2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

Pine Needles/ Mid Pines

sdhayes135

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody played either in the last few days? Wondering if they got as much rain as we have over the past two weeks up here in DC.

I don't know, but the sandy soil there will soak up a whole lot more rain than our clayey soil around DC can handle.

Good pic's. looks like the greens may have been punched recently?

Three weeks ago by this: Aeration Schedule

Thanks! Very helpful.

Typically how is the shape of Midpines/Pine Needles leading up to aeration?

Was going to pop over in July, but ended up going elsewhere, so now thinking of a mid-late Sept trip.

[url="http://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vTOZNxdsDKajrKxaUCRjcU8eB7URcAMpaCWN-67Bt6QG8rmBUPYW3QAQ7k87BlYizIMKJzEhuzqr9OQ/pubhtml?gid=0&single=true"]WITB[/url] | [url="http://tinyurl.com/CoursesPlayedList"]Courses Played list[/url] |  [url="http://tinyurl.com/25GolfingFaves"] 25 Faves [/url]

F.T.

Played last Saturday and Mid Pines was in really bad shape. Not worth playing IMO.

As I reported earlier in the summer, I played in June and was surprised at the course condition. I expected better. I wonder if it’s just a bad year or are there some functional or design issues that are causing problems. It’s been 5 years since the restoration , maybe time for them to take a closer look at areas like tee boxes (which really don’t matter, but look bad when you charge + $100), washed out cart paths, etc. love the course design and from a playability standpoint it was fine, but hate to see the periphery neglected.

• 4 months later...

We (the family) just got back from a stay at Pine Needles, where we played both PN and MP and the cradle (teed off from mats). My son also played Pinehurst no1. The courses were in very good shape as far as I was concerned. The area had a ton of rain and there was very few spots of standing water (Pinehurst no 1 was by far the wettest course). PN was a better course as far as conditions and like others have said, is friendlier off the tee. The greens were faster and tougher as well. That is not to say MP was at all bad, just preference I think. MP requires precise iron play as well as accuracy off the tee but both are great courses. The carts paths were a bit of mess on MP but the tee boxes were fine, as mentioned before in this thread.

We stayed in the putter lodge at pine needles and the room was nice. Nothing overly fancy but also not going to gross you out. While we didn’t see the rooms at MP, the whole building just seems much more dated ... all and all pine needles seems like the clear choice If you are picking between the two. The practice area there was also much better.

We ate mostly at pine needles and it was a bit pricey but most the food was very good and the duck hook cream ale was great! Be warned that we are from New York and it’s been a tough winter so far and all of this may have just been us being over joyed about being outside in the sun and playing golf for the first time in a few months

Planning on playing Pine Needles/Mid Pines in middle of March on a buddies trip. First time playing these courses. Planning on 1 round Friday-Saturday, maybe with a round at the Cradle. 36 on Sunday and fly back to NY on Monday. Can't wait. Any tips on Pine Needles/Mid Pines? Familiar with the area, as I've been going down for the last 10 years.

Driver Srixon ZX7 10.5* Tensai Blue 44.5 inches
3W: ZX Fairway 15* Rogue 70s
Hybrids: ZX Hybrid 3/4 Smoke Black 6.0 
Irons: ZX5 4 iron, ZX7 5-PW, Modus 120 2* upright, + 1/2 inch S300
Wedges: 52* RTX ZipCore RAW, RTX Full Face Black Tour Satin 58* DG Spinner Wedge Flex
Putter: FrontLine Elevado 35 inches

Pine needles greens were fast with quite a few false fronts that fall off into bunkers and low areas. Mid pines greens were not as fast and not as penal but your irons need to be on to give yourself any chance at a good score. I think the best way to approach these courses is like most Ross courses and keep the ball below the hole (it was hard to be so discipline). Neither courses is overly long and while pine needles is more forgiving off the tee it is by no means wide open. The cradle was great fun and just hanging around Pinehurst for the day was a great experience for us. Pine needles also has a four hole practice loop that looked pretty cool though we did not have time to play it. I imagine you will be seeing the best conditions those courses have to offer which should be a real treat. Have fun!

• 1 month later...

I’m heading out to play the Pine Needles Invitational in a couple of weeks...very excited to see the property for the first time. With that said, any thoughts/ideas/tips/etc for Pine Needles &/or Mid Pines would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what kind of course conditions should I expect in a couple of weeks there?

Thank you!

I'm heading out to play the Pine Needles Invitational in a couple of weeks...very excited to see the property for the first time. With that said, any thoughts/ideas/tips/etc for Pine Needles &/or Mid Pines would be greatly appreciated.

Also, what kind of course conditions should I expect in a couple of weeks there?

Thank you!

The main tip, as with many Donald Ross Courses, hit the middle of the green. Flag-hunting will get you missed greens, with the ball rolling away down the closely-mown slopes. Second tip, putting from off the green is a really valuable tool, practice it.

Sorry if it has come up but just curious if you had to play one in mid June which would it be?

I like MidPines best. But that's subjective, lots of people prefer Pine Needles. MP is on a single plot of land, you can see a lot of the golf course through the trees. PN runs out through housing, although you can hardly see the housing in most places. MP has the best 19th hole to sit and have a beverage and watch people play the final hole.

Sorry if it has come up but just curious if you had to play one in mid June which would it be?

I'm Mid Pines 8/10 rounds. Pine Needles really didn't catch my eye like Mid Pines did

Callaway Paradym 💎💎💎 8.0 HZRDUS 6.5
Ping G425 LST 14.5 Ping Tour 75X
Cobra King Tec 19.0 Tour AD DI-105 X
Miura AS-1 4-P Dynamic Golf Tour Issue X100
Mizuno T20 50,55,60 Dynamic Gold 120 Tour Issue
Scotty Cameron X5

Mid Pines would be my vote also. It has more feel and character to me than Pine Needles. The way I felt was Mid Pines is not a "tournament" course, but I would say Pine Needles has that impression. (If that makes sense) Just a fantastic layout and feel.

From what I remember reading, your impression is what Donald Ross intended. Pine Needles was to be the more challenging tournament course, and MidPines was more for recreation.

Another vote for Mid Pines.

Driver: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Project X HZRDUS Smoke RDX Black 60

3 Wood: TaylorMade Sim2 Max - Fujikura Ventus Blue 6

3 Hybrid: TaylorMade Sim2 Rescue - Tensei AV Raw Blue

4I - GW: Taylor Made PSI - KBS C-Taper 105

SW: Titleist SM5 - 54 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

LW: Titleist SM5 - 60 - True Temper Dynamic Gold

Putter: 2022 Titleist Scotty Cameron Phantom X 5.5

Played Mid Pines on Tuesday, Pine Needles Wednesday. First tournament of the year, trying out new equipment and they chewed me up and spat me out!!

Pine Needles was in better condition in my opinion. Mid Pines had over seeded the fairways and had some iffy lies. Also the tournament director played the ball down despite all the rain so we had a lot of mud balls, not fun!

Both courses soaked in history, just take in all in and enjoy!

Played both last Friday. Mid Pines had a few spotty areas in the fairways. Pine Needles the fairways grew in better/quicker not many spotty areas. *when I state spotty they are growing in very well just the little low spots that the grass is still coming in, almost like from punching. By the time you play they should be GREAT.

Greens are both in great shape, true and FAST. Pine Needles was rolling quick for sure. Its dormant grass right now from being cool but they are rolling them and they are quick.

From MidPines, your closest good choices are in Southern Pines rather than Pinehurst:

Etalia, wood-fired thin crust pizza, Pennsylvania Ave between Broad Street and Rte 1

Bell Tree Tavern, Broad Street near New Hampshire, nice bar food, back beer garden if the weather is good

Sly Fox Gastropub, Morganton Road and South Broad Street, English style pub, including a couple of good curry dishes

Chef Warren's, casual "fine dining", one block north of the Bell Tree

Those are a few of my favorites, and I know there are lots of other choices. Enjoy!

Etalia is closed.

From MidPines, your closest good choices are in Southern Pines rather than Pinehurst:

Etalia, wood-fired thin crust pizza, Pennsylvania Ave between Broad Street and Rte 1

Bell Tree Tavern, Broad Street near New Hampshire, nice bar food, back beer garden if the weather is good

Sly Fox Gastropub, Morganton Road and South Broad Street, English style pub, including a couple of good curry dishes

Chef Warren's, casual "fine dining", one block north of the Bell Tree

Those are a few of my favorites, and I know there are lots of other choices. Enjoy!

Etalia is closed.

I read that, as of January 1, 2019. I need to find a new pizza place.

Mid Pines was in great shape on (edit: had wrong day) Friday. My group had played Tobacco Road and #4 the previous two days and they were both super soaked with casual water covering most of the fairways. We weren't too optimistic about Mid Pines, but I am so glad we went. The fairways were still pretty firm and there were only a few moist spots where we had to take relief. The greens rolled great, too. I definitely rank MP ahead of PN now. MP is way up there on the list for me now. Fantastic course!

57eacc7e96.jpeg

57f83ebfba.jpeg

57eaca5bdd.jpeg