2024 PGA Championship WITB Photos ×

Lpga Q school

mallrat

I knew she would win...didn’t want to jinx anything LOL..looks to be the only player with all rounds par or better

All LH :

Driver : TM SLDR430 10.5° Fujikura Speeder 65
3-Wood : Callaway FT 15° Neutral Fujikura FitOn 160
3-Hybrid : Adams XTD Dry Proto 21° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
4-Hybrid : Adams XTD DHy Proto 24° Aldila RIP Tour HYB80
5-PW : Adams XTD Forged Aldila RIP Tour SLT115
Wedges : Titleist Vokey SM4 52° & 258.08 58° TT Dynamic Gold
Putter : Odyssey White Hot 2-Ball Blade

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Doris Chen’s (‘14 NCAA champ) mother moved her ball from OB to in play, Chen knew about it, played it anyway, and then was DQ’d.

https://golfweek.com/2018/11/03/doris-chen-dqd-from-lpga-q-series-after-hitting-ball-moved-from-ob/

Ping G410 LST 10* (DI-6X)
Ping G410 3W 15.5* (DI-7X)
Ping i20 3-PW (PX 6.0)
Ping Glide 2.0 51*SS, 56*SS, 60*ES (PX 6.0)
Ping Vault Arna

Doris Chen’s (‘14 NCAA champ) mother moved her ball from OB to in play, Chen knew about it, played it anyway, and then was DQ’d.

https://golfweek.com/2018/11/03/doris-chen-dqd-from-lpga-q-series-after-hitting-ball-moved-from-ob/

“A phone call to Chen was not immediately returned.”

I don’t think she’s calling back.

Isn't this the 3rd time in a row Laetitia Beck has earned/re-earned her card? I hooe she can stay on the LPGA this upcoming season.

It breaks my heart that Paula Reto didn't earn her card. After all her "mysterious" health issues, she still managed to play on tour this year. She made it through the season, not great results but to be out there and not embarass yourself was certainly courage exemplified.

As a former college athlete, not golf though, there isn't an ounce of loyalty from the school and the program. Coaching staffs only care about keeping their positions and getting the best recruits. I don't blame any player, especially in an individual sport, for putting their future above everything else.

Callaway BBV 10.5 Neutral w/ 44.5 inch Motore 565 speeder shaft stiff
Callaway BBV 3 Wood, 15.5 stiff, 5 Wood 19 stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 19 Hybrid stiff
Callaway X2 Hot 4-PW
Ping Glide 50 SS
Cleveland CG16 , 56
Wilson Staff Grant Park Putter

As a former college athlete, not golf though, there isn't an ounce of loyalty from the school and the program. Coaching staffs only care about keeping their positions and getting the best recruits. I don't blame any player, especially in an individual sport, for putting their future above everything else.

Amen to that. Until college coaches are held to even a fourth of the responsibilities that players are, they can shut up about loyalty, etc.

As a person who has worked in higher education but no longer. I cannot disagree. Coaches in many sports talking to professors to cut the athletes some slack with assignments, encouraging them to enroll in the bare minimum amount of credits etc. For the relative few who will make it as a professional,this is no big deal as they will likely be set-up for the rest of their lives. For everyone else, yes you may have won nationals, regionals and whatever else but you don't have a degree and didn't end up taking full advantage of the opportunity given to you.

On the flipside, I don't think college athletes should be paid but overall there needs to be more steering/accountability toward the goal of a college/university to prepare students for the workforce by graduating them prepared. Instead of paying the athletes why not set-up incentives to graduate. I don't know, for every year you play, you get 25,000 in a trust that you can draw from once you graduate or if you graduate you get graduate school paid for.

As education budgets get tighter and graduation rates more scrutinized, the whole idea of an athlete going to college to get ready to be a pro by going one or 2 years is going to go away, especially if state money is being used. This is even more of an issue for golf, where yes it's fun that your golf team won nationals but how many tickets did they sell? How much revenue did they bring in relative to expense and how many athletes graduated.

In my state, we have 3 D-1 universities. Football is king at all of them and millions are made per year in television revenue, ticket sales, merchandise licensing etc. Men and women's basketball turns a profit but nothing nearly as large. Softball and baseball do ok but make a small profit or barely break even. At one of the flagship schools, wrestling does great but for everythig else, volleyball, tennis, golf, gymnastics, swimming/diving, track&field etc the schools lose money on them. Furthermore it is only a sliver of the athletes that get a full-ride. I used to look at expense reports where I worked and it was crazy to see 30,000-40,000 spent for a 3-4 day trip for a team to go and compete somewhere 50-100 people would watch them play. Maybe not now, not in a couple of years but the concept of the student athlete is going to change.

There was a small local university that had a lot of athletes from a small South American country on the softball team. I asked one of the people in the athletic office why this was so, she said it was because there was a standout from that country a few years back and helped build a relationship. She said the Olympic Committee of said country rolled out the red carpet for the coaches when they went to recruit because it would mean their poorly funded, stretched organization wouldn't have to spend as much money on training or development if they could at least send a few to train in the states on someone else's dime. Mind you this was a private university but this happens at all kinds of universities including public ones. The way things are going, someone will catch wind and ask why this money isn't being used to fund the university's core mission. I can't say I disagree, so often students stop out because of a bursar bill of a couple thousand and this affects graduation rates. So what would you do? Spend state money on a student-athlete who really has no plans to graduate or save stop-out students who can help your graduation rate and increase your state granted funds. Lots of corruption, bribes and cover ups in college athletics. Crazy some coaches suddenly feel betrayed.

Congrats to Jeongeun! It is neat she won since she went the harder route to get her card. I thought she was Lucky 6, but now she's Hot 6? I can't keep up...

Can't wait to see what the future brings from this. Kind of feel like, except for Jeongeun, not a huge impact, because the existing field is just so packed with killer talent now, but we'll see. Some of the other names near the top I honestly don't know, so who knows.

The amateur success is really cool.

It is tough seeing a lot of the names not quite make it. Sympathies to them and their fans.

I hope the returning players who got a new lease on life might see some improvement and find themselves again. Alison is the most talked about one, and I have to admit she did far better than I'd expected. So that's a nice sign. Xiyu and Jing were the two I was really hoping for. So glad they made it, and pretty safely too; hope they get back to form now.

Well, gonna be interesting to see what kind of splash Muni makes now, could be her big break; hopefully more than marketing...

It'll be interesting to see if Lucky 6 takes membership. Right now it seems she is on the fence.

Ping G425 Max Driver 12 (0 Flat) - Aldila Ascent Red 50 Stiff (46")
TaylorMade AeroBurner Mini Driver 16 - Matrix Speed RUL-Z 60 Stiff
Ping G410 7wd 20.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (43")
Ping G410 9wd 23.5 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 65 Stiff (42.5")
Ping G425 6h 30 (0 Flat) - Alta CB 70 Stiff
PXG 0311P Gen3 6-P (2 Deg Weak, 1 Deg Flat) - True Temper Elevate 95 S /

Ping i200 6-P Orange Dot (2 Deg Weak, 2 Deg Flat) - True Temper XP 95 S
Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge
PXG Blackjack 36" - SuperStroker Flatso 2.0

College athlete at what school, what sport, what coach?

A little context before damning every college coach everywhere in every sport.

How difficult is it to print Jeong Eun?

Definitely a tough call for the young women. Having completed 3 1/2 years towards a degree, I can't see walking away from it. Robyn Choi made a good point in that she'll have to find out exactly how many events she'd likely play in the Spring before making a final decision.

Ping Glide 4.0 52-12 S, 56-10 Eye2, and 60-10 S Orange Dot (2 Deg Flat) - Ping Z-Z115 Wedge

I wonder if the Tide coach knew Gillman's and Stephenson decision before the comments at East Lake or did the comments make the decision for them, there's goes the Tide chances at a National Championship this year

I thought I had read that their decisions had been made to join the tour if they earned their cards.

Yeah, Alabama looked outclassed at the East Lake Cup. In stroke play they were +24, whereas Stanford was 2 under.

I wonder if the Tide coach knew Gillman's and Stephenson decision before the comments at East Lake or did the comments make the decision for them, there's goes the Tide chances at a National Championship this year

I thought I had read that their decisions had been made to join the tour if they earned their cards.

Yeah, Alabama looked outclassed at the East Lake Cup. In stroke play they were +24, whereas Stanford was 2 under.

If I was a betting man (which I am lol) I say Jaclyn Lee turns pro too. She said she's still gotta think about it, but she only has 1 credit this semester that she needs to graduate and no offense to Ohio State they're team is pretty weak and it's Jaclyn posting low scores that gets them any success or the placement to get them to the Championship. Jaclyn carried Ohio State all last year and she's already won an individual champion at an event this fall, she couldn't carry the team to success in the event though. So I guess the pressure will be to stay for the good of the team but if she stays it will be for individual success and she can get that on the LPGA, Jaclyn can't do anything to help the team have success they are just overall too weak.

I have a few thoughts I wanted to get out while my brain is firing:

• The window to play professional golf at the highest level is only open for so long. Strike while the iron is hot.
  • Should golfers like Lexi Thompson, Lydia Ko, or Brooke Henderson have waited to play professionally? (My answer: No)
  • Colleges and universities are going to be there after the window closes for a lot of these golfers.
  • I am 100% with Jessica Korda on the idea that the US needs a national team and developmental system. Her perspective is especially interesting because she, her sister Nelly, and her brother (pro tennis player) all came up through the IMG Academy.
  • The existence of the cartel called the NCAA makes this very difficult in all sports because the idea of treating these athletes/entertainers like professionals would mean some of the profits might have to be split to pay the talent.