2024 CJ Cup Byron Nelson WITB Photos ×

North of Denver in June

Huey222

I am flying out to see my sister in June, decided to make a long weekend. A buddy of mine recently relocated out there as well, so we might try to get some rounds in. Sister is in Aurora, but I will be staying with my buddy in RiNo.

I started by reading through this thread:

http://www.golfwrx.c...nver-june-trip/

It seems Arrowhead, Fossil Trace, Bear Dance were mentioned a lot. Some of these are a little further south than I'd like to reach for a weekend. Also saw some recommendation of heading west a few hours. Last time I was out to see my sister, I grabbed an AirBnB in Silverthorne and did some Fly Fishing. I'd love to get back out that way, and I will, it's just not in the cards this trip. So, With all of that in mind, I find myself with a few questions left.

1) Are there any other courses on the north side of town that should be added to the (premium) list I lead off with?

2) Any courses in the area you'd recommend that are a little friendlier on the wallet? I'm hoping to get out 3-4 times, some by myself pending on his work schedule. With everything else on the docket, I'd like to avoid 4 premium priced rounds. Again, I'll be back, and I'll chip away at that list.

3) Any rental shops in the area? I've checked out ClubHub and I've seen most of the courses offer rentals. If we end up planning to play 3-4 rounds, I'll just fly with mine, but I wanted to explore all of the options.

Thanks guys!

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Arrowhead, Fossil Trace, Bear Dance are not North of Denver. Arrowhead and Bear Dance are South and Fossil Trace is West.

My two favorites in the northern suburbs (Northeast actually) are Riverdale Dunes and Buffalo Run. They are solid strategic layouts with a bunch of fun holes and good value. If you are looking for a very inexpensive round, try Coyote Creek in Ft Lupton.. I don't like it as much as riverdale Dunes or Buffalo Run, but for $25 (less at twilight), it's not bad,

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157631940305966/ Riverdale - Dunes Course Photos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157631925200619/ Buffalo Run Photos

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/sets/72157631925287169/with/8153841937/ Coyote Creek photos

8159820021_f6269a62b6_c.jpg

Riverdale - Dunes - #4 par 3

8159813705_2439eaecfd_c.jpg

Riverdale - Dunes - #8 par 3 from mound to right of front tee

8159808047_34ee08c3ba_c.jpg

Riverdale - Dunes - #11 pitch to green

8153794037_e88170f89e_c.jpg

Buffalo Run #2 view back toward tee

8153818620_9963752300_c.jpg

Buffalo Run #4 par 3

8153802686_9f7d406ea9_c.jpg

Buffalo Run #14 view from top of mound

8153838887_3f4924f5f2_c.jpg

Coyote Creek #3 par 3 - 180 yards from back tee

8153840643_d2c0a71c47_c.jpg

Coyote Creek #2 left side of fairway

8153850552_c16409cece_c.jpg

Coyote Creek #10 view back to fairway

Just a heads up. I was at Buffalo Run about two weeks ago and #11 was on a temporary green. I don't know if is back to normal or not but I would definitely check before playing there.

Thanks. I'm flying out June 21, so I'll be making some calls the week leading up. Anything you might put in its place?

Fossil Trace always feels like mini-golf, but with a full set of clubs.

I wasn't sure if this was a good thing (in a bringing out the child in you/ surprises hiding around the corner way), or a bad thing. Then I looked at the length, and realized it was probbaly a bad thing. Thanks for bringing that to my attention.

Legacy Ridge

I'll add it to the list

Just a heads up. I was at Buffalo Run about two weeks ago and #11 was on a temporary green. I don't know if is back to normal or not but I would definitely check before playing there.

Thanks. I'm flying out June 21, so I'll be making some calls the week leading up. Anything you might put in its place?

I like Buffalo Run (mainly it's location) but it's always a little scruffy condition wise. From the tips though, #4 is one of the hardest par threes I've played. Challenging hole.

If im in that area and have enough time, Riverdale Dunes would be my first option, followed by Green Valley Ranch

But I have limited experiences with most of the those courses (except for BR), the Denver guys who actually play there all the time will have much more informed opinions. I just wanted to give a heads up about that temp green.

• 3 weeks later...

I am flying out to see my sister in June, decided to make a long weekend. A buddy of mine recently relocated out there as well, so we might try to get some rounds in. Sister is in Aurora, but I will be staying with my buddy in RiNo.

It seems Arrowhead, Fossil Trace, Bear Dance were mentioned a lot. Some of these are a little further south than I'd like to reach for a weekend. Also saw some recommendation of heading west a few hours. Last time I was out to see my sister, I grabbed an AirBnB in Silverthorne and did some Fly Fishing. I'd love to get back out that way, and I will, it's just not in the cards this trip. So, With all of that in mind, I find myself with a few questions left.

1) Are there any other courses on the north side of town that should be added to the (premium) list I lead off with?

2) Any courses in the area you'd recommend that are a little friendlier on the wallet? I'm hoping to get out 3-4 times, some by myself pending on his work schedule. With everything else on the docket, I'd like to avoid 4 premium priced rounds. Again, I'll be back, and I'll chip away at that list.

3) Any rental shops in the area? I've checked out ClubHub and I've seen most of the courses offer rentals. If we end up planning to play 3-4 rounds, I'll just fly with mine, but I wanted to explore all of the options.

Thanks guys!

Riverdale Dunes, legacy ridge, Walnut Creek are all good options. Colorado national and Omni interlocken are also good but more expensive.

drn92

I like Buffalo Run (mainly it's location) but it's always a little scruffy condition wise. From the tips though, #4 is one of the hardest par threes I've played. Challenging hole.

If im in that area and have enough time, Riverdale Dunes would be my first option, followed by Green Valley Ranch

But I have limited experiences with most of the those courses (except for BR), the Denver guys who actually play there all the time will have much more informed opinions. I just wanted to give a heads up about that temp green.

Thanks guys!

Riverdale Dunes, legacy ridge, Walnut Creek are all good options. Colorado national and Omni interlocken are also good but more expensive.

drn92

About 2 weeks out so I'm going to start making some calls to get some current info on any closures and such

Thanks guys!

If you've never played Fossil Trace, you should definitely consider it.

Since I live on the south side, I don't make it to the north that often. However, I would consider Riverdale Dunes, Green Valley Ranch, and Murphy Creek.

Live in Colorado? Visit Colorado WRX!

Ping G410 LST 9° Ventus Black 7X

Callaway Apex Pro 2H 18° MMT 80 HB XS
Ping S55 3-PW DG X100 (orange dot)
Ping Glide 52°, 56° (orange dot)

Titleist Vokey SM2 Red Saw 60° (to be retired)

Ping Glide 4.0 60° (orange dot) (soon)
Odyssey Works Big T V-Line CS 33.5"
Front Range Golf Club (frgclub.com)

I would def put Riverdale Dunes at the top of the list. It's one of my faves in the Co.

GVR is nice but I heard the fees have gone up.

I agree with Shank that the conditions at Buffalo Run can get shaggy at times. For me it's been hit or miss there.\

Murphy Creek is a nice track but can be tough if the wind gets up.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

If you've never played Fossil Trace, you should definitely consider it.

Since I live on the south side, I don't make it to the north that often. However, I would consider Riverdale Dunes, Green Valley Ranch, and Murphy Creek.

I would def put Riverdale Dunes at the top of the list. It's one of my faves in the Co.

GVR is nice but I heard the fees have gone up.

I agree with Shank that the conditions at Buffalo Run can get shaggy at times. For me it's been hit or miss there.\

Murphy Creek is a nice track but can be tough if the wind gets up.

Yea it looks like Riverdale is going to be my first destination once I leave the curb at Enterprise. We're going to choose between Bear Dance, Fossil Trace or Arrow head the one day and then probably Walnut Creek/Murphy Creek the other day.

Of the 3 you list I would def do Bear Dance. It's a great course and usually in very good condition.

Arrowhead has some great views but in my opinion the golf course is just blah.

Haven't play Fossil Trace. But if you're a Jim Engh fan I think you'll like it.

Mizuno JPX900 EvoIII S (weights center channel port 1 & 2)
Mizuno GT190 Atmos Blue 6S
Mizuno CLK 19* Speeder EVO HB S
Titleist 4i AMT S300
Mizuno JPX 900 Forged 5-G KBS Tour
Mizuno S18 54.8/58.8
Carbon Ringo 1/4
Balls : 2017 ProV1x / KSig / Vice Pro+

I agree with those who said Bear Dance. That's a terrific course. The trifecta of Riverdale Dunes, Bear Dance and Murphy Creek would be excellent. Although I would definitely consider Green Valley Ranch in the Murphy Creek slot.

Driver:  TaylorMade 300 Mini 11.5° (10.2°), Fujikura Ventus Blue 5S Velocore

3W:  TaylorMade M4 15°, Graphite Design Tour AD DI 7S

Hybrid:  TaylorMade Sim2 2 Iron Hybrid 17°, Mitsubishi Tensai AV Raw Blue 80 stiff

Irons:  Mizuno Pro 223 4-PW, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

GW / SW: Mizuno T-22, 52° (bent to 50°)/ 56° (bent to 54°), True Temper S400

LW:  Scratch Golf 1018 forged 58° DS, Nippon Modus3 Tour 120 stiff

Putter:  Byron Morgan Epic Day custom, Salty MidPlus cork grip

Grips:  BestGrips Augusta Microperf leather slip on

• 2 weeks later...

Just played Tobacco Road and thought the same thing.... =)

I had never heard of Tobacco Road until you mentioned it and after viewing their website, that course is waaaay more mini-golf than Fossil Trace. Tobacco Road reminds me of my worst golf nightmare.

If you dont play it with someone that knows the course REALLY well the first time is is NOT fun.... Lucky I played it with two players that knew it very well so was not bad. Its pertty much a target / risk reward course. More visual then hard, just hit the spots as needed and you can score on the course.