2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

Little or no wrist hinge. Anyone play this way?

Here’s my son at 13. That’s the start of his downswing. Basically zero wrist hinge but he gets the hands high, which creates speed. 190 yard 7i. He’s playing i200 now which is standard loft. Unreal. I’m so jelly.

Hit enough buckets at that range to recognize it immediately. How's the condition at deer run these days? I moved down to Lake Nona and don't get back up there much anymore.

My son swings exactly this way. He's 110 lbs and 5-8. Drives it 290. 7 iron 190. It baffles me. Zero hinge, but it's all about impact and speed. Whatever works!

Would love to see a video of a zero hinge swing

Yes, and I'd like to win Powerball too.......

As close as I could find on YouTube:

Here’s my son at 13. That’s the start of his downswing. Basically zero wrist hinge but he gets the hands high, which creates speed. 190 yard 7i. He’s playing i200 now which is standard loft. Unreal. I’m so jelly.

His wrists are fully set there. He has like no hip turn though which limits the full shoulder turn, little more shoulder turn and club would be parallel

What picture are you looking at? Broc Everett has his back to the target and his chin on top of his shoulder. It’s a massive shoulder turn, especially for that hip position. The flexibility is truly impressive. I have a partially torn left rotator cuff. I’m jealous. I could never get there anymore. His club will never get remotely close to parallel with his bizarre passive wrists.

His wrists are fully set there. He has like no hip turn though which limits the full shoulder turn, little more shoulder turn and club would be parallel

What picture are you looking at? Broc Everett has his back to the target and his chin on top of his shoulder. It’s a massive shoulder turn, especially for that hip position. The flexibility is truly impressive. I have a partially torn left rotator cuff. I’m jealous. I could never get there anymore. His club will never get remotely close to parallel with his bizarre passive wrists.

Redjeep wasn’t talking about broc.

I seem to have been barking up wrong tree with the no wrist hinge. Maybe as iTeach said, diff in feel vs real. Today at range, major fail isolating wrist intentionally. Also contrary to what my instructor suggested. After I started swinging more naturally, with some lag, I was busting out some sweet shots. Was low right and shanks with locked wrist, a miss I never have. Lesson learned. Will follow single plane steps, which are quite simple. But wont try to force a non rotational wrist swing, just will see what happens naturally. Which may likely be a fairly locked lead wrist, but time will tell.

Redjeep wasn’t talking about broc.

Ah... Ok. That’s what Happens when I watch TV and try to post at the same time. Duh.

Stick with what your instructor is telling you if it's working with the condition of your body (not that anyone else in this thread is wrong at all), especially after your past health issues. It's certainly a viable way to golf, particularly if just playing at a decent level again to have fun is important......which, well -- I'm in the same boat with you there, partner)

Driver: Honma TW747 10.5*

Fairways: Honma TW747 15* / 18*
Hybrids: Honma TW747 22* / 25*
Irons: Honma TW-X 6-11

Wedges: Honma TW-W4 54* / 58*
Putter: TaylorMade TP Collection Juno (33”)

Ball: Callaway Chrome Soft (2020)

I know exactly what you are talking about. My old swing had so much wrist hinge that I could hit myself in the back of the neck on the backswing. Way overswinging. I took a lesson recently and she had me feel like I am pointing the clubhead away from my chest through the entire backswing. Never let any wrist c0ck happen. This "feel" is working for me as I catch the sweet spot more than ever. Gained about a clubs worth of distance too. I watched my new swing on video and I am able to get the club parallel to the ground because my shoulder turn is huge. I think we measured it to be around 125* or something on video. The crazy part is that it feels like my backswing is only about waist high because that is the point in my swing where I used to c0ck my wrists.

Steve Stricker has made a hell of a career doing this. I do it sometimes when I am really strugling. It works great for wedge game.

The 'pop' in the swing comes from body and ARM rotation. It doesnt have to feel as stiff as it looks. It can actually be quite flow-ey, just little to no hinge. The wrists are independently frozen as you swing. You can be very accurate this way. Sometimes the gains in strike quality outweigh the potential loss of speed in terms of distance.

Stricker actually putts with a firm grip and stiff wrists too.

Steve Stricker has made a hell of a career doing this. I do it sometimes when I am really strugling. It works great for wedge game.

The 'pop' in the swing comes from body and ARM rotation. It doesnt have to feel as stiff as it looks. It can actually be quite flow-ey, just little to no hinge. The wrists are independently frozen as you swing. You can be very accurate this way. Sometimes the gains in strike quality outweigh the potential loss of speed in terms of distance.

Stricker sets the club fully

zaIETBZ.jpg

Here's my son at 13. That's the start of his downswing. Basically zero wrist hinge but he gets the hands high, which creates speed. 190 yard 7i. He's playing i200 now which is standard loft. Unreal. I'm so jelly.

Hit enough buckets at that range to recognize it immediately. How's the condition at deer run these days? I moved down to Lake Nona and don't get back up there much anymore.

haha, that was a couple years ago when he was on the golf team. wasnt in great shape, but fun. im near lake nona now also. :-)
  • Qi10 Driver
  • Qi10 3w
  • Qi10 Hybrid
  • Mizuno Pro 225/223 Irons 
  • MG4 / SM10 Wedges
  • Every Putter
  • TP5x Ball

zaIETBZ.jpg

With the driver there is some hinge. But the other clubs there is very little. Steve Himself, as well as his coach/father in law explain it really well in the link below:

http://www.golfwrx.c...by-golf-digest/

“I try to make it simple. I take the left arm, rotate it to the top and don’t worry about the wrist set,” Stricker says. “I try to be as firm with my wrists as I can, and just turn through. I feel like that’s a more consistent way.”

Also, I am not sure when this photo was taken. Looks like a proforce v2 shaft, so could be pretty old. He underwent a major overhaul over one winter, making the changes specifically outlined in the article and went on reach #4 in the world ranking.

Regardless, I can attest to the merits of this method. I had great overnight success employing it after reading this article. I became obsessed with Steve's method and studied every article and video that featured him. Took slow motion video of him in person at a tournament. Doing this with the wedge game came with incredible success. The fault that eventually started to arise was a tendency for me to overturn. I am very flexible, and the no hinge method made me want to turn way past 90*, probably in an effort to reach parallel. I now feel some hinge, but its all on the bowed side, no cup (a la DJ), this along with a strong grip ensures that the face never flares open, which I really don't like the feel of. It was an easy transition from the Stricker way and I can go back and forth. I work the ball from right to left, fades are difficult to produce. Poor swings result in pulls.

zaIETBZ.jpg

With the driver there is some hinge. But the other clubs there is very little. Steve Himself, as well as his coach/father in law explain it really well in the link below:

Also, I am not sure when this photo was taken. Looks like a proforce v2 shaft, so could be pretty ld. He underwent a major overhaul over one winter, making the changes specifically outlined in the article and went on reach #4 in the world ranking.

He sets the club to around at least 90* with every club, below is a mid iron. I don’t care what he feels like is happening. There is a lot of change in wrist angles in his swing.

hqdefault.jpg

Here's my son at 13. That's the start of his downswing. Basically zero wrist hinge but he gets the hands high, which creates speed. 190 yard 7i. He's playing i200 now which is standard loft. Unreal. I'm so jelly.

There is wrist hinge...if he didn't have any the club shaft would be pointing at the ball instead of towards the camera

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

zaIETBZ.jpg

Also, I am not sure when this photo was taken. Looks like a proforce v2 shaft, so could be pretty ld. He underwent a major overhaul over one winter, making the changes specifically outlined in the article and went on reach #4 in the world ranking.

He sets the club to around at least 90* with every club, below is a mid iron. I don't care what he feels like is happening. There is a lot of change in wrist angles in his swing.

hqdefault.jpg

You should reach out to Steve and his coach and countless other teaching professionals and let them know what you've discovered here.

Im pretty sure you took that from this youtube video.

When you watch the video there is some hinge, but it is pretty clear that its greatly reduced due to his firm wrists. That's the point here. Pull up one of Bubba Watson or Fred Couples and see the difference.

Also keep in mind that there is an obtuse angle established between the club and the forearms at set up. This is due to the fact that the grip rests across the hand and not up through the middle of the palm (unless you are Mo Norman or Bryson D.) This angle never goes away, unless the grip slides into ones palm.

Finally, why wouldn't you care about a 12 time PGA winners feel? Especially one that is so central to his swing mechanics and to helping the guy on this thread learn? Before we get the protractors out, lets remember what the objective is here.

Chow,

I think you are missing the point that what a player feels is pretty specific to that 1 player. So what they feel they are doing: (A) isn't always what they are really doing, (B) is going to feel different for each person. Stricker does indeed get almost 90* of hinge but it's later than what most players do.

Driver: PXG Black Ops TenseiAV Raw White 65x
FWY: Sim 2 Ti w/ TenseiAV Raw Blue 75x
Hybrid: Srixon MKII 18* MMT 105x
Irons: Srixon Zx7 MKII Project X 6.5
54*: Titleist SM6 S grind black finish
58*: New Level Golf SPN Forged M Grind
Putter: Toulon San Diego

Chow,

I think you are missing the point that what a player feels is pretty specific to that 1 player. So what they feel they are doing: (A) isn't always what they are really doing, (B) is going to feel different for each person. Stricker does indeed get almost 90* of hinge but it's later than what most players do.

Man, the internet is a weird place.

So, Steve Stricker hinges his wrists fully. There is no reduction in wrist hinge. The one glaringly obvious thing that has set his swing apart from everyone elses on tour, a trait that has been analyzed and commented by so many, is not real. Its just a delusional feel that he has been perpetuated for a decade and debunked here today.

Message to the OP. Forget little to no wrist hinge. It doesn't help. No one on tour has ever done it. It wont help you.

Chow,

So, Steve Stricker hinges his wrists fully. There is no reduction in wrist hinge. The one glaringly obvious thing that has set his swing apart from everyone elses on tour, a trait that has been analyzed and commented by so many, is not real. Its just a delusional feel that he has been perpetuated for a decade and debunked here today.

Message to the OP. Forget little to no wrist hinge. It doesn't help. No one on tour has ever done it. It wont help you.

In email with Tyler Ferrell on some topics, Tyler said he has Stricker's 3D file "I happen to have his 3D file. He claimed that Steve doesn’t set his wrists, but his 3D shows a fairly pronounced wrist set (both radial deviation and trail wrist extension) at the top".

Sealed with a curse as sharp as a knife.  Doomed is your soul and damned is your life.
Enjoy every sandwich

The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is that you don’t know you are a member.   The second rule is that we’re all members from time to time.

One drink and that's it. Don't be rude. Drink your drink... do it quickly. Say good night...and go home ...

#kwonified

Chow,

The OP actually already stated feeling zero wrist hinge hurt his swing and when he started allowing them to load he hit the the ball better.

I don’t care what a player feels because it’s often wrong. Feel isn’t reality. He’s been measured in 3D and it’s very clear what he does and doesn’t do. Steve sets longer clubs more than 90* and shorter clubs right around 90* to forearm. Regardless of what he feels like he does, he sets the club (he does do it late but it happens).

You explaining to me that there is an angle between the shaft and the forearm at address is hilarious. The internet is a weird place and you often don’t know who you’re talking to.

Chow,

I think that more weekend golfers should try and take the club back like Stricker. I have been doing it recently to eliminate what has become a two way miss.

The thing is, that while you can eliminate wrist flexion and extension almost entirely, as you get into the second half of the back swing and start reaching up, radial deviation occurs naturally, becomes more pronounced because of the inertia in the cluhead when you reach the end of the back swing, and really increases for the same reason as you start the down swing. any other action would result in a casting effect..

Stricker simply says that he tries to keep the wrists straight and that he doesn't worry about setting his wrists, not that he denies that it happens.

I have slowed down my back swing in order to have better control of the wrist c0ck at the top, and it definitely results in more shots landing on the fairway.

Making an effort to keep the wrists straight would help a lot of beginners in particular. Even consciously rolling the wrists over like Stricker says he does complicates the swing for someone starting out imo, especially the adult learner.

Chow,

I think that more weekend golfers should try and take the club back like Stricker. I have been doing it recently to eliminate what has become a two way miss.

The thing is, that while you can eliminate wrist flexion and extension almost entirely, as you get into the second half of the back swing and start reaching up, radial deviation occurs naturally, becomes more pronounced because of the inertia in the cluhead when you reach the end of the back swing, and really increases for the same reason as you start the down swing. any other action would result in a casting effect..

Stricker simply says that he tries to keep the wrists straight and that he doesn't worry about setting his wrists, not that he denies that it happens.

I have slowed down my back swing in order to have better control of the wrist c0ck at the top, and it definitely results in more shots landing on the fairway.

Making an effort to keep the wrists straight would help a lot of beginners in particular. Even consciously rolling the wrists over like Stricker says he does complicates the swing for someone starting out imo, especially the adult learner.

You won’t find a single good player who isn’t flexing and extending their wrist. And I’m not talking tiny amounts either

Dan - For maximum speed generation in DS, would you like to see at top of BS - Both wrists in extension (right more than left), Left wrist neutral and right wrist more extended or Left in flexion and right in most extension (DJ)?

Thanks - Bruce

Both wrist in extension as a general rule but depends on grip and other pieces with how the player creates speed

At the 6:45 mark in below video, swing nearly identical to what I did yesterday is briefly described and then demonstrated front on and down the line. At the time, I was not intentionally doing this, found this video late last night.

I don't know about Kirk. It doesn't look like he flushes any shot. Anyone see this guy in person? He is no Lee Comeaux - whoosh!, lol