2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Best Course Anywhere in Michigan?

kgeisler13

You HAVE to check out Eagle Eye in Bath just north of Lansing. The sister course Hawk Hollow is pretty decent too (and decent price). The 17th at Eagle Eye is is very similar to the 17th at TPC Sawgrass stadium course you will either love it or hate it depending on your tee shot haha. I dont think the 17th is the best have they have to offer either. Definitely worth checking out

Not sure I would put it as top in state with so many great courses (Arcadia, Forest Dunes, Kingsley, True North,etc..) but I did play 36 at Eagle last year on a golf weekend up from Ohio and really enjoyed it. The staff, the layout, the conditioning were all great. I would certainly like to play it again sometime. On the other hand I thought Hawk Hollow was nice but nothing special at all.

I totally agree with you. Its just seems like a lot of people dont know too much about it and many people are already driving by it on their way up north to the really good stuff. Specially coming from Ohio, Eagle Eye is good "pit stop" and since Hawk Hollow is right next door and cheeper well why not??? Haha (My eyes see a golf course and the brain instantly says "must go there now!!!") Hope your enjoyed your trip and have a good season this year!!

1. Forest Dunes

2. Arcadia

3. Kingsley

4 True North

5. Sundance (At Ag-a-ming) and the Gales (completely didn't style of golf but loved it

I too love playing Eagle Eye

PXG Gen5 7.5* Ventus Velocore TR Blue 6S

Taylormade SIM2 Ti 3/5 Project X Blue RDX 6.0

Titleist U505 2 Iron GD Tour AD DI85 S

Srixon ZX 4 Iron Ventus Velocore blue 8S

PXG 0311T Gen5 S 4/5-PW

PXG Sugar Daddy 52/54/58

PXG Battle Ready Black Jack  

So many to choose from! I've played about 170 so far in Michigan and my top 5 are as follows: 1. Greywalls. Super difficult but the scenery is amazing. 2. The Tribute. Just great views and a big course. 3. Coyote Preserve. How many courses can you remember every hole?? 4. Arcadia Bluffs #1 in the state. 5. Cedar River. Good combo of holes. Best private course is Lost Dunes. Good luck getting on!!

• 2 weeks later...

I read (maybe here) that The Tribute isn't going to open this year. That would be a shame but honestly, the time we were there (late July weekend) the place was empty. The best track nobody ever heard of.

I was there in June. No booze, horrible conditions.

Up for sale starting bid is $800K in late June pry will go for over $1.6M I would imagine for for 700 acres.... let me know if anyone wants to throw in lol

The course looked awesome from pictures but running a golf course is tough business these days. If the old mgmt couldn't make money at it, what would new mgmt do differently to make it successful? Especially since they probably would have to pour cash into it upfront to get it back to playing shape. Just have seen very few courses that switch ownership and suddenly become successful. Their first order of business is probably try and figure out how to get more traffic on the courses...by all accounts they were always empty. What a shame.

Man, going through this thread has really made me miss Michigan golf. Just the depth of quality courses. You don't really get that down here in NC. Certainly one of the few things I miss about Michigan.

That said, here's a few of the courses I enjoy/miss

-Pilgrim's Run

-Arcadia Bluffs

-Lincoln Hills CC in Ludington

-L.E. Kaufman GC in GR - best greens of any public course in the city

-Boulder Creek CC - two vastly different 9s but I really enjoy the course, especially the front

-Battle Creek CC

-Katke GC - Ferris alum here and the course was incredible last time I played it. the changes they've made have done wonders

I'm sure I'm missing some too. Still a bunch of courses I'd love to get on when I visit, but don't always have the time. Kingsley is at the top of the list though for sure, aside from Crystal Downs which I don't expect to be able to get on.

Titleist TSi3 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
TaylorMade RSI 3 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54* SB - KBS C Taper S
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS C Taper S
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1 or Futura 5W w/ custom flow neck
TaylorMade TP5x 

Forest Dunes might be my favorite pure layout and golf course to play in the entire country. I have played 20-25 top 100 US courses and maybe 30-35 of the top 100 public courses. I've played Forest Dunes 5 times now. I still love every shot of that golf course. It's just a great layout. It has a bit of everything and it's a blast to play.

With that said, I really enjoy Tom Doak courses and I walked away a bit disappointed with The Loop. I played it in both directions, and while I enjoyed the course, it doesn't stack up to Forest Dunes for me. If I had 3 rounds to play on that property, I'm playing FD twice and one routing of The Loop.

I also enjoyed Arcadia. That's probably my #2. I like 'pretty' golf. Arcadia, while having some design flaws, delivers in an epic way on the beauty front.

Heres my list:

1 - Forest Dunes

2 - Arcadia

3 - Lochenheath

4 - Bay Harbor

5 - The Tribute

I never had the pleasure of playing CD or Kingsley and my family has since sold their place up north. Not sure when I'll be back in Mi :stink:

Driver: PXG 0311 Gen 4 9*
3w: Taylormade Sim 15*
Hybrid: Titleist 816h 21*
Irons: PXG 0311 Gen 5 T 4i thru GW 
Wedges: Vokey SM9 54*, 58*
Putter: Scotty Cameron Special Select Newport 2.5

Man, going through this thread has really made me miss Michigan golf. Just the depth of quality courses. You don't really get that down here in NC. Certainly one of the few things I miss about Michigan.

-Pilgrim's Run

-Arcadia Bluffs

-Boulder Creek CC - two vastly different 9s but I really enjoy the course, especially the front

-Battle Creek CC

-Katke GC - Ferris alum here and the course was incredible last time I played it. the changes they've made have done wonders

I'm sure I'm missing some too. Still a bunch of courses I'd love to get on when I visit, but don't always have the time. Kingsley is at the top of the list though for sure, aside from Crystal Downs which I don't expect to be able to get on.

Lincoln Hills in Ludington is kind of a hidden gem. We've been playing the last 3 years every summer. Very well maintained golf course

-Pilgrim's Run

-Arcadia Bluffs

-Battle Creek CC

Lincoln Hills in Ludington is kind of a hidden gem. We've been playing the last 3 years every summer. Very well maintained golf course

Couldn't agree more. I used to play it every year in HS events, as that was (is?) Ludington's home course. Always the best conditioned golf course we played every year. If I'm not mistaken they're on GolfNow for a fairly reasonable price now (~$30). At least they were a few summers ago, not sure about now since I don't live in MI anymore.

Titleist TSi3 10.5* - Fujikura Ventus Red 6S
TaylorMade Stealth Plus 15* - Fujikura Ventus TR Blue 7S
TaylorMade UDI 2 iron - Tour Only Project X HZRDUS 105g 6.5
TaylorMade RSI 3 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Forged 4 iron - KBS C Taper X
Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW - KBS C Taper X
TaylorMade Milled Grind 3 54* SB - KBS C Taper S
TaylorMade Milled Grind Hi-Toe 58* - KBS C Taper S
Custom Cameron & Crown Mallet 1 or Futura 5W w/ custom flow neck
TaylorMade TP5x 

I never had the pleasure of playing CD or Kingsley and my family has since sold their place up north. Not sure when I'll be back in Mi :stink:

Trying to get on Crystal Downs feels like trying to get on Augusta National, though I do know a few people that have managed it. Someday.

The course looked awesome from pictures but running a golf course is tough business these days. If the old mgmt couldn't make money at it, what would new mgmt do differently to make it successful? Especially since they probably would have to pour cash into it upfront to get it back to playing shape. Just have seen very few courses that switch ownership and suddenly become successful. Their first order of business is probably try and figure out how to get more traffic on the courses...by all accounts they were always empty. What a shame.

The golf business can be profitable right now if done correctly .... if you can not run in the black in 2018 we should talk asap.

Places such as these under new ownership will need to be creative and have to be very open for collaboration with other courses to capture new business for buddies trips (outside sales etc.) & yes possibly some good $$ to create some buzz with a redesign or the like....really needing to find their niche ..... problem with our industry especially in Michigan is that we still need about 50-75 courses to close for the market correction. Our state is saturated for sure ....so lets just hope the bad courses close and we can save the good ones. Taking a site visit in a few weeks (maybe this is a bad one and should close tho) orrrrrr lets buy this thing and Wilderness Valley and create a nice NMich combo play package just need $5M

Trying to get on Crystal Downs feels like trying to get on Augusta National, though I do know a few people that have managed it. Someday.

I have played most of the private courses in Michigan and Augusta is a whole different game in getting on.

9* G410 LST w/ AD-BB 6
G410 LST 3 Wood w/ AD-DI 8
19* Callaway Rogue Pro Hybrid w/ AD-DI 85
Mizuno JPX 921 Forged w/ Steelfiber 110
Mizuno T20 Blue Ion 54* and 58* w/ Steelfiber 110
Putter: Scotty Cameron Studio Select Del Mar

Ball: ProV1

This couldn't be farther from the truth. Crystal takes 2 groups unaccompanied a day before memorial day and after labor day. Somewhere around $225.

Also the members pay very low dues, thanks to the clubhouse being closed 6 months of the year!

This couldn't be farther from the truth. Crystal takes 2 groups unaccompanied a day before memorial day and after labor day. Somewhere around $225.

Also the members pay very low dues, thanks to the clubhouse being closed 6 months of the year!

Trick is....being one of the 2 groups. Easier said than done. Price is now $350.00 plus forecaddie.

Epic Flash. Tensei CK pro Blue stiff
M5 15*. Tensei CK Blue S
Ping 19* & 22* hybrid. Stock Alta S
Epon 505 MCI OTi 110 stiff
Betti BBZero DASS blacked out.
Vokey 50* F, Ping 54* SS, Vokey 58* D

Trick is....being one of the 2 groups. Easier said than done. Price is now $350.00 plus forecaddie.

Wow! I played Crystal 2 summers ago with a member and it was $106. Pretty good deal.

Hey all, am from the Chicago area, but spend a handful of weekends in the summer in the St. Joe area, and have been thinking about making a trip up to play Arcadia and probably one other course while I'm up there. Anyone have any recommendations regarding a good place to stay up there? Would probably bring the wife, and we are hotel snobs!

Sorry if I' hijacking this thread, am happy to inquire in a separate one if necessary.

Thanks!

I have a friend who gets on CD every fall. It's no big thing to me, played every other private/public track in Michigan I want to. Call it lemmings who drop over $150 on a round. One can play Greywalls 4 times for me 1 round at Kingsley. For these people saying Forest Dunes is better then Kingsley or Greywalls is laughable. Most holes at FD are avg at best. It's a 6 on a good day.

I have a friend who gets on CD every fall. It's no big thing to me, played every other private/public track in Michigan I want to. Call it lemmings who drop over $150 on a round. One can play Greywalls 4 times for me 1 round at Kingsley. For these people saying Forest Dunes is better then Kingsley or Greywalls is laughable. Most holes at FD are avg at best. It's a 6 on a good day.

Sounds like a personal vendetta against FD for some reason...

People love golf courses for so many reasons. Sometimes its great layout, sometimes its great atmosphere, sometimes its an emotional connection to a course (grew up playing it with dad),etc.... There is no reason anyone has to defend or not defend a course. There are so many courses that people will migrate to playing the ones that they like personally. There are plenty of national reviews, publications , WRX reviews that say FD is one of the best. Doesn't mean everyone will agree or like it. The awesome thing is Michigan has a $%#^ ton of great options so its on to the next course if FD is not a course you love.