pine Needles Lodge seems more appealing just for the simpler logistics. Park my car the day I arrive, load back up the day I leave, forget driving or schlepping clubs and trolley into the trunk, etc.

Probably ponder it over the weekend and make reservations on Monday. I don't think the PN Lodge is particularly modern or all that great either but it seems comfortable enough. And as my wife says, it's a golf vacation I'm not there to hang out in my room anyway!

I thinking of treating myself to a Pine Needles/Mid-Pines combo visit at the end of the summer. Haven't even seen MP since it was spruced up a couple years back. My previous three trips I felt PN was easily the better of the two, or at least it was my clear favorite. I'm ready to keep an open mind but I love everything about the Pine Needles course so much that it's little sister will have to really wow me to take top spot in my regard!

What's the Mid-Pines Inn like? Is it too "quaint" and old fashioned or is it pretty comfy?

Did this trip two weeks ago. Stayed at Mid Pines. I am by no means a snob or High standard, but MP Inn was a tired. AC was working overtime and never got bellow 76*. It's a neat old place, but I would stay across the street at Pine Needles instead.

After letting the idea cogitate for a couple days I'm almost certain I would not like the Mid Pines Inn. If I'm honest, old and quirky really doesn't do anything for me. So it's either Pine Needles Lodge or staying a few miles down the road at the Comfort Inn. My current thinking is Pine Needles Lodge seems more appealing just for the simpler logistics. Park my car the day I arrive, load back up the day I leave, forget driving or schlepping clubs and trolley into the trunk, etc.

Probably ponder it over the weekend and make reservations on Monday. I don't think the PN Lodge is particularly modern or all that great either but it seems comfortable enough. And as my wife says, it's a golf vacation I'm not there to hang out in my room anyway!

Rather than the Comfort Inn, you might consider the condos (or villas) at Talamore. They can book your rounds at Mid Pines and Pine Needles, and you'll have a little more room than a standard hotel room. Full disclosure, I own one of the units there, and I think they're pretty well run and maintained. Most are 2-BR units, but they have a few 1-BR units if its just you. For location they can't compare to staying at Pine Needles, of course.

I forgot to mention that we (whole family )are staying at PN in August when we are down for the USKG world Champ . Son is playing at MP, so it is convenient. Anyway, while I was down a few weeks ago, I popped into PN Lodge to see if my room was open that I could take a look. By no stretch was it modern, but my quick look inside the room it was much better than MP Inn. I placed a big value in our trip in staying and playing on site. I think PN is $10 more per night , totally worth it from what I saw.

• 2 weeks later...

The days of my trip all the single rooms at Pine Needles were booked up. I didn’t want to do the Mid Pines hotel s I’m staying at one of the off-resort hotels about 10 minutes down the road. Half the price of the resort lodging so that’s a bonus, also free hot breakfast starting at 6am which is nice since I have early AM tee times.

Booked one round st Pine Needles and two at Mid Pines. I will have the option of an afternoon replay one of the MP days if the weather isn’t too hot for 36. NC Sandhills are generally still pretty stifling at Labor Day most years, though.

Played MP this weekend on an aeration special. The greens had been punched but were in good shape nevertheless. Some of the cart paths were washed out as described above but most bothersome was the condition of the tees and some of the fairways. Several tees were almost without grass and the fairways were sparse in some places. That being said it is a great layout and one I’d go back to tomorrow.

Played MP this weekend on an aeration special. The greens had been punched but were in good shape nevertheless. Some of the cart paths were washed out as described above but most bothersome was the condition of the tees and some of the fairways. Several tees were almost without grass and the fairways were sparse in some places. That being said it is a great layout and one I’d go back to tomorrow.

Too many trees, doesn't get enough air circulation.

I could play MP all the time, rate it as one of my favorite courses I have played. As TadWPJ noted there is not enough air circulation. I asked about the tees thinking it was just from summer heat when I played it last month and the marshal said the same thing or so a combo of heat and lack of air circulation.

Still a fantastic course...

I'm playing Pine Needles with some friends on the morning of 7/23. Was able to play back in April but am looking forward to a second round!

We're probably going to do a replay on Mid Pines after the round at Pine Needles. Sorry to hear about some tee boxes and fairways at MP. I'm sure the greens will be back to tip-top shape by the time I'm there in 11 days.

I'm playing Pine Needles with some friends on the morning of 7/23. Was able to play back in April but am looking forward to a second round!

We're probably going to do a replay on Mid Pines after the round at Pine Needles. Sorry to hear about some tee boxes and fairways at MP. I'm sure the greens will be back to tip-top shape by the time I'm there in 11 days.

Please report back. My son has a big Tmnt there in 3 weekS,I would love to hear how the greens are rolling from you.

Please report back. My son has a big Tmnt there in 3 weekS,I would love to hear how the greens are rolling from you.

Definitely will! Gonna take some pics and post them here, too. Of both courses.

• 2 weeks later...

The tee boxes were pretty beat up, but that doesn't matter too much to me. The greens were alright, but they were a little sandy and on the slow side. Overall, the course was in good shape. Just wish the greens were quicker!

The tee boxes were pretty beat up, but that doesn't matter too much to me. The greens were alright, but they were a little sandy and on the slow side. Overall, the course was in good shape. Just wish the greens were quicker!

Thanks for getting back to me. Junior tees will be set up somewhere in fairway so no concern there. What would you guess the greens stimping at?

Thanks for getting back to me. Junior tees will be set up somewhere in fairway so no concern there. What would you guess the greens stimping at?

No problem. I’d have to guess between 9-10? My ball stopped on some slopes it shouldn’t have. The ball still rolled smoothly.