Nike SQ Sumo Irons (pic)

markj333

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

IMO the problem for most people is not the overall look of this but the swoosh on it. Sorry had to say it, but some guys are freaking out about something they have never seen in person nor have played it.

Agreed. If it was Titleist everyone would be rejoicing.

But they wouldnt. Nike needs to release the split cavs

Uh, sorry, swoosh, or no swoosh, those are plain ugly. Callaway Fusion's now have some competition. :russian_roulette:

i agree! i don't care if callaway, TM, titleist, etc. is on the back of that cavity. After looking at the pic i think i just puked in my mouth

Driver: Titleist TS3 w/ Diamana WB 
3 wood: Cobra F9 w/ HZRDUS Smoke 
7 wood: Cobra F9 bent 2 degrees w/ Speeder 9.2 
4 iron: Srixon U65 w/ KBS Prototype 
5-PW Srixon 965’s w/Nunchuck’s
Wedges: Cleveland RTX4 raw
Putter:Odyssey R-Ball w/ stability shaft 

I'd happily play the more attractive Nike clubs, if I had the game for them.

I'm confused by the major OEMs' GI iron designs in general. I play brightly colored shovels out of necessity, not preference, and they just keep churning out these plastic-badged monstrosities that scream out "I AM A MASSIVELY INCOMPETENT GOLFER!!!" to anyone who looks at my bag.

Is modern science incapable of shifting COG locations without making irons that look like a box of McDonald's french fries? Is it a physics thing? Does OSHA orange have a higher MOI than more tasteful colors, like friggin' chrome, for instance? Everything remotely easy to hit is bloody enormous and humiliatingly ugly. I feel like a fat chick buying underwear whenever I go to Edwin Watts. Gives me another reason to practice, I guess.

This is the single best post I think I've ever seen on this board. With the exception of the MX-25s and the Ping G5s/10s (which are borderline, at best), I can't think a single GI iron that doesn't incorporate stupid colors. I understand why, I suppose, since the guiding logic seems to be that people who are new to the game will want "cool" looking stuff, but come on... some of us aren't new to the game, have good taste in stuff, and are still bad enough that we rely on our shovels to help us out. It would be nice if someone else could cater to us.

Mizuno MX series?

Anyway, I play the Sumo driver and think it might be the best driver i have ever played.

If I could find a new set of the forged blades, I would probably snag them, and would consider the CCI Forged. Both of these irons, especially the blades, really appeal to me.

The new Nike wedges look good, but I prefer forged wedges (Mizuno or Callaway), with the exception of a couple of Vokeys that I have had for some time.

So Nike has some very solid equipment, in my opinion.

However, this iron, along with the putters on the previous post, leads one to believe that there is a disconnect somewhere in the R&D / Development department at Nike.

WITB

Ping G430 Max 9.0 degree Diamana ZF 60 Stiff

Ping G430 Max 3 wood 15 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Ping G430 Max 5 wood 18 degree Alta CB Black Stiff

Mizuno Pro 243  4 - G Modus 120 Stiff

Titleist Vokey SM9  56-14F, 60-10S

Scotty Cameron Super Select Del Mar

Titleist Pro V1 / Pro V1X

I'm confused by the major OEMs' GI iron designs in general. I play brightly colored shovels out of necessity, not preference, and they just keep churning out these plastic-badged monstrosities that scream out "I AM A MASSIVELY INCOMPETENT GOLFER!!!" to anyone who looks at my bag.

Is modern science incapable of shifting COG locations without making irons that look like a box of McDonald's french fries? Is it a physics thing? Does OSHA orange have a higher MOI than more tasteful colors, like friggin' chrome, for instance? Everything remotely easy to hit is bloody enormous and humiliatingly ugly. I feel like a fat chick buying underwear whenever I go to Edwin Watts. Gives me another reason to practice, I guess.

I understand what you are talking about. If you ever get a chance, try the Ben Hogan Apex Edge irons that are in my sig. They can be had for very cheap on ebay right now. I had a set of g5's, and I truly think that the Apex Edge's are easier to hit. The feel is amazing, and best of all, they really don't look like an extreme game improvement club. When someone sees them, they really do look like a players club, but they are not. Give these a try and you won't have to be known as a massively incompetent golfer to anyone.

Ping G430 Max KaiLi White 60 Stiff (9 degree)
Cobra King RAD 3 Wood Fujikura Motore X F3 Stiff (14.5 degree setting)
Mizuno CLK Hybrid (19 and 22 degree, I swap them out depending on the wind in the parking lot)

Mizuno JPX-921 Hot Metal Pro 4-5 Irons - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts

Mizuno JPX-921 Forged 6 Iron - G Wedge - KBS Tour Regular Flex Steel Shafts 
Titleist SM9 54 and 58 
Scotty Cameron Phantom X6 CS (34")

just another thought from a Nike guy, I have been so disappointed with alot of their recent releases. The drivers and FW's have been nice, even the SUMO2 if you can get past the sound and I did sort of also like the Unitized Retro. But the SUMO irons unless they perform wicked well are just fugly. Now the CCI Forged were quite eye pleasing but just didn't perform well for me and the CCI Cast were a combo of both to me, not good looking and felt well didn't feel if you "feel" me. I just don't get were Nike is going with some of this stuff. I will also add this, is it some sort of rule that a GI club most be hideous looking? Not just Nike either, the TM Burner irons from Japan may be uglier than these SUMO irons. Lastly, as a former owner of both Split and Full Cavity Protos, why can't Nike release something like that?!?!?! I asked this once and got the CCI's are based on the Splits...................yea about as much as my game is based on Tiger's!!!

CP

I thought the golf industry was starting to move away from the 'Fisher Price' look? Thank the golf gods I have Mizuno to fall back on for irons. This feels like a step backwards to me. Just because a club is game improvement, does it have to -scream- 'Hey! Look at me and my bright plastic innards! I can't hit a thing!'

Maybe it's just a knee jerk reaction because I *am* a huge Nike Golf fan, and this feels like a let down. The 2007 SUMO/SUMO2 was a sleeper hit of 2007. For 2008 the drivers/hybrids look like they will be very hot, and then this release of a Cleveland Gold wannabe.

+EDIT+ Actually, in hindsight, I think they'd be -ok- if the yellow insert was black. That would probably mute the obnoxious factor considerably.

I have no comments on what nike is trying to achieve. They can make player irons or high handicapper irons, who cares? What does bother me is that they are making visually UGLY equipment . I mean, who is looking at these products and saying, "Boy, that hunter green looks GOOD!", or "Man, these irons look kinda plain, let's spruce them up a bit by placing a yellow Bic razor in the cavity and call it a shock absorber." What the hell. They have made 2 sets of good-looking iron sets-the forged blades(which I play) and the tour combo set(and this one is suspect).

I sure hope they play better than they look.

I can't think of a more hideous looking iron, absolutely fugly!

Absolutely dead right. I'd rather stick my bits in a food processor than have those in my bag.

Their blades and wedges are sublimely elegant and the original Pro Combo set was smart too; the rest of their clubs, without any exception that I am aware of, are the most rancid looking clubs in existence anywhere (afaik!).

(Callaway are second... and I own some of them!).

Guys/Gals:

One thing we have to understand is a lot of recent releases with the exception of the two "Tour" Models coming out are for the Game Improvment segment. That segment generates a lot of movment for most OEMS. "G.I's" are designed to first enjoy the game of golf. More forgiving sets of irons help in better striking of the golf ball, yeilding better scores, at least we hope. After "joe-smow" starts ejoying the game, he/she can move into a more advanced set of irons. Most of us on GW, BSG, etc probably overlook and critisize new G.I sets (theres nothing wrong with that) without realizing that there game us much more advanced making these set unusable by most. It's only a matter of time before information/pictures are posted on this site for more advanced players, YOU WILL NOT be dissapointed......... well for most of you, that is............

NP

now go play some golf.

This is the single best post I think I've ever seen on this board. With the exception of the MX-25s and the Ping G5s/10s (which are borderline, at best), I can't think a single GI iron that doesn't incorporate stupid colors. I understand why, I suppose, since the guiding logic seems to be that people who are new to the game will want "cool" looking stuff, but come on... some of us aren't new to the game, have good taste in stuff, and are still bad enough that we rely on our shovels to help us out. It would be nice if someone else could cater to us.

These are two really interesting quotes and I can certainly understand where you guys are coming from. Basically youre saying ``How come the good players get all the good looking clubs?`` I think part of it has to do with the construction of the club. A cast club can maintain its strength while spread over a greater area much better than a forged club can. I dont believe that you could design something like the slingshot or G10 in a forged iron. The club would not be able to maintain it`s shape and consistency. Also, you have the issue of cost. The forging process and the forging foundries are more expensive than the casting process....and now the bright color issue. Many of these big companies have huge marketing prowess and they are pressured to come out with something new. Nike has invested a lot of money in the SQ and Sumo brand names. They feel as though there is positive recognition in the sumo and sasquatch lines so they will continue to use those names and those colors. Part of me thinks that it is fun to add some `spice` to the golf industry and part of me feels as though there should be more of a traditional side to things. I do agree that most major OEM`s underestimate the average golfer and think that they are looking for something with bright colors as opposed to something that will work. Theres my take and I apologize for the multiple postings....wont do it again!