RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

For whatever reason, City talking about food reminded me about the 7s pre-meal. Had to look it up, but last year a few of us went to Tubbys and Ill do the same again this year. Good breakfast food, and the right atmosphere for the 7s.

I will be there for pre-7's breakfast.

Highly recommended. We only had 3 or 4 last year. I'll be there.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I think I've seen a similar comparison before to MacKenzies design of the Old Course 14th, maybe its something that Zac Blair has used in his posts before re: The Buck Club design. I think its great...except for the fact that the two left lines are in the middle of the other fairway.

Can you give a designer credit for designing a golf hole with lots of "options off the tee" if it involves firing a tee shot onto the next fairway and/or playing up *that* hole?

Hmmm. I'd have to mull that one over a bit.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I think I've seen a similar comparison before to MacKenzies design of the Old Course 14th, maybe its something that Zac Blair has used in his posts before re: The Buck Club design. I think its great...except for the fact that the two left lines are in the middle of the other fairway.

Can you give a designer credit for designing a golf hole with lots of "options off the tee" if it involves firing a tee shot onto the next fairway and/or playing up *that* hole?

Hmmm. I'd have to mull that one over a bit.

Maybe it was from a time when not many people were on the course and you could just play wherever you wanted.

There's actually a couple spots on my courses that offer options up other fairways. It would be fun (but dangerous) if those options were actually more available. This is true of a lot of courses that separate fairways with trees. There's plenty of golf around where a recovery shot can (and should) be played up another fairway.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

There's actually a couple spots on my courses that offer options up other fairways. It would be fun (but dangerous) if those options were actually more available. This is true of a lot of courses that separate fairways with trees. There's plenty of golf around where a recovery shot can (and should) be played up another fairway.

Same. There are definitely a handful of spots at MV where it would be fun to play up other fairways.

I just dont know if you can give a guy credit for designing this amazing golf hole if the options off the tee involve playing on *other* golf holes. The peninsula at the OC is interesting, there are 6 courses packed in a pretty small space - which I had no idea was the case until I looked at a map.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

The only thing I don't like in that article is that it creates a dichotomy between long and easy vs tight and insane rough. There's middle ground that never seems to get explored. Or maybe people tried and it just doesn't work? Fairways that are a little narrower, rough that is a little longer, but not to Le Golf National or US Open levels.

I wonder how much of this is just a reflection of how courses are maintained for amateur golfers. Every stop on the PGA Tour is at a course that caters to their members for 51 weeks of the year. Unlike other sports, there aren't professional arenas that are maintained solely for the pros. The members don't want to play a 7,500 yard beast, and don't want to play insane rough. They want to have a fun golf experience. With few exceptions, courses are not built for professionals to play.

I liked the change up of strategery needed for Le Golf Nationale. I don't want to see it every week, but it was nice to not watch the same predictable golf shots we see on tour each week. It's too much bombing it off the tee and then having a wedge into every single par 4. Then if you miss the green, it's a flop shot from the rough. At least we had the tightly mowed areas around the greens. That will let you use some different skills.

fun, tough day at blue mash yesterday for the MD Cup final. golferdrew and i were paired up with a couple guys that were ok (being nice). one was a 54.5 year old that was playing from the white tees, while the rest of us were playing from the blue. basically, the exact thing i was complaining about once i heard about it was in my face ALL DAY. we were 90° with carts, but it was LCP in your own fairway. course though wet was in very good shape and the greens were rolling great. chilly, with little to no wind. in essence, a great day for scoring.

we did not score well.

started out on #3, 445 yards uphill, the hardest hole on the course. we were both in the fw bunker right, both short right and then both had long par putts from different sides of the hole. drew rolled his up to a couple feet and i sank mine from 20 for a nice opening par. we both missed the green on #4, drew chipped his to 10 feet, i pitched up from the right side to about 18... and then i made mine for another sweet par save. i was seeing the lines really well and the ball was turning end over end with a nice tight roll. i kinda messed up the par 5 fifth with an ill-fated decision to lay up (hit it in the rough), drew had a great look from 12 feet and we settled for par. on the par 3 6th, i hit one tight and drew rolled in a 40 footer for bird. so, we're (-1) through 4 holes and have played the toughest hole.

and 7 kills us. we each had to hit 2 tee shots, we pullhooked all of them. i had to pick up after laying 4 and being in the middle of a thornbush. drew punched out, punched out, then took 4 more. a 7 on 7 blew us up. we had a few more good holes (i made a birdie on 13 from 10 feet, drew with a birdie on 15 from 2 feet), but we made a couple more bogeys and finished at (+3). wasn't our best by far. some flashes of really good. had some yucks amongst ourselves. great to have the nerves and have to deal with them, one way or the other. drew was clutch so often, what a great guy to have as a teammate.

in the end, i paid $135 to play worthington manor and blue mash in tournament-quality conditions and walked off with a great experience and a $50 gc. i'm still very disappointed we didn't win.

winners came in at (-5) in the gross flight, dunno what the net flight results were as i had to bounce before they were announced.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Weekend Recap

Golf: Played Sat. with City and Domes. Really fun group and enjoyable course. Had a fun three man game going as well. City can explain better I'm sure but essentially was 1 vs 2 on every hole with the teams just rotating each hole. My first time at woodlands and 100% would play again. Weather was so weird: sun, clouds, rain, clear skies, hot and cold all in a two hour window. City played very solid from the first hole on. Solid off the tee but very good with irons, short game, and putter. No surprise he is living under 2 right now. Domes was a bit off his normal game but still had some good shots and was a great cart partner for the day. The group at large had a lot of good shots as a group. Holes 1, 9, and 16 come to mind. All three of us played very good golf shots as a group. Fried fish from a golf course, always a bit of a risk, was very good after the round. I started off a bit slow and then started playing well as we go close to the turn. First time ever with three birds in a row, 8, 9, 10. Did swing and miss twice. Ball was off the fairway in the right trees on the part 5 13th. Look down and its between two tree roots about 8 inches apart. Literally sitting right in the middle of them. Attempt to punk it out but club skips off the back root and I go completely over the ball. Try a second time, same thing....probably should be thankful I made a 7 on the hole and didn't break my wrist. Domes and City both enjoyed watching.

Movies: Watched The Revenant at home on Friday. Wow - that is a gosh darn movie. Cannot believe it took me that long to watch. Hardy and Leo were both amazing. A Star is Born sat. Very good movie. Highly recommend - bradley cooper was great. Not required to be seen in theater.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

IT’S 7’S WEEK, DINGII!

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

Final comments on Saturday:

City was playing great. Had a 10 footer for 72 on 18 but didn't convert. Just a really good round though. It helped that the greens were a little slow and very receptive, but scoring that well on a course with those types of greens means everything is working well. Only one bad tee shot that I remember....a hooked 4i on 18 tee....but otherwise awesome.

Hoop has been quietly working very hard on his game via lessons at OGP, and there was a noticeable improvement on Saturday. His irons are much more crisp and his trajectory is perfect. Hit a few really good 4 irons off tees. 8-9-10 was impressive.

I was kind of sleepwalking through the round. Felt bad that I didn't have it for the match, but I made up for it with my wit and charm.

Overall, very fun weekend of golf.

Played Left/Right Friday. . .Guy tells us on hole 7 "if you add your birth year to your age, you'll get 2018." Me, "you're joking right?". Him, "no, try it, it only happens like once every thousand years." (in case, you don't follow, no, this happens every single year as long as you've had your birthday.)

On hole 5, we have two guys out to the left in good shape. Me and other low guy are both in the right rough. I'm not in good position, furthest right. This hole is 3 left, playing 2 right. Birthday boy pumps one out to the right, so that he's out of play and teamed up with me. We lose the hole. He tells us after the round he was just trying to "split up" me and the other low guy. SMH.

I have a standing "10/5" closeout with other low guy. it's always on. Doesn't need to be spoken. Two weeks ago, I'm 2 up with 2 to play on him. He birdies 17 and then pars 18 while I bogey 18 from the same position. I was STEAMING.

Anyway, Friday, I'm 2 up on him again going into 17. I 3-putt from 12 feet after a BOMB 4-iron into the wind. He gets up and down from 30 yards. So I'm 1 up. He pumps one down the middle on 18. I push one right into trees. From 195, I have to hit a 4W to keep it under limbs and thread a gap like Mickelson with the 6 iron at Augusta. I caught it perfect, lands about 50 yards short of the green, starts running, right past the front pin and over the back of the green. I chip back to 15 feet. He just misses birdie and I drop the 15 footer to take it 1 up. He was still incredulous yesterday.

Yesterday, we played 3v3, 1 low net with junk. Had a great match. I drop a 40 footer for birdie on 1. On 2, I've got about 10 feet for bird, and it's going dead center and hits a ball mark that pops it up and left and it lips out. EVERYONE had that birdie marked when it left the face.

All day there are like 4 putts every hole that matter. I drop a 10 foot curler on 3, then they sink from up the hill to halve. They get two sandies on 4. On 5, we've got 4 looks at birdie and me and low guy both make for the halve. On 6, my partner makes a great 4 footer for the greenie. I miss a birdie/sandy combo FTW on 7. I get the greenie on 9 by a foot, but missed the bird. I miss 10 footers for bird on 14 and 15, but they miss a couple and we're dormie going into 16, but blow it, then we need a 4 footer from a stroker to halve it on 17 and he sinks and we take the back and the 18 2&1. 6some finished in 4:15 on a Sunday morning.

Meanwhile, I've got my 10/5 match going and I'm 2 up after 10. Bogey, bogey, double and now I'm 1 down. Par, par and I'm 1 up. Bogey and we're square going into 17. Blood on every hole on the back. He pumps one OB, but I make an "easy" par on 18 to take that 1 up. Good match on front, but poor match on back.

The game with Hoop and Domes was 1v2 on every hole with junk and carryover. Hoop shot 83 with two whiffs for his lowest differential of the year. I was giving him 14 and beat him by 10, but somehow we came out even. The whiff hole was me vs. them 2, both stroking. Domes had the lefts, though, and took himself out on tee. Hoop and I were about the same distance, but he's in the woods lying zero. Two swings later, he was in the same spot lying 2. That was an ouchie to win as a single and then he won me and him the greenie on the next hole to really add insult to Domes.

One hole REALLY ticked me off. 157 down hill playing into a breeze. I'm in between 8 and 7 iron, but leaning towards 7. Long is trouble. I don't usually take too much off for down hill shots. Domes comes up a little short and so I'm thinking, "7 iron". Then, hoop hits middle of green with a 9 iron. Now, I'm a hair shorter than hoop with irons, but not that short. So, I go, "8 iron". Good strike, straight at pin, comes up short of green. Bogey. Can't believe I let another guy's club choice affect me like that. We all thought the wind picked up for me over them, but 7 iron was the club either way.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I can't believe we have 6 footers on the smalls.

That's the height cutoff that makes someone as Word not allowedhole until proven otherwise. The whole point of the tournament is to make 6 footers realize what a waste of resources they are.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

827 is 2 inches taller than City?

I'm bringing a tape measure to the 1st tee.

He used his height from his dating profile.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

827 is 2 inches taller than City?

I'm bringing a tape measure to the 1st tee.

He used his height from his dating profile.

He got his height from his momma, not his daddy.

he was tape measured while wearing extra cushion-y band shoes.

or high heels.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

My mom is 5’4”, actually.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith