WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Obee

3 hours ago, dmecca2 said:

Experience and doing it over and over. I couldn't tell you how many times I was under par coming down the stretch and finished bogey, double, double, blah blah blah. After you do it enough, the nerves get less and less. I've tried the, "let's see how low I can go" technique, and in my opinion, it's a cheap mental trick that doesn't work most of the time. I've started watching pros to see what they do when they reach a good score, and i've seen that it's no different from an even par round. They've been there and failed just as much as they've succeeded at finishing, that it just turns into another round no matter what they shoot.

So in the end, my advice is to go out there and fail. Don't be afraid of failure, because it will happen. Eventually, you will succeed. And you can look back and remember the times that you've succeeded and draw confidence from them.

I think that's a fair critique.  You can trick yourself occasionally into a low round with self talk and I have seen it work (personally and with others).  Doing it a lot will get you comfortable.  One common trick to start the process is to play the forward tees at your course. Theoretically you'll be under par and learn that this is a normal spot to be in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CMCSGolf said:

I think that's a fair critique.  You can trick yourself occasionally into a low round with self talk and I have seen it work (personally and with others).  Doing it a lot will get you comfortable.  One common trick to start the process is to play the forward tees at your course. Theoretically you'll be under par and learn that this is a normal spot to be in.

Ya it can occasionally work, but I would argue in those circumstances you would've played well anyway. The forward tees trick is good as well. Teaches you that a number is only a number.

16 minutes ago, dmecca2 said:

Ya it can occasionally work, but I would argue in those circumstances you would've played well anyway. The forward tees trick is good as well. Teaches you that a number is only a number.

Playing forward also applies some "should birdie" pressure. I feel that playing my current home course (CR is abysmal at 67.6 - must make 4 birdies minimum to shoot scratch). You guys would get it even more.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Played in my state senior am this past weekend, just couldn't get any consistency going.  First day made 2 really stupid doubles, short sided myself by hitting trees on the approaches, then poor pitches, threw away two shots right there, also two 3 putts, 35 putts total, not very good, ended up at +7, 78.  Day 2 went off the back 9 and started solid, had 10-12 footers for birdie on the first two holes, which I missed, had 2 three putts soon after and turned in + 2.  I figured I needed to shoot probably +3 on the day to just make the cut.  Finally made a birdie on our 10th hole, settled down a bit, hit a few good shots, and scrambled well when I didn't, as I did make a couple of great up and downs on my 15th and 17th holes.   Got to 18 +9 total, and it is a fairly easy par 5 so I felt I should at least make the cut.  Even still almost screwed that up, drove it way right off the tee (strong left to right wind), hit over some trees then into the left rough on the second, and sort of a flier wedge on third.  Left myself a 50 footer for birdie that I would have had to putt through the fringe to get near the hole.  I said just take your medicine and keep it on the green,, 6 feet left pin high would be OK.  So what did I do? I blew it 15 feet past, then holded the longest putt I made the entire tournament for par.....

Day 3 was sort of like the first day in reverse, started on the back and couldn't get it going, 2 poor bogies from the just off the fringe to start, a couple more bad short sided approaches,  a three putt and a misjudged wedge into the wind on a par 5 and a slick 42....  3 putt on 10 for another bogey, then 7 straight pars and then the only birdie on the day to finish for even par on the back, 77 total.

Conditions were pretty windy, it was in Amarillo after all.  Rough was pretty thick, not US open thick but I did lose 2 balls in the rough in the practice round.  Greens were bent grass and pretty good, I was very disappointed in how I putted though...35 putts on day 1 and 3.   Overall, really not that terrible for me, I did not come in feeling like I was swinging or putting very well, and hadn't for several weeks.   But some good players didn't made the cut, but the usual suspects for Texas were at the top of the leaderboard, the guy who won, this is his 3rd in 6 years, another former champion was 2nd, last year's champion tied for third....

I will add this note about last year's winner, and just a reminder about marking your ball.   I played with the defending champion in round 2, he was leading after round one after a 67.  He shot even on the first 9 and was still in the lead.  On our 10th hole (#1), he and another guy drove it on the same line about 10 yards apart, one in the fairway and one in the rough.  They didn't look close enough and ended up playing each others ball.  The caught the mistake on the green, but of course had to go back and replay from where their balls were.   The leader then pushed a wedge into the short sided bunker into a horrible lie, he couldn't even advance it towards the hole, had to try to go sideways.  He didn't even get it out of the sand.  He did get the next one out to about 10 feet then holed that for a triple bogey.  He ended up losing the tournament by 3........   The moral of the story of course is to check your ball and mark it well.   I must say he and the other guy (he finished 10th overall)  took it pretty well, both were class acts. 

Edited by Mike_C
  • Like 3

WITB
Srixon ZX5 LS 9.0, HZRDUS Black 60 6.0
Ping G425 LST 3 wood, Tensei Orange

Titleist TSR2 5 wood C1 setting, Tensei 1K Black 75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

• 1 month later...
20 minutes ago, Obee said:

Ojai Senior Cup was last weekend. Wonderful 54-hole senior (55+) event at Soule Park Golf Course in Ojai, California.

Can't say enough about the tournament, the set up, or the field. Elite players. Course set up quite differently every day. Just a blast.

Pleased with my finish against some world-class senior ams, most of whom were former D-I players and/or pros. 

Results: 

https://2023ojaiseniorcup.golfgenius.com/pages/4032223

Tournament website:

https://www.ojaiseniorcup.com/

Very nice. Solid play. It blows me away that Soule Park hosts such nice events now. I don't think we ever played there after the renovation. Played it fairly often before though. Always an interesting drive to Ojai with the winding road and crude oil seeping out of the hills.

• Like 1

On 8/22/2023 at 5:37 AM, dmecca2 said:

Qualified for my first USGA event yesterday! The USGA four-ball at Philly Cricket Club next May. We made some putts early and played solid golf on the tougher back 9, but bogeyed the 230 yard par 3 16th hole. Checked the scores and saw that we needed to finish birdie birdie to make it, but my partner hit an awesome shot on the par 5 17th to 6 feet and drained the eagle to tie the lead. Had to wait 4 hours for the scores to post, but the number held and we made it without a playoff.

Have been working more hours than ever the last six months. Hardly posting. WELL DONE, SIR!!!

My buddy, Paul Rice (59), and his buddy and partner, Brent Peeke (43?) qualified! They will likely be the oldest team, BY FAR in the field. Say hello to them if you see them!

• Like 2

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• 3 months later...
On 10/28/2023 at 8:05 AM, Obee said:

Ojai Senior Cup was last weekend. Wonderful 54-hole senior (55+) event at Soule Park Golf Course in Ojai, California.

Can't say enough about the tournament, the set up, or the field. Elite players. Course set up quite differently every day. Just a blast.

Pleased with my finish against some world-class senior ams, most of whom were former D-I players and/or pros. 

Results: 

https://2023ojaiseniorcup.golfgenius.com/pages/4032223

Tournament website:

https://www.ojaiseniorcup.com/

Hi Obee, hope you’re doing well! 

I’ve recently moved back to LA area and was wondering if you had a link available to your amazing tournament spreadsheet? 

Looking forward to seeing you out there this year! 

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/7/2024 at 7:06 PM, Pepe8714 said:

Hi Obee, hope you’re doing well! 

I’ve recently moved back to LA area and was wondering if you had a link available to your amazing tournament spreadsheet? 

Looking forward to seeing you out there this year! 

Hey there! Just saw this. Drop me a PM with your email address and I will send it along. 🙂

• 3 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, bilbry57 said:

Saw you finished 3rd in open division congrats.  Scores were high both divisions conditions must have been tough

That was last year. This year was ... not good .... 😞

• Like 1

First event of the year coming up this weekend, regional mid-am event here in Texas. 84 players, no cut, guaranteed 3 tournament rounds. Haven't been playing at all really until this last week and saw some positive signs. Should be interesting and looking forward to competing again.

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Titleist 917F3 15* VA Composite Drago 75-X (Ai Smoke TD otw)
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

Played solid golf on Friday. T-6 with an even par 72, but there were 8 of us at that number, so they card off. 😞

i shot 38 on the back (my front!) so I am 2nd alternate. 

https://www.golfgenius.com/pages/4539095

• Like 4

• 5 weeks later...

Well ... it's tournament season. Have played a couple already, but have been so busy with work I haven't even been posting.

This coming weekend is The Kelly Cup at Lakeside GC in Toluca Lake (15 minutes from Downtown Los Angeles) and home club to guys like Vinnie Jones, Joe Pesci, Andy Garcia, Justin Timberlake, Alfonso Ribeiro, and a bunch of others. It's my favorite weekend of the year, as the course is always pristine, challenging, and fun -- and they treat us all like members when we're there. It's just an amazing weekend that I wish everyone had the chance to experience.

Check out these indexes playing. I'm in the Senior Flight now and my LI is only +0.8, so I won't be contending in the overall flight of mid-ams and seniors (we all play the same tees). There was a time when my index was among the lowest in the field (+3.8, I think, was my low), and I had a chance to finish well. My best finish ever was a 5th place, but those days are long gone. I'll be pleased to get a top 5 in the 14-man Senior Flight, as I'm playing against some absolute BEASTS in that flight (Tim Hogarth and Mark Strickland among them).

Look at these indexes at the top. Wow. This is a flighted tournament of 30+ year olds with a Championship flight of 24 players, a Senior flight of 16, and then 9 other flights of varying indexes. The 2nd flight has all guys that are 0.x and below. The 9th flight is guys up to a 12 index, I believe. Always so, so much fun. Will post pics. Below the indexes is me playing a few years back with none other than "Carlton" in the Derby.

Handle  H.I. 
  +6.6
  +5.2
  +5.2
  +4.8
  +4.6
  +4.3
  +4.1
  +4.0
  +4.0
  +3.8
  +3.8
  +3.5
  +3.3
  +3.2
  +2.9
  +2.9
  +2.9
  +2.5
  +2.2
  +2.2
  +2.1
  +2.0
  +1.9
  +1.9
  +1.9
  +1.7
  +1.7
  +1.7
  +1.6
  +1.4
  +1.3
  +1.3
  +1.3
  +1.2
  +1.2
  +1.2
  +1.2
  +1.2
  +1.2
  +1.2
  +1.2
  +1.1
  +0.9
  +0.9
  +0.9
  +0.8
  +0.8
  +0.7
  +0.7
  +0.6
  +0.5
  +0.5
  +0.4
  +0.4
  +0.4
  +0.4
  +0.4
  +0.3
  +0.3
  +0.3
  +0.3
  +0.2
  +0.2
  +0.2

• Like 2

I played in the Texas North Senior a few weeks ago, did not do that great.   We had a torrential downpour the night before as a front came through, temperatures went from 80+ to about 55-60, but the winds blew hard after that from the north, 20-30 MPH with gusts to 40 MPH. Welcome to Texas in the spring.  The rain soaked the course and shut down the driving range. So, no warm up and cold temperatures, bumpy greens, and howling winds, just perfect to shoot an 81 on the first day with 37 putts (4 three putts).

Day 2 was better , as the winds were 10-15 mph and it was a bit warmer, but overall not what I wanted, 75 with 2 three putts , missed the top 15 by a shot, so now I have to go through local qualifying for the State Senior.   

WITB

Srixon-Z Star XV

Just now, Mike_C said:

I played in the Texas North Senior a few weeks ago, did not do that great.   We had a torrential downpour the night before as a front came through, temperatures went from 80+ to about 55-60, but the winds blew hard after that from the north, 20-30 MPH with gusts to 40 MPH. Welcome to Texas in the spring.  The rain soaked the course and shut down the driving range. So, no warm up and cold temperatures, bumpy greens, and howling winds, just perfect to shoot an 81 on the first day with 37 putts (4 three putts).

Day 2 was better , as the winds were 10-15 mph and it was a bit warmer, but overall not what I wanted, 75 with 2 three putts , missed the top 15 by a shot, so now I have to go through local qualifying for the State Senior.   

Weather has been CRAZY this year, man! Sorry you didn't score your best, darn it...

12 minutes ago, Obee said:

Weather has been CRAZY this year, man! Sorry you didn't score your best, darn it...

It has been pretty wild at times.  We had 9+ inches of rain in 2 days here in East Texas a week or so ago.  I thought for sure our course was going to be totally flooded out and closed for days and days, but the creeks barely went over the banks for a short time, the sun came out and the wind blew and dried things up, and it was closed for only a day after the rain.

What also stunk about that tournament was that I played a practice round a couple days before.  It was warm, strong winds from the south, which is the prevailing wind, and the course was rock hard and the ball was rolling out like crazy.  The exact opposite wind and ground conditions that we actually played.....

WITB

Srixon-Z Star XV