Course info in HH area

dj6627

If having the choice of one of the following for a late afternoon round which would you choose? Prices are all about the same anyway. If it helps we are just a 2-some and are both low single digit hc and length off the tee isn't an issue.

Heron Point

Hilton Head National

Palmetto Dunes RTJ

The following day we are playing HT and Atlantic. Then driving up to Kiawah and playing Ocean, Osprey in the same day. Followed the next morning by Cougar (Ocean again instead of Cougar if a tee time opens up).

I live in Hilton Head and have played every course here, both public and private.

From your list. I would play those courses exactly how you have them listed: Heron Point, HH National, and then Dunes RTJ.

There are other posts here on WRX regarding Hilton Head where I have given reviews on pretty much every course here and in the general area. If people do a search I'm sure it can be found.

If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer them.

When you come visit, have fun and hit 'em straight!

> @T-MAC said:

> I live in Hilton Head and have played every course here, both public and private.

> From your list. I would play those courses exactly how you have them listed: Heron Point, HH National, and then Dunes RTJ.

> There are other posts here on WRX regarding Hilton Head where I have given reviews on pretty much every course here and in the general area. If people do a search I'm sure it can be found.

> If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer them.

> When you come visit, have fun and hit 'em straight

Thanks for the feedback T-Mac and when I have more time I will do some more searches past posts. As such Heron Point will be our first course. I believe when we are down in HH the week of 10/22 the Sea Pines courses will still be recovering from overseeding. Greens fees will be discounted and figure it shouldn't take much of anything away from enjoying the the courses for our 1st time.

> @sodak77 said:

> > @T-MAC said:

> > I live in Hilton Head and have played every course here, both public and private.

> > From your list. I would play those courses exactly how you have them listed: Heron Point, HH National, and then Dunes RTJ.

> > There are other posts here on WRX regarding Hilton Head where I have given reviews on pretty much every course here and in the general area. If people do a search I'm sure it can be found.

> > If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer them.

> > When you come visit, have fun and hit 'em straight

> Thanks for the feedback T-Mac and when I have more time I will do some more searches past posts. As such Heron Point will be our first course. I believe when we are down in HH the week of 10/22 the Sea Pines courses will still be recovering from overseeding. Greens fees will be discounted and figure it shouldn't take much of anything away from enjoying the the courses for our 1st time.

>

Actually, THAT would be something to consider when you are here in October because a lot of courses punch and/or overseed then. Whenever you call to make a tee time, just ask them if they have done so yet and ask what condition the course is in. Most Pro Shops here are very honest and will tell you exactly what the conditions are.

For example, I really like Heron but I would probably play HH National over Heron if Heron had punched but HHN hadn't done so yet.

> @T-MAC said:

> > @sodak77 said:

> > > @T-MAC said:

> > > I live in Hilton Head and have played every course here, both public and private.

> > > From your list. I would play those courses exactly how you have them listed: Heron Point, HH National, and then Dunes RTJ.

> > > There are other posts here on WRX regarding Hilton Head where I have given reviews on pretty much every course here and in the general area. If people do a search I'm sure it can be found.

> > > If anyone has any questions I will do my best to answer them.

> > > When you come visit, have fun and hit 'em straight

> > Thanks for the feedback T-Mac and when I have more time I will do some more searches past posts. As such Heron Point will be our first course. I believe when we are down in HH the week of 10/22 the Sea Pines courses will still be recovering from overseeding. Greens fees will be discounted and figure it shouldn't take much of anything away from enjoying the the courses for our 1st time.

> >

>

> Actually, THAT would be something to consider when you are here in October because a lot of courses punch and/or overseed then. Whenever you call to make a tee time, just ask them if they have done so yet and ask what condition the course is in. Most Pro Shops here are very honest and will tell you exactly what the conditions are.

> For example, I really like Heron but I would probably play HH National over Heron if Heron had punched but HHN hadn't done so yet.

I do like the order of the list too. Seeding is a good consideration. It's been reported that HHN is waiting until Nov . (Nothing more fun than putting in the morning dew, or a watered down green watching your ball collect the seeds as it rolls.) And if it's windy, I'd also take HHN over Heron Point or RTJ due to the latter's "close proximity" to the water. And in the afternoon, you get the sea breeze. HHN is a bit more sheltered and inland (off island). and tree-lined.

Ping 430Max 10k / Callaway UW 17 & 21 / Srixon ZX5 Irons (5-AW) / Vokey SM8 56* & 60*, Callaway, 64*

> @wickwoss said:

> @HackerDave

> Awesome, I will check those out as well.

>

> Any opinion on Dolphin Head? One of the guys in the group has suggested it, but doesn't have any experience there.

I know I'm not the person you were asking but I did play Dolphin Head in the summer and really liked it. I agree that Oyster is better but you can get on Dolphin Head cheaper and it was in nice shape in the summer and I enjoyed the layout. I wouldn't say it's anything special but an enjoyable round of golf at a good rate.

Something else to think about. If they are overseeding at Sea Pines, I would suggest walking. Otherwise its cart path only and that gets old fast. Not a lot of long walks between holes and its really an easy walk. I would rank Jones and HP over HHN, but thats more of a personal thing. Jones is right down the street from our place and the service at Sea Pines is really good. HHN is a great track and honestly, you will enjoy all of them.

> @Imp said:

> How you getting on Chechessee Creek? I was hopeful to get on to Secession (through a member here on this forum, for a tourney spot invitation) but then Matthew hit. Hilton Head National is always a must play when I'm there and I'll play one of the three Sea Pines courses in rotation, which this year is Harbor Town. (I'm there for a couple weeks mid-Oct, so if anyone wants to join, I'm a single, as my wife does other stuff when I play, like beach, dogs, beach... dogs.)

>

> I'm looking forward to putting my Club Corp membership to use when I'm down there too, maybe actually play Haig Point. Thanks for the heads up.

>

> --kC

Ha - I wish I was playing Chechessee Creek. Be sure to leave a post on your trip and if you get out to Haig Point.

brief review of our weekend in (on) Hilton Head:

our first stop was HHN and it was a pleasure to play, course is in great condition. landscape reveals wonderful views. the layout is playable at many handicap levels. course staff very friendly and outgoing. we were teamed with a pair from Chattanooga that were engaging and great fun as partners. this venue is highly recommended.

RTJ Palmetto Dunes was a very fine experience. we rode but this is a great walking course. great conditions, again the staff was friendly and engaging. there are multiple tee locations so that all levels of players are accommodated. we had lunch at the restaurant here, they have a good menu and the fish tacos were darn good. this course is highly recommended.

afternoon game at Harbour Town was interesting. we had friendly and very capable caddies. this is also a walkers course.

there are some neat signature holes. the green complex on number 13 with the semi circle shaped bunker and elevated green looks just awesome in person, and I parred it from the right side of that trap with an old a** Wilson SW. the course lays out well and is in excellent condition. they have a most fine main clubhouse with a - of all things - croquet course adjacent. staff is friendly and engaging. the halfway house makes a great tuna sandwich.

everyone we met, from courses to restaurant to hotel staff was friendly. maybe it's built in and it helps that we approach folks in the same manner.

it was a great weekend.

currently playing:
FT-5 - D
Cally FT hybrids
Hogan Edge GS, 4-PW
Vokey Oil Can 52, 56
Ping Anser 2

TM FlexTech Lite/Titleist StaDry

> @"@_the_crook" said:

> brief review of our weekend in (on) Hilton Head:

> our first stop was HHN and it was a pleasure to play, course is in great condition. landscape reveals wonderful views. the layout is playable at many handicap levels. course staff very friendly and outgoing. we were teamed with a pair from Chattanooga that were engaging and great fun as partners. this venue is highly recommended.

>

> RTJ Palmetto Dunes was a very fine experience. we rode but this is a great walking course. great conditions, again the staff was friendly and engaging. there are multiple tee locations so that all levels of players are accommodated. we had lunch at the restaurant here, they have a good menu and the fish tacos were darn good. this course is highly recommended.

>

> afternoon game at Harbour Town was interesting. we had friendly and very capable caddies. this is also a walkers course.

> there are some neat signature holes. the green complex on number 13 with the semi circle shaped bunker and elevated green looks just awesome in person, and I parred it from the right side of that trap with an old a** Wilson SW. the course lays out well and is in excellent condition. they have a most fine main clubhouse with a - of all things - croquet course adjacent. staff is friendly and engaging. the halfway house makes a great tuna sandwich.

> everyone we met, from courses to restaurant to hotel staff was friendly. maybe it's built in and it helps that we approach folks in the same manner.

> it was a great weekend.

>

>

>

>

Thanks for the update. I'm headed down next week for our annual golf trip and HHN and RTJ are on our schedule. Not surprised because I've never had a bad experience at either course but good to know they're in great shape.

• 2 weeks later...

I have time for one morning round with the buddies during our "couples weekend" (granted none of us are married and all mid twenties ;) )

With that being said, I wanted to follow up on your recent experience at HHN and RTJ. I want to make sure we are playing a course that is in great shape! Our day to play is Saturday Oct 19 and from the looks of this thread HHN seems to be like our best shot -waiting til Nov for re-seeding etc. When i looked online RTJ wasn't offering morning tee times but maybe a call to the pro shop would prove beneficial. Let me know if there is a certain "Must Play" for a guy who has one morning to capture his moment of golf bliss! Thanks all.

As I posted before, there will be four of us staying on Hilton Head Island Fri-Mon mid-October looking to play one round together during the trip. Saturday 10/19 is our day that we are trying to make golf work.

Disclaimer: The ladies will be back at the house waiting for us to get home from golf ;) Although house is on the beach with plenty for them to do. (is what i keep telling myself)

Original idea was for us guys to play first thing in the AM at a course somewhat nearby on the island. Boys get our golf in and back in time to enjoy much of Saturday with the ladies.

HOWEVER,

I had my local club pro make some calls and he presented an opportunity for us to play Haig Point @ 12:20. As a backup, we also were able to get a tee time for 2:30 at Heron Point.

SO,

With all that said, I wanted to use this board as a resource to lean on before making our playing plans permanent.

-Does anyone have experience traveling (ferry) from HHI to Daufuski island? is it an hour both ways or closer to 30 mins? My local pro told me we will need to take the 10:30 ferry to the island and need to arrive around 10:00 to get our ferry passes and get settled. -so basically if we want to play Haig Point we will be gone virtually all day....

-Is Haig Point a track that I don't want to miss out on? In other words, is it a course that is worth the earful we will get from the women for being gone for a whole day during a shortened couples trip? (lol)

-Anybody know if Heron Point has over-seeded or plans to over-seed leading up to 10/19? I wouldn't want to skip on Haig if Heron Point isn't playing well at that time.

All insight and feeback is encouraged and appreciated. Thank you!

Mandatory - I looked into this as well. Haig is overseeding 10/21-29 so you're just in time, but I think your group should play Haig and bring the ladies with to the island. They get the ferry rides and there are some things to do on the island, a few restaurants, a neat art gallery, etc while you guys golf. There might be kayak tours over there as well if they were interested in that.

I'd google things to do on the island, the ferry times and options, and you will probably need to rent golf carts to get around. I would definitely plan on making it an all day trip.

I would call Heron Point for an overseed schedule. Maybe they will not have started yet or perhaps they will be coming out of it which would probably mean cart path only.

Bottomline: go play Haig so you can tell me how great it was so I can play it next time! Jealous!

Just wanted to add a bit to the thread. My brother and law and I just got back from a five day stay at my place in Fiddler’s Cove in Folly Field. We went to do a little work to the condo and a lot of golf. We were there from 10/5-10/9. Our golf consisted of the following.

Our original plan was a mix of economy golf as we had some golfnow hot deal codes to use and the twilight special at sea pines (heron and atl dunes for $199). The cheaper golf was scheduled for Port Royal courses (Barony and Robbers Row). Also had Monday schedule for a trip to Townsend, GA to play all day at Sapelo Hammock.

Saturday: Originally scheduled for Atlantic Dunes but rain on the island made us have to cancel and reschedule for Tuesday. Decided to go in land and play Hilton Head Lakes about 35 minutes north of HH. Course handled the rain well and was even 90° rule. Greens were solid and the course layout was good. It is a bit more wide open which made it a good course to start on. Recommended if you want to play a nice course for a good price (~ $40)

Sunday- Heron Point.

Course was condition was exactly what you would expect from a place in Sea Pines. Target golf at its best. Since it was my first time playing the course and I expected it to play tight, I played the white tees. My typical length with driver is 240-250 range but I’m a bit wild at times so I wanted to enjoy the round. Was able to tee off with my 2 hybrid most of the round and may have hit 4-5 drivers. Really enjoyed the course even though it was path only.

The one negative however ruined the last five to six holes. Around hole 11 the group in front of us turned back after a small rain shower. We wondered why they were turning back as the rain was very light after an initial 5 minute down pour. We soon figured out why they quit. Starting on hole 13 we were waiting over 5 minutes per shot. At that point a foursome (2 older couples) allowed the twosome in front of us play through them as request by a marshall we assume since we saw him drive off. The rest of the round we waited on them every shot. At one time we could see four other groups within 200 yards of us. One in front and three behind. We ended up playing the round in four hours and forty minutes and assumed the foursome was over five hours based on the group that quit and one group allowed to play through. The biggest problem I had was that the marshall knew they were slow but never came back by. To only see a marshall one time on a course like that is mind boggling.

Packaged with Atl Dunes for $199 I might play it again but I couldn’t see paying the full $160 to play it.

Monday: Sapelo Hammock

If you are in HH on a Monday it is well worth the hour and a half drive to get your value golf in. $25 for all day play. The course is a fun layout with some spectacular marsh views on holes 8, 9, 17 (island green par 3), and 18. Greens roll true but were slow due to rain and playing Heron Point the day before. Course was well maintained as far as grass and bunkers were concerned. It is not weed free but I’ve payed 3x as much on island to play courses in far worse shape. Holes 15-18 is as good of a finish as I’ve played on a course. Fairly tight course that’s not too long and it still allowed me to hit driver most of the day. We played 36 holes and felt like we had the course to ourselves. It was our 2nd most enjoyable day of the trip.

Tuesday AM: Atlantic Dunes

Was given an opportunity to move our tee time up (8:15 from 12:20) after complaining about the pace of play on Sunday. A nice gesture that they didn’t have to do. Wasn’t looking for anything but just venting a bit about the lack of a marshall. This allowed us to keep an afternoon tee time we already had at the Barony at Port Royal.

Atlantic Dunes was our favorite course on the trip. Conditions were pristine and the course was more challenging and versatile than Heron Point in my opinion. Was a bit more spacious but not wide open. I had more opportunity to hit driver but was presented more options or risk/reward type shots. We were paired with a third and played in front of three senior ladies. I’m pretty sure the pro in the shop knew what he was doing when he changed our times as we were pushed all day. I thought it was pretty funny and it didn’t take away from the round but we joked about it all day. Finished it in a little more than 3 hours. I think it normally runs $175 for Atlantic Dunes. I do think it is the better of the two courses but if I play again, it would have to be the deal for both courses.

Tuesday PM: Port Royal GC Barony course.

After lunch and a fun round at Atl Dunes, I was hoping for a good experience at Port Royal. It was my first time to play there but with our condo basically right next door I have gone to practice on their range and chipping and putting greens several times. The course typically looks good from the road as well so I had some decent expectations but nothing similar to Sea Pines. Before we started the starter went through his normal stuff about rules, bathrooms, etc. Told us where water/ice was before we started and that there were stops on course with cups and ice/water as well. Went to the machine next to the clubhouse and there were no cups. I take a yeti so I filled up but my brother in law decided he’d just wait.

We get to the first tee and felt like we were teeing it up in semi rough. Fairways were actually a decent height but the rough was very high but inconsistent (some places were extremely thick and others were almost bare). Greens were not good at all. They were extremely slow compared to everywhere we had played, not just Sea Pines. Some greens actually had two different types of bermuda grasses on them. Not just small spots but like 50/50 split. Vey bizarre. Get to the first bathroom/water station, no cups. Play a few more holes and we play two greens that are smaller than a lot of temporary greens I’ve played. On #8 I hit a drive in water that I had no idea was one the hole. Nothing marked denoting a water hazard but when I get to the area and see the water it is painted red. It shouldn’t be too difficult to put 3-4 red stakes out so you know it’s there. Nope, nothing. It was so bad we decided to call it a day. We were supposed to play Robbers Row on Wednesday but cancelled it, expecting similar conditions to Barony.

Overall it was a fun trip but hated that Port Royal was so poorly conditioned. I wanted it to be nice since it is so close to our place. We only paid $22 for the hot deal on Golfnow so it wasn’t a big deal to quit after 9 but I would have been disgusted to pay their full rate of $125. I don’t think I would even consider it at $22 again. If I had to list courses I have played based on value, conditions, and playability it would be as follows.

1. Atlantic Dunes

2. HH National

3. Sapelo Hammock (only because its 1 1/2 hours away)

4. Oyster Reef

5a. Savannah Harbor (would be 5 alone if not 45 minutes away)

5b. Heron Point

6. Old South

7. HH Lakes

8. Palmetto Hall (either course if you can play for $50 or less)

9. CC of HH

10. Bear Creek

11. Crescent Point

12. Port Royal

Courses yet to play and on my to do list

Harbour Town

May River

Palmetto Dunes

Shipyard

Dolphin Head

• 3 weeks later...

Got in three rounds on my recent trip. HH National, Palmetto Hall - Hills course, and CC of Hilton Head. HHN was my favorite. Enjoyed it as much as I thought I would. Really enjoyed the pure golf experience with no housing. HHN also had very friendly service.

Hall was solid and CCHH had the best greens. Also the quickest. Pace of play was under four hours at all three places. Got paired up with very friendly guys each time. Weather was awesome.

CCHH's front nine is pretty tight so you have to be accurate off the tee. Lots of water and doglegs. Good sand in the bunkers. The back nine was easier, more enjoyable, and more scenic.

Interesting how the ball doesn't fly as far down there in the heavy air. Courses play long down there, especially in the morning.

> @BirdieRoll said:

> Got in three rounds on my recent trip. HH National, Palmetto Hall - Hills course, and CC of Hilton Head. HHN was my favorite. Enjoyed it as much as I thought I would. Really enjoyed the pure golf experience with no housing. HHN also had very friendly service.

>

> Hall was solid and CCHH had the best greens. Also the quickest. Pace of play was under four hours at all three places. Got paired up with very friendly guys each time. Weather was awesome.

>

> CCHH's front nine is pretty tight so you have to be accurate off the tee. Lots of water and doglegs.** Good sand in the bunkers.** The back nine was easier, more enjoyable, and more scenic.

>

> Interesting how the ball doesn't fly as far down there in the heavy air. Courses play long down there, especially in the morning

When we played CCHH earlier in October we had a heavy rain and had to stop for about 45 min due to standing water on the greens. After the rain you would have never know how hard it had rained by the way the bunkers played. Not even exaggerating but in my opinion their bunkers are second to none and I've been luck to play some real higher end courses in recent years.

> @BirdieRoll said:

> Got in three rounds on my recent trip. HH National, Palmetto Hall - Hills course, and CC of Hilton Head. HHN was my favorite. Enjoyed it as much as I thought I would. Really enjoyed the pure golf experience with no housing. HHN also had very friendly service.

>

> Hall was solid and CCHH had the best greens. Also the quickest. Pace of play was under four hours at all three places. Got paired up with very friendly guys each time. Weather was awesome.

>

>** CCHH's front nine is pretty tight so you have to be accurate off the tee. **Lots of water and doglegs. Good sand in the bunkers. The back nine was easier, more enjoyable, and more scenic.

>

> Interesting how the ball doesn't fly as far down there in the heavy air. Courses play long down there, especially in the morning.

Straight up. Didn't pull my driver out once on the front.

> @Cincy_Ken said:

> > @BirdieRoll said:

> > Got in three rounds on my recent trip. HH National, Palmetto Hall - Hills course, and CC of Hilton Head. HHN was my favorite. Enjoyed it as much as I thought I would. Really enjoyed the pure golf experience with no housing. HHN also had very friendly service.

> >

> > Hall was solid and CCHH had the best greens. Also the quickest. Pace of play was under four hours at all three places. Got paired up with very friendly guys each time. Weather was awesome.

> >

> > CCHH's front nine is pretty tight so you have to be accurate off the tee. Lots of water and doglegs.** Good sand in the bunkers.** The back nine was easier, more enjoyable, and more scenic.

> >

> > Interesting how the ball doesn't fly as far down there in the heavy air. Courses play long down there, especially in the morning

>

> When we played CCHH earlier in October we had a heavy rain and had to stop for about 45 min due to standing water on the greens. After the rain you would have never know how hard it had rained by the way the bunkers played. Not even exaggerating but in my opinion their bunkers are second to none and I've been luck to play some real higher end courses in recent years.

They recently redid their bunkering - all new Billy Bunkers.

• 3 weeks later...

Headed down to Sea Pines Resort for my bachelor party over President's Day Weekend in February. If my group was going to play one more course (in addition to Atlantic Dunes, Heron Point, and Harbour Town) what should it be? Could also be on the way to Savannah.

Also, should we do Heron Point or Atlantic Dunes as the first course of the trip? Which one would be a better "warm up" for the rest of the trip? (Plan right now is Dunes Fri, Harbour Town Sat, Heron Sunday, and one more on Monday). Thanks

STEALTH 2 Tour AD DI 6X //  SIM Oban Devotion 65-04 //  699 v2 MMT105s //  JB Full Groove MMT105w //  TOULON ATLANTA //  Vice Pro+

I have never played Sea Pines CC. I played Heron Point with some members and actually received a membership packet as we are interested in establishing some kind of membership down there. I can say in all the years I have been down there (going on 25 years now) I have NEVER spoken to anybody who has played there. Kind of weird.