2024 Rocket Mortgage Classic WITB Photos ×

Maltby TS2

Popeye64

Ordered an assembled pak set on March 22nd and haven’t heard anything other than my risk hold, which was resolved. It’s been sitting in “partially shipped” since then. I haven’t had time to call and figure out the issue but I will try emailing them. I have had to do this on most of my orders. It’s a testament to how great Maltby clubs are that I put up with it, but it definitely reinforces my preference for buying components 2nd hand whenever possible.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, wantacigar said:

I'm going to be ordering the Max Milled 54 and 58 with the Kuro Kage shaft.  

I will be replacing my Cleveland DST 5i hybrid this year.  Likely will be getting the KE4 TC 5 hybrid.  Only question would be MPF, Kuro Kage or Tensei Blue shaft?  

I have the tensei shaft in a KE4 TC 4 hybrid. Like it but have to admit, I like the Fuji Vista pro in the TC 3 hybrid even more.

• Like 1

15 hcp

46 minutes ago, propman said:

I have the tensei shaft in a KE4 TC 4 hybrid. Like it but have to admit, I like the Fuji Vista pro in the TC 3 hybrid even more.

I'm going with what is offered in a PAK.  I have the 21* HyWay UW with the MPF shaft.  Just think the MPF shaft may have too low a trajectory for me.  so the 25* hybrid would be the logical gap.

18 minutes ago, wantacigar said:

I'm going with what is offered in a PAK.  I have the 21* HyWay UW with the MPF shaft.  Just think the MPF shaft may have too low a trajectory for me.  so the 25* hybrid would be the logical gap.

I thought they offered the Fuji shaft in the pak. Just looked and they only offer it in the KE4 TC fwy pak.

• Like 1

15 hcp

As I suspected, they shipped my wedges unassembled. Not a big deal, it gives me the opportunity to put fancy ferrules on them. I ordered on the phone and the person I was dealing with sounded new as they kept having to ask questions to someone else there, so they probably just missed putting down assembly on my order. On the plus side, since I didn't have to wait for them to assemble them, I should have them together for my first official round of the year on Saturday!

• Like 2

4 hours ago, wantacigar said:

I'm going to be ordering the Max Milled 54 and 58 with the Kuro Kage shaft.  

I will be replacing my Cleveland DST 5i hybrid this year.  Likely will be getting the KE4 TC 5 hybrid.  Only question would be MPF, Kuro Kage or Tensei Blue shaft?  

The Tensei Blue is my favourite shaft I've ever hit! I had one in a Callaway Steelhead XR three wood that was my favourite three wood of all time. Unfortunately, I broke the shaft from a hosel rocket when I was WAY over swinging it. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, mynameisntshawn said:

Ordered an assembled pak set on March 22nd and haven’t heard anything other than my risk hold, which was resolved. It’s been sitting in “partially shipped” since then. I haven’t had time to call and figure out the issue but I will try emailing them. I have had to do this on most of my orders. It’s a testament to how great Maltby clubs are that I put up with it, but it definitely reinforces my preference for buying components 2nd hand whenever possible.

This is my first set of clubs bought new besides a tour edge driver from pga store back in the day.  Most recently I picked up a very good condition stealth or stealth2 5 wood, 3 hybrid and 4 hybrid from globalgolf on ebay all for about $300.  They did ship really quick which was nice.  They were in fairly good shape too.  

• Like 3

Head's up, just to reply to those who are in a similar situation:  

Ordered on 4/4 and shipped on 4/12 so about an 8-day processing time.  I ordered 5-gw TS3 and 54, 58 milled wedges, assembled and all standard length.

Given the time of the year I feel this isn't bad timing, but just wanted to let others know in case they are on a tight deadline.  I'm not in a hurry, perfectly happy with my current set although everything points to these blowing them out of the water (2009 taylormade r7 cgb max).

Edited by mabowden
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, mabowden said:

Head's up, just to reply to those who are in a similar situation:  

Ordered on 4/4 and shipped on 4/12 so about an 8-day processing time.  I ordered 5-gw TS3 and 54, 58 milled wedges, assembled and all standard length.

Given the time of the year I feel this isn't bad timing, but just wanted to let others know in case they are on a tight deadline.  I'm not in a hurry, perfectly happy with my current set although everything points to these blowing them out of the water (2009 taylormade r7 cgb max).

Going to be ordering the Max Milled 54* and 58* this weekend with the Kuro Kage shafts PAK.  Weather in NY looks like s*** next two weeks.  Maybe only able to get out twice so good timing to wait.  LOL

Tried out the KE4 TC MAX (apparently I'm turning into quite the Maltby fanboy, but at these prices it feels risk free) and it is at the very least very forgiving. I hit a couple a little heel side and definitely noticed some loss in distance but they still went very VERY straight, which unless I'm trying to clear a fairway bunker is a miss I'll take any day.

I'm a natural fader of the ball and as you can imagine every once in a while that can border on a slice, but I can't recall since I started using it having an unmanageable slice at all. The ability to tee the ball up to get a bit more height or tee it down for a little squeeze fade is not lost at all, which was also fun. Overall not the most satisfying driver but good for the price. 

Wondering about the Pro because...well...I'm apparently a Maltby addict now. Anyone who has tried it have any thoughts for me? My driver swing speed is slower, hovers around 100-105 mph. 

• Like 3

On 4/5/2024 at 8:41 AM, KCEE said:

I have been torn between the TS3 and TS1-IM and then wondered about trying the TS4 and new TE+....maybe I'd even end up with a combo set?  Too much indecision about irons (GW has like 8 different irons I could probably be happy with) so I ordered a Tour TC Pro 7 wood Pak.  I wanted a 7 wood and that's my only choice so I chose the path of least resistance. 

I got pw-4 in ts3s w/ DG 120 S300 and they will arrive on Monday (I have to stay home from work that day so my wife doesn't see them).  I was going back and forth between the TS1 IMs and TS3s.  Went with the TS3s because I love the feeling of a forged cavity over hollow body filled with foam (p790 p770).  I have also read that the TS3s have been the softest forged iron people have ever felt.  Excited to try and will let you know what I think after a couple of sessions.  Of note, I play Callaway apex CF16 (2016) which is a forged cavity back with stronger lofts than the TS3s.  I love the feeling of them but I wanted something to progress to something more like a T100.  What I hear is the TS3s are more like a T150.

• Like 2

For anyone that has similar questions about shipping: I ordered TS3s PW-4 Iron on March 29.  I kept on checking the status and it said partially shipped.  I called to inquire on the meaning of "partially shipped" and the nice lady told me that they do not partially ship and that means something is on back order.  As she is digging through my order, she stated that she found an extra shaft that was on back order that I purchased after my original order.  That's why they had not begun on assembling my custom TS3 set.  I don't know how that happened nor did any statements or emails show a different shaft then the one I got for all irons.  She told me that she would take it off, but I noticed my status went to partially shipped the next day again.  I called 2 days later (gave them an extra day) and a different lady told me that they did not take off the back ordered shaft.  Shee took it off then the next day noticed my status changed to something regarding assembling then awaiting shipment.  Took about a week and just received an email stating that it has shipped and got a tracking number shortly after (I paid for next day) and they should be here Monday! 

The main thing here is to make sure you call as soon as you know something doesn't feel right.  Everyone is super nice there and will help you until they everything is ironed out (no pun intended).  It was honestly a really good experience with GolfWorks (given my clubs come assembled), however, if I were passive and did not call, I don't know when they would have come.  Anyways, I hope this at least helps someone and I can't wait for my new irons.  A review will be coming shortly!!

• Like 2

Has anyone built one of the TC Pro adjustable 5 woods. Built at 42" I'm coming up with a Swing weight of C7. Thats with adding a 12g weight. 57g grip. A similar setup Sim2 5 wood is D4. I thought at first it might have been the shaft I had in there. Then I put a Graphite Design IZ 7 and still came up really low. 

The head is listed at 216 g. I just weighed the head and with the 12 g weight it's only 215g. So that means this head is only 211g. That's out of spec!!

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Popeye64 said:

Has anyone built one of the TC Pro adjustable 5 woods. Built at 42" I'm coming up with a Swing weight of C7. Thats with adding a 12g weight. 57g grip. A similar setup Sim2 5 wood is D4. I thought at first it might have been the shaft I had in there. Then I put a Graphite Design IZ 7 and still came up really low. 

The head is listed at 216 g. I just weighed the head and with the 12 g weight it's only 215g. So that means this head is only 211g. That's out of spec!!

You gotta weigh everything before starting the build and cutting shafts.  Misprints, misquotes, and mistakes happen

8 hours ago, Popeye64 said:

Same for me. I had to add hot melt to bring it up to spec. 

18 hours ago, groovingrover said:

Tried out the KE4 TC MAX (apparently I'm turning into quite the Maltby fanboy, but at these prices it feels risk free) and it is at the very least very forgiving. I hit a couple a little heel side and definitely noticed some loss in distance but they still went very VERY straight, which unless I'm trying to clear a fairway bunker is a miss I'll take any day.

I'm a natural fader of the ball and as you can imagine every once in a while that can border on a slice, but I can't recall since I started using it having an unmanageable slice at all. The ability to tee the ball up to get a bit more height or tee it down for a little squeeze fade is not lost at all, which was also fun. Overall not the most satisfying driver but good for the price. 

Wondering about the Pro because...well...I'm apparently a Maltby addict now. Anyone who has tried it have any thoughts for me? My driver swing speed is slower, hovers around 100-105 mph. 

The Pro driver head is definitely a lower launching head compared the Max driver head. I could work the head either direction with no problem. If you’re a super low hitter of the golf ball this might not be for you. If you’re like me and tend to hit it a little high or spin is a little high, this might actually be a good head for you. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Colej said:

you’re like me and tend to hit it a little high or spin is a little high, this might actually be a good head for you. 

Hmm. I’m trying a Rogue ST LS this year as this describes me. I haven’t liked a Maltby driver since the original CT250 and haven’t tried any of the KE4 models

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

On 4/9/2024 at 2:02 PM, OhioGolf7272 said:

Anybody have any experience with the new fairway woods or the KE4 FDI hybrid iron? For the hybrid iron, how did you choose the shaft? I play Mitsubishi tensei blue shaft in my driver and current hybrids, but not sure if I would go the lower spin shaft route for this club. 

I’m also really interested to hear about the 19 degree FDI. I’m wondering though if it’s too high in loft to really rely on off the tee when you need a low flight and lots of roll. Doesn’t look like they have a 17/18 degree driving iron available.

26 minutes ago, Bad9 said:

Hmm. I’m trying a Rogue ST LS this year as this describes me. I haven’t liked a Maltby driver since the original CT250 and haven’t tried any of the KE4 models

It’s a great head. The smaller footprint really doesn’t bother me or seem to take away from anything in my game. Yesterday I hit a couple of low slinging draws (on purpose) and the ball just ran once it the ground. 

2 hours ago, bgfgolf said:

I’m also really interested to hear about the 19 degree FDI. I’m wondering though if it’s too high in loft to really rely on off the tee when you need a low flight and lots of roll. Doesn’t look like they have a 17/18 degree driving iron available.

You could get one handpicked and/or bent to lower loft

• Like 1

Callaway Rogue ST Max 10.5°/Xcaliber SL 45 a flex,Callaway Rogue ST Max Heavenwood/Xcaliber FW a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 3h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 ST-H 4h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour TC 5h/Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby KE4 Tour+ 6-G/Xcaliber Rapid Taper a flex, Maltby Max Milled 54° & 58°/Xcaliber Wedge 85 r flex, Mizuno Bettinardi C06

1 hour ago, Popeye64 said:

SMH. I've got to call Monday. 

So I noticed the same with the 7 wood. With a 56g grip, following 7 wood trim code W19 on a standard Maltby 77g FW shaft, I came in at C8! I had to pull a Macgyver and pack about 6g of polyfill in the head to get it to a somewhat respectable D1. I know it's not the suggested method to achieve SW but it works and tones down the pitch some. 

Aside from that, I absolutely love this thing! 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Colej said:

The Pro driver head is definitely a lower launching head compared the Max driver head. I could work the head either direction with no problem. If you’re a super low hitter of the golf ball this might not be for you. If you’re like me and tend to hit it a little high or spin is a little high, this might actually be a good head for you. 

@Colejhave you tried this in the NU (neutral Upright) setting?. Typically I'm a fade biased kinda guy but this one to me sits almost too flat. I'm 6'2" so maybe on the slightly taller side but that's still a fairly standard height. As soon as I changed to NU, the club actually felt much more comfortable. I felt a little closer to the ball and it doesn't really feel upright at all. Also, my trajectory got a bit higher but without any increase in spin so I'm able to get a longer carry with about the same rollout. 

Definitely worth a shot 

I am pretty amazed though at how much more friendly this driver actually is vs how it looks. I'd say it's quite forgiving considering. Does it have the whole package and is it enough to kick the Mizuno ST-Z 230 out? I don't think so.. but it's still a great driver and I do use it regularly when practicing. I just don't know if I can commit it to full-time status at the moment. 

Edited by AZstu324
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, AZstu324 said:

@Colejhave you tried this in the NU (neutral Upright) setting?. Typically I'm a fade biased kinda guy but this one to me sits almost too flat. I'm 6'2" so maybe on the slightly taller side but that's still a fairly standard height. As soon as I changed to NU, the club actually felt much more comfortable. I felt a little closer to the ball and it doesn't really feel upright at all. Also, my trajectory got a bit higher but without any increase in spin so I'm able to get a longer carry with about the same rollout. 

Definitely worth a shot 

I am pretty amazed though at how much more friendly this driver actually is vs how it looks. I'd say it's quite forgiving considering. Does it have the whole package and is it enough to kick the Mizuno ST-Z 230 out? I don't think so.. but it's still a great driver and I do use it regularly when practicing. I just don't know if I can commit it to full-time status at the moment. 

I’d agree that it does sit or appear to be very flat. I like the way it sits in the upright position. 

6 hours ago, bgfgolf said:

Flight always depends on what you're comparing it to, but that head design works well for a lower stinger type shot.  Should have no problem hitting it lower relative to the loft

Played again today. Now hit my low round 75 of the past 1.5 years. Getting so comfortable with the ts4 glad I got the 4 iron as well as feel better than the ts1M. Also liking the tsw drm wedges. Now interested in the putters anyone with experience/builds of the ptm CS or regular hosel or any of the other putters? Thoughts on feel and stability ?

Edited by ericft