2024 John Deere Classic WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

I'm not gonna come in with a blow-by-blow, and bore everybody to death.

Tale of the Tape:

tyxy25ens0pb.png

No holds barred, roll em all in for 71. No rakes. No swipe and miss "oh that was good" stuff. I've been putting in work, so damn it felt good to hang that round on the board. It's easily the best round I've put up since having kids - probably even in longer than that.

The eagles on 2, and 18 were highlights, obviously. I don't know that I've ever hit either of those greens in 2 from the tips. Granted the ball was flying in the extreme swamp conditions, but the tips were the tips today. Full 7000 yards. I fired Driver->3 wood to about 25ft or so on 2, and sunk. Contrary to what Sully said, trying to wipe a little bit of grime on my finish, 18 is not an easy finisher to claim a low score from the back tees. It's 525, and we had a wind hurting from the tee, turning into a cross-hurt wind on the approach. I piped a drive, and then fired a 3w from right next to the 250 yard marker to the back-middle of the green, about 30ft from the hole. An improbable sink took it from "sweet round" to "OH SH!T, I JUST BROKE PAR!"

Today was the kind of round I felt I had coming. I've been getting rounds in. I've been practicing, for a change, trying to plug some of the holes in my game. I've been hitting it well. I hit it well again today. I sunk some putts - both eagles, and a few big ones to make pars and keep the dropped shots at bay. I missed a few save chances, and good birdie looks, too. The bogeys on 3 and 4 were pretty dumpy. It's not like everything went 100% my way, and was the perfect storm. There were times I could've easily dropped shots that I didn't, and times I could've easily grabbed some birds that I didn't. It was fairly balanced, not a freakishly optimized score. It was the kind of round that with continued work, I feel like I should be able to go out and do again once in a while over the remainder of the season.

I'm getting pretty smart at playing that course from those tees. I played away from the places where it tempts to you to cut the hole, but quickly turns into jail. I really trusted the spots where experience has told me to club down more than it it seems like you need to. Bae hit it really nicely (shocker, I know), but didn't have that same recent history of experience there to lean on. He missed a couple tee balls just slightly, but was playing too far to the side you absolutely can't miss on. The difference between his round and my round, execution wise, was RAZOR thin. I just played the right shots all day.

As I mentioned, it was an absolute swamp. We teed at 7:10, and that was the most uncomfortable 70 degrees I've felt, maybe ever. I don't know that it even touched 80 by the time we finished, but it felt every bit as oppressive as a 90something degree summer day. Part of that is surely not being used to that kind of heat yet, but it was real out there. HBD would've been out there with a dozen gloves strapped to his cart in the rotation.

• Like 1

Not trying to grime anyone or thing. That was me being as nice as possible. You can't control that your round ended on a par 4.5 (note: that was me griming it).

Out of the courses I semi-regularly play, I think Waverly is probably the toughest to go low at, and one of the tougher to finish off. I've had a few decent scores derailed on 14/16/17.

• Like 1

> @FAbb said:

> I'm not gonna come in with a blow-by-blow, and bore everybody to death.

>

> Tale of the Tape:

> tyxy25ens0pb.png

>

> No holds barred, roll em all in for 71. No rakes. No swipe and miss "oh that was good" stuff. I've been putting in work, so **** it felt good to hang that round on the board. It's easily the best round I've put up since having kids - probably even in longer than that.

>

> The eagles on 2, and 18 were highlights, obviously. I don't know that I've ever hit either of those greens in 2 from the tips. Granted the ball was flying in the extreme swamp conditions, but the tips were the tips today. Full 7000 yards. I fired Driver->3 wood to about 25ft or so on 2, and sunk. Contrary to what Sully said, trying to wipe a little bit of grime on my finish, 18 is not an easy finisher to claim a low score from the back tees. It's 525, and we had a wind hurting from the tee, turning into a cross-hurt wind on the approach. I piped a drive, and then fired a 3w from right next to the 250 yard marker to the back-middle of the green, about 30ft from the hole. An improbable sink took it from "sweet round" to "OH ****, I JUST BROKE PAR!"

>

> Today was the kind of round I felt I had coming. I've been getting rounds in. I've been practicing, for a change, trying to plug some of the holes in my game. I've been hitting it well. I hit it well again today. I sunk some putts - both eagles, and a few big ones to make pars and keep the dropped shots at bay. I missed a few save chances, and good birdie looks, too. The bogeys on 3 and 4 were pretty dumpy. It's not like everything went 100% my way, and was the perfect storm. There were times I could've easily dropped shots that I didn't, and times I could've easily grabbed some birds that I didn't. It was fairly balanced, not a freakishly optimized score. It was the kind of round that with continued work, I feel like I should be able to go out and do again once in a while over the remainder of the season.

>

> I'm getting pretty smart at playing that course from those tees. I played away from the places where it tempts to you to cut the hole, but quickly turns into jail. I really trusted the spots where experience has told me to club down more than it it seems like you need to. Bae hit it really nicely (shocker, I know), but didn't have that same recent history of experience there to lean on. He missed a couple tee balls just slightly, but was playing too far to the side you absolutely can't miss on. The difference between his round and my round, execution wise, was RAZOR thin. I just played the right shots all day.

>

> As I mentioned, it was an absolute swamp. We teed at 7:10, and that was the most uncomfortable 70 degrees I've felt, maybe ever. I don't know that it even touched 80 by the time we finished, but it felt every bit as oppressive as a 90something degree summer day. Part of that is surely not being used to that kind of heat yet, but it was real out there. HBD would've been out there with a dozen gloves strapped to his cart in the rotation.

![](https://media3.giphy.com/media/3ornjHL4fLS94x39Wo/giphy.gif?cid=4bf119fc5cef3f9a4a59666a4d4d04d3&rid=giphy.gif "")

![](https://i.imgflip.com/328brw.jpg "")

Good recap Fabb. Eagling 18 is nice, but getting through 13-17 at even is almost just as tough.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

13 was a good save. The pin was back-right. My tee shot landed towards the back left, and funneled about 2ft off the back-left of the green. It was one of those where you were coming at the pin directly along a spine. Whichever side the chip erred towards, it was going to feed further away in that direction. I ended up with about 6-7ft for par, and curled it in, which was huge.

14-15-16 played relatively short. A little breeze picked up by that point, so with good drives, I had PW-7i-PW into those greens. I had a 5i out of thick rough into 17, and put it on the green. Making a 4 there always feels great.

The conditions and weather play such a huge role in how difficult that course plays. Some of the hardest holes out there play into the prevailing wind. And when it's soft, I can't hit it far enough to really find any of the power slots. If it's soft and/or windy, I'm usually hitting 5i or more into every single green from 13-17. It can be downright brutal. Yesterday it was hot, and the fairways were allowing drives to roll, so I hit Hybrid-PW-7i-PW-5i.

Along the same vein, Bae and I were briefly talking about the world handicap system. Is that supposed to start in 2020? It'll be really interesting to see how the whole daily scratch rating works out. We agreed that it will likely work well at clubs, but not so convinced on public courses. At a club, everybody has an index, and should be posting their rounds. The percentage of the total rounds played at a club on any given day that get posted should be fairly high. Public tracks - not so much. We were trying to take WAGs at what percentage of the rounds played at a course like Waverly on any given day actually get posted. The first number one of us threw out was 20% but we immediately both thought it was likely even lower than that. Are there stats out there on what percentage of golfers keep an index? I bet that number is fairly low. And then if you could break it down to what percentage of those that keep one are at private clubs versus public - that number is probably low, too. How good is the daily scratch rating going to be at a course, if something like 10% of the rounds being played on any given day actually get posted? How big does the sample need to be for the system to be taking the daily conditions into account more so than how well or poorly a select few golfers played that day?

I was between Cantlay and Kuchar for this week. I'm actually not off Cantlay for the open. He's been playing great. Tons of Kuch and Cantlay. Sitewide, Kuch is 23.4%. Cantlay is 15.1%. Top two.

The guys ahead of me for Q3 have Kuch and Tiger, so I'm not catching one of them this week. Rooting for a Tiger fail. I'm not off Tiger for the US Open, either.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I went Rose this week, its the first week of our Q3 so I'm blowing it out the next few weeks to try and pick up one of the side pots.

m3xupndtx4d9.png

QI10 LS 10.5* - Ventus Blue 6x

TM Qi10 5W/ 7W - Ventus Blue 6s

Ping I230 5-6 /Blueprint S 7-8 /BP T 9-P
Vokey SM8 50*// TM Hi-Toe 54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

> @ceejay81 said:

> FAbb, the best part of your round is that you were under par without a birdie. That's quite the feat and is probably pretty rare. Congrats, man.

>

> Also, I am lone wolfing with Rory this week. GO RORS!!

![](https://i.imgflip.com/328kgn.jpg "")

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

We took Slick Rick this week as well. We're so far behind at this point, that I've gone full Q1 City. I have zero interest in spending any mental energy on analyzing who to pick. Last week I pulled Rose's name because he was defending, so we fired him. This week my buddy threw Ricky, and I said go for it. Hopefully this strategy leads to a City-like windfall of picking winners.

I thought the NLU pod with Scott Stallings was a really good listen for the podcast listeners on here. I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. It was interesting to hear him talk about his suspension for PED's. I didn't know very much about the situation except that he had been suspended in the past. He got a VERY raw deal after hearing him speak on it. He never failed a test and essentially got penalized for being honest. He had just enough name recognition and exempt status for the tour to use him as a public example that their drug testing was working. He's not shy on his frustration. Will be rooting for him going forward.

CC of Charleston and Yeamans Hall are two pretty incredible courses in the Charleston area. Looking forward to seeing CCC on tv this week, have been to the clubhouse but never got to play.

> @therealsneek said:

> I thought the NLU pod with Scott Stallings was a really good listen for the podcast listeners on here. I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. It was interesting to hear him talk about his suspension for PED's. I didn't know very much about the situation except that he had been suspended in the past. He got a VERY raw deal after hearing him speak on it. He never failed a test and essentially got penalized for being honest. He had just enough name recognition and exempt status for the tour to use him as a public example that their drug testing was working. He's not shy on his frustration. Will be rooting for him going forward.

I agree.

Now, maybe I missed something (sometimes that happens during a pod), but basically all I heard him talk about was his symptoms. . . ."I was tired. Low this thing. High this thing."

I never heard him say what he actually HAD. Did I miss something?

Was it all just because he slept bad because his nose was messed up? Was that it?

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Is there a reason they are doing a story on this now, I feel like this was 4 or 5 years ago now. But in refreshing my memory by reading a couple of these articles, it was from "extreme fatigue" and he was tired all the time.

I dont know that I feel bad for these guys anymore than I do football players when it happens. If you go to a grocery store and just buy the first random bottle you see - without checking the tour list - I dont know, I guess I dont feel really badly for you. Did he really get a raw deal? Whatever he took was on the list and he admits he never checked the list.

Now whether or not whatever he took should be on the list - I have no idea.

> @TheCityGame said:

> > @therealsneek said:

> > I thought the NLU pod with Scott Stallings was a really good listen for the podcast listeners on here. I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. It was interesting to hear him talk about his suspension for PED's. I didn't know very much about the situation except that he had been suspended in the past. He got a VERY raw deal after hearing him speak on it. He never failed a test and essentially got penalized for being honest. He had just enough name recognition and exempt status for the tour to use him as a public example that their drug testing was working. He's not shy on his frustration. Will be rooting for him going forward.

>

> I agree.

>

> Now, maybe I missed something (sometimes that happens during a pod), but basically all I heard him talk about was his symptoms. . . ."I was tired. Low this thing. High this thing."

>

> I never heard him say what he actually HAD. Did I miss something?

>

> Was it all just because he slept bad because his nose was messed up? Was that it?

He went to an Endocrinologist and that started the process of him discovering a bunch of things that weren't right with this body. He did this test that told him his biological age was 42. He was 29. That ain't good. He said he was also diagnosed with functional narcolepsy.

> @therealsneek said:

> > @TheCityGame said:

> > > @therealsneek said:

> > > I thought the NLU pod with Scott Stallings was a really good listen for the podcast listeners on here. I wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised. It was interesting to hear him talk about his suspension for PED's. I didn't know very much about the situation except that he had been suspended in the past. He got a VERY raw deal after hearing him speak on it. He never failed a test and essentially got penalized for being honest. He had just enough name recognition and exempt status for the tour to use him as a public example that their drug testing was working. He's not shy on his frustration. Will be rooting for him going forward.

> >

> > I agree.

> >

> > Now, maybe I missed something (sometimes that happens during a pod), but basically all I heard him talk about was his symptoms. . . ."I was tired. Low this thing. High this thing."

> >

> > I never heard him say what he actually HAD. Did I miss something?

> >

> > Was it all just because he slept bad because his nose was messed up? Was that it?

>

> He went to an Endocrinologist and that started the process of him discovering a bunch of things that weren't right with this body. He did this test that told him his biological age was 42. He was 29. That ain't good. He said he was also diagnosed with functional narcolepsy.

Well, I got all that, but "29-going-on-42-itis" isn't actually a disease.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green