2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

> @2moreTerps said:

> golf channel will cover the NCAA men's championship monday through wednesday. i always enjoy that each year.

>

> no USGA fourball coverage on FS1 this year. Got decent local representation. Two guys from Hobbits Glen, Manor, Columbia, a BCC/Hobbits team, and Columbia/out of towner qualified. they may stream some. if they stream some i may pull it up

A little disappointing the USGA doesnt have some sort of TV coverage on this.

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

> @dcmidnight said:

> > @2moreTerps said:

> > golf channel will cover the NCAA men's championship monday through wednesday. i always enjoy that each year.

> >

> > no USGA fourball coverage on FS1 this year. Got decent local representation. Two guys from Hobbits Glen, Manor, Columbia, a BCC/Hobbits team, and Columbia/out of towner qualified. they may stream some. if they stream some i may pull it up

>

> A little disappointing the USGA doesnt have some sort of TV coverage on this.

The new update made responding to this so easy, and straight forward! People are saying this may be the worst site update in the history of site updates, maybe ever. And they're right.

I was a little less bummed at the lack of coverage on FS1 when I realized I no longer have the channel. It went away in the great cable package mishap of 2019 that axed the golf channel as well.

I think it would've been a blast to see them playing out there, especially on Old Mac. Those greens are behemoth, but there's always a very limited area around any hole location that is flat'ish. It would've been really neat watching approaches coming in on slopes, and tons of interesting chips and putts.

> @FAbb said:

> > @dcmidnight said:

> > > @2moreTerps said:

> > > golf channel will cover the NCAA men's championship monday through wednesday. i always enjoy that each year.

> > >

> > > no USGA fourball coverage on FS1 this year. Got decent local representation. Two guys from Hobbits Glen, Manor, Columbia, a BCC/Hobbits team, and Columbia/out of towner qualified. they may stream some. if they stream some i may pull it up

> >

> > A little disappointing the USGA doesnt have some sort of TV coverage on this.

>

>

> The new update made responding to this so easy, and straight forward! People are saying this may be the worst site update in the history of site updates, maybe ever. And they're right.

>

> I was a little less bummed at the lack of coverage on FS1 when I realized I no longer have the channel. It went away in the great cable package mishap of 2019 that axed the golf channel as well.

>

> I think it would've been a blast to see them playing out there, especially on Old Mac. Those greens are behemoth, but there's always a very limited area around any hole location that is flat'ish. It would've been really neat watching approaches coming in on slopes, and tons of interesting chips and putts.

The collegiate golf was on Golf Channel though, and Matt Wolff just flat out dominated. His reported distances were crazy- I think they said he hit a 217 yard 7 iron on his 2nd shot into a par 5. The backswing is crazy to watch, but the downswing and action though the ball is pure poetry.

Played OCGC Sunday and Monday- feel like my game is starting to come around. They bought a new roller for maintenance, and the greens are hard and rolling fast. Its hard to stop any long approaches to the green. I holed out a 60 yard pitch on #11 Newport. Played with MeatMike1.0 on Monday and he had to hit it over 6 greens. He plans on spending the whole summer at the course, so look for rapid improvement on his end.

In other oddball things to report- Billy Strings is coming to Burley Oak July 24th. Its Bluegrass, but unlike any bluegrass you've ever heard. Take a listen if you get a chance:

I wonder how many "quotes" will achieve on the thread today!

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

> @FAbb said:

> > @dcmidnight said:

> > > @2moreTerps said:

> > > golf channel will cover the NCAA men's championship monday through wednesday. i always enjoy that each year.

> > >

> > > no USGA fourball coverage on FS1 this year. Got decent local representation. Two guys from Hobbits Glen, Manor, Columbia, a BCC/Hobbits team, and Columbia/out of towner qualified. they may stream some. if they stream some i may pull it up

> >

> > A little disappointing the USGA doesnt have some sort of TV coverage on this.

>

>

> The new update made responding to this so easy, and straight forward! People are saying this may be the worst site update in the history of site updates, maybe ever. And they're right.

>

> I was a little less bummed at the lack of coverage on FS1 when I realized I no longer have the channel. It went away in the great cable package mishap of 2019 that axed the golf channel as well.

>

> I think it would've been a blast to see them playing out there, especially on Old Mac. Those greens are behemoth, but there's always a very limited area around any hole location that is flat'ish. It would've been really neat watching approaches coming in on slopes, and tons of interesting chips and putts.

Oh, LOL. The responding is ridiculous. I'll get in a little recap of Home on the Range coming up, but I'm kinda busy for the next couple day (unless I finish something sooner, which I might.) Maybe lunch.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @FAbb said:

> > @Ocgolfrick said:

> > the downswing and action though the ball is pure poetry.

> >

>

> GO HOME, BETHESDARICK!

**BethesdaRick:** I was going to teach this exact same downswing motion to Dave Chen at Columbia, but I was rebuffed.

Suck it, Ceejay.

Recap :

Overview : long, hot sweaty weekend. (Almost) nothing but dudes. So much swass and chafing. Got to really see some great aspects of Tobacco Road that I'd never noticed before. Played with a ton of different characters, got to hit a ton of different shots with different looks. Did not sleep well. Did not get clean well. Did not eat well. Event was well planned with a proper mix of "this is what we have scheduled" and "go do your own thing" with a real good mix of busy time and down time.

Road Trip : Met Domes Friday morning outside of DC and loaded up my car. Near the VA/NC border we start thinking about food and pinpoint a bar-b-que joint that is like 8 miles off the interstate. So, that's the destination, but if we pass something first, we'll hit it. We immediately drive by this "Old School Elegant" looking place with the odd name of Khalil's Restaurant and Pub. Well, "Khalil's in the middle of VA/NC country sounds good to me.

Turns out it was NOT Khalil's, it was [Kahill's](http://kahillsrestaurantandpub.com/index.php "Kahill's"). So, that was dumb, but the restaurant also has a "Mediterranean" font and we were hungry.

And, man, was it good. I got the fried grouper with buffalo sauce and baddomes got fried chicken on a bed of "honey mac n cheese". They also had Hardywood on tap, and a bangin' waitress.

So, on the way back, we're on the road about noon, and we're a little hungry,

"What do you want to do about lunch?"

"How far to Kahill's?"

"100 miles."

"Can you make it?"

"Yup."

So, we're at the bar at Kahill's and in comes a little party girl, "you guys ready to do some SHOTS?"

"no"

Funniest part was she says she's been up to Delaware for a music festival.

Domes, "Firefly?"

Party girl : "YES."

(of course domes knows)

Domes, "that's the kind of place you need to pace yourself or you're done."

Girl, "I went all out. Every day."

lol @ domes pacing himself.

Bangin' waitress was there again, too. She comes into the bar and goes, "there was a reception in the other room this morning and they left half a pitcher of mimosas in the fridge and I get off in 15 minutes."

Me to Domes, "what do you think about staying here tonight and partying with these two?"

I had the smoked turkey and bacon wrap with chipotle dipping mayo. Domes had brisket on mashed potatoes AND toast with two fried eggs on top.

Kahill's is now a part of any and all future Carolina trips. I'm not joking. Go.

Caramelized scallops over habanero lime mac & cheese. . .

![](http://kahillsrestaurantandpub.com/images/scallops.jpg "")

More later.

• Like 2

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I'm just going to add to City's recaps when necessary.

I give the food and ambiance at Kahill's 5 out of 5 Holzhauer smiles

s9l0gp4f9ori.png

s9l0gp4f9ori.png

s9l0gp4f9ori.png

s9l0gp4f9ori.png

s9l0gp4f9ori.png

We were in and out of there in less than 30 minutes each meal, so the timing was excellent. Stopping there on the way down was kind of the mindset we had all weekend. It was a lot of "....you want to go do [some thing]?" "Yep." And then it happened.

• Like 1

Ended up with a good beatdown of the other team in our mens league match tonight 4&3. Felt really good after a close loss last week and my partner and I both had great nights. We closed it out on 8 and played up nine. After a birdie on nine I realized I was -1 through 7 holes - two birdies and a bogey - and the way the hdcp system works I think I have to post that -1 for the 9 hole round since I wouldnt have gotten a stroke on my 8th or 9th hole. Regardless, it was a fantastic night. Hit 6/7 greens and on the green I missed, bellied a wedge to a foot.

City's recap is exactly what I was hoping for. Zero golf, hot waitresses and adding a new food option to my itinerary.

So, I actually started a recap yesterday and never liked it. I think the best way to go is just "stream of consciousness". An impressionistic re-cap, with a few golf shots mixed in.

Hot. Dusty.

Set up campsite about 100 feet from the 11th green.

qwchfviwd9rf.jpg

ldojn7auclci.jpg

9 hole Scramble day one. Walking. 95ºF. Guy on FIRST tee box says he's done with skiing season and is starting golf season. Nice. Also, he has a little something "from the garden". Puff.

Scramble : 9 birdies. I make a curly bomb on 9 and tell the guys "when you're sitting around the campfire tonight, you tell stories about that putt." After a slow start, Domes and I were dropping bombs. I was smashing the D. I set us up for about a 160 yard shot in on 4.

After scramble played in a 7-some. 3 guys from Baltimore area.

Free beer. Supper in the building behind the 14th green.

Beer. THC. Night putting with glow balls and glow sticks on a 72 person shot gun start on 9 hole putting green. The group in front of us are lining each other up and pulling the pin. ROLL. EYES.

End up putting/chipping/smoking with about 12 guys including "camp counselors" on the 11th green.

Little sleep. Loud bird. Disorganized breakfast. One group had a FANCY RV. License plate "wuz worth it". Guy was wearing a Pine Valley shirt. I'm guessing there's more of this kind of person in the future.

18 holes WALKING with Bryan and Brett. 6-6-6 match. Brett had like 5 birdies and 6 X's. Or was it Bryan?

We finish about 30 minutes before any other group and I shower with the cart hose and [AIR DRY](https://photos.app.goo.gl/v27WArgVn4h3P5dC7 "AIR DRY").

Go out in the afternoon with Marty. We play "longest drive", "closest to covering the trap, must clear it". "Closest to pin". We play 15 from the up tees and I drive the green TOTALLY blind and make a 2.

El Camino par 3 in the afternoon. Some very cool looks into some greens that you wouldn't get otherwise.

Crappy pizza supper. Beer. Chilling. Chipping on the 11th.

Totally dead and wiped out.

Night golf par 3.

Some guys, "what's the yardage?"

Counselors : "somewhere between 85 and 115".

"What's the longest shot?"

"100? 115?"

"well, what is it? 100 or 115?"

Duuuuuuuuuuuuude.

Me/Domes : "Wanna do it?"

Me/Domes : "Yup."

It's on the THIRD HOLE. What? We walk to the 3rd tee box from 10 following like 10,000 glow sticks.

Mayhem. Glow balls. Glow stick targets. Shots going into 2 and 3. Guys catching balls on the green (well, me). Guys throwing balls back up to the tee. Some guys taking it WAY TOO SERIOUSLY.

Domes and I eventually cut over to 11 and play it in with glow balls and a wedge.

Beer.

Domes goes to bed. I'm whizzing and see lights in the sky. Everyone is coming up 11 with glow balls in 8somes. Watch them come in.

Sleep OK.

Egg, sausage biscuit for brekkie.

11 holes. Cart. Domes and I are mixing up the tee boxes. There are some great shots out there from the up tees.

The line into 2 is right over where those guys standing on 11 are. . .

gxwq8e4f0jxc.jpg

Great tee shot on 1 from just over the right hump. Probably driveable.

On 4, from Up tees, domes drives into the Canyon. Hits the giant tree right next to green, ball drops to about 10 feet and Domes makes 3.

Finishing the trip. . .

On 10, we're playing dead into the wind from 235. I hit driver to 5 feet and make it for 2. Yawp.

On 11, Domes has a dead downhill 25 foot putt that he has to start 90º to his left. His back is to the hole. He taps it, it turns left. . .rolls straight down the hill and into the cup for his last shot of the weekend.

More cart hose.

Vroooom.

10.5 hours of sleep on Sunday night. Bed and wife never felt so good. Nap on Monday.

• Like 2

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

City how did the hammock work out - had you used it before? I tried one out before doing a couple nights on the AT a few years back but I just could not get comfortable in it. Ended up in a single-size REI tent that turned out to be pretty easy to setup. But the hammock always seemed like it would be easier to pack/carry on a trip.

> @dcmidnight said:

> City how did the hammock work out - had you used it before? I tried one out before doing a couple nights on the AT a few years back but I just could not get comfortable in it. Ended up in a single-size REI tent that turned out to be pretty easy to setup. But the hammock always seemed like it would be easier to pack/carry on a trip.

So, I had never slept in it before. I got it for this trip and we're going to Maine later this year. I've been setting it up in my back yard and napping in it. I'm very comfortable in it. I've played with the tightness of hanging it, and found a good angle to lay in it. You need to mess around a little to get it just right.

Now, I didn't sleep great in it either night, but I don't sleep well when I go camping anyway. I don't sleep well in the back of the van at Bethpage when I have pillows and a blanket and ear plugs and blinders.

I don't know how much easier it is to pack/carry. There are "hangers" who find ways to go really lightweight which wasn't a concern for me. I use tree straps and carabiners, but there are guys who set them up with just strong cord. Overall, would bang again.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

> @SullGolf said:

> City, what was the trip/event? I thought you were just going down and playing. Sounds like a blast.

"Home on the Range" organized by "Lie and Loft". 18 friday. Camp. Unlimited Saturday. Camp. 18 Sunday. I mentioned it a couple weeks ago, but I know you're not following as closely as before.

Insta tag is #hotr2 but there's not much there.

Here's a good pic of the tents.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Ranger, chatting. . .

"you guys heard about what's going on on Everest? Like 10 people have died in the last week."

Jeff, "that mountain is just covered with garbage and dead bodies."

Me, jokingly, "whoa dude. . .you're making me homesick for Baltimore."

Ranger. Thinks. "oh, I guess these guys are racist like me. Let me feel them out. . ."

Ranger, "something racist." (not horribly so)

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Next time someone goes to Tobacco Road, find out how they get the deer skulls for the hole in one trophies. By the IG link that City posted, they given away 13 since February 16th of this year. My first thought would be a local butcher, but then most guys who take a buck around here (Eastern Shore ya'll!) are ALWAYS going to take the antlers. So then I think the help would shoot them and bring them in, or post a bounty for local hunters? But then I kind of look how large some of them are and I don't think they're white-tailed deer skulls at all. Where is DT15 for all my dead wildlife related questions?

Suck it, Ceejay.

the night golf was crazy because you couldn't see anything but the glow sticks. City was behind the green and a ball went to the back. He tapped it with his wedge back towards the hole and everyone thought there was just a ton of backspin on the ball. So, he decided to try and catch one in the air and from where I was standing it looked and sounded like it hit him right in the chest. He was also yelling out Harry Potter stuff to the people on the tee and I don't know anything about Harry Potter so I did not find it funny. Thanks for excluding me, City

There were some really cool people there. Unfortunately we didn't get to play as much golf with them as we would have liked. There were also a lot of dolts there. Dudes who were "doin it for the 'gram". Guys who had nothing else to talk about on Sunday morning except how fast they think the greens are going to be running. Could see some people slamming clubs and s*** after they putted out. Give me a mf'ing break. What'd you shoot, bro?

The "Camp Counselors" from lie and loft did not act like they were "doin it for the 'gram". I feel kind of bad saying it, but I was a little surprised they were as cool as they were. They are a solid group of guys.

We finished the Saturday morning shotgun in 4 hours (#11 was our last hole. We were group 12a), City had already air dryed and we were sitting having a beer when 12B got to the 10th tee. It took them at least 5 hours to play that round. Once word got around that the Pine Valley guy (who complained to a lie+loft guy that he was late the first night and didn't get any dinner) had an RV, you could hear the dolts gears turning about how they're totally doing RV's next year. One guy posted that he lost his lamb donut ball marker. I didn't even bring my Dan Quayle bmark because I didn't want to lose it and I wasn't risking it to show off for any strangers.

That's the kind of stuff that annoyed me, and it's probably swinging more that way than the other next year.

xhoop asked me if I thought the course was overrated or underrated after spending a weekend there. As a golf course in the normal course of play, at $170 a round or whatever the greens fee is, it is completely overrated. As a golf playground where you can play from wherever you want (picking different tees, hitting the longest putts on every green, etc...) it is underrated. It's the best place I can think of to do that, and if I think about it, that was the best part of the trip. It just seemed like 85% of the people there were there to make a score and grind it out, and the thought never crossed their mind to do things any differently.

Martha is the head pro down there, and she was busting her a** the entire weekend. She was back in the kitchen making sausage egg biscuits on Sunday morning. How many times have you seen a head pro doing anything other than nothing? It was impressive. Cart Barn kids were working hard. L+L guys had everything set up. Overall, it was cool.

• Like 1

Very cool recaps. I'm not ashamed to say that's not a trip I think I could handle. I'm not built for that.

I just posted my best round in the post kids era this morning. Eagled 18 to shoot -1. I'm beyond psyched. I can't believe I contained myself when it went in. I knew what it meant.

Now I'm dragging my butt to work. I can tell you that it will not be a productive afternoon, with this on my mind.

• Like 2

> @baddomes said:

> The guy we played night mini-golf with proudly told us that he belongs to the 20th best-ranked course in north carolina. He was kind of surprised we hadn't heard of it. I can't remember the name.

So, domes and I are pretty toasty. The putting green has 72 people on it. Balls are going everywhere. There's some OB rule but no one really knows what it is. People are whacking balls back to others and stopping them from going off the green.

I hadn't even noticed, but these guys are going first on every shot.

We get to hole 3 or 4 (we started on 8) and the one guy, sorta seriously, goes, "ok, guys, time to change the batting order. You're up."

Like they wanted to get reads in the dark with glow balls.

That's the spirit, guys.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I'll get a few deets up as soon as I can. I showed up to work, settled in to eat my lunch and not be productive, and within minutes I'm getting hounded to actually produce something. Unbelievable.

I was not nervous about the putt. It wasn't a putt that was gonna be easy to get close, and it was like 30ft, so not something you have any expectation of making. I tried to stay focused on the putt, but even if my mind wanders, it's to, "alright I can get down in 2 and have a nice even par round." If I'm sitting there even par, and it's 8ft for birdie, any mind wandering would be to a much less care free place.

• Like 1