Playing Exclusive Private Courses

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Last word - I can't imagine a scenario where a guest at a club (exclusive or not) doesn't pick up a caddy fee (including tip). If you were my guest and didn't, it would be your last time out there (never happened to me in 30+ years taking guests out at my former club).

Agree that the caddie fees are the easiest for the guest to pay.

I prefer to pay the caddies myself (with some exceptions). I find that most golfers aren't used to the caddie transaction and aren't entirely comfortable with it. My experience has been that the difference between an A++ caddie for a guest and an average caddie makes a huge difference in how they perceive the overall experience - so I'm pretty particular about who caddies when I bring guests. And I want to make sure that those guys get paid the right amount. I've agreed - more than once - to let a guest "cover" the caddies, only to have the caddie track me down a couple hours later saying "that dude only gave me $20, what the f?"

I don't want to put the caddies into that spot, and I don't want my guests put in it either. So I almost always pay.

I hear ya...my frequent host at one place always would tell the guys in our group..."you are on scholarship for golf...but have $100 in cash ready for your caddy" so there are no misunderstandings.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
Ping i210 5-AW Modus 105 stiff
Ping Glide 2,0 wedges 54SS/58ES  - Recoil 95 F3
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

I wish my club charged more like SF. My club is $200 per player plus optional caddie at $100 each. If we take caddies, we are at $1k already.

Yeah, that wouldn't fly for accompanied guests even in the otherwise expensive SF area. Monthly dues like at some of the East Coast clubs would also never fly. Have to have some part of life that is cheaper here!

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Last word - I can't imagine a scenario where a guest at a club (exclusive or not) doesn't pick up a caddy fee (including tip). If you were my guest and didn't, it would be your last time out there (never happened to me in 30+ years taking guests out at my former club).

Agree that the caddie fees are the easiest for the guest to pay.

I prefer to pay the caddies myself (with some exceptions). I find that most golfers aren't used to the caddie transaction and aren't entirely comfortable with it. My experience has been that the difference between an A++ caddie for a guest and an average caddie makes a huge difference in how they perceive the overall experience - so I'm pretty particular about who caddies when I bring guests. And I want to make sure that those guys get paid the right amount. I've agreed - more than once - to let a guest "cover" the caddies, only to have the caddie track me down a couple hours later saying "that dude only gave me $20, what the f?"

I don't want to put the caddies into that spot, and I don't want my guests put in it either. So I almost always pay.

I have always asked my host how much the caddies should get then either paid them myself or given the money to my host to pay the caddies. I agree caddies vary widely even within a club and you don’t want to make the member look bad.

I used to be a member of a nice club west of Boston but nothing well known. Guest fees were 85 including cart we didn’t have much of a caddy program so they usually weren’t available unless you made prior arrangements. You could get out of the day for around $500 usually depending on how deep into food and booze you got. It was better than most of the nice public tracks and a better experience.

But if we're talking ZIP Code, it's pretty close. Even if guest fees are $75. You've got $225 in guest fees, $400 in caddie fees, call it $100 in ancillary fees (drinks and snacks for the group, including caddies). You're at $725...which to me is the same "ZIP code" as $1,000.

It's true that at my current club, if the stars aligned, you could walk out of there with a bill less than $300: there are some cheaper guest fees available if you do some tee time gymnastics, you could allow your guests to pay for their (and your!) caddie, and you could look the other way and fast-walk past the half-way snack stand. But that's not really the experience that I would want guests to walk away with. That's not how you treat a guest.

My fundamental point though is that for guys used to scooping up $75 "hot deals" on GolfNow for "great" public courses, the cost of a round at a private club is dramatically higher.

The mindset of playing in an ultra exclusive private is not only playing the course but also the experience of the food, clubhouse, and company. I've yet to meet a host that want to half-@rse the guest experience.

If you were to host someone would you nick and dime them? Of course not. Lunch is mandatory. Drinks is mandatory(according to a friend and member of muirfield village)

Obviously it's not for everyone. The economics might not be in your favor and that's understandable. Just don't expect to play these exclusives on nickels and dime.

Every time we have a 5 ball at OM, the caddies get drinks and lunch with us. Hosting and being hosted is truly an experience where money really is an after thought.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s
Callaway Apex Pro 4H ADDI 85s
Titleist T200 5i, T100 6-PW Accra i100
Titleist 50F-54S-58M Accra i105

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

Up until I moved to Chicago a few years ago, I was a member St Louis CC, with my family/parents. If we ever invited guests, there was no way they were paying for anything. We were hosting and would pick up the tab. I think it is rude inviting guests to play, then make them pay for anything.

Nice way to "indirectly" call me rude, LOL. St. Louis CC has a great history and I'm sure your guests had a good time there. I'm pretty comfortable that none of my guests over the years thought less of me when I accepted their offer to pay someone $100 to carry their bag....I'm probably a lot older than you and I've been around the block a bit more.

TM SIM2 9*
TM SIM2 3 and 5 woods
TM SIM2 3 hybrid
TM Spider Tour
TM Tour Response

Nice way to "indirectly" call me rude, LOL. St. Louis CC has a great history and I'm sure your guests had a good time there. I'm pretty comfortable that none of my guests over the years thought less of me when I accepted their offer to pay someone $100 to carry their bag....I'm probably a lot older than you and I've been around the block a bit more.

I don’t think he meant it that way so no need to age drop him. I get what he’s saying so it’s not a direct shot at you or anyone else.

But when it comes to caddie fee the guest should always expect to pay because that’s probably their only chance to pay. Most clubs won’t let the guest pay for meals or drinks and that’s what he’s probably suggesting.

It’s a two way street as well between hosts and guests.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

You guys need to keep in mind the average blue collar golfer who plays munis and other public venues because he likes the game but can’t fathom paying 100 bucks for.a round of golf. I have quite a few of these friends and family members actually. If you invite them, they feel they need to pay for their green fee. They will probably ask, “do we have to take caddies?” Ask, “I have to bring my golf shoes with me into the locker room to change them? Really?”

Although private club members are well represented here, in the real world of golf it represents a small minority, around 10% typically at most. I remember when i was younger if someone was a member at a private club I thought they were rich. Didn’t matter where,I didn’t differentiate they were all rich. I grew up on a muni and dad worked there part time. It was conspicuous consumption in our view.

Fast forward to now and I can empathize with those muni golfers for that was me and much of my family and friends. they may even wonder if they have to pay for range balls. It can be stressful for them to know who to tip and how much, for they don’t want to offend. It isn’t not wanting to, it is just ignorance. The second time a guest comes it is much less intimidating and much more enjoyable IME because of this.

Now I have no problem telling people, don’t worry about your guest fee as I invited you, however the caddie will be 80-100 depending on if you liked them. allowing them to throw me some cash for lunch or dinner is rare as I know I will be taken care of somewhere down the road, after all we are friends or family. It doens’t have to be equal and I have no spreadsheet keeping track of how much someone “owes” me, I’m happy to spent time with family and friends and hosting them, it feels good to give to others, especially a private club experience which they enjoy so much.

I don’t think he meant it that way so no need to age drop him. I get what he’s saying so it’s not a direct shot at you or anyone else.

But when it comes to caddie fee the guest should always expect to pay because that’s probably their only chance to pay. Most clubs won’t let the guest pay for meals or drinks and that’s what he’s probably suggesting.

Of course he meant it that way. What else could he have meant?

I personally have invited a bunch of people here to play at clubs that they’d have no access to otherwise. I enjoy the opportunity to provide that access and have made good friends that way but if I had paid for the 150+ rounds of me doing that over the course of several years I’d be out $20k+ on greens fees alone. Again, I love giving people the opportunity and always inform them of the cost in advance but I’m not a charity.

If it is colleagues or close friends, sure, e.g., I can’t ever envision asking someone I invited to a member guest to pay a penny. It just isn’t cut and dry.

I personally have invited a bunch of people here to play at clubs that they’d have no access to otherwise. I enjoy the opportunity to provide that access and have made good friends that way but if I had paid for the 150+ rounds of me doing that over the course of several years I’d be out $20k+ on greens fees alone. Again, I love giving people the opportunity and always involve them if the cost in advance but I’m not a charity.

If it is colleagues or close friends, sure, e.g., I can’t ever envision asking someone I invited to a member guest to pay a penny. It just isn’t cut and dry.

Nah. He’s most likely talking about close guests and such. Don’t need to take it so personal.

I have a group of fraternity brothers I always take care of like my own family at my club. But if someone wanted to play with me that’s a stranger then caddie and green fees is on him. For him he’s most likely talking about family guests and such. No one is that nice to invite and pay for everything for strangers. =P

But lunch and drinks should be free and I’m assuming that’s what he meant. If you’re going to host someone. You should feed them. That’s how we do it in our family but I can understand that’s not a golden rule.

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

If you are a member at a club or know any other pros from a course you can have them call and try to get you out. It would probably be a good idea if your pro comes along and plays with you as well. Also just treat everyone you encounter in life and on the course with courtesy and respect and you never know what might happen.

I don't think he meant it that way so no need to age drop him. I get what he's saying so it's not a direct shot at you or anyone else.

But when it comes to caddie fee the guest should always expect to pay because that's probably their only chance to pay. Most clubs won't let the guest pay for meals or drinks and that's what he's probably suggesting.

It's a two way street as well between hosts and guests.

I personally have invited a bunch of people here to play at clubs that they'd have no access to otherwise. I enjoy the opportunity to provide that access and have made good friends that way but if I had paid for the 150+ rounds of me doing that over the course of several years I'd be out $20k+ on greens fees alone. Again, I love giving people the opportunity and always involve them if the cost in advance but I'm not a charity.

If it is colleagues or close friends, sure, e.g., I can't ever envision asking someone I invited to a member guest to pay a penny. It just isn't cut and dry.

Nah. He's most likely talking about close guests and such. Don't need to take it so personal.

I have a group of fraternity brothers I always take care of like my own family at my club. But if someone wanted to play with me that's a stranger then caddie and green fees is on him. For him he's most likely talking about family guests and such. No one is that nice to invite and pay for everything for strangers. =P

But lunch and drinks should be free and I'm assuming that's what he meant. If you're going to host someone. You should feed them. That's how we do it in our family but I can understand that's not a golden rule.

I can see how my comment was taken as calling that act rude. I think the part that rubbed me wrong in the original post was that if they didn't pay for their caddie they would never be invited back. I don't play golf with people that I don't want to play golf with. If I want to play golf with someone who I know doesn't get to go to a CC very often or can afford to join a club, I am not going to invite them out and then have them pay multiple Xs what they would pay for their weekend public rate. I wasn't hosting friends weekly like it sounds like you were, so it is different.

Also, if I was playing with friends it was mostly at a public course. And my greens fees would also be covered the next time out if I hosted them previously. It was certainly less money, but its the thought that counts and it is what they could do.

I get what you’re saying. No need to explain. It’s not like you pick up some random dude to Golf. =P

Paradym ADTP 6s
Paradym X 3W ADDI 7s
Rogue SZ 5W ADDI 7s

Newport 2 Tri Sole

Pro-V1x

With regards to caddies, the 3 guests (or 2) you're bringing should be willing and offer to cover your caddy costs. Having said that, I think it's proper and respectful to ask them if they'd like to take caddies or not, and if so walk or ride. I say this because even at an exclusive private track, cost may be an issue for your guest so I think it's proper to outline what the caddy fees are and how they differ with riding compared to walking. Now if caddies are mandatory, that's obviously a different story. reason i mention bringing up caddy fees before hand because even within the exclusive private club scale, at some places a caddie can be only $80 a bag but in others it'll be in the $150 range. huge difference.

I hear ya...my frequent host at one place always would tell the guys in our group..."you are on scholarship for golf...but have $100 in cash ready for your caddy" so there are no misunderstandings.

That’s just a wonderful way of handling it. Cuts to the chase, lays everything out, etc.

My general rule as a guest (as a pro I’m often comped greens/guests fees so when that’s the case this would be directed to the host pro):

1) Always pick up the caddy, and always tip more than you normally would. It’s about how it reflects on the member, it’s not about you or perceived value.

2) Hand written thank you card, non negotiable unless you are close friends outside of golf.

3) Do some research and find out what they drink, send them a nice bottle of (insert wine/spirit here) with the card.

Simple, shows thought, doesn’t put anyone in an awkward position, etc.

Titleist TSR3 9* w/ GD UB-6 (S)
Titleist TSR2 15* & 21* w/ GD UB-7,8 (S)
Titleist u505 22* w/ Atmos Blue HB 85 (S)
Titleist T200/150 5-PW w/ Steelfiber i110 (S)
Vokey SM8 50*, 55*, 60* w/ S300
Scotty Cameron Toolbox

With regards to caddies, the 3 guests (or 2) you're bringing should be willing and offer to cover your caddy costs. Having said that, I think it's proper and respectful to ask them if they'd like to take caddies or not, and if so walk or ride. I say this because even at an exclusive private track, cost may be an issue for your guest so I think it's proper to outline what the caddy fees are and how they differ with riding compared to walking. Now if caddies are mandatory, that's obviously a different story. reason i mention bringing up caddy fees before hand because even within the exclusive private club scale, at some places a caddie can be only $80 a bag but in others it'll be in the $150 range. huge difference.

Has to be known beforehand. Just tell your guests and it will be more enjoyable because the peace of mind will help all involved.

Since my contacts are mostly friends and not family I always pay my freight knowing I want to be invited back including generous tips as appreciation for the experience. That includes food/drinks, greens fee/cart and caddies if we choose to use them. It can lead to a bit of sticker shock for many and it's never cheap. When you cover your costs for the day you have a new appreciation for the expense associated to inviting guests to a club. I want the Pro and Members to know I understand the benefit to being a guest at there PRIVATE club and the responsibility that comes with it. Never seem to mind when they see my face again the next time. In my neck of the woods I would say....$40/tips, $100/caddy, $75-$175 green fee/cart, $40-$70 food/drinks. You do the math! Those numbers can go way up depending on the heritage of the club as well. BB

Irons: 19' Cobra CB's
Drivers: Titleist TS3 & Cobra F9
Fairway: Titleist 917F2
Hybrid: A-Grind
2 iron: Ping Rapture
Wedges: Ping Gorge 2.0 Stealth's
Putter: Evnroll 9.1
Balls: ProV1