MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

I think the issue with 14 is that unless you can hit one greenside-ish, it funnels everything down to the bottom on the right side of the fairway, and then you're left with a <100 yard elevated shot into a shallow (from that angle) green that runs off both short and long (again, from that angle). But there's a wall on the left side of the fairway. Like, you could pull hook a drive and it might funnel out of the trees back into the fairway. It's not unfair.

Even if you take a straight line to the green, you'll end up down at the bottom. That's not bad architecture in my opinion. It tempts you into hitting straight at the green, but if you stop and look for a second you realize that the line is left of the green, off the hillside. It's a really good short 4.

bt14-16_dsl6299_w.jpg

IIRC, it's controversially difficult to hit an approach to from the right side of the fairway, yes? Well that fairway is a mile wide, and it doesn't exactly take a spectacular shot to keep a tee shot to the right.

Yeah, the approach from the right side of the fairway is supposed to be exceptionally difficult. Up hill and off angle. Take your average 15 HC and can lead to some huge numbers. Have also heard of golfers of less skill than you just ping ponging the ball back and forth from the left and right side of the green.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

I think the issue with 14 is that unless you can hit one greenside-ish, it funnels everything down to the bottom on the right side of the fairway, and then you're left with a <100 yard elevated shot into a shallow (from that angle) green that runs off both short and long (again, from that angle). But there's a wall on the left side of the fairway. Like, you could pull hook a drive and it might funnel out of the trees back into the fairway. It's not unfair.

Even if you take a straight line to the green, you'll end up down at the bottom. That's not bad architecture in my opinion. It tempts you into hitting straight at the green, but if you stop and look for a second you realize that the line is left of the green, off the hillside. It's a really good short 4.

bt14-16_dsl6299_w.jpg

BTW - I think it looks awesome and can't wait to play it. Just curious about the opinions of those who have. I think a lot of the issue is people think they should be able to make an easy par on a short 4, and that isn't the case with this hole.

Ping G430LST 10.5' - Ventus Blue 6S
Srixon ZX 15' - HZDUS Smoke Blue RDX 6.0
Ping G 3 Hybrid

Ping G 430 4 Hybrid

Srixon ZX5 MK2 5, ZX7 MK2 6-GW - Nippon Modus 105S
Titleist SM9 54' and 58' - S Grind
Cleveland HB Soft 11S

The tee ball on #14 is one of the most "linksy" shots on the resort. lots of mounds to bounce and roll off of, and your ball is in motion for like 15-20 seconds after you hit it.

I think of #14 at BT like #4 at Mid Pines. You have a couple of options from the tee, but if you fail to execute you're staring at a bogey or worse. Both just over 300 yards.

Fabb to any future thread trip reports...

giphy.gif

Find a way, and go. Don't wait for somebody else to plan it. Don't wait for a big group. Start pinching pennies, and planning now. There is not a chance in hell you'll regret it.

This has been my advice to just about everyone regarding any trip you want to take. Just do it, you'll find people who want to go.

RIP TM Stealth2 10.5*  Welcome back OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // PXG Gen6 XP
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom / TM Spider // Left Dash

I drove to left of 14 green, IIRC. Maybe was scared of going long, barely got it on the surface and 2 putted.

It wasn't as bad as one of the short 4s on Dormie (13?).

I'll be interested in a year when I'm on a course with Fabb and I go "first thing that pops into your mind when I say Bandon. Go!"

Could be something totally different than he has in his report.

The first course I played was Old Mac so if you said that to me it was walking up onto the 7th green and seeing the ocean for the first time. That was sexual.

Great report Fabb. Great pics.

Birdie on 4 at old Mac is nuts.

I birdied 4 at Pac first time I played it. Back pin. Driver. 6 iron. 10 footer. Still remember that one.

I also remember birdie that looong 3 at Trails. Like 230. Hit it into back bunker and got it in with the lawn crew watching.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

There's a lot of short grass left of that green as well. You could putt from basically anywhere in this picture. I don't see it as that extreme of a place to end up, should an approach from the left fail to hold the green.

IMG_20181004_172009.jpg

Also, one thing I remember about that hole (and you can sort of see it in the sabold picture above) is that the green does fall away to the right. So when you're left of that green, having your next shot roll over and away is definitely in play. But, also, you need to get that to the surface from the left, or it can fall back to your feet. It's the type of innocent looking shot that you encounter in a place like that that actually takes balls and execution to pull off.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I need one player for a trip to the Greenbrier. Need to do this prior to Nov. 6th. Has to be a Sunday thru Monday or Tues. trip. All of this is paid for, playing the white course. Anybody interested?

VapidDamagedAlaskankleekai-size_restricted.gif

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Not exactly the Greenbrier, but I still need 1 for the 7's on October 20th. None of it is paid for. Kent, you can't play it this year? What's up?

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I have a wedding to go to that the wife thinks is important City. I like being married so I am going. Every weekend is spoken for until Nov 17th. I intend to play in the Turkey Shoot on the 10th. Someone gave me the free passes to play at Greenbrier and I have a place to stay from another friend 45 minutes away. Would like to go down on Sunday and play Monday and drive home after playing. It is free, just have to check to see that the course is open on Mondays. If not I would like to play on Tuesday, and then come home. Have Senior stroke play this weekend, tournaments every Saturday for a month and a wedding. Playing WW this Friday in a charity thing.

Could be possible to leave Saturday night and play Sunday as well.

This Michael is becoming a monster. Pressure dropping like crazy. Eyewall is beautiful. Hit Cat 4 overnight.

Some people in the comments at Cat 6 are thinking it could get to Cat 5. (generally intelligent comments at that site).

d0bb0aa41800b911d2be7af893d3f7e29e59288eaca9ad124ff1da4f1e7668d0.gif

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

There's a spot my wife and I want to go fishing in Belize and so its one of the places I have bookmarked on a weather site. Boom out of nowhere this weekend, a hurricane.

Maybe bc of how it formed but I feel like compared to the last hurricane, I sort of slept on this one. Those winds are no joke.

I like that blog, good discussion during/after the last hurricane about how the storm surge/flooding concerns really mean we need to update how storms are categorized - IE not just by wind speed.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

I have a wedding to go to that the wife thinks is important City. I like being married so I am going. Every weekend is spoken for until Nov 17th. I intend to play in the Turkey Shoot on the 10th. Someone gave me the free passes to play at Greenbrier and I have a place to stay from another friend 45 minutes away. Would like to go down on Sunday and play Monday and drive home after playing. It is free, just have to check to see that the course is open on Mondays. If not I would like to play on Tuesday, and then come home. Have Senior stroke play this weekend, tournaments every Saturday for a month and a wedding. Playing WW this Friday in a charity thing.

Could be possible to leave Saturday night and play Sunday as well.

What weekend are you going ?

There's a spot my wife and I want to go fishing in Belize and so its one of the places I have bookmarked on a weather site. Boom out of nowhere this weekend, a hurricane.

Maybe bc of how it formed but I feel like compared to the last hurricane, I sort of slept on this one. Those winds are no joke.

I like that blog, good discussion during/after the last hurricane about how the storm surge/flooding concerns really mean we need to update how storms are categorized - IE not just by wind speed.

Well, just a few days ago, it was supposed to come ashore as a TS, I think. No one really had it on their radar and then it just got a giant SUCK going. All those geeks at that site didn't even think they'd wake up to this. One of the comments said there are 25,000 people in Panama City Beach that didn't evacuate.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I need one player for a trip to the Greenbrier. Need to do this prior to Nov. 6th. Has to be a Sunday thru Monday or Tues. trip. All of this is paid for, playing the white course. Anybody interested?

Is your daughter coming?

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Well, just a few days ago, it was supposed to come ashore as a TS, I think. No one really had it on their radar and then it just got a giant SUCK going. All those geeks at that site didn't even think they'd wake up to this. One of the comments said there are 25,000 people in Panama City Beach that didn't evacuate.

This time of year that area of the peninsula sort of from Cancun due South, they seem to get a lot of strong storms that just blow themselves out. Haven't seen anything like this that I can remember, sort of checked the weather a couple days ago and suddenly it was going to be a Cat 4.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

He played a couple times a year at most for pretty much his entire life. When I first met him, he was starting to actually get into playing a bit more. It's really been the past 6 years or so that he's fallen in love with the game and can't get enough of it, and that he joined a club. I married my wife a little more than 8 years ago now.

So in summary, no I didn't marry my FIL.

She wanted to at first but No

I am out, too close to my pinehurst trip.

But I would of made an exception for her.

Love you Kent

Callaway Epic Speed Triple Diamond LS *9.0 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *15 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway Mavrik *18 w/ UST Attas 11
Callaway 19' Apex Pros 4-Pw/ UST Recoil 125 Protos F4 
Callaway MD5 50W & 54W & 58X w/ UST Recoil 125
protos F4

Tyson Lamb Customed Long Neck Allendale 
#lookatthebaby #teamcallaway

Pros:

-FAbb has a golf buddy to go on trips with

-FAbb's wife can't guilt trip him so much when he's golfing with her dad

-Sweet country club hookups

-FIL did not demand a divorce after meeting FAbb's friend CityGame in person,

Cons:

-Can't go on golf trips without him now

Meh, my initial read from Caves Valley was that Fabb's FIL was kind of a jerk. Would need a couple more rounds with him to formalize that opinion, who knows, maybe I'm completely off base. Fabb, I recommend maybe Pine Valley or Philly Cricket Club as some potential meeting places.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Fabb's FIL : All I remember about that unassuming gentle man was that he brought a ton of snacks on the golf trip.

Also, all the blow and hookers.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

#Pinehurst2019

Negotiations at the OCGolfRick manor are tense. The Kavanaugh nomination was less contentious than this. At the moment, we're at a standstill, with spa treatments and free time without the kids being dangled, but as of yet no movement.

That does not mean, however, that I don't want to lobby early for my choice of roommates.

Hive Tour Titles: 0
Capitol Cup Singles Record: Undefeated.
Suck it, Ceejay.

Having a golfing FIL definitely makes it easy. You're 'accounted for,' with family, and probably playing somewhere decent. Mine is also a great guy who fishes like a madman, smokes cigars all day, and likes scotch.

If I wasn't honeymooning next week I most definitely would have piggybacked onto my FIL's Pebble/Pasatiempo trip.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

This guy is standing in the hurricane on periscope.

https://www.pscp.tv/w/1mnxeopjyNWGX

pressure got down to like 925. Winds near 150. Unbelievable.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green