Is anyone using stats to focus their practice? If so, what app?

I'm wondering if anyone here is using stats to focus their practice and what is done for their game. Are there some apps that have stoked gained and have proved helpful to practice focus?

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZX5 MkII 4-5 / ZX7 MkII 6-P  Modus 120X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Vokey SM9 54S/60M Modus 125 Wedge
Nike Neo

ZStar

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No disrespect meant, but do you really need to track your stats to know if your short game is not good? Do you need to track stats to know you are not hitting fairways and greens, or if you 3-putt a lot?

I've been playing golf for over 50 years, and at one time kept track of fairways hit, GIR, up and downs, putts, etc. It didn't really tell me anything I didn't know, and took time to mark my scorecard and transfer it to an excel spreadsheet I had set up. I knew my short game, especially greenside wasn't good. It didn't take a stat tracker to point that out. Bladed and chunked chips told me I needed to work on it.

Bottom line, it's your decision, but I would bet tracking your stats wouldn't tell you anything about your game you didn't already know.

I play up & down on practice green, par is 2, play 30 or so from 30-90 feet and no two exactly alike. Score it, try to get best percentage, go on course know my odds. Had a round where I went 9/12 on U&D and 27 putts. Credit that. Started doing this on range with short, and mid irons, going after faux greens, 'fairways' w/ metals again ascertain a percentage, been winter so cannot say if it works but it's helped change how I practice and adds practical focus. The process is a bit of a pressure test, a crucible and is helpful to mental game too.

Bottom line, it's your decision, but I would bet tracking your stats wouldn't tell you anything about your game you didn't already know.

I disagree. People have pride and ego that blinds them to issues in their games and have scar tissue that keeps them from being as confident in other areas.

You may be right. I can only relate this to myself. I just knew, without tracking my stats, that I had to improve my chipping/pitching. There was no pride or ego involved. I wanted lower scores. So, I worked on my short game, and my scores went down.

I disagree. People have pride and ego that blinds them to issues in their games and have scar tissue that keeps them from being as confident in other areas.

Unfortunately I am not one of them. I am very realistic about what I can and cannot do on the golf course. One thing I have learned is that ego (not confidence), is usually detrimental to playing good golf. :-)

I think most am's could work on any part of their game and improve.

What stats do is give you a priority order that can be cross referenced against where the best value is

Your driving penalties are killing you

Your short putting is killing you

Your bunker play sucks but it's the last thing you need to improve on as your not in many and your wedges suck.

Lag putting is good though - you have way too many - bump wedges up in priority

I'd agree though, for most stats only back up gut feeling, but on occasion it will show up some nuggests..

Stats and data are endlessly valuable to someone other than the average golfer

2014 Low 2.9
2015 Low 2.6
2016 Low 2.1
2017 Target 1.4
2018 Target 0.4
2019 Target +15
Current 0.2

Stats just help me to set targets - I know I need to hit more greens from 160 - 100 yards and need to reduce my number of 3 putts. I've been using stats to help me quantify the target (average 10 hcp player). That's my initial target as I try to get my hcp from 14 back down to 10. Once I get to 10, then I will make the goals more challenging.

Just an older guy with 7 or 8 clubs and a MacKenzie Sunday Walker bag

No disrespect meant, but do you really need to track your stats to know if your short game is not good? Do you need to track stats to know you are not hitting fairways and greens, or if you 3-putt a lot?

I've been playing golf for over 50 years, and at one time kept track of fairways hit, GIR, up and downs, putts, etc. It didn't really tell me anything I didn't know, and took time to mark my scorecard and transfer it to an excel spreadsheet I had set up. I knew my short game, especially greenside wasn't good. It didn't take a stat tracker to point that out. Bladed and chunked chips told me I needed to work on it.

I agree with you, I think these things have always been tracked. Just nowadays someone invented a way to break it down a bit more . Either way, you should know where to improve.

Gamegolf has a free app where you see an overhead satellite view of the course with your shots overlaid onto it.

It attaches to some smart watches too or you get the Bluetooth device (you wear on your belt) and the grip caps.

It takes an extra 5 seconds each shot is the only draw back.

If you don't have a watch or want to buy the Bluetooth device , then the app is free you just have to pull your phone out for every shot which would take 20 seconds extra per shot. Which is almost impossible per round .

IMHO, it depends on WHAT you track and record. Simple stuff like FIR and GIR are, IMO, insufficient.

You need to know WHERE you are missing Fairways so you can work on it. A key here is also recording the Approach shot distance. You might be FIR, but too far from a green to realistically get GIR.

You need to know WHERE you are missing greens (short, short left, short right, pin high left, pin high right, long left, long right, etc. etc) so you can work on the issues (dispersion, distance or both)

Also, up n down stats from sand, fringe, etc. NOT just up n down as each have different impacts (sand vs rough vs clean grass fringe).

Then record first putt distance, not just number of putts. If Approach shots are GIR, but 40m from pin all the time, GIR stat looks good, but, AS isn't close enough to give a birdie chance.

So you need to know what the true stats are so you know your weakness, usual shots and where to focus practice or lessons.

Plenty of tech, apps, tags for clubs etc. Like Game golf, Arccoss, etc or simple pen and paper.

Personally I find pen n paper help me stay focused on course, tech on course distracts me. And, record stat, forget error, focus on next shot. Don't even add up score until back in clubhouse. Only thing important is THE SHOT you are ABOUT to execute. Put your mental focus into that, and only that.

Using all of the above, I've gone from a handicap of 27, to 18, to shooting an even par 9 holes (was 2 under through 8 until focus wandered) in 12 months.

Get the DECADE app. No statistical tracking app even comes close to the information and tracking software that Scott has developed.

If you are serious about your game and want to improve, or play tournament golf, DECADE is the only answer.

$200 for six months then $20 a month? Wow!

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Nike Neo

ZStar

If you’re looking for meaningful statistics, you need some variation of strokes gained/lost. As someone mentioned above, standard stats (fairways, GIRs, putts) don’t tell you jack. You need to know how bad your misses are hurting you, and that’s what strokes gained/lost will tell you.

Take a look at ShotByShot. You get a free round to test it, after that I think it’s a flat rate of $70/year or something. Seems pricey for an app but the stats are good. My only issue is spending the time on course to track all that’s required. It takes focus away from my round knowing after every hole I have to punch in a bunch of data. So I didn’t use it after the free trial:). But if you’re ok with doing that you’ll probably enjoy this app

If you’re looking for meaningful statistics, you need some variation of strokes gained/lost. As someone mentioned above, standard stats (fairways, GIRs, putts) don’t tell you jack. You need to know how bad your misses are hurting you, and that’s what strokes gained/lost will tell you.

Take a look at ShotByShot. You get a free round to test it, after that I think it’s a flat rate of $70/year or something. Seems pricey for an app but the stats are good. My only issue is spending the time on course to track all that’s required. It takes focus away from my round knowing after every hole I have to punch in a bunch of data. So I didn’t use it after the free trial:). But if you’re ok with doing that you’ll probably enjoy this app

The other option is to record the data on course using pen n paper then enter data when home (or in the clubhouse having a refreshment).

I looked into doing that with shot by shot. But, stats and comparisons for strokes gained is in yards. I'm in Australia, use metres, and converting or changing just too hard, too confusing.

I also found the strokes gained calculation and stats added another layer of complexity for me.

I like simple.

My tracking showed up and down ok for an 18 hc, but my issue was approach shot distance due to either in trouble off tee or not long enough so realistic GIR was not possible. So, I worked on driver set up, driver swing, consistency with driver, while maintaining short game.

Then, as driver got me into realistic GIR chances, I then found the common misses of GIR, so worked on mid iron to wedges for dispersion and distance.

Now, it's a mental game thing. I know I can score well, but, stuff up by overswing or misshit when not focussed. Or, make silly choices on course, like going for the miracle punch n run out of trees between or through a small gap only to find it hits a tree, goes deeper into trouble and thus costs me more shots than if I'd taken a simple n easier path out on the first shot.

I play up & down on practice green, par is 2, play 30 or so from 30-90 feet and no two exactly alike. Score it, try to get best percentage, go on course know my odds. Had a round where I went 9/12 on U&D and 27 putts. Credit that. Started doing this on range with short, and mid irons, going after faux greens, 'fairways' w/ metals again ascertain a percentage, been winter so cannot say if it works but it's helped change how I practice and adds practical focus. The process is a bit of a pressure test, a crucible and is helpful to mental game too.

That's my short game "recovery" up n down practice too... I use 5 balls, thrown randomly onto fringe of practice green (or if no one around on course during an afternoon practice round).

I too aim for par of 2 from there.

If chip or pitch poor result, puts pressure on putter.

Doing this I've found my mental focus on short putts (so good or better chips) was my downfall. I'd concentrate more, take more time, and sink more from say 2m out, than 1m. I'd be missing the easier 1m ones more because I took it too easy and didn't concentrate enough.

From this practice I then know on course to focus on all putts, but more importantly not lose it mentally if I didn't get the chip or pitch close.

So, stats to practice to improvement is all linked IMHO.

I've been using Shot By Shot and have found it really useful. I keep track of my stats in a book then input that data into the app after the round but it's still easy enough to do mid round if you wish, I just don't usually have my phone on me. I like that it breaks down all aspects of your game as to how many strokes you are losing per round in that area when compared to scratch and gives you improvement priorities.

There is a book OP might want to read "Every Shot Counts".

I bought it but haven't had time to read it.

Ironic as I've been playing golf too much. Lol

I've read it, and now I'm looking for apps that have strokes gained that don't cost $20 a month to use.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Nike Neo

ZStar

Decade is so expensive but I'm so intrigued.

Game Golf Live units are down to $90 on Amazon. I think I'm going to try one. It has all kinds of strokes gained stats plus others. If I don't like it, Amazon's return policy is awesome.

TSR3 9° Tensei Black 65X
TSi2 15° ATX Green 75TX
917F 18° ATX Green 85X
ZipCore 50° Modus 120X

Nike Neo

ZStar

I’ve been using the original GameGolf for a couple of years. It’s a very easy way to track all of the info you are looking for.

Ping G400 Max Ventus Blue TR

Ping G425 Tensi Orange 3W

Ping G30 5W Tensi Orange 5W

Ping G425 Hybrid Tensi Orange 4H

Ping G425 5-S Recoil 780 ES Smacwrap F4

Ping Glide LW

Bettinardi Studio 28cs

It was a no-brainer for me. He could charge $50/ month and it would still be worth it. I'm not super rich either. It will lower ANY golfer's score if implemented into their game.

There is nothing like it. A lesson with the best teacher in the world isn't going to help you this much. No piece of new equipment or ANYTHING in golf will help a golfer's game more than DECAD

But yet people spend more than DOUBLE the cost on ONE new club that won't shave even half of a stroke per round. For $200 your game is guaranteed to improve and actually shoot lower scores. Nothing else in the golf industry has that.

That's why it was a no-brainer for me.

It was a no-brainer for me. He could charge $50/ month and it would still be worth it. I'm not super rich either. It will lower ANY golfer's score if implemented into their game.

There is nothing like it. A lesson with the best teacher in the world isn't going to help you this much. No piece of new equipment or ANYTHING in golf will help a golfer's game more than DECAD

But yet people spend more than DOUBLE the cost on ONE new club that won't shave even half of a stroke per round. For $200 your game is guaranteed to improve and actually shoot lower scores. Nothing else in the golf industry has that.

Wow that’s a strong endorsement. What’s the total cost of the app for one year?

G400 LST - TPT proto
TM M3 - Rogue Silver 110MSI 70S
21* Fourteen Type 7 Driving Iron - HZRDUS Black 6.5 105g
4 - PW Mizuno MP 18 MMC - SteelFiber FC115
50, 54, 60 RC Dual Bite - SteelFiber i125
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Wow that's a strong endorsement. What's the total cost of the app for one year?

So $200 for the first 6 months + $20/month after that.

The more I read about it the more interesting it seems.

Kacer - what effect would you say the app has had on your handicap, or if you golf for a living, on your game?

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black

Kacer - what effect would you say the app has had on your handicap, or if you golf for a living, on your game?

My handicap before DECADE was +1.2 and after having it for 13 months now (mind you I live in Utah and play from April-October, with occasional winter rounds) my handicap is +2.7

That's the effect that it's had on my game. The strategy part really helped my game. I apparently had no clue what I was doing off of the tee, so that has helped my game tremendously.

Also it's helped my expectation management and my mental approach to the game with understanding that you can play great golf hitting less than great shots.

The video content that is pushed to you for your game is awesome. And it won't give you new content until you improve in that area of your game on the app. So unless you statistically improve, you will get the same content in the "for you" area.

You also get a great insight on how the best players in the world win tournaments, how they come about, and how you can apply that knowledge into your game. Scott has done amazing research on how Tiger won a ton of tournaments, and how he approached the game. It's fascinating how deep Scott has gone into developing a strategy that is implementable and not just some arbitrary advice like "aim at the middle of the green" or whatever has been regurgitated over and over.

It gives you a process for your pre-shot routine, so you can pick a specific target for your shot, and knowing that you have the correct target for your shot to make the lowest score possible over a period of time you have confidence to pull the trigger and make a great swing. You can't describe it until you experience for yourself.

One more thing and then I'll be done. It has lessened the deviation from my lowest scores to my highest scores. Most of my rounds were between 70-74 last season with my highest being a 76 and lowest being 64. The low ones sprinkle in here and there, the high ones are very rare, and you know about how you will play every time you play, no matter the course, casual or tournament round. That's my favorite thing about it.

The whole point is to lower your SCORING AVERAGE. And that is by playing the correct strategy you get the most out of your game no matter your skill level.

Then it gives you specific areas to work on to lower your scoring average so you become a better player over time.

Nothing in golf like it.

You have to track the stats correctly so you can identify tendencies. For instance, rather than just the number of 3 putts, mark down the distance to the hole for the first putt, and the second putt. Is it the lag putting that is insufficient, or is it simply missing short putts? Also, what side of the hole are you missing the short putt, and what was the break of that putt?

Yeah, these are a lot of details, but you can bet every tour pro knows these types of tendencies.

Blogging about all things golf on my blog at [url="https://www.scottcolegolf.com"]Scott Cole Golf[/url]. Will be getting back to teaching part time in 2019!

My handicap before DECADE was +1.2 and after having it for 13 months now (mind you I live in Utah and play from April-October, with occasional winter rounds) my handicap is +2.7

That's the effect that it's had on my game. The strategy part really helped my game. I apparently had no clue what I was doing off of the tee, so that has helped my game tremendously.

Also it's helped my expectation management and my mental approach to the game with understanding that you can play great golf hitting less than great shots.

The video content that is pushed to you for your game is awesome. And it won't give you new content until you improve in that area of your game on the app. So unless you statistically improve, you will get the same content in the "for you" area.

You also get a great insight on how the best players in the world win tournaments, how they come about, and how you can apply that knowledge into your game. Scott has done amazing research on how Tiger won a ton of tournaments, and how he approached the game. It's fascinating how deep Scott has gone into developing a strategy that is implementable and not just some arbitrary advice like "aim at the middle of the green" or whatever has been regurgitated over and over.

It gives you a process for your pre-shot routine, so you can pick a specific target for your shot, and knowing that you have the correct target for your shot to make the lowest score possible over a period of time you have confidence to pull the trigger and make a great swing. You can't describe it until you experience for yourself.

One more thing and then I'll be done. It has lessened the deviation from my lowest scores to my highest scores. Most of my rounds were between 70-74 last season with my highest being a 76 and lowest being 64. The low ones sprinkle in here and there, the high ones are very rare, and you know about how you will play every time you play, no matter the course, casual or tournament round. That's my favorite thing about it.

The whole point is to lower your SCORING AVERAGE. And that is by playing the correct strategy you get the most out of your game no matter your skill level.

Then it gives you specific areas to work on to lower your scoring average so you become a better player over time.

Nothing in golf like it.

Thanks Kacer. Pretty awesome review of the app.

Having a better understanding of the mental side of things is something I'm looking forward to a lot.

G400 LST - TPT proto
Evnroll ER5
Snell MTB Black