MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

If anybody hits the lottery, DO NOT collect anything until you seek a F.A. first. Never invest that money yourself. Spend the time to hide it from the IRS with professionals. Then dream BIG.

A F.A. wouldn't sniff my money.

I just got 200M for doing nothing except living in a country where we can collectively throw away 200M without batting an eye. I don't mind throwing a little back to Uncle Sam, but some nimrod wants 2% of my pile every year for doing what anyone who can read a book can do. . .AS IF.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I just got 200M for doing nothing except living in a country where we can collectively throw away 200M without batting an eye. I don't mind throwing a little back to Uncle Sam, but some nimrod wants 2% of my pile every year for doing what anyone who can read a book can do. . .AS IF.

This is why after I finished b-school I never went into the business. I worked at what was American Express Financial for a week - literally. I knew that anyone with half a brain could open an online account and park their money in a handful of 5 star rated mutual funds. Worst job ever.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

City has never sat before the IRA apparently. Do it yourself Ha Ha.

sez you.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Hide it under the mattress next to that issue of Hustler magazine - like the old days

or,

bury it in the backyard in a bunch of coffee cans. Your yard will look like it got hit with mortar shells.

My mom recently showed us a bag of Chinese silver coins that the family had buried in the yard during WW2. She asked us what to do with them. We told her to keep a few as momentos and sell the rest.

I think someone mentioned this pod a week ago (maybe Chief), but the NLU pod with Max Homa is pretty good. Good stories about playing on the tours, but also about getting ready for events, practice, etc etc. And, he's pretty funny.

There's about a 2 minute stretch where they just ride Big Randy for about 2 minutes for missing a 3 footer. Homa is like, "I learned a lot that day, like just how much of a role the right hand plays in putting."

I listened to it after reading your post.

He was an entertaining guest.

They didn't really go deep on it, but the stuff about self-belief was good. Interesting tidbits about getting lost focusing on what everybody else does well, how good they are, and sort of losing track of your own strengths, knowledge, and skills.

It was actually really timely to hear those parts of the interview...

Course conditions and weather permitting, I've got the fourball with PQ on Monday. I'm hoping if nothing else, it'll be a good mental exercise for me. It should be a good opportunity to work on the Domes-like mindset of just playing my game, and not caring what people think about it. I stalked the team we're playing with. One is a +1.3, and the other is a +3.3 mini tour burnout. I think it's going to be good for me mentally to have to go out there and play with a group that should wipe the floor with us. Even with the "tournament pressure" effect, it'd be really easy to get in a comfort zone if we had been paired with a team of similar skill level. I'll be fighting feelings of self consciousness for sure, but at least listening to that pod kind of got me mindful about it.

Course conditions and weather permitting, I've got the fourball with PQ on Monday.

GET IT FABBO! i hope you celebrate inappropriately after making back-to-back-to-back birdies.

source.gif

i've got the MD Cup makeup date on sunday with GolferDrew. 1:30 shotgun. excited and nervous about it. i should be live-grinting for both of us, i think dom will be doing it as well. wish us luck, threadizens!

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Yeah, what Fabb was talking about was Homa thinking, "oh, I played with Charles Howell and I don't ball strike good enough" and then he'd play with KJ Choi and go, "I don't have a good enough sand game."

He was basically looking at the best guys in every part of their game and going, "I need to be able to do that thing they do better than anyone as good as them in all facets of the game."

Unrealistic expectations.

He sounds like he's ready to try to own what he's good at. For whatever that's worth.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

dont handicap stalk your competitors or even your group. its irrelevant and a sign of a lack of self belief. been there done that!!!

That dude is so weird.

I kind of want to dislike him, but I just can't. I'm on his wavelength on a lot of things.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

"don't whine. don't cry about your scores. don't tell everybody what you shoot and tell a story behind it... no one cares."

uh, sorry george. telling everyone what we shoot -and telling a story behind it- is a lot of what happens in this internet space. our round recaps would suck otherwise. :) i think a lot of us have stopped whining tho... i can still get a little whiny, that's for sure.

really good video tho. worth embedding it if more people will watch it.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

City, if you want to dislike him, you just have to act like you are the best in the world at disliking him.

I really want to see everybody's "strut like you're the best" walk, especially when they don't believe it.

it's funny that he points out Rory as having a strut because Rory has a couple different struts. He has a "c0ck of the walk" strut when he's playing well, but he also has a "I don't care I just hit one OB because I have $500M dollars" walk. Like he kind of bobs his head around and looks all over without focusing on anything. It's very funny when it happens.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

"don't whine. don't cry about your scores. don't tell everybody what you shoot and tell a story behind it... no one cares."

uh, sorry george. telling everyone what we shoot -and telling a story behind it- is a lot of what happens in this internet space. our round recaps would suck otherwise. :) i think a lot of us have stopped whining tho... i can still get a little whiny, that's for sure.

That's totally different between the internet and being at the course.

I've gotten way better as time has gone by about not recapping rounds in the clubhouse. I'll talk about a couple shots, or birdies, but I don't really do the "I could have been way better. I missed this putt and got this bad bounce and yadda yadda yadda" after the rounds.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Fabb - That mini tour burnout was a member at Piedmont when I was there (maybe he still is).

He is the type of guy who will not say hello to you if you say hi to him. I'm talking about passing each other in the parking lot, not if he's practicing with headphones in. HUGE d!ckhead. I actually stepped in front of him once after I said "Hi" so he couldn't just walk past me.

The worst part about guys like the mini-tour burnout are the other members who fawn over him.

So, instead of worrying about how he made a birdie on the last hole, just think about how bad of a person he is.

You're miles ahead of this guy in the grand scheme of things, I promise. That should be your mindset.

City, if you want to dislike him, you just have to act like you are the best in the world at disliking him.

I really want to see everybody's "strut like you're the best" walk, especially when they don't believe it.

this is the epitome of 'fake it till you make it' right?

my strut involves stuffing a polish sausage in my pants pocket. #swagpoint

there was a fantastic episode of 'teen titans go.' pertinent clip:

don't judge me for watching 'teen titans go.' my boy likes it. i believe it's the best show on tv right now.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Fabb - That mini tour burnout was a member at Piedmont when I was there (maybe he still is).

He is the type of guy who will not say hello to you if you say hi to him. I'm talking about passing each other in the parking lot, not if he's practicing with headphones in. HUGE d!ckhead. I actually stepped in front of him once after I said "Hi" so he couldn't just walk past me.

The worst part about guys like the mini-tour burnout are the other members who fawn over him.

So, instead of worrying about how he made a birdie on the last hole, just think about how bad of a person he is.

You're miles ahead of this guy in the grand scheme of things, I promise. That should be your mindset.

I bet PQ has a grand time in this pairing.

it's funny that he points out Rory as having a strut because Rory has a couple different struts. He has a "c0ck of the walk" strut when he's playing well, but he also has a "I don't care I just hit one OB because I have $500M dollars" walk. Like he kind of bobs his head around and looks all over without focusing on anything. It's very funny when it happens.

I definitely have different walks. When I'm playing well, I definitely move slower, and at least perceive myself as having more of a strut. Then there's Frosty FAbb, where I move very briskly from point to point, and start walking further and further out ahead of the group. The in between walks aren't as easy to perceive, but I'm sure there are many.

I don't consciously try to modify how I'm walking. Maybe I should. When I start going frosty, there's this undeniable feeling like I'm building momentum I can't stop. Pretty much anybody on here that has played with me a few times has seen me go there before. Maybe everything I start changing about my mannerisms and behavior, all the way down to my walk, is just building that momentum. Why not try to make "the putter walk" like when you hit a GIR playing with a caddie everywhere on the golf course?

That's totally different between the internet and being at the course.

I've gotten way better as time has gone by about not recapping rounds in the clubhouse. I'll talk about a couple shots, or birdies, but I don't really do the "I could have been way better. I missed this putt and got this bad bounce and yadda yadda yadda" after the rounds.

I used to be one of those guys. Back in college an old guy playing in our money group came up to me and told me that he used to hate playing with me because I was a 'pooch-mouthed kid that whined all the time." kinda put an end to all that bc i didn't want to have anybody say that again...came close to having a flashback of that when i blocked 2 tee shots into the nether regions (never to be seen again) at LB for the DCGT event

I don't have any more insecurities I want to share with the class at the moment.

can you tell us about the grip check thingy you do before teeing off? you drove it very well at pb dye.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I've always taken my grip very deliberately, as a part of my PSR. Left hand goes on first. I hold the club at the bottom of or below the grip with my right hand, and get my left hand oriented so that the club face is parallel to my left wrist when flat, and so that it's properly situated in my hand. The "when flat" is the bit that probably stands out as different than what you've seen me do forever. I had always just held the club directly in front of me, with the leading edge pointing straight up and down. Then I'd put my left hand on in a cupped position. I noticed that when I grip it that way and then flatten my left wrist like I do in my swing, the club was in a real closed position.

how many of you are grabbing a club and trying to grip it like fabb just described?

<raises hand>

i'm much more of a thisfeelsgoodmustberightletstryit kinda guy. your grip routine helps explain why you're a low single digit and i'm a generous 6.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

I'll change my grip at address if it doesn't feel right.

#thatswhyIman18handicap

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M