2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

MD/DC/VA Golfers - Twelve Monkeys Mental Divergence

eagle1997

Man oh man. Yesterday was a fun day at Worthington with Dom, PQ, and 827. I felt like it was my first time picking up a golf club as I had no idea where the ball was going. Pretty sure I just lost another ball typing up this post. I walked with Dom while PQ and 827 carted it up. I hadn't played a round with the other guys yet, so it was good to get out there with them. PQ hits it with bad intentions. Dom has the smoothest, most effortless looking swing. He was throwing darts out there. The ball definitely sounds different when they hit the ball. 827 was smoking some tee shots out there. He was getting off the tee really well. I had a good 3 hole stretch on 15-17, but that was about it.

Golf is such a four letter word and can be so discouraging at times. I go from a 90 on Saturday to shooting 108 Sunday. That's mad skillz there.

#ELohEL

You forgot my fried egg against the lip on 9. It was insane from the Right Bunker. I had to basically hit that sideways perfectly to get it out. Somehow popped it out and a foot onto the green.

Titleist TS2, 9.5, Tensei AV Series Blue 55
Titleist 917 F2, 16.5, Diamana LTD M+ Red 60
Titleist 818 H1, 23, Tensei Red AMC
Titleist 718 AP2's, 5-PW, AMT White S300
Vokey SM7, Tour Chrome, 50 (F), 54 (M), and 58 (D)
Scotty Cameron Studio Style Newport 1.5
Ball choice: ProV1x

Hey, I also stream! Check it out if you want! https://www.twitch.tv/scottwsmith

Oldbergkamp and I hit Meadows Farm today. Haven't added up the score but it wasn't good, even with back to back birdies on 7 and 8. I was throwing darts from 125-130 yds. Problem was that distance was the only time darts were thrown. Front 9 was a calm 1.5 hrs, back 9 was a maddening 2.5 hrs. Sure beat working!

Taylormade M3 460 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 917 F2 - Fujikura Speeder 757 Evo IV
Titleist 816 H1 - Fujikura Motore Speeder TS 8.8 HB
Cobra King Forged Tour - 5-PW - DG 105
Cleveland RTX Zipcore 50/54/58 - DG 115
Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

Just found this thread, any of you all in Richmond Va

Welcome!

Not many people that far south. jkc-rva is sometimes on here and he is in Richmond. I'm probably the furthest south (Culpeper) that is on regularly.

Scotty Cameron Futura 6M

Had a fun day at worthington with a whole bunch of hivers. Dom swings pretty well (I could teach him a few things though) :);. My game was in the crapper, was so bad it was funny. So I’m selling all my clubs and never playing again :)..

Agreed. Had 8 of us out there today. Always fun catching up with folks and meeting some new HIVERs

Apparently Eagle and I are the only ones not playing golf today.

I was not playing golf today. Just some chips and putts. Club had a huge outing today. 5 man scramble. 2 groups on every tee according to the pro. Had to be a 6 hour round.

Ping G400 LST 10º XTORSION Copper 60
RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Mizuno JPX-900 Forged 4I-GW
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Vokey 60º/04º. "The Scalpel"
Odyssey Stroke Lab Black Ten
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

I'm starting to think my driver is too light. I don't have good feel with it. The swing feel on my fairway woods is just about perfect for me, but I'm not sure if that's total weight or swing weight. I cut the butt down on my driver so it's playing a solid 1-1.5 inches shorter than stock, which screws with both weight and swing weight. Maybe I can just add some weight to the head. The Cobra replacement weights are $25 a piece though, which is absurd for an 8-18g weight. I can start with some lead tape I guess.

I don't think switching weights or drivers is going to fix my game entirely, but the number of great shots I hit with driver is so minuscule compared to my other clubs. It's been ages since I hit a driver that I felt like I really piped. I hit three 4-woods off the tee today that were better than any driver I can remember hitting all season. It's the one club where I don't feel like my lessons have made an improvement.

tee times for woodmore cc confirmed: starting at 9am. let me know, i've got invites out to a few DCGT guys as well. worlds will be colliding, in a non-capitol cup kinda way.

I’m in

Sweet.

PigPenBlues (the OTHER Alabama avatar in this thread) and a couple DCGT regulars are in as well.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

Had a great time with DC, Sully, and Dave Chen today at Worthington. The blues were playing back to the black tees on the most of the par 3s and several of the par 4s. Definitely playing long. Great time hanging with the hivers afterward. The round took 5.5 hours, so there wasn't very much time after the round.

My game has been in the crapper lately and today didn't help. My short game, especially putting, is a circus. I had 3 putters in my trunk when I got to the course, so played meeny-miney-mo while putting my shoes on to decide which one to use. I chose poorly, although it wouldn't have mattered. 5 3-jacks today. 38 putts. I finally woke up on #13 after putting a yellow Srixon Z-Star ball in play after another double bogey. Played the last 6 holes in 1 under. Played the first 12 holes in +17. yeesh.

I'm starting to think my driver is too light. I don't have good feel with it. The swing feel on my fairway woods is just about perfect for me, but I'm not sure if that's total weight or swing weight. I cut the butt down on my driver so it's playing a solid 1-1.5 inches shorter than stock, which screws with both weight and swing weight. Maybe I can just add some weight to the head. The Cobra replacement weights are $25 a piece though, which is absurd for an 8-18g weight. I can start with some lead tape I guess.

I don't think switching weights or drivers is going to fix my game entirely, but the number of great shots I hit with driver is so minuscule compared to my other clubs. It's been ages since I hit a driver that I felt like I really piped. I hit three 4-woods off the tee today that were better than any driver I can remember hitting all season. It's the one club where I don't feel like my lessons have made an improvement.

Next time I see you, try my driver. It’s D6 swing weight.

Apparently Eagle and I are the only ones not playing golf today.

I was not playing golf today. Just some chips and putts. Club had a huge outing today. 5 man scramble. 2 groups on every tee according to the pro. Had to be a 6 hour round.

I was in that scramble. It took SEVEN hours. I played Hialeah yet again. I feel for the grounds crew there. The flood plain that is the EC area has taken its toll.

Played WM Sat w/ Dom, toph and 827. Great group. I played as well as I possibly could tee to green, but some shaky putting, 2 hosel adjacents as well as one Agassi forehand winner on 18 tee left me at 83.

827 had a sick birdie chip in on 10 and went into a similar jubilant celebration to what I saw on video from UMD. Classic ish! Dom is always a pleasure to watch, a couple of breaks and he was under par. Toph and I always vibe on the course, and it was cool to see him revert back to the cult classic M2 2016. He hit a few on the money and was immediately cursing twist face.

Also, Woomdore looks dope. Any more slots?

If it "feels" the same, Im sure it's good.

giphy.gif

Sully needs to check his golf ego and play regular flex. I’m not a PGA pro, but I’ve seen his driver swings way more than 8x, much to my dismay.

TM M5 10.5°
TEE XCG4 3w 15°
Cobra BioCell 3h
Titleist AP3 4-GW

Bstone J15 52°

Cally MD3 58° Tour Grind
Bettinardi Queen Bee #5

No no no. The lack of lead tape was the problem.

In all seriousness, I play a relatively wussy stiff shaft. Thats not the problem. I just dont hit it anywhere near the center of the face with it. Id be equally bad with regular or xs right now. I was hitting my 4wood far enough today, with good traj, and it has a more stout shaft than my driver. If I could hit a driver 15 yards past my 4wood, Id be happy.

If my lead tape solution doesnt work, Ill try out Callaway Tex or someone similar this fall.

All kidding aside, Sully is correct. He was center facing it every time with the 4W, just hitting smashes one after the other - there one on 12 where I think it flew 20 yards farther than he was expecting and just flew straight over the corner of the dogleg. But the driver was weak sauce. The new compact swing is doing wonders for his irons though, contact just sounds so good. My guess would be the new shorter swing isn't vibing with that driver shaft.

Much fun getting out the course yesterday, first time playing 18 holes in two months and it was just mentally a very good thing to be out there. Good meeting Mizzy and finally playing with THDC. My tempo has definitely mellowed out with a couple months off and my distance has increased as a result which is never a bad thing. Hit a couple of Word not allowed wedge shots but that was about as bad as it got. No, I take that back, I had *19* putts on the front 9 with absolutely no speed control - that was bad. Made up for it with 12 on the back but I definitely was nearing a mental meltdown at the turn. Didn't help that it was pushing a 5.5 hour round.

Blue tees were definitely set back more than I'd seen before at WM. But even with the rain we'd had the fairways were hard even in the morning fog/dew. Averaged 243 off the tee with the 3 iron and if you take out the one bad one I hit on 10, the avg was 251. Even that one on 10 though was 198 yards and a foot off the fairway. So, very happy with the tee game. On 3, I hit 3 iron / 8 iron to 15 feet. I dont know, I think since my lesson I'd tried to be write off some of this with "eh, its the club, its not me" but at some point I have to admit the lessons might be working. And before he rains on my parade YES SULLY I KNOW IM NOT PQ AND THAT THE FAIRWAYS WERE HARD STFU AND GO PLAY WITH MORE LEAD TAPE.

(/snickers)

Hit driver 4 times but hit 4 good ones and four fairways which was promising. Smashed one off 1, decent ones off 9/13 and a good one on 18. With the fairways running out there was just no use in hitting it on most other holes. But on three of the par 5s that I hit driver, I was on or even with the green in two. 5 has always been a bit of an anomoly for me, hit 3 iron off 5 because there's just no room when you get down to the bottom of the hill and even if there was, its just not a green I'd go for with a 3W or hybrid. Its just not a hole that I've ever been visually comfortable with off the tee.

Had a few really good up and downs yesterday that was encouraging. Up and down out of the bunker on 8 for par. Hybrid chip from the back of 14 for par. Up and down from the back of 17 for bogey - which I was actually really pumped about after a garbage tee shot into the hazard. Up and down from the top of the hill on 18 for birdie.

I just have to get out more now. I can see some good rounds in front of me but its not going to happen sitting on my couch resting up.

I know the worst part about yesterday was my putting on the front 9 but it didnt help that the putting green was closed either, wtf. Its not under construction, it actually looks absolutely mint but it was closed and the putting green near the range was straight garbage. Good job WM. New bar is great too but unfortunately the service was garbage and they were basically out of every food item. All that being said I really love playing there, the course itself is so much fun, even with the long drive and the 5.5 hour round.

OG SIM 10.5* - Ventus Black 6x

BRNR 13.5 / Ventus Blue Velocore+ 7s // TM Qi10 5W/ 7W Ventus Blue 6s

Irons TM P7MC 5-7 / P7MB 8-P // Incoming: Ping I230/Blueprint S/T
Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Cody James custom // Left Dash

Putting green was closed last time I was at Worthington, too. Don't know what's up with that. At least they had the grass range open.

Sully will get that driver figured out. It can just take a long time. I struggled with mine for so long, but it's the most important club in the bag, IMO.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

In his first round back, DC went out and shot 79. Jerk.

Due to the putting performances by DC and GregH yesterday, at least 4 new putters will be bought in the near future. I think it's a little overblown by both of them. Could be better, but I think they, and a lot of others, give themselves too much heartburn for missing a 15 footer.

Funny how much DJ stands out in those stats but his season really doesn't jump out in my mind. I guess because of the lack of majors, or even really threatening in the majors.

#1 SG : Tee to Green. Lowest Scoring average. Number one in the world.

30th in SG: Putting. just good enough.

RBZ Stage 2 4W 17º
Strong torso
Cobra f6 Hybrid
Vokey 54º/14º F-grind
Oncore Elixir Neon Green

Now that I've fixed my driver game by adding some lead tape, I'm thinking I could adjust my 4/5 irons as well. The dingus who sold me these clubs, who shall not be named, built them up where the 4/5 have a lighter shaft than the rest of the set, so the swing weight is different.

I feel like when GooseHook stopped posting as much, we all forgot about lead taping all the things.

Now that I've fixed my driver game by adding some lead tape, I'm thinking I could adjust my 4/5 irons as well. The dingus who sold me these clubs, who shall not be named, built them up where the 4/5 have a lighter shaft than the rest of the set, so the swing weight is different.

I feel like when GooseHook stopped posting as much, we all forgot about lead taping all the things.

Lol the summoning worked. Admittedly, I only have lead tape on my wedges now.

Fabb won the lead tape award years ago, when he actually put some on a graphite wood shaft. That's real dedication.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

Also to echo everyone's "fck this weather" sentiments, I haven't seen a course that escaped the rain's wrath on fairways. Country Club of MD was downright hurting yesterday when I was there. Less outright bare patches than SPCC, but everything is thinned out to an extreme degree. The brand new greens,though, were sensational. Really fun layout for its yardage and much more difficult than it appears.

Another great 27-hole charity event, got a nice FJ shirt for team play, a pair of the ARC SLs with the "shop" credit, and took a gamble on the silent auction which paid off. So now I get to schedule a very special round at a very special course next year.

TSR2 8*, Diamana BG 60TX

TSR1 15*, Diamana BF 80TX

TSR1 20°, Atmos TS Blue HB 8x 
Mizuno MP Fli Hi 21°, Recoil 110

JPX 923 Forged  5-P, DG120 X100
RTX6  50, 54, 58 MID (AMT White X100)
Odyssey Eleven S
Tour BX

My only equipment "change" was the Sully-striping on the 2 ball. Love how it lines up. It wasnt the alignment I had issues with, was just my complete lack of speed for @ 9 holes. If anyone is interested the next time we get out, I have the whole roll left, easy enough to cut off a couple pieces.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Weather yesterday was more like a late August day. And I'm so out of practice in terms of getting to the course and getting ready - I completely slept on putting on suntan lotion until @ the 14th hole. Face is nicely charred this morning.

Vokey SM8 50*/54*/58*

Don't let them get to ya Sully. I have the sole of my fairway wood almost completely covered in lead tape. #leadtapeallthings

Scotty Cameron Futura 6M