2 year old loves golf

Mr.Mizzy

Hey guys, my 2 year old has really taken to golf. He will hit a whole bucket of balls in the basement while I am working on clubs or riding my bike on the trainer. I took him to the range with me a few times to putt and he had a good time. At 2 we are only there a short time of course, but he liked trying the junior clubs at the range last time.

Given that, do I buy him a junior set for his height (approx 37" tall) or just take his plastic ones along? The junior ones they had at the range seemed too heavy for him but the plastic ones seem too light and he likes the junior ones better. Will the increased weight cause any issues for him? His swing is basically a follow through (like a flick in field hockey). I have no problem removing weight from a junior set to bring down overall/swing weights if that is recommended. I know if I ask him he will want his own set of course haha, so that doesn't really help.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Mine loves it as well. I got him a 39" iron from us kids golf last year for Christmas and just bought him a 42" 4 club bag for his upcoming 4th birthday. I let mine just use the plastic clubs until he got tall enough for the us kids clubs

Appreciate the response, thanks!

next week he will love wrestling.....then baseball.......then hockey.......

are you seriously concerned about swing weights for a 2 yr old?

I fail to understand the tone of your response...but I respect your right to post what you want.

I get that he is 2. He plays soccer and likes to ride his bike too. I didn't have concern over whether he was going to stick with golf, all we ever did was buy him plastic clubs and let him play when he wants to. He hits balls on his own and likes to go with me to the range.

My question relating to overall weight and swing weight was purely so I wasn't giving him clubs that could injure him or make the game frustrating. I grabbed 2 clubs out of a junior demo bin at the range...I am not trying to create the next Tiger here. While he is tall enough for the junior clubs they sell I just want him to have fun and not put him in a position to hurt himself or make the game frustrating.

Get him this. Don't worry about any other club.

https://www.uskidsgo...ent/right-start

Awesome, thanks. That is just what I was looking for.

Love the pictures. Enjoy the time with him. They grow up fast. Mine didn't play at that age, but the memories I have when they were younger I am very fond of.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

https://www.uskidsgolf.com/shop/equipment/right-start

This is the best... Bought it for my daughter when she was 3. She liked it. My now almost 2 year old son Loves It! He loses his mind if we don't let him go in the backyard to hit balls for at least an hour.

I would also buy him a proper weight putter from us kids golf. The 39" set should work fine. I take my kids minature golfing twice a week. They love having their own putters and it develops proper feel instead of having to use those rubber heads.

WITB:
Driver: Ping G400 LST 8.5* Kuro Kage Silver TINI 70s
FW: Ping G25 4 wood Kuro Kage Silver TINI 80s
Utility: 20* King Forged Utility One Length C Taper Lite S
Irons: King Forged One Length 4-PW C Taper Lite S
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Black Satin 50, 54, 58
Putter: Custom Directed Force Reno 2.0 48" 80* Lie Side Saddle

This is the best... Bought it for my daughter when she was 3. She liked it. My now almost 2 year old son Loves It! He loses his mind if we don't let him go in the backyard to hit balls for at least an hour.

I would also buy him a proper weight putter from us kids golf. The 39" set should work fine. I take my kids minature golfing twice a week. They love having their own putters and it develops proper feel instead of having to use those rubber heads.

Yeah I actually made him his own putter a while back and he loves it. Glad to hear the positive feedback on that club, I'll plan to buy one today.

Mine loves it as well. I got him a 39" iron from us kids golf last year for Christmas and just bought him a 42" 4 club bag for his upcoming 4th birthday. I let mine just use the plastic clubs until he got tall enough for the us kids clubs

I fail to understand the tone of your response...but I respect your right to post what you want.

I get that he is 2. He plays soccer and likes to ride his bike too. I didn't have concern over whether he was going to stick with golf, all we ever did was buy him plastic clubs and let him play when he wants to. He hits balls on his own and likes to go with me to the range.

My question relating to overall weight and swing weight was purely so I wasn't giving him clubs that could injure him or make the game frustrating. I grabbed 2 clubs out of a junior demo bin at the range...I am not trying to create the next Tiger here. While he is tall enough for the junior clubs they sell I just want him to have fun and not put him in a position to hurt himself or make the game frustrating.

there is no tone....2 yr old kids are fickle..thats all I'm saying...worrying about sets of clubs at this age is silly and swing weights?....why would you put any club in his hand that he cant swing freely without resistance if you are worried about hurting him? I just don't understand your questions for a 2 yr old I guess..... are you gonna get him blades or SGI's? lol.....he will be a Golf WRXer before you know it....enjoy the game with him....

there is no tone....2 yr old kids are fickle..thats all I'm saying...worrying about sets of clubs at this age is silly and swing weights?....why would you put any club in his hand that he cant swing freely without resistance if you are worried about hurting him? I just don't understand your questions for a 2 yr old..

Relax bro.

I am GenX.  If you really think I care about what you have to say, I don't.

there is no tone....2 yr old kids are fickle..thats all I'm saying...worrying about sets of clubs at this age is silly and swing weights?....why would you put any club in his hand that he cant swing freely without resistance if you are worried about hurting him? I just don't understand your questions for a 2 yr old I guess..... are you gonna get him blades or SGI's? lol.....he will be a Golf WRXer before you know it....enjoy the game with him....

The OP was clearly asking input from other parents on whether he should go with the plastic clubs or if there was a better option, because the weight of the junior clubs at the course was too high for his two year old. His intent was clearly not about whether his child should be playing D1 or D2 in his driver and whether his wedges should match that or go to D4.

The other parents in this thread provided him with an option to get an appropriate weight club. My 2 year old son uses this club and loves it and he can actually swing it unlike cut down clubs which are too heavy.

I try not to read too much into people's tone, but it was really hard not to read yours like you are being a jerk to a guy who is just trying to be a good dad.

WITB:

Yeah I actually made him his own putter a while back and he loves it. Glad to hear the positive feedback on that club, I'll plan to buy one today.

Great picture man. Hope you really enjoy this time with your son!

WITB:

there is no tone....2 yr old kids are fickle..thats all I'm saying...worrying about sets of clubs at this age is silly and swing weights?....why would you put any club in his hand that he cant swing freely without resistance if you are worried about hurting him? I just don't understand your questions for a 2 yr old..

Relax bro.

Thanks Heavy...feeling stressed.....chill pill taken.....

The OP was clearly asking input from other parents on whether he should go with the plastic clubs or if there was a better option, because the weight of the junior clubs at the course was too high for his two year old. His intent was clearly not about whether his child should be playing D1 or D2 in his driver and whether his wedges should match that or go to D4.

The other parents in this thread provided him with an option to get an appropriate weight club. My 2 year old son uses this club and loves it and he can actually swing it unlike cut down clubs which are too heavy.

I try not to read too much into people's tone, but it was really hard not to read yours like you are being a jerk to a guy who is just trying to be a good dad.

no. actually was just confused as to the entire post in regards to club weight......if you are a golfer, which the OP clearly is, why would you need to ask this question if you fear him getting frustrated or hurt? im sure he is the best dad in the world and no offense was intended.....maybe the next tiger is being created and he wants that for his son? if so, great. idk. but if multiple people read into a tone, then I guess I did come across like that, which wasn't my intent so I apologize OP.....kid is adorable by the way....looks like a tiny Nicklaus.

no. actually was just confused as to the entire post in regards to club weight......if you are a golfer, which the OP clearly is, why would you need to ask this question if you fear him getting frustrated or hurt? im sure he is the best dad in the world and no offense was intended.....maybe the next tiger is being created and he wants that for his son? if so, great. idk. but if multiple people read into a tone, then I guess I did come across like that, which wasn't my intent so I apologize OP.....kid is adorable by the way....looks like a tiny Nicklaus.

I've heard different theories on this topic and was not sure what was available for a kid that small. Unlike you and I that have experience and the golf understanding/vocabulary, my son isn't going to look at me and question the weight of his clubs or tell me they are hard to swing. I could hand him a plastic club, a cut down club, or a shaft with a brick on the end...he is going to try to use it to hit the little ball down the range. By asking the question to other parents I get the benefit of experience that I do not have to make an informed decision. As another poster pointed out, I'm not concerned about making his clubs D1, D2, etc.

Definitely not looking to create the next Tiger here, I just love that he wants to come along with his Dad to hit balls. As he told my wife one day "it's okay that it is raining a little, I still want to go golfing with Daddy" she of course brought him out to putt and stood in the rain with us...I'm pretty blessed :golfer:

Appreciate all of the responses pointing me in the right direction.

No worries. Tone is really hard to pick up in the written word, especially with people you don't know. It shows a solid quality of your character to realize that others perceived something and then to apologize for that (even if what they perceived was not what you intended). Well done sir! May all your approach shots bounce into the hole!

WITB:

I've heard different theories on this topic and was not sure what was available for a kid that small. Unlike you and I that have experience and the golf understanding/vocabulary, my son isn't going to look at me and question the weight of his clubs or tell me they are hard to swing. I could hand him a plastic club, a cut down club, or a shaft with a brick on the end...he is going to try to use it to hit the little ball down the range. By asking the question to other parents I get the benefit of experience that I do not have to make an informed decision. As another poster pointed out, I'm not concerned about making his clubs D1, D2, etc.

Definitely not looking to create the next Tiger here, I just love that he wants to come along with his Dad to hit balls. As he told my wife one day "it's okay that it is raining a little, I still want to go golfing with Daddy" she of course brought him out to putt and stood in the rain with us...I'm pretty blessed :golfer:

I would record every moment you can during these times. I did the same with my daughter and its priceless to watch many weeks, months or years later. I have a 12 yr old and watching her early golf vids is really something special....brings tears to your eyes every time you watch it.....blessed you are..

but make the wrx community a promise..if he becomes famous for golf, make sure he never dances like Phil in his new commercial.....lol

https://www.golfdige...ou-might-expect

I would record every moment you can during these times. I did the same with my daughter and its priceless to watch many weeks, months or years later. I have a 12 yr old and watching her early golf vids is really something special....brings tears to your eyes every time you watch it.....blessed you are..

but make the wrx community a promise..if he becomes famous for golf, make sure he never dances like Phil in his new commercial.....lol

https://www.golfdige...ou-might-expect

haha, yeah what a sad display that was.

This is awesome OP.

Some advice I heard about kids and golf.

1) Keep it fun for them. E.g. on greens, the only goal is to get the ball in the hole. Whether he kick it on or use his putter as a pool cue... doesn't matter.

2) Don't bother with lessons until he is around 7. You can teach basics, eg. grip, stance etc... but not more complex things like rotation, hand position etc

"Some emotions cannot be endured with a golf club in your hand." - Bobby Jones

My 3 year old son Gage is pretty much obsessed with golf and I love it. He always wants to go to TopGolf and or hit a bucket of balls, so i blame it on him to the wife why every other weekend we are going to TopGolf or the range. I give him no swing thought just ball placement and let him rip. Its an amazing feeling and hopefully he wants to continue as he gets older. Had to share!

https://www.uskidsgolf.com/shop/equipment/right-start

Just ordered one for My nephew ??

Thank you for the tip

!!

My son Gage is pretty much obsessed with golf and I love it. He always wants to go to TopGolf and or hit a bucket of balls, so i blame it on him to the wife why every other weekend we are going to TopGolf or the range. I give him no swing thought just ball placement and let him rip. Its an amazing feeling and hopefully he wants to continue as he gets older. Had to share!

Very Nice !!!

My son Gage is pretty much obsessed with golf and I love it. He always wants to go to TopGolf and or hit a bucket of balls, so i blame it on him to the wife why every other weekend we are going to TopGolf or the range. I give him no swing thought just ball placement and let him rip. Its an amazing feeling and hopefully he wants to continue as he gets older. Had to share!

Very Nice !!!

Hey guys, my 2 year old has really taken to golf. He will hit a whole bucket of balls in the basement while I am working on clubs or riding my bike on the trainer. I took him to the range with me a few times to putt and he had a good time. At 2 we are only there a short time of course, but he liked trying the junior clubs at the range last time.

Given that, do I buy him a junior set for his height (approx 37" tall) or just take his plastic ones along? The junior ones they had at the range seemed too heavy for him but the plastic ones seem too light and he likes the junior ones better. Will the increased weight cause any issues for him? His swing is basically a follow through (like a flick in field hockey). I have no problem removing weight from a junior set to bring down overall/swing weights if that is recommended. I know if I ask him he will want his own set of course haha, so that doesn't really help.

That's great !!

Countdown for Augusta!!!

nice backswing!!