Japanese Drivers

TracyS

Looking for Comparisons... Not that I can afford one.
My girlfriend brought me back a Japanese golf magazine from her trip to Japan. I was thumbing through it and was wondering what kind of experiences you folks have had with recent Japanese driver models. I've heard all kinds of great things about ON/OFF from the Hawaii guys. Just wondering if anyone has tried some of the new offerings from other manufacturers. They all look pretty cool.

Several that were featured in the mag were:
-Yamaha Inpress
-XXIO 460
-Honma Beres
-Maruman Majesty
-TourStage X drive
-PRGR
-Fourteen

If there are any I haven't listed, feel free to comment on those as well.

Thanks,
Tracy

Callaway Epic

Callaway Apex Hybrid
Honma TW Muscle Backs
TP Mills Custom Soft Tail

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Cool. Like I said, feel free to throw any other manufacturers in there. My list came from the drivers listed in my magazine.

As far as the epon goes, could you elaborate on it's performance... feel, forgiveness etc...

Callaway Epic

Callaway Apex Hybrid
Honma TW Muscle Backs
TP Mills Custom Soft Tail

As my signature states, I use the 460cc 10.5. It's constructed out of "forged titanium" and the feel and forgiveness is amazing. With the right shaft for your specs, it is a true gem. I've had mis-hits that outdrove my playing partners, and I'm not a long hitter by any means. By comparison, I've gained at least 10-15 yards from any TM, Calloway, Nike, Titleist, or Cobra driver I've used in the past.

I've tried the Japanese versions of OEM clubs (Callaway ERC and so forth).

There was no real difference I could feel between drivers, even with the on-conforming heads.

The irons, however, were a whole different story.

My Japanese Great Big Bertha irons are utterly different from the US models in both look and feel.

Mavrik Fuji Pro

G410/Epic Flash/Fli Hi Hybrids/woods
PXG Gen3 irons
Cleveland wedges
Odyssey Rossie OG 

i play the tourstage x-drive 460p. don't think it would be in your mag since it's a limited model. but the feel of it is so much different than anything domestic. waiting for the axiv-x series to come out so i can try shaft it up with that.

one thing i do give to japanese clubs is the ability to order them with high end shafts. titlest japan you can order your 907d2 with a diamana s73 or rombax 7x07. callaway japan the ft5 can be ordered with graphite design quattro tech and pt series, diamana s,m, and d series, and rombax x and v series shafts for like $100 dollars more.

i play the tourstage x-drive 460p. don't think it would be in your mag since it's a limited model. but the feel of it is so much different than anything domestic. waiting for the axiv-x series to come out so i can try shaft it up with that.

one thing i do give to japanese clubs is the ability to order them with high end shafts. titlest japan you can order your 907d2 with a diamana s73 or rombax 7x07. callaway japan the ft5 can be ordered with graphite design quattro tech and pt series, diamana s,m, and d series, and rombax x and v series shafts for like $100 dollars more.

where or how can i order these??

Per my signature, Yonex has a Japan-only line called the Cyberstar NanoV (versus the the domestic Cyberstar Nanospeed). Based on a 3rd party Japanese test, this club had higher ball speeds than 9 out of 10 NON-CONFORMING drivers. This club is sick long. I have never hit it farther in my life, and the shaft isn't even ideal. I'm getting fit for a shaft this weekend, so we'll see how much better this can get.

I'm not dismissing Tourstage or Epon, I'm only saying that an independent test showed the NanoV to have THE 2ND HIGHEST ball speeds of all drivers in the test that was run (over 50 US and Japan drivers and 1st was non-conforming). Pretty serious ball speed. Hard to find club, but way good.

Ping G400 LST w/ Veylix Roughneck
Cleveland HiBore XL 2 Bimatrx Proto
Callaway Rogue 4 AD-DI
PRGR 020i 3 Ozik Altus 
Cobra King Forged Tec 4-G Modus Tour 105
Chikara 55/60 Ozik Program 130
The Never Ending Putter Hall of Shame

Biggest differences I've felt and seen are loft and feel. The ones I've tried are muted and when caught at the right spot, really go. I like the try the Japan drivers that are unique but, those seem to be less forgiving players models. Like the Tourstage MR-23s. I wouldn't mind trying a 10* 460P.

The Royal Collection, Tourstage, and Kasco are the ones I've tried. Have not really felt the urge to give an Epon a whirl.

Before sending me a message for help, please look at the website support section:
Have a Ad/BST question, first look and post here:
BST AD Help
If you have a general help question, post here:
GolfWRX Website Help Desk

The epon 460 has the best feel I have ever felt with a driver head! I have tried quite a few drivers and nothing came close to feel. For me, distance was around par and was nothing to get excited about.

If you have not hit one, you have no idea on what to compare the feel to. If you can get past the price, I'd say try one out.

I had the Epon with an Axiv and really was disappointed. I can get the ball out there (ss 115-120) when I jump on it. I saw no real difference in length, feel, or forgiveness. I guess I had high expectations. I believe it's all hype with the Japanese drivers. Get fitted for the right shaft as that will make the biggest difference in length, accuracy and feel. I read all the posts on Japanese drivers; this one bombs it, that one is super long etc.. and then you see them up for sale in a few weeks. The biggest difference in Japanese drivers is they look good, but you will pay 50% more and hit them just as well as a domestic driver in my opinion. I do agree with another post in regards to the Japanese irons; much better forgings=better feeling clubs. I'm sure others will disagree with me on the drivers.

I had the Epon with an Axiv and really was disappointed. I can get the ball out there (ss 115-120) when I jump on it. I saw no real difference in length, feel, or forgiveness. I guess I had high expectations. I believe it's all hype with the Japanese drivers. Get fitted for the right shaft as that will make the biggest difference in length, accuracy and feel. I read all the posts on Japanese drivers; this one bombs it, that one is super long etc.. and then you see them up for sale in a few weeks. The biggest difference in Japanese drivers is they look good, but you will pay 50% more and hit them just as well as a domestic driver in my opinion. I do agree with another post in regards to the Japanese irons; much better forgings=better feeling clubs. I'm sure others will disagree with me on the drivers.

Sorry to hear that.

If you weren't hitting it any better the shaft most likely had something to do with it.

Was the shaft fitted to/for you?

You mean to say you didnt feel any difference with the Epon 460 versus your R7 tp? Having tried both clubs, I think thats crazy talk, the feel between the two is completely different. Distance wise, on the other hand, isnt (for me that is).

yes I was fitted. I guess i should clarify my opinion...the Epon performed well, but it wasn't any better or worse than a domestic driver. The distance, feel and accuracy was about the same. I think my mentality at the time was a big price tag equates to a Utopian driver. It just wasn't the case for me. I can get the same performance/feel from a domestic at a much lower price. I'll drop a 1000 on a driver shaft combo, but it's got to be justified. I personally don't think the Japanese drivers justify the price tag. For example the Ozik shaft that tops off at a grand; that's craziness. That shaft isn't going to make me hit it 40 yards farther or all 14 fairways per round. If it did, then I'd be the first in line with my $.

I've hit a Honma (late model but don't remember the name) 4 stars and a Kamui Tour. Man, the shaft was like a fishing rod and it went so high I thought I had skymarked the driver. Thank God I didn't!! 4G's to replace it?!?! HELL NOOOOO!!!

I have friends who spent more than 10K in their bags. Everything very shiny and golden. One of them used to hit his 7 iron around 150 yards and it was a Taylor Made LT. Now it's 175 with a Honma Twin Marks 4 stars. Did his score get better?? Absolutely not. Does he care?? NO! He's too worried if anybody is scratching his Ferrari F430 Spider in the parking lot. :russian_roulette:

Titleist TSR3 9 Fuji Ventus Black 6X

TM Stealth + 13.5 HZRDUS Blue 70 6.5

Titleist 818 H2 19 Fuji Atmos Blue 8X

Srixon ZX5/ZX7 MKII 4-PW DG 120 X100

Vokey SM10 50.08F/56.12D/60.08M

LAB Putter DF3

tried the mactec NVG nvx and yamaha. Even Mizuno Intage.

Basically they are meant not for players with good mechanics, and I think they are all build with one thing in mind, To provide loss distance to average or weekend golfers. Or golfer looking for their loss distance due to age.

They have a more "explosive" feel at impact. and a better head feel balance and whippy shaft. The Marumans woods are also superb and much better than the game improvements woods than the USA counter parts, One word i could say about their design, they feel Lively. I say that the technology works .

Never tried Epon etc.. those maybe for better players.

on the contrary, i don't think the Epons are classified as a better players club. The Tourstage X-Drive's are considered for better players.

Both of these are deep faced drivers with amazing deel. Distance for me goes to my D2 but overall playability, feel, and confidence goes to my Epon. I'm just a little shorted but much, much, more predictable. Similar to what someone said, it feels as if the ball got stuck into the face and shoots out like a trampoline, really weird feeling at first and you just stand their and say WTF. overtime, you learn to love it and is hard to go back. in the end, nothing really justifies $900 on a driver if you're comparing pound for pound, but if you have the cash to spend, why not.

I could feel a difference in the Epon; it just didn't feel good to me. It felt like the ball got stuck in the face. I don't prefer that with a driver. I guess feel is subjective; varies from person to person. Now with the Japanese irons, they feel incredible.

You're right, feel does vary between people. But my point was that it is a very different feeling driver compared to almost anything else, and you had said there was "no real difference."

oh, and I definitely agree with you about the irons!!

Per my signature, Yonex has a Japan-only line called the Cyberstar NanoV (versus the the domestic Cyberstar Nanospeed). Based on a 3rd party Japanese test, this club had higher ball speeds than 9 out of 10 NON-CONFORMING drivers. This club is sick long. I have never hit it farther in my life, and the shaft isn't even ideal. I'm getting fit for a shaft this weekend, so we'll see how much better this can get.

I'm not dismissing Tourstage or Epon, I'm only saying that an independent test showed the NanoV to have THE 2ND HIGHEST ball speeds of all drivers in the test that was run (over 50 US and Japan drivers and 1st was non-conforming). Pretty serious ball speed. Hard to find club, but way good.

Without knowing the above ranking I happened to pick up a used Yonex Cyberstar NanoV during my last trip to Japan. Paid 25,000 Yen (about $200) and it is now my number one Driver. I previously averaged 200-225 carry regardless of make/model/shaft, but this conforming Yonex has improved my distance bit in both carry and roll without sacrificing accuracy. Might be a honeymoon effect since I only played 6 rounds thus far, but it replaced my Fourteen JC without question. I was playing the 14 well even with a stiff flex but the tip was a bit too giving even though it was a Graphite Design.

The shaft is R-1 but not whippy and is stiffer in the tip than most Japan R Models. Gotta love the Green and Black grip too (previously it was a Red and Black). It's 425 CC, and 11 degrees loft, 45.25 inches which took a few buckets at the range to get used to and an R-1 flex.

Here's a few picks of each.

Ciao "Wan"

I could feel a difference in the Epon; it just didn't feel good to me. It felt like the ball got stuck in the face. I don't prefer that with a driver. I guess feel is subjective; varies from person to person. Now with the Japanese irons, they feel incredible.

You're right, feel does vary between people. But my point was that it is a very different feeling driver compared to almost anything else, and you had said there was "no real difference."

oh, and I definitely agree with you about the irons!!

I can certainly attest to the feel of Epon drivers. I've tried the 415 and 460 and found the 415 to feel more solid. The Epon's provides the most solid/soft feel I've ever tried, but with amazing ball speeds. It's almost 'persimmon-e' but more solid with a pronounced trampoline feel. Definitely the most unique feeling driver I've ever tried. Definitely worth giving a whirl...

The 07 X Drive's are new to me (although I would LOVE to find a 430P), but I've played both the 405 and 435. Both were fantastic drivers that performed really well. Sold my last 435 and still regretting it....

And to the point on JDM irons---couldn't agree more. The craftsmanship, attention to detail, overall quality and feel is simply superior to anything in the US market. You'll find there a slight differences in feel among the major forging houses in Japan, but they all feel amazing. Sorta like comparing fine automobiles, once you enter into a certain price point, it's tough to find flaws.

• 6 months later...

Are JDM drivers worth the extra money? I have two drivers in regular play, A 9* PRGR T3 which has three different Titanium mixes in the head, the face is forged SP700, the front part of the body is 15-3-3-3 and the rear/underside are in Beta Titanium. My other driver is an 10.5* Alpha Version 5 Titanium 15-3-3-3, this is a component head with interchangeable weight screws. Both drivers are fitted with identical Mamiya Axiv V 6070 shafts, which is an expensive tetra axial weave shaft, low spin and mid/high launch, designed to take the left side of the fairway out of play.

The PRGR is absolutely beautiful, it is incredibly well made and makes a lovely (if slightly noisy) sound. This driver/shaft combination retailed at over $900.00, the Alpha component head is under $250 I believe, the difference in performance - marginal, if anything the Alpha is slightly longer through the air and gives more roll on landing, possibly due to the longer hosel which will increase tip stiffness over the identically shafted PRGR with its shorter hosel.

To answer my original question - YES they are, the sheer quality of the club, the obvious workmanship and the looks alone justify the cost - providing you can afford it of course! Now where can I get an Epon AF101 with the new GD P9003 shaft at a reasonable price?

• 2 years later...

The main thing with the Japanese brands are, the best materials, best finish and most exact tolerances..You pick up a TM or Callaway driver in Europe or the US and the loft is usually off by up tp 2 degrees..usually more loft than it says on the head. The Japanese brands are just better made, period. Now, of course that does not always translate into longer drives, but I guess its just a matter of appreciating craftsmanship and attention to detail versus thinking of your clubs (or car, camera, guitar etc) as a tool like any other, only the utility matters then.

But the really big thing with Japanese equipment is of course irons and shafts. The Japanese brand shafts are just the best shafts you can buy. 50t or even 80t carbon and so on. Just class

I may be wrong on this but I have been told that all driver heads are now made in China due to the large capital investment and machining necessary. The last US made heads came from a company call Ruger which worked for Calloway. Now all US OEM is Chinese as is JDM as the small scale JDM companies, while renown for their forged steel iron heads, do not have the money to set up factories to make driver heads. The big plus with JDM drivers is the access to Japanese made graphite shafts which are the best in the world. As to finish, tolerances and quality control, that is up to the companies who sell them, thus, the very high standards on JDM driver heads.

[quote name='Bobcat 2' timestamp='1281458541' post='2630235']
I may be wrong on this but I have been told that all driver heads are now made in China due to the large capital investment and machining necessary. The last US made heads came from a company call Ruger which worked for Calloway. Now all US OEM is Chinese as is JDM as the small scale JDM companies, while renown for their forged steel iron heads, do not have the money to set up factories to make driver heads. The big plus with JDM drivers is the access to Japanese made graphite shafts which are the best in the world. As to finish, tolerances and quality control, that is up to the companies who sell them, thus, the very high standards on JDM driver heads.
[/quote]

I don't think that's true that all driver heads are now made in China. All Epon drivers are still forged in Japan and so are Callaway Legacy, Titleist VG3, Maruman Majesty line, OnOff, Beres and many others.