2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

Scotland trip/photos

We finished our two week trip to Scotland last week, returned home only to have to leave right away for a wedding and presently half awake at only 5:36 p.m. on a Friday contemplating some serious relaxation this weekend. It was simply unbelievable/amazing/incredible - could spend 6 months there and not do everything I would like to do and see everything I would like to see. Family trip that had plenty of golf, but we cut out a couple of courses - jettisoned Boat of Garten in favor of things closer and keeping to links golf, exhausted the last Sunday and jettisoned Lundin Links in favor of more time lounging in St. Andrews, and one day we had to hang close by the house/phone for family reasons and had to forfeit a highly anticipated trip down and around to play Moray Old with a wrxer and very much regretted not being able to do that, so sorry that didn't work out. But, Harry Potter trains, castles, boat trip to Isle of May, museums, villages, etc. kept us busy and golf was the reason that got us there, but not all the trip was about. Played Royal Dornoch twice, the Struie once (40-45 mph sustained winds made playing it simply survival and only course I honestly wouldn't care if I played again), Brora twice, Crail, the New Course and the Old Course. Started the golf with Traigh on the west coast near Glenfinnan, just because it was there and we were there (mostly to take Harry Potter train pics with the youngest daughter) before heading up north for a week. Too much to report, so I won't get into it all except to say the scenery was fantastic (what I was able to take in while not focusing on the center line and where my left wheel was), people great, scotch - mmmmmmm, caddies were just the best when we had them (one even graciously hosted my oldest and I as his guests for our second round at Royal Dornoch after caddying for me and along with the whole family group a few days before - super guy/great player/fun). All the time on this forum, with Allan Ferguson, on the internet in general and planning really paid off, but we learned early how the driving times play into what you think you can do on a certain day, and made adjustments.

Indulge me a few pics, if they make someone smile or think about going or remind them of a trip great - obviously you can find pics of just about everything online these days, so I'll share just a few.

Very sorry for the image quality on many of these - the resizing necessary to post just killed so many of them, especially for focus - the originals are awesome, haha!

Contemplating honestly box at Traigh, photos at Traigh. It plays on and on either side of a ridge along the sea.

Royal Dornoch photos.

Brora, including my bovine gallery on the 17th and my daughter's sheep gallery, lol.

Crail

The Old Course

Last photo catches the expression on my face as I'm realizing my long comebacker for par is destined to just miss because I was so excited on the 20 foot birdie putt I thought I'd make to shoot a magical "77" (for obvious reasons) I forgot my caddie's gentle reminders that the first putt was way more downhill than it looked. So a three putt for an incredible 79 which is unbelievable golf for me, and my caddie was pretty darn excited - I was in a bit of a golfing abyss when the trip started - travel, jet lag, driving, all the pressure of wanting to play well on vacation, blah, blah, blah - my golfing daughter and I decided the first round at Royal Dornoch we were forgetting scores and enjoying everything about golf over there. Things slowly came around and finally on the New Course back nine the day before my caddie seemed to be getting a little more into it as my game started showing potential. Guy has been there 50 years, caddied for IBF once in a pre-Open practice round, had a million stories and was invested in making me have a great experience and helping me understand how to play the courses at St. Andrews (plus, the comfort of the words often heard, you can hit it left as much as you want partner!). Monday was given to a lot of chatter as we all worked around the New Course, Tuesday I heard "Now let's get back to work" often from my caddie if I was off chatting instead of focusing on the shot at hand, lol, because we were having a great round. Too much fun.

And some fun stuff, just because. Best fish and chips around at Anstruther, Glamis castle (had to throw one in), Harry Potter train, bowling green which was pretty much the only thing between our rental house and the first tee at Royal Dornoch, pretty cool to look out the kitchen window and see the clubhouse and the flags - and a puffin!

Kind of sorry for the long post, please don't quote it when replying, lol, but had a great time, happy to share and hope it provides a little enjoyment and maybe the kind of reference for anyone thinking of going there, like all the great threads and posts I read trying to plan our trip.

Feel free to ask any questions or PM, happy to share if there is something I can help out with, but there are lots of Scotland "pros" on here, and I'm a novice for sure.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We are flying out tomorrow for a few days in London then to Scotland for 6 rounds of golf (Aberdeen, Cruden Bay, kingsbarns, North Berwick, kilspindie and Hopefully the old or new course. We aren’t sure about driving over there, thinking of trains and taxi/Uber when we can. Is it worth renting a car and driving yourself? A little worried about driving on the left.

We are flying out tomorrow for a few days in London then to Scotland for 6 rounds of golf (Aberdeen, Cruden Bay, kingsbarns, North Berwick, kilspindie and Hopefully the old or new course. We aren’t sure about driving over there, thinking of trains and taxi/Uber when we can. Is it worth renting a car and driving yourself? A little worried about driving on the left.

We had to rent. Our trip went from Edinburgh to Glenfinnan to Dornoch to the St. Andrews area. I just don't know enough about taxis and where you might be based to know if that is a good option. Lots of trains and buses. But, as an example, wife and youngest had a day trip from our base south of St. Andrews to Glasgow via train. One leg of the return train got canceled, and they ended up getting extremely delayed, then bused to a station and ended up having to grab a taxi. Doubt that's normal, but there you are.

Driving started out okay, was dicey the first day from north of Glasgow to Glenfinnan with bad shoulders and bad weather to start the trip. As we headed to Dornoch a couple days later I felt a lot more comfortable and it was just a matter of staying alert and having a good navigator to help with the roundabouts. I think you'll be fine driving.

Have fun!

Just wasn't as impressed with the Struie Course at Royal Dornoch. In fairness, we played in a sustained gale and found it hard to focus and appreciate the course as much as we might have otherwise. There were a couple memorable holes, but on the whole, not a favorite - still, for the conditions that day, probably the best course to be on for our group. Doubt I would have paid to play a better course that morning, so worked out fine.

Caddies (and nobody would need one on that course) - we didn't need any caddies! Didn't need to push it, just took off as I was getting the phone ready to take a little video, lol.

[media=]

[/media]

This hole had some trees that looked out of place, but kind of cool, in a Pebble Beach kind of way (of course, the Struie is a true links course, so take that Pebble!).

Hey Hawkeye...great pics. I remember we were in St. A's the same day(s)...but did you play a 2nd Old Course round? Because seems like you are teeing off very late? Clock says 7:40 and no one around?

We teed off at 12 noon on the 26th....My god...never had some many people/commotion around a 1st tee before!! Felt the nerves and barely scraped it down the 1st fairway - then thinned my 8i into the burn! But settled down - birdied 9 for 39 on the front...that wind on the back 9 was fierce - from 13-18 dead into it...43 on the back - but a great par on 18!

We played RD on the 29th...playing so firm. I think I had my longest drive ever on 18. I had only 93 yards in...on a 456 hole. The drive was striped straight and probably rolled more then 100 yards for it to get out ~360!

TM R1
TM Rbz Stage2 3w (15) & 3 hyb (19)
Mizuno MP-64 4-Pw
Mizuno MP-T5 50-7
Titleist Vokey SM-4 54-8 & 58-12
Ping TR 1966 Anser2

Hey Hawkeye...great pics. I remember we were in St. A's the same day(s)...but did you play a 2nd Old Course round? Because seems like you are teeing off very late? Clock says 7:40 and no one around?

We teed off at 12 noon on the 26th....My god...never had some many people/commotion around a 1st tee before!! Felt the nerves and barely scraped it down the 1st fairway - then thinned my 8i into the burn! But settled down - birdied 9 for 39 on the front...that wind on the back 9 was fierce - from 13-18 dead into it...43 on the back - but a great par on 18!

We played RD on the 29th...playing so firm. I think I had my longest drive ever on 18. I had only 93 yards in...on a 456 hole. The drive was striped straight and probably rolled more then 100 yards for it to get out ~360!

LOL, we teed off very early!

Wouldn't be the least bit surprised if we saw you tee off shortly after we were done on the Old Course! Pretty much nobody watching us, and still had nerves, but managed a good drive and off and running! Such an experience standing on that tee box, just can't compare it to anything else it was so neat. Sounds like a great round after the hiccup on 1, especially in that wind - it really did pick up and we noticed it picking up as we walked about St. Andrews the rest of that day, glad we got the back 9 in before it got more windy.

Dornoch wasn't as firm when we played, had some rains and a lot one night, but still those fairways run and run even with the rain (not like here, for sure). By the time you played guessing it had several beautiful, warm days.

Great pics, thanks for all the memories

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo

Great pics, thanks for all the memories

Thank you sir! So far, haven't been busted for wearing jeans at Brora, lol. Wore them both days, course actually makes a point of saying that denim is acceptable and with cows and sheep available, and a couple of cool, windy days, they just seemed to be the comfortable option, so I called their bluff. Even saw a couple locals sporting them - the pro approved as well (but he knows how to treat tourists), so I bought some stuff! "Proper" golf attire elsewhere - stepping on the first tee at Royal Dornoch and stepping on the first tee of the Old Course for sure, would have felt odd not wearing some decent slacks. We just loved Brora, views from the clubhouse where we ate lunch the second day were spectacular and the trophy cases/club tournament plaques at Dornoch and Brora are something else. Didn't have time for refreshments in the clubhouse at Crail, but guessing it was also pretty cool. So much history.

Great Pictures and stories! Group of 8 of us heading out this saturday for 9 days. Playing North Berwick, Muirfield, Kingsbarns, Crail, and hopefully Old Course +/- another st andrews course. Also going to the Open! Should be an amazing trip

Should be great! The weather has been brilliant with only a couple of days rain in the last 2-3 months with none forecast soon either.

Proper links golf with 6 irons going 250yds or more!!

You could pop along to watch the Scottish Open at Gullane as well if you are close enough.

TaylorMade M2 (2016) 9.5* (2* lower) HZRDUS T1100 75g 6.5
TaylorMade M1 15* Tensei CK Pro White 80X or
Taylor Made tour issue M2 T3 Ozik Matrix 8M3 X

TaylorMade Rsi TP 3-PW (1.5* strong) NS-Pro MOdus 3 tour130 X
Callaway MD 3 48 bent to 50 KBS 610 S+
Callaway MD 3 52 bent to 54 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]
Callaway MD 2 58 [size=4]KBS 610 S+[/size]

Odyssey 2-ball Pro-Type milled face putter.

Tour Preferred X or TP5x ball.

To the OP loving these posts, glad you had an awesome trip.

What was your favourite round?

Coming from a Scottish guy currently in Houston, its easier to drive in the UK than it is here, drivers are daredevil here, much more civilised in Scotland.

Enjoy Royal Aberdeen and Cruden Bay. both were looking good lat week -

Cruden

Royal Aberdeen

• Titleist TSR3 9* Ventus Black 6X
  • Taylormade Sim2 15* Tensei White 80TX
  • TM Stealth 2 Iron or Ping i59 3 iron Project X 7.0
  • Artisan MB 4-9 Project X 7.0
  • Artisan 46*, 50* Project X 6.5
  • Artisan  55*, 60* S400
  • Artisan BlueBonnet Carbon 0217

The Open has me all excited, indulge me a few more and thanks and again, apologize for the quality after resizing. I notice if I click on them the quality improves a bit.

18th at Royal Dornoch late evening.

Looking back from a cool spot at Royal Dornoch.

Two happy golfers at Crail.

Form aside, lol, a successful tee shot on the Road Hole.

Birthplace of Donald Ross in the village of Dornoch.

St. Andrews Cathedral ruins.

Puffins.

Dornoch Cathedral and cemetery, not the best view, but I like it anyway - Madonna was married there, as I read everywhere - it really is interesting to me for everything but that, lots of history in there and on the grounds.

Enjoy the Open!!!!!!!