2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Lpga Q school

mallrat

Someone please remind me which is the easier course in Stage II.

I can't say that either is tougher. Of the top 27 players in the first round, 14 played on the B course, and 13 on the P course.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alison Lee making a nice move today.

But I'm confused again. Not a rare occurrence my wife would say....

I thought the post a bit back had the field list. Where, for example, are Mel Reid and Muni He? Exempt to final stage?

Titleist TSR3 9° Fujikura Ventus VC Red 5S

Titleist TS3 3w 13.5° HZRDUS Black 70

Titleist TS3 19°  hybrid Tensei Blue/Titleist TS3 23° Tensei Blue

Titleist T150 5-pw Nippon Pro Modus 125

Vokey SM8 50° F & 56° M SM9 60°M

Cameron Newport w/ flow neck by Lamont/ Cameron Del Mar

Alison Lee making a nice move today.

But I'm confused again. Not a rare occurrence my wife would say....

I thought the post a bit back had the field list. Where, for example, are Mel Reid and Muni He? Exempt to final stage?

Mel Reid is No, 109 on LPGA money list and Muni He is No, 24 on Symetra money list.

LPGA No. 101-150 and Symetra No. 11-30 are exempted from Stage II which Alison Lee's currently playing. Mel and Muni will play a two tournament Q-Series, which starts Wednesday October 24.

Kind of surprised re Alison Lee, pretty far drop from SC a few years ago, but as already mentioned school and injuries part of that.

Really pulling for Amy Bouldin, would love to see her over here more :wub:

Couple of UGA players there, but not doing so great. Baily Tardy is still listed as am am even thought I though she was done at school, but maybe she has one year of eligibility left - she only played two tournament this year due to injury so maybe there is a red-shirt situation going on there. Jillian Hollis also there, already a pro on Symetre Tour for a few events this year, needs to get it in gear though.

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

Is there a cut or is there still a shot to overcome 2 bad rounds with 2 great rounds?

There are no cut for Stage II; all players who finish 72 holes will receive Symetra Tour status.

However, only 15-25 players out of 195 will advance to Q-Series next week. Players who're even or worse after two rounds have a tough mountain to climb.

I thought the number was 46 and ties? There are 62 players entered into Q-series, and the field is capped at 108 I believe.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I thought the number was 46 and ties? There are 62 players entered into Q-series, and the field is capped at 108 I believe.

That’s the way I figured it, but I now see this says maximum for Q-Series is 108.

http://www.lpga.com/-/media/files/qualifying-tournament/2018/2018-q-series-faq.pdf?la=en&hash=4DE99D2C10E6958D1089CEC1CDAFA58490A7DD34

Does that mean ties get in and they go over 108, a playoff, or do a bunch who are tied get bumped and they end up with less than 108?

These are the relevant information:

1. Q: What is the field size for Q-Series? A: The maximum field will be 108 competitors.

2. Qualifying Tournament Stage II - October 13 – October 18, 2018 at Plantation Golf and Country Club, Venice, FL. Approximately the top 15-25 players and ties will advance to Q-Series.

The two statements are non-conclusive but are not mutually exclusive.

My hunch is they're expecting the exemption list to be more than 62.

Here’s the answer.

“A minimum of the top-25 players and ties will advance to Q-Series, contested from Oct. 22 through Nov. 3 in Pinehurst, N.C. at Pinehurst Resort. Those at the next score, or scores, will also advance provided that the total number of players in Q-Series does not exceed 108, which currently has 62 exempt and entered competitors. ”

http://www.lpga.com/news/2018-five-things-rd-1-second-stage-lpga-qualifying-tournament

Here’s something I didn’t know.

“The replacement for the Final Stage of the LPGA Qualifying Tournament—which was previously held annually at LPGA International in Daytona Beach, Fla.—Q-Series will provide LPGA Tour membership in Category 14 of the LPGA Priority List to a minimum of the top-45 finishers and ties. For comparison, 20 players earned LPGA status at the Final Stage in 2017. ”

http://www.symetratour.com/news/2018-exempt-players-set-for-the-inaugural-q-series

In the past, priority was

Top 20 q-school

101-125 money list

21-45 q-school

Looks like this year all 45(and ties) from the q-series will be ahead of 101-125 money

Iist.

Is the change an "incentive" for the 101st through 125th players on the money list to take a shot at Q-series? To possibly avoid dropping 20 spots on the priority list? Sure looks like it.

Is the change an "incentive" for the 101st through 125th players on the money list to take a shot at Q-series? To possibly avoid dropping 20 spots on the priority list? Sure looks like it.

I would think so.

Makes it more curious that some are still skipping the Q-series.

I wonder if they’ll eventually expand the Symetra qualifiers from top-10 to 15 or 20.

Yeah, only 10 spots coming from the feeder series is kind of lame. I'd say that any player with two or more wins should get an automatic card regardless of their position on the money list.

Coming very late to this, and I don't know how to research this question, so I'm asking the gang; I don't see Anne Van Dam on the leaderboard. Exempt to the last stage, or not bothering?

But how cool to see a Hungarian out there, and she's even doing well. Go, CsiCsi Rosza! (Obviously, I need to pay more attention to the Symetra tour.)

Coming very late to this, and I don't know how to research this question, so I'm asking the gang; I don't see Anne Van Dam on the leaderboard. Exempt to the last stage, or not bothering?

But how cool to see a Hungarian out there, and she's even doing well. Go, CsiCsi Rosza! (Obviously, I need to pay more attention to the Symetra tour.)

She’s currently +1 and 51st

I also wonder if there will be any drops outs from Stage II to the Q-series. A couple player currently in the top 25 are seniors in college (Jacklyn Lee and Kristen Gillman)and even if they qualify for the Q-series they might tap out as they have full Symetra Tour status. Depending on their schedules they might have achieved what they wanted and chasing the LPGA tour card right now might be a step to far. Cause after differing their amateur status they'd only be in the events from June till the Asian swing. I guess the decision is whether it's easier for you to play a limited schedule on the Symetra tour and try to hit the Top 10 on the tour against weaker competitive fields or hope you catch lightening in a bottle against the worlds best and hope you can keep an LPGA tour card.

I guess in the end if you came this far you might as well go for it IMO, if you can get an LPGA tour card you take it and hope you can hit a top 10 (should be enough to get you the top 100 on the money list) or string together enough good finishes to get you to the Top 100 on the money list

Stooch

Good point, as usual.

I don't know much about Jaclyn Lee, but Kristen Gillman has such a strong tie to Alabama that she most likely won't join LPGA until NCAA final is over in May 2019.

My hunch is she'll play Q-Series and goes for her LPGA card. It's such an honor for any golfers; especially to do it on the first try.

If college players get their card through the Q-Series they can finish the college season and join the LPGA on July 1st. Previously they had to declare pro before playing final stage.

So it's July 1st even less time to keep your card. This is the million dollar question, do you go to the LPGA and try to get it done with a very limited # of events you are able to play in or go to the Symetra (where if you're in this conversation you probably have a chance to win) with over half the events remaining on the schedule and try to secure a Top 10 Tour finish. I would think most girls have very strong self-belief and would go for it on the LPGA and as long as you don't miss every cut you can probably get yourself directly to the Q-series the following season.

Stooch

No, they can decide to join LPGA anytime before July 1, 2019; but they will need to forfeit the membership if they haven't joined LPGA by July 1.

: If an amateur competitor earns LPGA Tour membership, must she make a decision to turn professional at the conclusion of Q-Series to accept LPGA membership? A: No. An amateur competitor earning LPGA status may defer her acceptance of LPGA membership until July 1 the following year. If she does not accept LPGA membership by July 1, she will forfeit her qualification status and no longer be eligible for membership.

file:///C:/Users/chuan/Downloads/2018-q-series-faq%20(2).pdf

A player would have to earn ~$110,000 in a handful of tournaments to guarantee a card for the following year. That's a lot to ask from a rookie, especially one coming straight out of the college ranks.

I'd have to say that earning top 10 on the Symetra Tour would be easier.

Emma Talley earned $391k this season, but she played the full year.

A player would have to earn ~$110,000 in a handful of tournaments to guarantee a card for the following year. That's a lot to ask from a rookie, especially one coming straight out of the college ranks.

I'd have to say that earning top 10 on the Symetra Tour would be easier.

Emma Talley earned $391k this season, but she played the full year.

A bird in hand is worth two birds in the bush.

It's hard to resist being a LPGA player. There is no guarantee she'll be able to do it again.

There are nine (9) full field events after May 31st.

The official money is tallied at end of September and they only need to earn $110,000. Fall Asian Swing earnings aren't included.

The key is to qualify for both US Women's Open and Ricoh Women's British Open and play it as a LPGA member. A Top 10 at USWO is worth $110,000.

If college players get their card through the Q-Series they can finish the college season and join the LPGA on July 1st. Previously they had to declare pro before playing final stage.

I think under the old system they would have to declare at the end of final stage, not before. But I could be mis-remembering :). Brianna Do fell under that system iirc, qualified after junior year and had to decide whether to take the spot/go pro or go back to UCLA.

TS3 8.5* EvenFlow White 65s
917F3 15*  EvenFlow Black 75s
816H2 19* EvenFlow Black 85s
712MB S300 
Vokey SM6 56/60
Cameron Fastback 2

Alison is having a fine week. With 5 holes to go she's T4.

Kristen Gillman is also above the cut with 5 to play. Barely.

I think under the old system they would have to declare at the end of final stage, not before. But I could be mis-remembering :). Brianna Do fell under that system iirc, qualified after junior year and had to decide whether to take the spot/go pro or go back to UCLA.

Yea, you’re right. I was going off this article, which is wrong.

https://www.si.com/golf/2018/04/11/lpga-tour-qualifying-school-series-format-tournament-amateur