2024 Wells Fargo Championship WITB Photos ×

WRXers Scratch Amateur Tournaments Thread: Commitments, Results, etc....

Obee

Played in my state am qualifier on the 25th. It was my second time trying to qualify, shot a 74 last year and missed it by 4 I think (it was at a pretty easy course). My game has been feeling great this past month so I knew I could qualify if I played well.

Started off really strong and was -2 thru 10. Had a rough stretch where I went bogey, double, par, bogey. Checked the scoring and thought I had to get back to even to qualify. Birdied 15 and then put a wedge to about 15 feet on 16. Thought I needed to make it so I got a little too aggressive and ended up rolling it about 6 feet passed and missing the come backer. Nearly chipped in for bird on 17 and made a par on 18 for another 74. 73 ended up being a playoff so it’s tough knowing I only missed it by one but overall I’m very happy with how I played and am already excited for next year!

• Like 3

On 5/24/2023 at 5:24 AM, dmecca2 said:

Played in the Philadelphia Mid-Am the 22nd and 23rd at Old York Road CC, which is Philadelphia's first Major of the year. I shot a +3 first in the round that put me in 11th place, 3 shots back of the lead. Day 2 I knew I needed to make something happen, but a bladed wedge on my second hole led to a double and I thought I was out of it, until I birdied 3 in a row to get to 1 shot back. I made 1 bogey coming in (a 3 putt from 5 feet) and posted at +2 for the tournament. I went to the range and watched all of the leaders struggle on the difficult course and before I knew it, I had won the tournament by 1. It's the first time someone from Northeast PA has won this event in its 40 year history. Overall, my putting was the main reason I won, which is unbelievable considering how bad it has been recently. I switched putters (again) on Monday and it worked out. Hopefully I can win more Philly Majors, and I'm excited to play in more Philadelphia events, now that I will have a lot of exemptions.

https://gapgolf.org/40th-gapmidam-final-round-recap/

Dude!!! That is absolutely FANTASTIC!!!!

• Like 1

PING G400 Max - Atmos Tour Spec Red - 65s
Titleist TSi2 16.5* 4w - Tensei Blue - 65s

Titleist TSi2 3H (18*), 4H (21*) - Tensei Blue 65s
Adams Idea Tech V4 5H, 6H, 7H ProLaunch Blue 75 HY x-stiff
Titleist AP2 716 8i 37* KBS Tour S; Titleist AP2 716 9i 42* KBS Tour S
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 46* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 mid-bounce 50* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 full-sole 56* DG s400
Cleveland RTX-4 low-bounce 60* DG s400
PING Sigma 2 Valor 400 Counter-Balanced, 38"

• 2 weeks later...

Had a bad day at the office yesterday!

36 hole County order of merit event around a fairly typical England members course - 6500 yards long, tight and fiddly with small greens

Shot 79 - 74 and didn't really feel comfortable all day until the back 9 of the second round! 

I've run my stats but trying not to over think it, it just was a bad day really with my stats falling in to the general trend I see but slightly worse than usual.  

A bit of a frustrating week golf wise, had to pull out of another 36 hole event a few days ago as my Crohns was playing up a bit too much for golf. 

• Like 1

Driver - Taylormade SIM 10.5°

3 wood - Titleist 910f 15°

Hybrid- Titleist 910h°

Irons - Mizuno 919 Tour 4 - PW

Wedges - Titleist SM7 51 / 55 / 60 DG

Putter - Yes! Callie

Ball - Titleist Pro v1x

• 1 month later...

This year has been quite an obnoxious one for my golf tournaments. My alternate shot foursomes event in England in April we made it to the final, but then lost. I played my 100th game in it - I'm only the 72nd person to reach 100 games. That's pretty cool I think.

Then first event of the year is one round strokeplay and top 16 go into matchplay. I thought I had played decently enough to qualify for the matchplay, but that evening I got a call while at my daughter's baseball game asking if I would be making the playoff. I would not, so missed out on that one.

Then had a mediocre round in the Ike qualifier - shot 78 and missed by 6. Next up is the pub links qualifier. I missed by one shot with a three putt on 18.

Then the Long Island Amateur - one round and top 31 plus defending champ go into matchplay. Wound up in a 10 for 1 playoff and did not get through.

Next the Hebron at Bethpage Black. Not an easy day but I made a lot of pars and hit a lot of good shots. 13 pars, 3 doubles and 2 bogeys. Missed cut by 1 shot.

Then the Met Am qualifier on Monday - that's at Friar's Head this year, so would have been nice to get through. I birdied 17 to get back to even, hit a great tee shot on 18 and had 7 iron from 178 - my hand slipped on the grip and I fanned it in the right bunker, made 5. Needed a 3 to get through. Shot 71, pretty happy with that all in all. Met Am is seriously hard to get through - only 4 spots and ties from a pretty full field.

Next is the Met Open qualifier on Thursday next week. Probably need to shoot -3 to get into that one, depending on the wind, but it's a stacked field with a lot of good pros playing in it. Will be fun. And I will report back. It feels like it would be in character this year for me to miss by one shot.

• Like 4

Ping G430 LST 9° Diamana white 63x
Ping G410 LST 3 wood Diamana Thump x
Srixon ZX Utility 19 C-taper S+

Srixon ZX7 4-AW C-taper S+

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Odyssey Eleven Tour-Lined Slant

1 minute ago, Soloman1 said:

And did it playing in this ridiculous heat. Good job!

Haha thanks, hopefully it’s a bit cooler in August 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

TSR2 8.0 Ventus TR Black 6-X

TSR2+ 13.0 Ventus Blue 8-TX

M5 5 wood Ventus Blue 9-TX

TSR3 4 hybrid Tour AD DI-105X

T100 4-5/ 716 CB 6-P MMT 125-TX

SM9 54D, 59T Modus 125X
LAB DF3 34” TPT     ‘24 TP5X

On 7/21/2023 at 6:32 PM, Ty_Webb said:

This year has been quite an obnoxious one for my golf tournaments. My alternate shot foursomes event in England in April we made it to the final, but then lost. I played my 100th game in it - I'm only the 72nd person to reach 100 games. That's pretty cool I think.

Then first event of the year is one round strokeplay and top 16 go into matchplay. I thought I had played decently enough to qualify for the matchplay, but that evening I got a call while at my daughter's baseball game asking if I would be making the playoff. I would not, so missed out on that one.

Then had a mediocre round in the Ike qualifier - shot 78 and missed by 6. Next up is the pub links qualifier. I missed by one shot with a three putt on 18.

Then the Long Island Amateur - one round and top 31 plus defending champ go into matchplay. Wound up in a 10 for 1 playoff and did not get through.

Next the Hebron at Bethpage Black. Not an easy day but I made a lot of pars and hit a lot of good shots. 13 pars, 3 doubles and 2 bogeys. Missed cut by 1 shot.

Then the Met Am qualifier on Monday - that's at Friar's Head this year, so would have been nice to get through. I birdied 17 to get back to even, hit a great tee shot on 18 and had 7 iron from 178 - my hand slipped on the grip and I fanned it in the right bunker, made 5. Needed a 3 to get through. Shot 71, pretty happy with that all in all. Met Am is seriously hard to get through - only 4 spots and ties from a pretty full field.

Next is the Met Open qualifier on Thursday next week. Probably need to shoot -3 to get into that one, depending on the wind, but it's a stacked field with a lot of good pros playing in it. Will be fun. And I will report back. It feels like it would be in character this year for me to miss by one shot.

Good news and bad news. I did not miss by 1 today. I didn't make it either. It was a tough day out there. Very windy and VERY hot. I think I may have missed by 12 in the end. But on the plus side, although I didn't make it into the Met Amateur last week, I did finish in the top 5 mid-ams that day and that was enough to qualify for the Met Mid-Amateur, which is at Country Club of Fairfield in October. Very excited about that. It's a great tournament. Hope the weather is nice 🙂

• Like 4

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

Playing a 3 day no cut event next weekend which will be nice for some competitive reps, just have to endure the Texas heat somehow. Preparing for a US Mid Am qualifier in a couple weeks. 

• Like 2

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

31 minutes ago, dmecca2 said:

Since my GAP Mid-Am victory, I have played in the GAP Amateur, a couple of work scrambles, my local golf associations stroke play event, and two member guests.

In the Philly am, I did not have my best stuff. I was hot at some points, and very cold at some points, and I ultimately missed the cut for match play. Pretty disappointing for how well I have been playing.

My next event was Glenmaura National's member guest tournament. In Northeast PA, we take our member guests pretty seriously, and they are all gross. No handicaps applied for the championship flights. I teamed up with a friend who is a 5 handicap and we had some stiff competition. I shot 67 all three days on my own ball, for 65, 65, 66 better ball scores and a win by 2 shots. This was my first member guest win at a major course.

The following day, I played in the Northeast Championship at The Country Club of Scranton. Which is our local golf associations 18 hole stroke play event. After joining the Golf Association of Philadelphia, this tournament is open to the entire region and is given points towards their player of the year standings. I played very well on the front 9, and had birdie chances on every hole, but I couldn't convert until the 9th. After an OB drive on 12, I thought my chances were done, until I made a putt from off the green on 16, then eagled 18 to tie the clubhouse lead at -2. After waiting all day, I got into a playoff with a kid from Saucon Valley. The first playoff hole I 3 putted for par, the second I had to make a 13 foot birdie putt to match his stellar approach, and then on the next hole(a par 3) I stuck my iron to 2 feet to win.

1 week later, I got a last second invite to play in the Member Guest at The Country Club of Scranton due to another player not making it. I played with an older member who struggled reaching par 4's from the back tees, but had a good short game. I continued my hot streak, shooting -7, -1, -4 on my own ball to get into a playoff and then, again, won on the 3rd playoff hole.

I have one more member guest with my dad to complete my member guest season, with GAP's prestigious Patterson Cup the following week. Hopefully I can continue playing well and winning tournaments, as this has been my best summer ever!!

Great work!

SM9 54D, 59T Modus 125X

7 hours ago, pb_n_joe said:

Qualified for my first USGA championship yesterday - headed to Sleepy Hollow for the US Mid-Am! Felt great to get one across the finish line after a few close calls in qualifiers over the past 18 months (missed US Mid-Am by 1 last year, lost in a playoff for second alternate at US Open locals in May, finished 10th in US Am qualifying a few weeks ago). The drama was at an all time high for this one, including a double bogey, a hole out eagle from 135yd, and a bogey on 18 to miss getting thru outright with the other two guys at -3. Ended up in a 2-for-1 playoff and got it done with a par on the first hole.

Was fun playing with you at the US Am Qualifier, good luck!

• Like 1

Ping G430 LST 10.5* GD AD-DI 8X

Taylormade Sim Ti 15* UST Lin-Q 8F5

PXG 0311X HZRDUS 105 TX

Ping Blueprint S 4-5 KBS Tour V 120X

Ping Blueprint T 6-PW KBS Tour V 120X

Titleist SM10 52F/56F/60T KBS Hi-Rev 2.0 125S
Taylormade Spyder Aluminum Face

On 7/28/2023 at 8:34 AM, TLUBulldogGolf said:

Playing a 3 day no cut event next weekend which will be nice for some competitive reps, just have to endure the Texas heat somehow. Preparing for a US Mid Am qualifier in a couple weeks. 

Shot 74-75-71 to finish 15th, barely endured the heat lol. About 5 bad swings cost me a chance from being further up the board but my iron play and short game is really coming around.

On 8/1/2023 at 3:57 PM, pb_n_joe said:

Qualified for my first USGA championship yesterday - headed to Sleepy Hollow for the US Mid-Am! Felt great to get one across the finish line after a few close calls in qualifiers over the past 18 months (missed US Mid-Am by 1 last year, lost in a playoff for second alternate at US Open locals in May, finished 10th in US Am qualifying a few weeks ago). The drama was at an all time high for this one, including a double bogey, a hole out eagle from 135yd, and a bogey on 18 to miss getting thru outright with the other two guys at -3. Ended up in a 2-for-1 playoff and got it done with a par on the first hole.

That's awesome, hoping to join you!

• Like 3

Titleist TSi3 10* TPO 1K 60-TX
Callaway Ai Smoke TD 15* Devotion HB 75-X
Titleist T200 3 UB Thump 90-X / TSr3 19* Ventus Black 10-TX
Mizuno MP-20 4-9 PX 6.5

Mizuno T20 47-07 PX 6.5

Mizuno T22 52-09 56-10 PX 6.5

Vokey SM9 60-04T PX Wedge 6.5
Special Select Squareback 2 w/ SuperStroke Pistol GT 1.0

ProV1x

7 minutes ago, bortass said:

@Sean124 Congrats on the HIO!

Thanks! 2nd in 30+ years

SM9 54D, 59T Modus 125X

I've had a decent summer of tournament golf, with only one big event left.  

I started in May with a Texas Amateur qualifier.  I shot 79 and wasn't even close on a water logged housing development course.  Three bad swings cost me 6 shots, but even without those it still wouldn't have been good enough.  From there I shot 69 in a city qualifier for my first tournament round in the 60s in a long time.  It's a very easy course, but still nice to put all the shots together.

To wrap up the summer of qualifiers, I had a TX mid am and a US mid am.  I shot 71 (even) in the TX mid am qualifier to get through by two shots.  I played very nicely this day after a rocky start.  Hooked my first tee shot into a hazard, but made a great 5 from there.  On the second hole, I hooked it into a hazard again and made double.  I stayed patient and played the last 16 holes -2 to finish at even.  I'm looking forward to the TX mid am championship at the end of September.

Lastly, I took a shot at the US mid am.  I did not have a driver swing on this day and was getting outdriven by 50-70 yards on some holes.  But I hung in there and was +1 through 16.  I knew that wasn't going to be good enough so I pressed on the last two holes for a birdie and ended up doubling both to shoot 77.  I'm pleased that I held it together well with my C game and don't regret going for it at the end.  Just wish I could have hit the shots!

• Like 3

We held our Senior club championship this week, I managed to win but there was only one other guy who was really in contention, he won last year,  we played Tuesday and Wednesday.   Shot 69-75, didn't have my A game, but it was from the forward tees which made it much easier.  Had a 4 shot lead after day one, and after a birdie on 14 and the guy in second three putting, I had my 4 shot lead with 4 to go.  But I three putted 15 and 16 from long distance, and he birdied both, so with 2 to go we were tied.   I managed a nice birdie on 17 while he made a par from the trees, and things looked better. 

On 18 I laid up with a 3 wood to keep short of a bunker that is not even remotely in play from the back tees, hooked it a bit and thought I was fine.  Got down to my ball and I'm in the left rough, and I was 5-6 yards past my competitor who hit driver (and he is probably longer off the tee than me), he is just clear of a tree with 90 yards to the pin, I have to punch under that same tree.  I left it short of the green, hit an indifferent chip 12 feet past the hole and missed my putt to win after he missed his 20 foot birdie putt. 

So we went to a playoff off number one.   Our first hole is a sharp dogleg right over a pond, with a creek all the way down the left on the second shot, and in play off the tee, its a par 5 and a much different hole from the white tees than the back tees. From the back tee, a lot of people just lay up left.  Anyway, the other guy goes first, he hits a perfect drive, you have to hit a bit of a cut to get where he was and he did, I hit this shot in regulation.  He has maybe 140 in to the pin.  I pull it a bit and don't cut it and it goes what looks like into the hazard in the distance, and I figure its over.  We get down there and my ball is not down in the creek, its in the hazard in some trees but playable.   Attached is a picture:  My ball is the red X, the line is my competitors drive.

Anyway, I chip it out on to the fairway about 135 to the pin.  He hits it on the green but a long way from the hole and will have a fairly hard 2 putt.   The wind is in my face and its slightly up hill, so I tried to hit a low 8 iron where it might be a hard PW under normal circumstances.  I hit it right at the pin but end up about 15 feet short, but almost on the exact line I had in the morning.  He rolled his long putt to about a foot, which was a great putt, I then rolled in mine to match him. 

The second hole we both hit great drives, I wedged it to about 15 feet right of the hole, he pulled his just left of the green but not bad, then he chipped about 4-5 feet past.   I hit a poor putt off line but it was about a foot away and I figure we are going to the next, then he missed his 5 footer, game over and kind of anti-climatic.   But a win is a win.....

I don't know why we held this event in the middle of the week,  I just don't understand. Last year we held the Senior Championship on a weekend in June and had 2-3 more people playing.  And today (Friday) was supposed to be the start of the 3 day regular club championship.  But with high temperatures forecasted at 106 for these 3 days, they dropped the Friday round and we are just playing 18 Saturday and Sunday. Last year's club championship was moved at the last minute and I couldn't play.    Hope I play half way decent the next couple of days.

HT1.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

WITB
Ping G430 Max 10K Tour 2.0 Chrome S 65

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Blue limited  75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

34 minutes ago, Mike_C said:

We held our Senior club championship this week, I managed to win but there was only one other guy who was really in contention, he won last year,  we played Tuesday and Wednesday.   Shot 69-75, didn't have my A game, but it was from the forward tees which made it much easier.  Had a 4 shot lead after day one, and after a birdie on 14 and the guy in second three putting, I had my 4 shot lead with 4 to go.  But I three putted 15 and 16 from long distance, and he birdied both, so with 2 to go we were tied.   I managed a nice birdie on 17 while he made a par from the trees, and things looked better. 

On 18 I laid up with a 3 wood to keep short of a bunker that is not even remotely in play from the back tees, hooked it a bit and thought I was fine.  Got down to my ball and I'm in the left rough, and I was 5-6 yards past my competitor who hit driver (and he is probably longer off the tee than me), he is just clear of a tree with 90 yards to the pin, I have to punch under that same tree.  I left it short of the green, hit an indifferent chip 12 feet past the hole and missed my putt to win after he missed his 20 foot birdie putt. 

So we went to a playoff off number one.   Our first hole is a sharp dogleg right over a pond, with a creek all the way down the left on the second shot, and in play off the tee, its a par 5 and a much different hole from the white tees than the back tees. From the back tee, a lot of people just lay up left.  Anyway, the other guy goes first, he hits a perfect drive, you have to hit a bit of a cut to get where he was and he did, I hit this shot in regulation.  He has maybe 140 in to the pin.  I pull it a bit and don't cut it and it goes what looks like into the hazard in the distance, and I figure its over.  We get down there and my ball is not down in the creek, its in the hazard in some trees but playable.   Attached is a picture:  My ball is the red X, the line is my competitors drive.

Anyway, I chip it out on to the fairway about 135 to the pin.  He hits it on the green but a long way from the hole and will have a fairly hard 2 putt.   The wind is in my face and its slightly up hill, so I tried to hit a low 8 iron where it might be a hard PW under normal circumstances.  I hit it right at the pin but end up about 15 feet short, but almost on the exact line I had in the morning.  He rolled his long putt to about a foot, which was a great putt, I then rolled in mine to match him. 

The second hole we both hit great drives, I wedged it to about 15 feet right of the hole, he pulled his just left of the green but not bad, then he chipped about 4-5 feet past.   I hit a poor putt off line but it was about a foot away and I figure we are going to the next, then he missed his 5 footer, game over and kind of anti-climatic.   But a win is a win.....

I don't know why we held this event in the middle of the week,  I just don't understand. Last year we held the Senior Championship on a weekend in June and had 2-3 more people playing.  And today (Friday) was supposed to be the start of the 3 day regular club championship.  But with high temperatures forecasted at 106 for these 3 days, they dropped the Friday round and we are just playing 18 Saturday and Sunday. Last year's club championship was moved at the last minute and I couldn't play.    Hope I play half way decent the next couple of days.

HT1.JPG

Nice win and well done.

• Like 1

Follow up from Club Championship weekend after winning Senior Championship.  Didn't play particularly well either day, seems the more I played under tournament conditions in the wind, the more my swing got steep.  I can get away with that from inside 175 yards, but you can't hit the long clubs that way.  Day one got off the bad start, missed 5 footer for birdie on one, double from the fairway on two, 3 putt from tough long putt on four.  On 5 hit one of the worst drives of the year, fat high hook into the wind that went into the water.  Laid up OK I thought, and that went into the water right, then wedged to 8 feet and made it for bogey 6.   Then went birdie, birdie and settled down. next ten holes pars and one birdie and bogey, and has some other good birdie chances. Finished with a 3 putt from 50 feet off the back of the green for a 75, two shots back, and tied with the guy I beat in the Senior on Wednesday. 

Day two was not great ball striking, but kept it in play most of the day, but my putter really let me down, if you count putts from the fringe I had 37 putts and shot 80, just made nothing over 3 feet, burned the edges/or miss read putts all day.  But didn't really hit many close either.  The guy who I beat earlier in the week  ended up winning, but he only shot 76, but he made well over 100 feet of putts.  I guess with temperatures going up to 105 in the afternoon and fairly windy conditions just wore me down.

• Like 1

WITB
Ping G430 Max 10K Tour 2.0 Chrome S 65

TaylorMade Qi10 Tour 3 and 5 wood, Tensei AV Blue limited  75

Matlby TS3 4-5, Matlby TS4 6-GW, Recoil Dart V 105 F4

RTX Zipcore  Tour Rack 54, 60

Spider Tour S CB 38 inches

Srixon-Z Star XV

How do you guys mentally handle going low? I'm looking to get back into tournament golf, and last week I was playing with some friends. I was -2 after 9 (and could've easily been lower), but was so nervous to not "mess up my under par score." I was mentally and physically nervous. So, led to a defensive swing on 10 tee that went OB that led to a double. Then I was just defeated and upset, which led to the next couple holes being poor. Ended up 34-41 - 75. I've shot under par before, but it was with some friends where I wasn't paying attention to the score until the very end (-4). Any tips for the mental game? I just bought Your 15th Club by Bob Rotella to read based on a friend's advice to try to help but would love your insight. I think I primarily struggle with:

- Not getting angsty after stacking up a few birdies. All throughout the round all I could think about was my score (especially once I was a couple under)

- Dealing with the nerves as the good round is building up

- Not getting defeated or upset after making a mistake. I'm too hard on myself

32 minutes ago, FuzzyKnuckles said:

How do you guys mentally handle going low? I'm looking to get back into tournament golf, and last week I was playing with some friends. I was -2 after 9 (and could've easily been lower), but was so nervous to not "mess up my under par score." I was mentally and physically nervous. So, led to a defensive swing on 10 tee that went OB that led to a double. Then I was just defeated and upset, which led to the next couple holes being poor. Ended up 34-41 - 75. I've shot under par before, but it was with some friends where I wasn't paying attention to the score until the very end (-4). Any tips for the mental game? I just bought Your 15th Club by Bob Rotella to read based on a friend's advice to try to help but would love your insight. I think I primarily struggle with:

- Not getting angsty after stacking up a few birdies. All throughout the round all I could think about was my score (especially once I was a couple under)

Given I'm in uncharted territory playing some of my best golf in recent months, I can speak to this a bit and share some learnings. In some of the "close calls" in tournaments I mentioned in a prior comment, I felt similar nerves once I reached a few under par and realized I was in contention (e.g. I was -4 thru 6 and leading US Open local qualifying, T1 thru 17 at US Mid Am qualifying). Getting mentally and physically nervous is real for all of us (adrenaline kicks in, hands start shaking on putts, etc.), but I have actually come to love this feeling - it's quite the rush and the closest thing I'll feel to hitting a buzzer beater 3 to win the NBA finals.

In addition to relishing these moments and truly enjoying the fact that you're having one of those special days, the best mental adjustment I've made after a few of these situations is to keep my foot on the gas rather than trying to protect a score. If you're playing well enough to get a few under par, you're playing well enough to make a few more birdies. So the best thing you can do is to keep hitting the committed shots that got you there, rather than changing your strategy and playing more defensively (the latter will usually lead to unforced errors). Instead of "let's protect this score," think "let's see how low we can go" or "let's set a new PR." "We're going for a wild ride - let's have some fun."

Recognize that good breaks resulting in birdies are just as likely to happen as bad breaks resulting in bogeys, but you can always walk away feeling good about committing to your gameplan / strategy and hitting smart, committed shots. Accept that the outcomes will be mixed - some days you'll blow it and some days you'll execute to near perfection. Both types of days will be memorable and there will always be something to learn from your round.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, pb_n_joe said:

Given I'm in uncharted territory playing some of my best golf in recent months, I can speak to this a bit and share some learnings. In some of the "close calls" in tournaments I mentioned in a prior comment, I felt similar nerves once I reached a few under par and realized I was in contention (e.g. I was -4 thru 6 and leading US Open local qualifying, T1 thru 17 at US Mid Am qualifying). Getting mentally and physically nervous is real for all of us (adrenaline kicks in, hands start shaking on putts, etc.), but I have actually come to love this feeling - it's quite the rush and the closest thing I'll feel to hitting a buzzer beater 3 to win the NBA finals.

In addition to relishing these moments and truly enjoying the fact that you're having one of those special days, the best mental adjustment I've made after a few of these situations is to keep my foot on the gas rather than trying to protect a score. If you're playing well enough to get a few under par, you're playing well enough to make a few more birdies. So the best thing you can do is to keep hitting the committed shots that got you there, rather than changing your strategy and playing more defensively (the latter will usually lead to unforced errors). Instead of "let's protect this score," think "let's see how low we can go" or "let's set a new PR." "We're going for a wild ride - let's have some fun."

Recognize that good breaks resulting in birdies are just as likely to happen as bad breaks resulting in bogeys, but you can always walk away feeling good about committing to your gameplan / strategy and hitting smart, committed shots. Accept that the outcomes will be mixed - some days you'll blow it and some days you'll execute to near perfection. Both types of days will be memorable and there will always be something to learn from your round.

I really appreciate that my man! It is encouraging to hear that you also feel the nerves and adrenaline, but that I need to lean into it. I won't lie, it was a ton of fun. Just need a little more experience playing under par which will come over time. My two worst swings last weekend were when I was trying to swing slow and "guarded", so I love the idea about keeping the foot on the gas. Thank you for your response

• Like 2

I think @pb_n_joeis basically right.  As I mentioned above, I shot my first tournament round in the 60s in a few years this summer.  For me there are two things.  First, speak the lower score into existence.  Think or speak that -2 is not enough.  I want another birdie. I'm going to stuff another iron. Etc.

The second thing is something that has taken me the last 5 years to get better at and that is complete devotion to my process.  All that matters is that I go through my routine and hit the feels that make my swing work.  That is what I think about religiously.  When I can't sleep, I think about my feels and motions.  When I have a big shot and I'm under par, I can find comfort in my process.  Stick to my process, stick to my process, stick to my process.  When this becomes the goal, rather than the score, you don't get as nervous because your mind has something it is used to focusing on.  It is always the same, whether I am +2 or -5.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, CMCSGolf said:

I think @pb_n_joeis basically right.  As I mentioned above, I shot my first tournament round in the 60s in a few years this summer.  For me there are two things.  First, speak the lower score into existence.  Think or speak that -2 is not enough.  I want another birdie. I'm going to stuff another iron. Etc.

The second thing is something that has taken me the last 5 years to get better at and that is complete devotion to my process.  All that matters is that I go through my routine and hit the feels that make my swing work.  That is what I think about religiously.  When I can't sleep, I think about my feels and motions.  When I have a big shot and I'm under par, I can find comfort in my process.  Stick to my process, stick to my process, stick to my process.  When this becomes the goal, rather than the score, you don't get as nervous because your mind has something it is used to focusing on.  It is always the same, whether I am +2 or -5.

Thank you! Great things to think about and apply.

One thing I know people do to help deal with getting outside their comfort zone is playing from the front tees. Play your game and go as low as you can. Once you get used to being under par it becomes easier to do it from the back tees. It's never easy, but once you do it once, you might well find the floodgates open.

I did hear a story about Greg Norman. When he was young, he'd find himself at -7 or so through 10 holes and think -7 is enough, so he'd change his mindset and play safely. Fritter a couple of shots and wind up shooting 65-67. Then one day he was -7 through 10 again and he thought to himself, if I'm -7 through 10, then I could get to -11 through 18. He shot 61 and never looked back. If you're -2 or whatever through 10-12 holes, then don't change your gameplan. It's clearly working that day. If you drop a few, at least you went down fighting.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Vokey SM9 54F and 58C

On 8/17/2023 at 2:09 PM, FuzzyKnuckles said:

Experience and doing it over and over. I couldn't tell you how many times I was under par coming down the stretch and finished bogey, double, double, blah blah blah. After you do it enough, the nerves get less and less. I've tried the, "let's see how low I can go" technique, and in my opinion, it's a cheap mental trick that doesn't work most of the time. I've started watching pros to see what they do when they reach a good score, and i've seen that it's no different from an even par round. They've been there and failed just as much as they've succeeded at finishing, that it just turns into another round no matter what they shoot.

So in the end, my advice is to go out there and fail. Don't be afraid of failure, because it will happen. Eventually, you will succeed. And you can look back and remember the times that you've succeeded and draw confidence from them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

First season of senior Am golf, turned 55 at Xmas

finished 7th in our provincial Senior Am 2 weeks back

had never seen the course before and the practice round was rained out.  Was sick as a dog with a fever and it was a week where it was 90 and humid

shot 2 under 70 day 1 but could’ve been lower hitting 17 greens, 33 putts.  Sitting in 3rd.  Eagled one par 5 with a blast from 245 to a foot and also birdied both par 5’s on the back … I started on 10.  Was the only guy in the afternoon wave in the top 20 based on tough conditions.  Was 4 under with 4 to go and had a pitch rattle the pin on a par 4, which could’ve got me to 6 under.  I then would’ve barfed all over myself.  Anyways, drove it 6” into a pond on 6 and 3 putted the remaining par 5 seventh for bogey to give 2 bad strokes back

day 2.  78, 14 greens hit, 37 putts, 40kmh winds, only dropped 2 spots in very trying conditions to fifth place.  Should’ve been a 73 but kept burning edges on 4-5 footers.  Small greens, pins buried, fast. Etc

day 3.  2nd last group.  76 with 36 putts.  Hit 8 greens on front and shoot 40 with a 3 putt on 1 from 15 feet (nerves) and 3 putt on 9 from 50 feet, 220 uphill into wind par 3.   Hole 8 killed me.  Greenside trap, baked mud on downslope, shortsided, bounced and bladed = double.  Shoot 36 on back side.  Back 9 was almost epic …… miss 11 foot birdie on 10, miss 5 foot birdie on 11, bogey par 3 12, make 15 footer to birdie 13, 2 putt 14 from 70 feet, miss 4 foot par with lip out on 15, 3 putt par 5 16 for par, lip out 4 foot bird on par 5 17, Make 4 foot bird on 18.

The ball striking is on point.  Could’ve been a top 3 with better putting, but top 10 gets me lots of ranking points and exemptions for next summer.  

event won by a former NHL player fwiw.

have the Canadian Seniors in 2 weeks.  Hoping to get into the British Senior Am next summer.  Will try Florida senior this winter.

• Like 4

Ping G430 10k Blueboard 53x

Cally AI Smoke 3w 17* Ventus Black 5x

Ping G400 7w 19.5* Ventus Red 6x

Ping G425 4h 22* Fuji TourSpec 8.2s

Ping i210 & s55 6 - PW Steelfiber 110s

Ping Glide Wrx 49*, 54*, 59*, Tour W 64* SF 125s

Scotty GoLo