Best driver for a positive AoA?

PanchiCab

I’m just curious to know what are the best driver options right now for someone who hits up on the ball. I’ve read numerous post talking about low spinning heads and higher moi but not many talks about angle of attack. My avg ss is 111mph, hit +5 up on the ball, swing path mainly in to out and my general miss is high toe big hook. I’m gaming the original m1 460 9.5 head at 8.25 with aldila rogue silver 60x and want to know if i’m missing something against the new offerings

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I’m just curious to know what are the best driver options right now for someone who hits up on the ball. I’ve read numerous post talking about low spinning heads and higher moi but not many talks about angle of attack. My avg ss is 111mph, hit +5 up on the ball, swing path mainly in to out and my general miss is high toe big hook. I’m gaming the original m1 460 9.5 head at 8.25 with aldila rogue silver 60x and want to know if i’m missing something against the new offerings

You talk about reading "numerous posts talking about low spinning heads" yet you don't tell us what your spin rate is.

You're a 14 handicapper but you don't mention your driving "problem" which one must assume you have or you wouldn't be asking about the driver.

So how is anyone supposed to help you ?

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

You talk about reading "numerous posts talking about low spinning heads" yet you don't tell us what your spin rate is.

You're a 14 handicapper but you don't mention your driving "problem" which one must assume you have or you wouldn't be asking about the driver.

sorry i’m not an expert in these things. I’ve just checked my numbers from my last fitting session almost a year ago and i was hitting it at 13* of launch with 2900 spin and 1.43 ratio. Don’t know if thats good or bad. My driving problem it’s a big low hook but my teacher told my thats a strike issue so it would be more or less the same with any driver, i really didn’€™t test anything newer since 2016 so i’m just basically asking if there’s a real improvement in drivers for someone of my specs in the last few years cause in my area the only brand i could demo is ping but they only carry stiff shafts cause the demand is low so mainly my friends and i shop online

sorry i’m not an expert in these things. I’ve just check my numbers from my last fitting session almost a year ago and i was hitting it at 13* of launch with 2900 spin and 1.43 ratio. Don’t know if thats good or bad. My driving problem it’s a big low hook but my teacher told my thats a strike issue so it would be more or less the same with any driver, i really don’t test anything newer since 2016 so i’m just basically asking if there’s a real improvement in drivers for someone of my specs in the last few years cause in my area the only brand i could demo is ping but they only carry stiff shafts cause the demand is low so mainly my friends and i shop online

You said in your original post that your general miss was a "high toe big hook". So it's a low toe hook ?

I can't recall any drivers being sold according to angle of attack. 5* up is quite a bit and while high launch and low spin is a good combination, if you're accentuating your angle of attack solely to gain that high launch, a) it's not working (at 13*) and b) it's been said here on WRX by some instructors that chasing an upward angle of attack often comes at the expense of accuracy, usually not a good tradeoff.

At 111 mph you're in "X" territory but I personally think weight is just as, or more, important than stiffness, especially since stiffness is only relative within the same MODEL shaft of the same manufacturer. Possible a "70" weight shaft would work better for you - it would probably reduce your spin rate.

But the M1, if I recall correctly, should be a lower spin head and the Rogue Silver, while I'm not familiar with that shaft at all is, I believe a lower spin shaft.

That being the case it's quite possible your issues are your swing mechanics and not the equipment.

You mention a "teacher". What does he/she say ? All else being equal perhaps you're just standing a bit too far away from the ball (toe hit) and perhaps you need to tee the ball up just a bit higher to offset the low on the face hit.

Callaway Epic Flash SZ 9.0 Ventus Blue 6S

Ping G425 14.5 Fairway Tour AD TP 6X

Ping G425 MAX 20.5 7 wood Diamana Blue 70 S

Titleist 716 AP-1  5-PW, DGS300

Ping Glide Forged, 48, DGS300

Taylormade MG3 52*, 56*, TW 60* DGS200

LAB Mezz Max 34*, RED, BGT Stability

Titleist Pro V1X

sorry i’m not an expert in these things. I’ve just check my numbers from my last fitting session almost a year ago and i was hitting it at 13* of launch with 2900 spin and 1.43 ratio. Don’t know if thats good or bad. My driving problem it’s a big low hook but my teacher told my thats a strike issue so it would be more or less the same with any driver, i really don’t test anything newer since 2016 so i’m just basically asking if there’s a real improvement in drivers for someone of my specs in the last few years cause in my area the only brand i could demo is ping but they only carry stiff shafts cause the demand is low so mainly my friends and i shop online

You said in your original post that your general miss was a "high toe big hook". So it's a low toe hook ?

I can't recall any drivers being sold according to angle of attack. 5* up is quite a bit and while high launch and low spin is a good combination, if you're accentuating your angle of attack solely to gain that high launch, a) it's not working (at 13*) and b) it's been said here on WRX by some instructors that chasing an upward angle of attack often comes at the expense of accuracy, usually not a good tradeoff.

At 111 mph you're in "X" territory but I personally think weight is just as, or more, important than stiffness, especially since stiffness is only relative within the same MODEL shaft of the same manufacturer. Possible a "70" weight shaft would work better for you - it would probably reduce your spin rate.

But the M1, if I recall correctly, should be a lower spin head and the Rogue Silver, while I'm not familiar with that shaft at all is, I believe a lower spin shaft.

That being the case it's quite possible your issues are your swing mechanics and not the equipment.

You mention a "teacher". What does he/she say ? All else being equal perhaps you're just standing a bit too far away from the ball (toe hit) and perhaps you need to tee the ball up just a bit higher to offset the low on the face hit.

my main miss is a strike high on the face toe side that ends in a low flight snap hook shot. M1 for my limit knowledge its a low spin head, my shaft i really don’t know cause i was fitted for 2 years ago. I really don’t force to hit up on the ball, it’s just natural for me and my teacher said that im too much right handed dominant and i tend to cup my wrist a little bit so we work on motion like Dj and rahm but it’s a new drill, exagerate on bowing the wrist angle shorten the backswing a bit and it’s seems a good call cause i can hit baby fades sometimes but the hooks say hello every now an then so my index is hurting. Maybe i just need to tweak my settings and practice more instead of looking for a new driver

my main miss is a strike high on the face toe side that ends in a low flight snap hook shot. M1 for my limit knowledge its a low spin head, my shaft i really don’t know cause i was fitted for 2 years ago. I really don’t force to hit up on the ball, it’s just natural for me and my teacher said that im too much right handed dominant and i tend to cup my wrist a little bit so we work on motion like Dj and rahm but it’s a new drill, exagerate on bowing the wrist angle shorten the backswing a bit and it’s seems a good call cause i can hit baby fades sometimes but the hooks say hello every now an then so my index is hurting. Maybe i just need to tweak my settings and practice more instead of looking for a new driver

With regards to your miss, right hand dominant and cupping of the left wrist sounds like you have a lot of face rotation in the swing that you try to save with the right hand. Save it too much and you flip the face closed and thats how you're getting a low hook, don't save it enough and you flare it out to the right, does that sound familiar?

And with regards to your initial question, these guys are right in that there is no driver specifically meant for certain angles of attack. You have to go one level deeper and look at whether or not your AoA influences your strike location. Some people who really strive for a big positive AoA hit low on the face in which case a lower CG driver can help, but other than that its not really a factor to consider. It sounds like you've already identified some technical issues so I would focus all of your energy on that. If i'm right about the swing mechanic issue described above then no driver is going to help you there. Work on a more repeatable motion with your instructor and don't worry about equipment.

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

I have way high angle of attack, my miss low on the face and find that the super low spin drivers aren’t great for me because I would need a lot of loft to get the spin right and at that point I’m launching the ball at 18 or 19 degrees.

That being said I’ve toy’d With the idea of leveling out the swing a little bit but not a lot because consider yourself lucky that you hit up on the ball.

I’d get a new coach that wouldn’t overhaul what you do well naturally and worry about buying a new driver after about 10,000 swings with your current one.

What I’ve found is that consistently hitting the ball in the center of the face produces the best shots. Wow! Obvious, but think about simplifying your swing. For someone with a positive angle of attack, from the inside you could probbaly play most drivers and most shafts As long as you can middle it. Guys with negative angle of attack or high spin or have a hard time launching the ball... fitting more difficult.

I play the 2017 M1, 10.5 head.

Up til recently, I had it in "Upright" setting, with weights in middle settings on bias and spin. I've been hitting it well, if a little high but getting close to centre strikes in the main. I too am "right hand dominant to control face" so occasionally get a lift miss but I live with that as I had all but eliminated the right miss.

Last week I moved the weight forward a notch and set loft down to 9 degrees. It played quite well, a slightly lower flight which pleased my eye and very neutral in terms of shape. however, yesterday, it felt bloody horrible. OK, down to strike in the main but in those settings it was far less forgiving.

Anyway, it's going back to how I had it set previously. M1 is great if you middle it but not so friendly hen you don't, especially if that spin weight is anywhere forward of centre...

Regarding the OP question though, there's a good chart out there somewhere which shows optimum swing speed/launch/spin. surely thats the place to start?

https://www.tomfieldinggolf.net/distance--club-head-speed--square-impact--launch-angle.html

If you're 5 up with your 8.25, at your speed you're in the right zone. 2900 is probably 400-500 more than you want if we're being picky but I doubt your extra revs are harming you too much.

If you're looking for some justification to try something new, i guess it's there, just.... For what it's worth, the only driver that went further for me against my M1 was the Rogue Sub Zero. I couldn't justify the £429 at the time though. They've been reduced now though, so maybe worth a look.

Any properly fit driver would work for you though....

"my teacher told my thats a strike issue"

Run Forest Run!....find another teacher

Hogan's Secret.......it's in plain sight but not for everyone...
https://6sigmagolfrx.com/
2017 Taylormade M2 9.5 (set at 10.5) w/ Diamana S+ Blueboard 60 S
2010 Tour Edge Exotics XCG3 3W w/Fujikura Motore S 15 deg
2014 Taylormade SLDR S HL 3W 17deg Fujikura Speeder 65 R, shortened
2017 Tour Edge Exotics 3H UST Mamiya 670 S
2009 Callaway Xforged 3i w/ KBS tour S
2012 Cobra Amp Forged 4-GW w/ Fujikura Pro i95 S
2013 Miura forged 54 & 58 wedges - w/ DG Tour issue S
Ping Cadence Rustler Traditional putter

If you’re swinging 111mph, up 5* and in to out...you should be asking about putters not drivers.

Bing-freaking-o. What driver doesn’t work with that ? Sharpen the 125 and in game is all that requires

Callaway epic max LS 9* GD-M9003 7x 

TM Sim2 max tour  16* GD  ADHD 8x 

srixon zx 19* elements 9F5T 

Cobra king SZ 25.5* KBS TD cat 5 70 

TM p7mc 5-pw Mmt125tx 

Mizuno T22 raw 52-56-60 s400

LAB Mezz Max armlock 

Thanks for all the replies, your input just clarified my doubts, i’m ok with my specs right now cause i’m in the minority that hits up and with good speed. I’ll just keep working with my teacher to stabilized my path and keep my right wrist in control to get more fairways

Best of luck!

Titleist TSi3 9* Tensei AV White 65TX 2.0 // Taylormade SIM 10.5* Ventus TR Blue 6TX
Taylormade Stealth+ 16* Ventus Black 8x // Taylormade SIM Ti V2 16.5* Ventus TR Blue 7X
Callaway Apex UW 19* Ventus Black 8x // Srixon ZX Utility MKII 19* Nippon GOST Prototype Hybrid 10
Callaway X-Forged Single♦️  22* Nippon GOST Hybrid Tour X 
Bridgestone 
J40 DPC 4i-7i 24*- 35* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Bridgestone J40 CB 8i-PW 39*- 48* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0

Taylormade Milled Grind Raw 54* Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Vokey SM6 58* Oil Can Low Bounce K-Grind Brunswick Precision Rifle FCM 7.0
Scotty Cameron Newport Tour Red Dot || Taylormade Spider X Navy Slant

If you’re swinging 111mph, up 5* and in to out...you should be asking about putters not drivers.
hahaha the funny thing its that i’m better than avg with my putter (under 30putts from my last 20 rounds) but i miss so many fairways that my GIR is a whole quest

Interesting...you’ve provided some data, but not all that is required to resolve any dispersion issues. As good as those numbers are, they aren’t enough to overcome a face angle doesn’t work with you’re path. You’ll find what you’re looking for with that face to path number.

hahaha the funny thing its that i’m better than avg with my putter (under 30putts from my last 20 rounds) but i miss so many fairways that my GIR is a whole quest

Interesting...you’ve provided some data, but not all that is required to resolve any dispersion issues. As good as those numbers are, they aren’t enough to overcome a face angle doesn’t work with your path. You’ll find what you’re looking for with that face to path number.